The Kings after 16 games.....

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Since my guppy didn't like bosenberry or even blackberry on my arm, I thought I'd take a look at where the Kingies are and what have they really done. Being a stats geek at times, I summarized their offense and defense as calculated by the great numbers guru in the sky, ESPN and as I suspected.....

Offense
Scoring 101 3rd
Assists 24.4 2nd
Turnovers 12.2 1st
Free throws 81.9% 1st
but
FG % 44.6 10th
3pt shots 32% 21st

defense
rebounding 42.0 17th
steals 7.1 20th !!

Then I thought about our 11-5 record. When I looked we have beaten only 4 teams with winning records. And 4 of our 5 losses are to teams with winning records. So 4th in the west is pretty good right now. The rest of the month we only play 2 good teams so time to pad the stats before we run into the buzz saw of the good teams.

Thought for the day: Songalia and Barnes have to start scoring 6-8 pts a game and banging for 4-5 rebounds to support BJax and make the bench a better contributor. :cool:

We're definitely improving... getting wins against some not-so-good teams will hopefully continue to help us with the cohesiveness and rebounding problems. I still think teams like Minny, Spurs and even Dallas are better than us at this point, but we were competitive with Minnesota the other night up until the very end.

Just keep improving nightly on those boards and we'll be all the way back.

Don't forget we beat Phoenix in AZ and Lakers in LA. I noticed Dallas made a trade yesterday to get Darral Armstrong, then sent Dan Dicku and a 2nd round pick to get him.

It's Gotta Start Sometime

Defense, rebounding .... and The Bench.

All showed signs in taking the 1st step towards improvement last night. I don't care if it was a depleted Pacer team .... the point is they displayed a conscious effort in those areas (of course, the 30 point lead helped in easing Adelman's mind about giving the bench MORE play time).

Let's see that same effort in the next game !!!

Peja, yes, this is true... however, I don't consider LA an "elite" team at this point -- although they are certainly someone you have to be ready to play, and even though Phoenix is playing like crazy now something just doesn't seem right about how well they're doing. Maybe it's because I lived in Phoenix for a while and just can't fathom a Suns team leading the division. :) In any case, I expect them to flatten out a bit as the season continues.

In my mind, I still want to see us get some wins over the Spurs, Minnesota and Dallas. These are the teams who I think will still be there when it comes down to the conference Semis.

We're actually 4th seed in the league (when, in the last 10 or so years, has the East standings mattered ... I know). These wins are important because they will matter when we go up against tougher opponents with some cush in the standings. We are SUPPOSED to beat the better teams, I like to see them get these wins and not take 'little' games lightly.

While we have picked up our offensive scoring stat just in the last 5 or so games, It's hard to believe we are only 17th in rebounding, wow.

LA did have the same record as us and we went onto their home court and beat them. Phoenix had a better record and until last night we had given them their only home court loss. Kings are in a cushy part of their schedule which they needed after that ridiculous first 3 games. Beat the teams you need to beat now and enjoy a little home cooking because it will get tought. Isn't it funny how the schedule works out???

I also like the fact of how they are flying under the radar. Everyone talked about Phoenix and Seattle's start while the Kings have quietly gone 10-1 in their last 11 games including winning 4 straight on the road.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Two things:

First - to Variant: I absolutely LOVE your avatar. It is arguably the best one I have ever seen. :D

Second - to piksi: Who are you and what have you done with OUR piksi??? "Give credit to CW"... First Ailene Voisin and now piksi? OMG - Who is next??

;)

Variant said:
Peja, yes, this is true... however, I don't consider LA an "elite" team at this point -- although they are certainly someone you have to be ready to play, and even though Phoenix is playing like crazy now something just doesn't seem right about how well they're doing. Maybe it's because I lived in Phoenix for a while and just can't fathom a Suns team leading the division. :) In any case, I expect them to flatten out a bit as the season continues.
Phoenix '04-'05 = Dallas '02-'03.

That's my prediction. :)

(Minus luckily beating us in the playoffs)

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Two things:

First - to Variant: I absolutely LOVE your avatar. It is arguably the best one I have ever seen. :D

Second - to piksi: Who are you and what have you done with OUR piksi??? "Give credit to CW"... First Ailene Voisin and now piksi? OMG - Who is next??

;)
Well You give credit when credit is due - which in this case is absolutely due. Even in the last back to back game where he had 8 TOs - 7 of them where attempted passes. I have absolutely no problems with it. Basically CW does not have to prove that he can average 25 - 10 - 5. Everybody knows that. He needs to prove that he can lead the team - where it belongs if healthy. If that means 15 - 10 - 7 for him- so be it. He is just way too talented for 3/17 nights. I still did not forgott his off court stuff but beating the dead horse gets boring with the time.
That game in Phoenix was as big of a regular season game as the Kings had it since 1999. Webber was very solid. We are 10 - 1 since. Basically only 5 teams in the league can beat us at the moment, unfortunately all of them in the west.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings can beat any team in a 7 game series. Even if it is a very scary west this year. The Spurs are the most dangerous IMO. Twolves look good but nothing really new from last year, it will be tough but the Kings can beat them. Of course your going to have to play near perfect games to beat these two teams, which the Kings can do for the most part. I look forward to the games with the Spurs and Twolves b/c then we will see how we stack up. 3 games with each and we should know.