The Boxing Thread.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There's no reason anyone should have thought this would be a decent fight.
I'll admit I was extremely puzzled why anyone cared when this fight was announced. It seemed like such a non-event except for Pacquiao's star power.
Who would you guys take in that fight? I'd pick Flloyd to win it, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
I'd pick Floyd except for the ring rust. Now its a toss up unless Floyd fights a few tune ups. I think he'd actually at least start the fight looking to counter and get Pacquiao to punch himself out and when/if he got stung he'd bring his own offense, but only then.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It is very uncommon that a heavy weight is left handed. The pre-fight discussion was talking about how the right handed opponent had a disadvantage because he had to adjust. That's a common observance. The right handed boxer however said, "Yes, I have to adjust to him but he has to adjust to me, too."

What?????

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As they are boxing, the announcers said that the right hander might not think he can use a jab but that's not true because a left hander's head is closer. Think about it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Considering today's boxing with huge layoffs between fights, there is pretty much no way a boxer isn't going to be prepared for whichever handed opponent he is facing. The one time it probably does matter is when there is a last minute scratch and a replacement fighter gets involved. Usually the replacement is of a far lesser caliber but often the replacement has a stronger showing than would be expected.

I heard P4V tix will be highest for fight ever $99.99. Outrageous for couple now past their prime fighters late 30s. No way I'll pay that high, even spitting cost with couple buddies. Might have 5 years ago when it would have been without doubt match of the new millinium. Watch there be $200M+ purse rematch regardless who wins. I like Manny but he'll probably be slight underdog on May 2nd in Vegas where Mayweather lives and trains at his multi-million dollar desert palace.

Myself and a few close friends still follow boxing closely and IMO Pac-Man is a very real threat for Floyd because his style is so unorthodox he throws punches at weird angles and when he gets in his groove he becomes DANGEROUS. Don't let that KO from Marquez fool anyone only Juan Marquez could have landed that punch on him because of the fact that he has the book on Manny after 4 bouts.

My prediction: Pac-Man stops Mayweather in the 7th Round.

thats what they said about maidana, his unorthodox style would trouble mayweather. It did somewhat but it still resulted in a mayweather win.

I hope pacquio beats mayweather but i dont see it happening

Floyd will duck, hold, run and pot shot his way to a comfortable points decision.

This fight is likely going to be a bit of a stinker and leave a lot of people disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong on both points above but that's how I see it going. Still happy the fight is made even though it's 5 years too late.

Manny the pressing attack southpaw vs. Floyd the on the defensive wait for opportunities counterpuncher. Who wins? I really have no idea but am bit biased. I think Manny can work inside with jabs even with his shorter reach and maybe steal some early rounds that way. He might score enough early on points that Floyd has to go on attack more and more to try stay even. That will make for good fight if Floyd actually has to fight toe to toe instead of dancing around looking for openings. I would be surprised if either of these geezers (relatively speaking) stops the other one. I think Pac-Man wins split decision, then cry from Mayweather camp for rematch. It's not in their fight contract and doubt it will happen. Still not paying $99.95. Unless some buddy invites paying the freight most likely just round by round recaps on ESPN.com.

Last edited:
Manny the pressing attack southpaw vs. Floyd the on the defensive wait for opportunities counterpuncher. Who wins? I really have no idea but am bit biased. I think Manny can work inside with jabs even with his shorter reach and maybe steal some early rounds that way. He might score enough early on points that Floyd has to go on attack more and more to try stay even. That will make for good fight if Floyd actually has to fight toe to toe instead of dancing around looking for openings. I would be surprised if either of these geezers (relatively speaking) stops the other one. I think Pac-Man wins split decision, then cry from Mayweather camp for rematch. It's not in their fight contract and doubt it will happen. Still not paying $99.95. Unless some buddy invites paying the freight most likely just round by round recaps on ESPN.com.
Suuuure. ;)

K

KingMilz

Floyd will duck, hold, run and pot shot his way to a comfortable points decision.

This fight is likely going to be a bit of a stinker and leave a lot of people disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong on both points above but that's how I see it going. Still happy the fight is made even though it's 5 years too late.
Ding Ding Ding Ding

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Certainly glad I didn't pay money to watch the fight. I followed the "action" on Twitter and that was bad enough.

Pretty spot-on prediction.

I don't follow boxing, and have watched only a handful of MMA fights (which I find very enjoyable outside of guys gushing blood from their faces), so I didn't really know what I was getting into. Hearing it broken down on sports radio helped me appreciate what Mayweather did.

But honestly: it was enjoyable if only for the circus, which includes tons of people who know nothing about boxing having viewing parties for an utterly unspectacular fight. But hey, at least Spurs-Clips provided enough entertainment to make up for it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

The thing is I think anyone who has watched Floyd fight over the last decade knew this would happen and yet a bunch of boxing casuals ponied up twice the usual PPV fees to watch this and then all pouted about it.

Although it does go to show how much being undefeated adds to Floyd's marketing capability because nobody was buying B-Hop on PPV and it was the same thing a decade ago when he had 20 straight defenses.

K

KingMilz

I was going to watch the replay of this fight but after I read so many negative things said about it...I think I will pass on it
It's only negative cause the majority of people hate Mayweather, if you enjoy boxing and the beauty of Mayweathers movements and counters it was a decent fight. The fight due to the sytles and anticipation was never going to live up to the hype, if you a legit boxing diehard you will enjoy the fight if a casual not so much.

BTW did anyone watch the under-card and see the Ukrainian fighter who had a amateur record of 396-1, with his only loss avenged twice. This has to be arguably one of the greatest records in any sport I have ever seen.

It's only negative cause the majority of people hate Mayweather, if you enjoy boxing and the beauty of Mayweathers movements and counters it was a decent fight. The fight due to the sytles and anticipation was never going to live up to the hype, if you a legit boxing diehard you will enjoy the fight if a casual not so much.

BTW did anyone watch the under-card and see the Ukrainian fighter who had a amateur record of 396-1, with his only loss avenged twice. This has to be arguably one of the greatest records in any sport I have ever seen.
It's kind of weird that you would call people who didn't enjoy the fight casual fans, and in the next sentence go on to call Lomachenko "the Ukranian fighter."

K

KingMilz

It's kind of weird that you would call people who didn't enjoy the fight casual fans, and in the next sentence go on to call Lomachenko "the Ukranian fighter."
I cbf typing out his name, he was the only Ukrainian fighter on the card and it was only the 2nd or 3rd time I ever seen him, my one issue with boxing compared to the UFC is it's really hard to keep track of all the top fighters, where as in the UFC it's really easy cause 99% of the elite talent (you also on prelims see the up and coming talent) is there and you always get to see them fight under one banner. In boxing right now there's tons of good boxers I probably have no clue about since they are just so spread out over promotions and there's literally millions of belts.

I try to keep up as much as I can but there's simply to many quality boxers even hardcore fans don't really know about.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As far as I know Mayweather was never going to give a rematch unless he lost, his camp said the minute after the fight that he would fight one more to equal Marciano and hang it up.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the money was there if he'd do it again. I don't think the money will be there since a lot of the casuals aren't going to want to see a rematch.