The Official Lottery Thread - Kings get #5 and #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
When coach said he expects three years before making the playoffs he is saying exactly what he should. It takes the pressure off the youth. Setbacks become less detrimental to morale. Higher morale equates to a situation more conducive to learning from mistakes rather than lamenting them.

Now if you believe he himself and the team wont bust their tails to try and beat that timeframe, I don't know what to tell you. Well I do, but I wont.
You can talk about morale, but if fans see your team being noncompetitive year in and out, the business is going to suffer. Getting rid of Cousins was a drastic jolt to try to gain some inertia in a different direction. This draft imay be more important than last years draft since its wide open, Last in hindsight I didn't judge well, so I've learned not to get too worked up. I actually like the idea of trade-down of #10 for more players. Statistically there are probably at least a few stars in the 10-30 range in any draft. 10 for 16, 22, 29 or something like that.... I like the idea of more horses in the race.

Now that I heard the clip from Joerger it seems a little more subdued. Not necessarily saying that it WILL take three years, just that the team hopes to be in three years (CelticsFan comments seem to be negative towards our prospects and/or team a lot of the time)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, Vlade, you've got explaining to do. Why'd you go and sign with the Lakers? Splain that one, Vlade!
While we're having Vlade explain things, let's have him explain why he would tip the ball out to an open Lakers shooter as time expired instead of just trying to bring the ball in like a normal person.

Explain that, Vlade!

Now that I heard the clip from Joerger it seems a little more subdued. Not necessarily saying that it WILL take three years, just that the team hopes to be in three years (CelticsFan comments seem to be negative towards our prospects and/or team a lot of the time)
Thanks for the shot Kingsfan23. I didn't hear the interview but I'm glad you did. If you read what I wrote I was responding to a poster that thought maybe we could slip into the playoffs this season. If he did say three years I think that's probably spot on and fans should try to keep realistic expectations.

When it comes to prospects I think we have some nice players but no star. Nothing wrong with having a foundation of some possible core pieces, I just don't think any of them are special. My guess is most "experts" would agree. I guess only time will tell, hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks for the shot Kingsfan23. I didn't hear the interview but I'm glad you did. If you read what I wrote I was responding to a poster that thought maybe we could slip into the playoffs this season. If he did say three years I think that's probably spot on and fans should try to keep realistic expectations.

When it comes to prospects I think we have some nice players but no star. Nothing wrong with having a foundation of some possible core pieces, I just don't think any of them are special. My guess is most "experts" would agree. I guess only time will tell, hopefully I'm wrong.
If I'm the poster you are referring to, I actually said "best case scenario is..." as opposed to the best case scenario being a return to the lottery (again). Although I see the advantage of having a better pick in 2018 than a worser pick. I also said I didn't think that sneaking into the playoffs was likely in 2018. But then you'd have to actually read the post to get that. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to clarify. :rolleyes:

If I'm the poster you are referring to, I actually said "best case scenario is..." as opposed to the best case scenario being a return to the lottery (again). Although I see the advantage of having a better pick in 2018 than a worser pick. I also said I didn't think that sneaking into the playoffs was likely in 2018. But then you'd have to actually read the post to get that. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to clarify. :rolleyes:
Yes I was referring to your post

"The way you just worded it, I agree. I don't think it's likely that we end up in the playoffs next year, and to barely sneak into the playoffs (like Portland) only to become fodder for a #1 or 2 team, well, that's not the best path forward either. But to have everything begin to jell down the home stretch and to sneak in to the playoffs and win a game (or maybe two), that to me is a best case scenario for this team. Unrealistic? Maybe. But it's not that far off in fantasyland that we should be embarrassed to think it possible.

Sorry I just have lower expectation then you do for this young team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So when do the Kings get the 2nd rounder from Philly (from the pick swap trade)?
I don't believe that we received a future second round pick in that trade. We received the draft rights to Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic who had been taken in the draft a few weeks earlier, though it is becoming less and less likely that either player ever comes to the NBA.

While we're having Vlade explain things, let's have him explain why he would tip the ball out to an open Lakers shooter as time expired instead of just trying to bring the ball in like a normal person.

Explain that, Vlade!
Then go sign with the Lakers again:mad:.
Explain THAT Vlade!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When it comes to the swap and Sixers trade, what is done is done. Just like the cousins trade. No use dwelling on it. What is important is that the kings have the 5th pick, which 3 spots better than they should have had, and the 10th pick in a very good draft. It doesnt matter if jaeger says "3 years" if the talent is good enough they will win when they are ready. The important thing is that the kings focus on developing their talent and, more importantly, the team. The Kings have picked their course and now they need to stick to it.
Well said. :)

I didn't catch the audio on NBA radio today but I think from the tease before the break they said they interviewed Joeger before the draft last night and he said he doesn't expect the Kings to make the playoffs for three years.

Anyone catch the interview? I may be wrong
Coach Joeger says 3 years to take the pressure off the young fellas, but I don't think the Kings Front Office has a goal of 3 years internally to make a playoff push.

Coach Joeger teams always bust their tails off and they tend to overachieve. You saw our team fight every game and they never quit.

If the Kings hit on the #5 and #10 this year and get impact players to go along with their current young core of Buddy, Skal, Papa, Malachi, WCS, and hopefully Bogdan, I am hoping that the Kings make a solid run at the playoffs in 2018-2019 season.

At the very least, I think the Kings transform themselves into an "up and coming" team with the playoffs as the teams goal come 2018-2019 season. Similar to Denver, who made a solid run at the playoffs this year, I think the Kings could be in a similar position with a solid coach and talent wise by 2018-2019 season.

Last edited:
We are so young and there are so many variables I'm not sure how he even comes to the 3 year number. A lot of things have to go right for this team to be successful. At this point it will still require some luck, a lot of growing pains and a lot more player development and even player movement before we get there. I believe in the people involved so I'm optimistic, but there is a mountain of work to do before the playoffs can be a reality.

We all thought Isaiah Thomas was destined to be top sixth man of the year candidate. Sort of like Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams. Yet there he is in Boston playing like the second coming of AI. :eek:

My point is lets give the Kings young players some time before we decide what they can and can't do.:)

We all thought Isaiah Thomas was destined to be top sixth man of the year candidate. Sort of like Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams. Yet there he is in Boston playing like the second coming of AI. :eek:

My point is lets give the Kings young players some time before we decide what they can and can't do.:)
Unfortunately NBA basketball is a business, you have to try to project what you think you have on your team or the league will pass you by. Of course you can't be right all the time, the trick is to be right most of the time

Yes I was referring to your post

"The way you just worded it, I agree. I don't think it's likely that we end up in the playoffs next year, and to barely sneak into the playoffs (like Portland) only to become fodder for a #1 or 2 team, well, that's not the best path forward either. But to have everything begin to jell down the home stretch and to sneak in to the playoffs and win a game (or maybe two), that to me is a best case scenario for this team. Unrealistic? Maybe. But it's not that far off in fantasyland that we should be embarrassed to think it possible.

Sorry I just have lower expectation then you do for this young team.
You're confusing hopes and expectations. Can't they be different? One can hope they'll make it to the game on time, but with traffic, one might expect to be a few mnutes late.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I'd rather trade them all for Alex Oriahki and trade exceptions.

It would be nice unless another team throws a monkey wrench in it...
It would be nice but if someone picks him before 5 that means we're probably getting one of the top SF prospects with the second tier PGs likely available at 10, plus more reason to go after Milos.

I'm fine with either scenario but I would love to have someone that actually wants to be here again.

(CelticsFan comments seem to be negative towards our prospects and/or team a lot of the time)
The hell you say! Why on earth would a fan of another team come to this site, all while claiming to be non-biased, and spew mostly negativity toward the Kings and belittle them in comparison to the team they openly profess to love more? That never happens. You must be misunderstanding him. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.