The one AND ONLY "Fire Adelman" thread for 05-06

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we all know it's pretty much just a matter of time now... Unless the team starts to show something more than what we've seen lately, Rick Adelman won't be the first coach to be fired because of both things he did/didn't do and things the team did/didn't do that he really had no control over. It happens in the NBA all the time. In fact, I think we've been luckier than some because we have had the benefit of Adelman's coaching for quite a while.

When he departs, I hope those who have called for his head for SO long will at least have the common courtesy to acknowledge all the GOOD he has done for this franchise.

S

Smart_guy3

I think everyone appreciated what RA did for this franchise VF21 but we also realize his time is up with the Kings and I think his time was up 2 years ago but I do appreciated what he did for this franchise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, as a matter of fact, there are those who do NOT appreciate what Adelman did for the franchise. I know it will do no good whatsoever to try and explain, so I'll let it go. Some of you will never really know what it was like BEFORE Adelman.

S

Smart_guy3

VF21 said:
No, as a matter of fact, there are those who do NOT appreciate what Adelman did for the franchise. I know it will do no good whatsoever to try and explain, so I'll let it go. Some of you will never really know what it was like BEFORE Adelman.
I think the people who don't, appreciate what RA did for this franchise are the ones who are frustrated cause we never win the Championship...

VF21 said:
There is the breed of fan existing that ALWAYS hates the coach of their favorite team, whether it be the NBA, NFL, etc., no matter what happens with the team. I wish I was creative enough to think of a identifying name for this breed of fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Smart_guy3 said:
I think the people who don't, appreciate what RA did for this franchise are the ones who are frustrated cause we never win the Championship...
Then those people are fools.

Smart_guy3 said:
Of course its frustrating and disappointing. But, if a championship is a person's only measuring stick, they're gonna be frustrated and disappointed A LOT. They better get used to it.

Championship or not, I'll take what we had for 6 or so years over the entire existence of the Sacramento Kings before that. It was fun, it was exhilarating, it was high quality basketball and, man, I loved it.

People might go back and see how many franchises HAVE won a championship since Adelman's been here in Sacto. Or even the last 15 or so years. A lot of things have to come together just right for it to happen. Its hardly just depends on who the coach is. Take a look around at how many active coaches have won a championship.

I would dearly love a championship, but boy do I think we're gonna miss what we had, championship or not. Having said all that, I think Rick's close to be done here. He hasn't looked happy since last summer and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to be fired at this point. When he leaves, though, I will be among those who say a big THANK YOU RICK ADELMAN, you put a team on the floor we we're proud to claim as our Kings.

RA may be guilty of several perceived transgressions but, in my mind, chief among them is, on many teams, actually a positive...treating athletes as adults. Some veteran teams don't go in for the rah-rah college types that the league experiments with from time to time...they are self-disciplined enough not to need the inherent carping about how to do their jobs. Other teams, like our current crop of players, need to be prodded and poked and RA just doesn't have it in him. Instead he complains to the media that the players aren't taking their own futures into their own hands and working together to achieve victory...no sense of urgency. Well, I'd like to see RA do something that shows his sense of urgeny...like bench a couple of vets and shake up the lineup. Right now the only guys that you can count on every night is Bonzi and Shareef for effort, just wish their shots would fall more often. Peja, Mike and Brad need to sit a while. This would be step one, we've all discussed further actions like trades and at the start of the season I would have said that there were 3-4 untouchables on our team but now I'd trade the lot of them for one superstar to build around. Of course RA being a lame duck doesn't help matters any, especially after the PJ fiasco last summer, so you could say we're just victims of Management.

T

thesanityannex

RoyalDiva said:
There is the breed of fan existing that ALWAYS hates the coach of their favorite team, whether it be the NBA, NFL, etc., no matter what happens with the team. I wish I was creative enough to think of a identifying name for this breed of fan.
yeah, i'm a charger lover/schottenhiemer hater type. i guess i blame the coach for the loss, and the team for the win. doesn't make sense really.

RoyalDiva said:
Believe it or not I used to always support and defend Adelman :eek:

My Dad(who I normally go to the games with and split the tickets with) can't stand Adelman and has never liked him. My disdain for his coaching started after the game 7 loss to Minnesota in the playoffs 2 seasons ago. For a team to come out and play that poorly and then have the coach come out with his usual, "we talked about it" and "I don't know why we came out flat" post games quotes made me mad. Ever since then it's been the same old story.....no accountability for not playing defense and using the same rotations game in and game out even though a little creativity or giving someone else a shot may work. He pretty much sealed his fate with me last year when he let Jerome James pretty much walk all over the middle of our team and he didn't at least try and put in a player that may help. Go ahead and say the usual things to defend him but it's not going to change my mind.

Watching today's game, I think Adelman WANTS to get fired. He subs Peja when he is on fire and got some rest from a timeout, leaves Garcia out when he is throwing bricks, doesn't change a thing even though LeBron plays the same move over and over again, keeps Skinner out when we're being outrebounded, doesn't even give a look at Corliss... the list goes on. His seemingly unexplicable coaching so far, and on top of that, he hasn't lobbyed for an extension at all, even before the losing streak. There is no other explanation.

Don't know why Rick didn't play Skinner or Corliss tonight. Definitely could of used them. It's not like they effect the whole line-up on the floor when one or both come in. Christ.

I should of expected it'd only be for a last resort.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
kiparking said:
Watching today's game, I think Adelman WANTS to get fired. He subs Peja when he is on fire and got some rest from a timeout, leaves Garcia out when he is throwing bricks, doesn't change a thing even though LeBron plays the same move over and over again, keeps Skinner out when we're being outrebounded, doesn't even give a look at Corliss... the list goes on. His seemingly unexplicable coaching so far, and on top of that, he hasn't lobbyed for an extension at all, even before the losing streak. There is no other explanation.
I don't know whether Adelman really wants to be fired, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his heart was not in it. He was quite embarassed by the Maloofs this past summer.

I am not saying he would deliberately tank things, but, as I said, his heart doesn't seem to be in the job. Maybe he is subconsciously sabataging himself. Who knows?

6th said:
I don't know whether Adelman really wants to be fired, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his heart was not in it. He was quite embarassed by the Maloofs this past summer.

I am not saying he would deliberately tank things, but, as I said, his heart doesn't seem to be in the job. Maybe he is subconsciously sabataging himself. Who knows?

Perhaps. In some ways I really can't blame Adelman for losing his heart after what happened. Maybe he is just letting things coast along.

The sad thing for the fans is that the management probably won't fire Adelman this season no matter how much he screws up. Their mind is caught up in the new arena plan, and they wouldn't want to spend money on two coaches. I am afraid that, from what I see from this organization, they would rather let the fans suffer a horrendous season than spend money in an unguarateed solution.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
kiparking said:
... The sad thing for the fans is that the management probably won't fire Adelman this season no matter how much he screws up...
1 - I don't think that Adelman "screwing up" is an accurate assessment.

2 - I wouldn't place a bet on Adelman lasting the season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hope they fire him tomorrow, if for no other reason that it's going to break my heart to see people start to turn away from him. The players take quick shots, miss and it's Adelman's fault? The Kings HAD this game and a couple of stupid decisions on the court turned the tide back in favor of Cleveland.

Adelman says it best, "We have to trust each other." The Kings aren't doing that. They're doing stupid stuff because they're afraid the other guy might make a mistake.

If people are now even speculating that Rick Adelman might be "subconsciously sabotaging himself" then it's apparent that they're pointing a finger of blame at him and then justifying it.

He's explaining why he didn't go to Corliss or Skinner in the post-game interview, but I guess that won't be enough for people either.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kiparking said:
Perhaps. In some ways I really can't blame Adelman for losing his heart after what happened. Maybe he is just letting things coast along.

The sad thing for the fans is that the management probably won't fire Adelman this season no matter how much he screws up. Their mind is caught up in the new arena plan, and they wouldn't want to spend money on two coaches. I am afraid that, from what I see from this organization, they would rather let the fans suffer a horrendous season than spend money in an unguarateed solution.
Sorry, but that is really an unfair assessment. Since you're an SAR fan, I can only assume you're speaking based on the little you know about the Kings, the Maloofs, Geoff Petrie, etc.

Rick Adelman is NOT just letting things coast. That's not the type of person he is and I personally find it offensive that it's getting to the point where people are saying that.

Yes, Adelman will most likely be gone - and at this point I'd be surprised if he lasts the season. Why? Because teams win and coaches lose and, regardless of whether or not the coach is to blame, someone has to be fired for what's happening and not happening on the court.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings113 said:
Why didn't he? I'm quite curious, on either.
Well Corliss was kind of obvious -- how can he guard LeBron?

Thomas did nothing though -- would have loved to have seen Skinner get some of his minutes this time.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really don't think Adleman's the problem.

I've definatly had my problems with Adleman, but I cannot deny the man is a good coach.

This teams starting 5 consists of five extremly good second fiddles. IF we could somehow pull in a face of a franchise, I believe we would flourish.

Bricklayer said:
Well Corliss was kind of obvious -- how can he guard LeBron?

Thomas did nothing though -- would have loved to have seen Skinner get some of his minutes this time.
Yes, but my intent of wanting to know was mainly about Skinner. Corliss plays PF sometimes anyways. Skinner not playing is absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

Skinner coming in alone doesn't screw up the whole offense. Especially if SAR or Brad are in there.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
If people are now even speculating that Rick Adelman might be "subconsciously sabotaging himself" then it's apparent that they're pointing a finger of blame at him and then justifying it.
Adelman has not appeared to be in control of his players. Am I pointing a finger of blame?.....NO WAY. But, if he can no longer get the best from his players, then it is time to make a move. It makes me ill to even think that we might lose RA. He has meant so much to this team. And, I have ALWAYS been an Adelman supporter. But, it the overpaid players are not following RA then we either fire RA or all of the players. The organization won't dump them all. That leaves Adelman. Something has to change.

Perhaps I was hasty in judging Adelman so harshly. It is just so frustrating to watch a fine team spiral into a horrendous season.

One thing can't be denied about Adelman though. Many says the Kings have lost their identity, but Adelman either doesn't think so or doesn't think it is a problem. Instead of establishing a new identity for a new team, he is letting the mirage of the old team hang above this newly assembled team. He has made no change in the system, nor has he experimented with the team in any way. To be honest, he definitely failed to make any improvement or even an adjustment this season. He might be still looking for a vision but can't find it, or he thinks he has one and forcibly trying to fit the players in it. Either way, it's obviously not working. Everyone apparently sees that, not just the fan. Well, everyone but Adelman himself. Will he turn things around? Can he turn things around? The forecast is bleak...

Originally Posted by VF21

Was hoping someone else would take notice to this...thanks VF.

6th said:
Adelman has not appeared to be in control of his players. Am I pointing a finger of blame?.....NO WAY. But, if he can no longer get the best from his players, then it is time to make a move. It makes me ill to even think that we might lose RA. He has meant so much to this team. And, I have ALWAYS been an Adelman supporter. But, it the overpaid players are not following RA then we either fire RA or all of the players. The organization won't dump them all. That leaves Adelman. Something has to change.
That's where I am. I've always been at least a marginal Adelman supporter, but I think this game may force Petrie's hand. Something is definitely wrong, and it doesn't seem like it will get any better as long as this current team, including the coaching staff, are together. We are not improving or gelling as many suggested we would by now, and I would argue that we have gotten steadily worse. Whose fault is it? Probably everyone's...but something HAS to change. And if decisions aren't made VERY SOON, they will have decided that it is too late to salvage this season.

6th said:
I agree once a coach can no longer get through to his players than that coach no matter how good of a tactician his is no longer a viable option for that team. It does not mean he is not a good coach the last seven proved he is but I think he has worn out his stay with this team. It happens all the time in pro sports. Rick is not a terrible coach he one of the best but it comes a time in which the team needs to go in another direction.