The Kings and Freeagency:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I agree that all signs point to AK47. But I don't think this means an amnesty of anybody, honestly. There's no reason to throw that money away unless you've got cap issues, which we wouldn't have. We should have about $12M in space, and AK47 probably doesn't command that much. So why amnesty? Enjoy the bench riches, or look for a trade, and if you've got to amnesty, you aren't going to need to do it until next year. We're not going to be making any other big free agent splashes this year - everybody good is basically spoken for already, or in some cases now out of our price range (e.g. Nene). We can wait.

After looking at their salaries it would most likely be Cisco, as he's owed about half as much as Salmons. If Salmons would accept a bench role he'd actually make a great 2/3 backup.

But see...John Salmons isn't a bench player, as we and other teams found out. You don't want that on your team...especially if youre trying to win and put butts in the seats. Also...Cisco was at practice today, John was no where within who knows how many miles...which leads me to believe he's getting amnesty or traded.

Last edited:
Having AK47 would be nice but I think the main reason I want it to be true so bad is more symbolic. If it's true, it shows that the Kings are finally serious about building a respectable basketball team again.

Having AK47 would be nice but I think the main reason I want it to be true so bad is more symbolic. If it's true, it shows that the Kings are finally serious about building a respectable basketball team again.
This!

It would be a fantastic move to sign AK47 and he is the type of glue guy we desperately need! Hayes brings a bit of that as well!

Now just imagine how good we would have been if we re-signed both Dally and Thornton AND signed AK47...downright scary defensively! :eek:

If only! :(

This!

It would be a fantastic move to sign AK47 and he is the type of glue guy we desperately need! Hayes brings a bit of that as well!

Now just imagine how good we would have been if we re-signed both Dally and Thornton AND signed AK47...downright scary defensively! :eek:

If only! :(
Maybe Dally will strike out in FA and we can bring him back for the MLE. We can dream...

Too many moving parts to work, but:

1. Dallas now has a ~$12 million TPE and it was mentioned in an article about using it on Dalembert. That would require cooperation from the Kings. So the Kings cooperate but at a price of a first round pick. This transaction gives the Kings another first round pick and a large TPE on their own to use.

2. After the Dallas transaction is complete, the Kings would still have all of their remaining salary cap space left and be able to sign another large salary FA. IF the hopes of Kings fans are actually true and the rumored FA is AK, then sign him.

3. Try to get in on the CP3 trade by offering to take Okafor in exchange for Salmons, Whiteside and/or Thompson along with Dallas' 1st round pick. Salmons going to Lakers (satisfying the complaint that they aren't taking enough salary back) with the rest going to the Hornets getting them more youth and at least another pick for their troubles. The TPE from the Dallas trade should take care of the differences in salary for the Kings.

I didn't check it on a trade machine but at first glance, I think it would work from a salary cap perspective. Not likely or even probable, but just a thought.

Too many moving parts to work, but:

1. Dallas now has a ~$12 million TPE and it was mentioned in an article about using it on Dalembert. That would require cooperation from the Kings. So the Kings cooperate but at a price of a first round pick. This transaction gives the Kings another first round pick and a large TPE on their own to use.

2. After the Dallas transaction is complete, the Kings would still have all of their remaining salary cap space left and be able to sign another large salary FA. IF the hopes of Kings fans are actually true and the rumored FA is AK, then sign him.

3. Try to get in on the CP3 trade by offering to take Okafor in exchange for Salmons, Whiteside and/or Thompson along with Dallas' 1st round pick. Salmons going to Lakers (satisfying the complaint that they aren't taking enough salary back) with the rest going to the Hornets getting them more youth and at least another pick for their troubles. The TPE from the Dallas trade should take care of the differences in salary for the Kings.

I didn't check it on a trade machine but at first glance, I think it would work from a salary cap perspective. Not likely or even probable, but just a thought.

None of that is possible as the Kings cannot S&T Dalembert. Renouncing his rights means we can't do that any longer.

None of that is possible as the Kings cannot S&T Dalembert. Renouncing his rights means we can't do that any longer.
Why not? We still have cap space, and they don't. Usually, the idea with sign and trades is so the player can get full value from the current team having his Bird Rigths, and transferring those along to the new team. But in this case, the idea would simply be to acquire a guy they would otherwise only be able to offer the MEL/mini-MLE. So there's still an incentive--if Dallas wants him and he wants to go there, but would rather make $10 million instead of $5 per year, it still makes sense to do a sign and trade with us (or any team under the cap).

Or can you only sign and trade with Bird rights?

Why not? We still have cap space, and they don't. Usually, the idea with sign and trades is so the player can get full value from the current team having his Bird Rigths, and transferring those along to the new team. But in this case, the idea would simply be to acquire a guy they would otherwise only be able to offer the MEL/mini-MLE. So there's still an incentive--if Dallas wants him and he wants to go there, but would rather make $10 million instead of $5 per year, it still makes sense to do a sign and trade with us (or any team under the cap).

Or can you only sign and trade with Bird rights?

You can only sign and trade players who you have bird rights to as far as I know. We don't have his bird rights anymore as we renounced his rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we were to resign Dalembert at this point we would not be able to trade him for 6 months.

You can only sign and trade players who you have bird rights to as far as I know. We don't have his bird rights anymore as we renounced his rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we were to resign Dalembert at this point we would not be able to trade him for 6 months.
Wrong, they can still sign and trade him for the cap space they currently have. They just cannot go over it and it can only be a 3 or 4 year deal.

Unless they changed the rule, Section 101 is correct. In the "Oh nooooooo, they renounced Dalembert" thread, Section 101 and I believe someone else referenced Larry Coon's FAQ numbers #34 and #79. It is post 43 and 50 of that thread. There may be a link there.

Not sure anything will come from dalembert to dallas. Looks like he has an offer from houston and the want to get the gasol trade done first, which is in to the league for approval.

Not sure anything will come from dalembert to dallas. Looks like he has an offer from houston and the want to get the gasol trade done first, which is in to the league for approval.
Before the trade was shut down everyone seemed to think Nene would sign with Houston so they could run out Gasol and Nene together.

And honestly, that is the only way this deal makes sense on Houstons side. They are giving up way to much for Gasol alone.

The Mavericks are trying to acquire a tag-team partner for big man Brendan Haywood. The pie-The Mavericks are trying to acquire a tag-team partner for big man Brendan Haywood. The pie-in-the-sky scenario is landing All-NBA center Dwight Howard, but the Mavs’ immediate goal is much more realistic. Sources told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that the Mavs are attempting to land Samuel Dalembert with the trade exception they received in the Tyson Chandler sign-and-trade with the Knicks. It would be a sign-and-trade deal with the Sacramento Kings. While it’s not immediately clear what the Kings would want in return, they are known to covet outgoing Mavs guard J.J. Barea.

Hmmm what do we want from the Mav's

Oh,and AK suited up today for CSKA.

From Billups:

“I’ m tired of being the good guy,” Billups told Yahoo! Sports by phone on Saturday afternoon. “I’m tired of being viewed as the guy. After a while, you just kind of get taken advantage of in these situations. I’ve been known as a leader, and I am a leader, but a leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive, especially when you carry a strong voice and people rally around you. This is about me now. This is about me, and teams should know that right now.”
“I just don’t deserve the treatment that I’ve continually gotten,” Billups said. “Historically, these things never happen to the supposed great players and good guys. They continually happen to me, and it gets old. Listen, I feel I’ve been blessed in the game, and I’ve been given back, but these things start to wear on you. But there’s not another guy in history who keeps dealing with this, getting thrown into these things to make the money right. I really believe it’s because people take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with this. I won’t be OK with this. I’ve saved my money. I may just retire if I don’t get my freedom here.

“I want my freedom. My goal is to control my own destiny. And as you’ve seen in my career, I’ve never been in a position to do that. I know some teams out there are saying, ‘Oh, Chauncey will be great in mentoring’ and I’m tired of that. I’ve got a few good years left to play, and I’m not trying to come in and sit on the bench, or be a mentor. I’m not going to be that guy. I want to go somewhere and win. I want to choose.”

Yeah, let's stay away.

Last edited: