The Boxing Thread.

Anyone see the Hatton/Malignaggi fight last night? Glad Ricky won, and it wasn't really close. Malignaggi struggled to stay up a couple times, although I do feel sorry for him that his corner threw in the towel. I think that, while he had very little chance of winning, he had a good shot of going the full twelve rounds.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Anyone see the Hatton/Malignaggi fight last night? Glad Ricky won, and it wasn't really close. Malignaggi struggled to stay up a couple times, although I do feel sorry for him that his corner threw in the towel. I think that, while he had very little chance of winning, he had a good shot of going the full twelve rounds.
Oh he would have gone the full 12 easy.
As he said he was hurt way worse in the Cotto fight, and he's better than an early stop.

He did have zero chance of winning, but the corner shouldn't have thrown in the towel.

And De La Hoya is going to get killed by Manny.

DLH is going to beat Pac.. He's just too big and should hurt Pac pretty easy. I have it TKO8.

Tonight I got Williams beating Phillips as well either by a late stoppage or UD.

Oh he would have gone the full 12 easy.
As he said he was hurt way worse in the Cotto fight, and he's better than an early stop.

He did have zero chance of winning, but the corner shouldn't have thrown in the towel.

And De La Hoya is going to get killed by Manny.

You really think Manny will beat DLH? I'm not saying he won't (and you seemt o be much more of an expert when it comes to boxing than me), but Manny is moving up two weights and DLH moving down one. Will Manny be able to bring his power up with him? I really can't wait for this fight. Like the Hatton one, I'll be getting up at 4 A.M. to watch it.
Also, I'll have a little money on Manny to win by KO/TKO (his odds are pretty attractive) so I'll be hoping you're right.

But I've gotta say, I'm kinda with Gary on this one. I think DLH is just too big for Manny.

My prediction is DLH will sit back and pitty pat Manny with jab after jab until Manny gets careless and sets himself up for a Knockdown. I have DLH in 9.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Did anyone see Sugar Shane Mosley destroy Margarito?!
I so didn't expect that.
I though Margarito was untouchable after beating Cotto!

So, what does/should this set up?

Sugar Shane V. Cotto?
Cotto V. Margarito 2?

That Mosley vs Margarito fight was a shocker to me..Never thought sugar shane still has it....

By the way SLAB what's your predicton on the Pacman vs Hitman fight?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It's hard to go against Pac-Man...The guys a beast,
but so is Hatton.
This one Im not to sure about yet though.
I need more think time to make my final call.

I definitely want Pacquiao to win so he can hopefully draw Mayweather out of retirement for one of the biggest superfights ever!

I agree, a tough fight to call since both have different styles to counter each other... Manny's speed and power against Ricky's body punching and power..

Hopefully Manny wins and Floyd comes out of retirement and fights pac for the pound 4 pound unification bout, come on make it happen!!!

Mosley vs Margarito was probably the most entertaining fight I've ever seen (I am not an avid boxing fan, but I try to catch all the big fights). Mosley just destroyed him. Anyone hear about the tape thing with Margaritos gloves? Being investigated AFAIK.

Can't wait for Manny vs Ricky. I love both fighters. Grew up watching Ricky develop. Also love Manny - great boxer and a great guy. I don't know who I'll want to win, but I think Manny will take it. He's too quick. But, it's a tough one to call.

I thought that the hatton/manny fight was cancelled because they couldn't agree on a financial level??

Anyways mosley straight destroyed antonio. I mean really hard!

Haha what I think happens is manny fights mosley and the winner calls out mayweather out of retirement!

I thought that the hatton/manny fight was cancelled because they couldn't agree on a financial level??

Anyways mosley straight destroyed antonio. I mean really hard!

Haha what I think happens is manny fights mosley and the winner calls out mayweather out of retirement!
At first it was cancelled but after a couple of days manny agreed on the 52-48 split....

I think mosley is too big and strong for manny,no way roach puts manny in harms way... but pls make floyd vs manny happen!!!

Why all the Hatton hate? He may not be the prettiest boxer, but he is good. He has fierce power and is very agressive. I think he has a chin that can be exposed by Manny, and I think ultimately Manny will beat him, but it won't be near as one-sided as some of you are predicting. Ricky trains like a beast.

Hatton would have made pulp of DLH too based on his performance against Manny.

Just incase you didn't know, Hatton is extremely likeable outside the ring. He is probably the most grounded multi-millionaire athlete I've seen. Funnily, he gets nice and fat between fights from drinking guinness and playing darts at the pub!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't like Hatton because he is too protected. Doesn't want to fight outside the UK, the refs there favor his style, he goes up to his natural weight and gets beat by Collazo and jobbed by the judges (incidentally poor Collazo just got jobbed again a month ago) so he stays in a boring and safe weight class. He's basically the opposite of Manny who will take on anyone, anywhere and mix it up.

I'm sure he's a real down to earth guy in the UK, which is why he's so loved by his fans there, but he just doesn't appeal to me at all as a boxer. I'd never pay to watch him fight.

I don't like Hatton because he is too protected. Doesn't want to fight outside the UK, the refs there favor his style, he goes up to his natural weight and gets beat by Collazo and jobbed by the judges (incidentally poor Collazo just got jobbed again a month ago) so he stays in a boring and safe weight class. He's basically the opposite of Manny who will take on anyone, anywhere and mix it up.

I'm sure he's a real down to earth guy in the UK, which is why he's so loved by his fans there, but he just doesn't appeal to me at all as a boxer. I'd never pay to watch him fight.

Too protected? :confused: Actually, he does want to fight outside the UK. I'd absolutely love to know why you think he doesn't want to fight outside it. After losing to Mayweather, he made Malignaggi look like an amateur, stateside. Obviously he's going to prefer to fight in the UK where he has thousands of fans.
Secondly, Ricky will fight anyone. You having a little case of selective memory? Moving up a weight to fight the P4P best in the world in Mayweather? Wanting a re-match even though a win is unlikely? And are you forgetting the recent fact that Manny wouldn't even fight Hatton until he got the bigger kitty, and Ricky succumbed just to fight the best in the world (Manny)? Despite what you say, everything Ricky says and does points to the fact that he wants to be the best. He isn't, but you can't say he's scared. That's just silly.

Ricky wanted to fight DLH as much as Manny (and would have slugged him, too). I don't know why you're promoting Mannys fearlessness and not Rickys.

I don't know how you've managed to come to your conclusions, but whatever. And don't even think of saying I'm biased. I'm from Ireland, NOT the UK! And given our history with England, I have pretty much no reason to side with the Brits (I have nothing against Brits or anything BTW, I'm just sayin').

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Malignaggi is a B-level fighter with no career defining victories either. The Tzsyu fight remains Ricky's signature win, and its clear that Tzsyu was done before even getting in the ring.

I've never said he's scared, I said he doesn't fight the top talent around him. There's been world class fighters just above or just below his weight class his entire career and the only one he ever fought was Mayweather, who beat him. I'm not going to show him any respect against a guy like Manny.

Malignaggi is a B-level fighter with no career defining victories either. The Tzsyu fight remains Ricky's signature win, and its clear that Tzsyu was done before even getting in the ring.

I've never said he's scared, I said he doesn't fight the top talent around him. There's been world class fighters just above or just below his weight class his entire career and the only one he ever fought was Mayweather, who beat him. I'm not going to show him any respect against a guy like Manny.
Fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind. I have no idea if you do or not, but it seems like you have something personally against him.

I like both Manny and Ricky, so I look forward to it. I think Manny will beat him, but I think Ricky will give a good account of himself.

I like hatton. But I don't think he's thy great of a boxer. He gives up an opening between his glove position and great boxers like mayweather will expose that weakness and take advantage severly of the oppurtunity. I see manny doing the same thing to ricky hatton.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind. I have no idea if you do or not, but it seems like you have something personally against him.
I think he fights ugly and still needs a signature win. Does that make it personal? If he beat Manny, fought Cotto, Margarito or any of the other guys that are at the top of their game he'd earn a little respect in my book, I probably wouldn't ever root for him, but I'd at least take my hat off to him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ive always been on the Pac-Man bandwagon.
So that being said...

There's no way I can go against my guy, so Im saying Pac-Man wins via decision in a great match,

...And I for one can not WAIT!
:D

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What a night of fights on HBO last night!

John/Juarez was probably the most fun I had watching a strategic fight. I thought Juarez would upset him in the 12th with a KO, but it was not to be.
Judges scored a 114-114 draw, and here's to a rematch!

JM Marquez and Diaz was pure chaos!