The Golden State Sparks?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Joe Lacob, majority owner of the Golden State Warriors, has been wanting to get his hands in the WNBA game for some time now, having had ownership experience back in the old ABL. With news of the Los Angeles Sparks being for sale, the Word on the Street™ is that Lacob intends to make a bid for them, and could bring them to the Bay area. No word on whether that move could happen in time for the 2014 season, or whether the Sparks would play one last season in LA before moving.

This leads me to wonder two things:

1. What impact would a WNBA team in the Bay area have on the possibility of the Monarchs being reinstated?
  2. If the Sparks relocating would mean no Monarchs, are there any former Monarchs fans left that would adopt the team from "down south"?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My guess would be having a WNBA team in the Bay Area might be a good thing for the Monarchs, creating a WNBA rivalry close enough for easy travel between venues.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
While having both teams would create a great rivalry, I am concerned that there would not be enough support for 2 teams. Many people came from the bay area and points in between to Monarchs games. If they start going to "Sparks" games, we probably could not get them back.

In the meantime, many Monarchs fans are already talking about road trips to the bay area to see the Sparks play. We are starved for the women's game here so they will not care if it is the former team from Southern CA.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
While having both teams would create a great rivalry, I am concerned that there would not be enough support for 2 teams.
This is my exact concern, as well: as much as I, personally, enjoy the WNBA, I recognize that it is a "niche" sport. I'm not confident that there's anywhere in North America that has a strong enough base to support two WNBA franchises that close together.

All things being equal, I'd rather have the Monarchs back than the Sparks in the Bay area, and I don't have any particular allegiance to Northern California to compel me to root for the Sparks, if they move. If them being relocated means no Monarchs, I'll probably end up retiring my Monarchs paraphernalia with honors, and switching my allegiance over to the Dream. I'm already halfway a Dream fan, any way.