The Boxing Thread.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well, I don't know if anyone else here is a boxing fan, but as for me I just love it, and after seeing tonights big Cotto/Judah fight I decided it was time to test the waters and see if a boxing thread would live!

Anyways...

The first match was terrible, and Yuri Foreman should never be allowed to box in another high profile match again...All he did was lean and lay on the guy through the entire ten rounds...The worst part? Because he was leaning the entire time, Anthony Thomas couldnt get any shots in, and lost a split decision! The worster part? Foreman gets a title shot from someone now...It will do me proud to see a real fighter destroy the guy...Ugh.

The second match was completely opposite, as Manny Pacquio's little brother was beat up by Soto...I can't remember his last name...All I know is that Little Pacqio's little brother swung wildly and it made for some sweet action!

And the third match wasn't even close! Ceasar Chavez Jr. completely destroyed a little white guy that ended his father's career . Sweet revenge, yes? And Chavez looks like someone to look out for! At 23 he is something like 35-0 with 24 KO's! Impressive!

And the main event, the one I waited for all night! Zab Judah and Miguel Cotto! I must say I wanted Zab to win badly, and will blame his loss squarely on being punched in the below the belt parts twice within 3 rounds...And not just glancing blows, these were straight to the groin. Judah-Cotto 2 better come or I will be mad!

And it looks like HBO has some other impressive shows coming in the near future!

Yay boxing!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I love the boxing but don't do PPV. I will catch this fight on the replays. The Showtime fights were pretty good last night, lots of action even if the outcome wasn't in doubt. As a whole I prefer their coverage and fighters over the past few years to HBO's. ESPN's friday night was pretty decent as well (by their standards). It was a good weekend for boxing.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Most definitly about the Hatton fight...It's like Castillo just said "I give up." Sure it was a good punch, but a knockout punch? I dunno. Me and my dad were phyched for this, but ugh... On a happy note, there was a feel-good story the other night on ESPN Friday Fights. Some 40 year old fighter with 5 kids and coming off an 8 year layoff with a near career-ending knee injury came back and fought "Baby face" Garcia, at 40-2, and beat him in a decision! Sure, his record raised to 20-0-1, but coming off 8 years in a fight where he was the 100% underdog...It made me smile...Good little story there.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I saw that fight. Good story. But seems like just another overhyped young fighter getting in against a game opponent and falling apart.

I was really psyched for the Hatton fight until it started and I remembered the reason I hate Hatton so much. If he actually was the fists go flying brawler he is billed as I'd probably love him. But no, it was the same punch and grab fight we always get. I think when Castillo realized that every body punch he connected with was being ruled low he may as well pack it in.

And the HBO announcing was HORRIBLE. There were at least 2 warnings for low blows before Cortez made the deduction yet the announcers all agreed there were none. Then they pull a 180 on this is going to be a great night for Castillo to he's a shot fighter.

And why did HBO have to get the most lovable fighter from either Contender season to be Gatti's punching bag for next month's series of bouts?

barerra vs the pac man oct 6th is exciting. the hopkins fight coming up towards the end of the month is interesting and with talks of trinidad wanting to come back and fight some big names, looks like boxing is still thriving. which i couldn't be happier about since i have always been a big boxing fan. i just hope someone can knock mayweather out. boy do i hate that guy. :D

i really like felix sturm. he was robbed against de la hoya a few years back. anyways, an article:

STUTTGART, Germany -- Felix Sturm retained his WBA middleweight title with a unanimous decision over Noe Tulio Gonzalez Alcoba on Saturday.

The German dominated the 12-round fight and raised his record to 28-2 with 12 knockouts. He was fighting only two months after regaining the title by beating Javier Castillejo, also on points.

The judges scored the fight 120-108, 118-110 and 116-112.

"It was amazing what he took and still kept coming at me. He deserves great respect," Sturm said.

Alcoba, a Uruguayan based in Argentina, lost his first fight after 14 wins, seven by KO.

Alcoba kept coming forward, trying to shake the champion with body blows. But Sturm blocked the punches with his arms and hands, rarely giving Alcoba an opening and countering with left and right hooks and crosses.

Alcoba caught Sturm with a right late in the seventh round, but the champion never wavered.

The fight never changed -- Alcoba came forward relentlessly only to have his head snapped back by Sturm's quick punches.

By the 10th round, Alcoba began to tire, dropping his hands and giving Sturm a bigger target.

Alcoba's right eye began to swell in the 11th.
In the final round, Alcoba erupted with a last flurry. Sturm countered at will to hit the challenger, but Alcoba stayed upright and finished on his feet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2922051

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mayweather would outbox Hatton easy.

However, one good punch to the midsection (Or two clear 'inadvertent' crotch shots) may change the fight just a little bit.

Either way, that would be something I would definitly want to see.

And is anyone else following the Holyfield comeback? After two years off he's 4-0 and just won the other week...Very impressive, and Im pulling for him.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I loved Evander back in the day but watching him fight now is sad. He's clearly suffering from the long term effects of all those punches when he gives an interview. He needs to hang it up before he ends up like Ali, the entire heavyweight division is a joke right now and he has nothing to gain by beating tomato cans before someone with a title gives him a shot only to pummel him into oblivion.

Mayweather= the New Roy 'Shine the shoes and dance' Jones Jr.

Its fighters like that that make people NOT want to watch boxing and watch MMA(even though tonight's card was kind of lackluster, with the exception of the Bonnar fight and Florian fight.) I dont want to watch someone dance all night...thats not fun to watch. No action at all. Boxing has suffered so much the last 10 years its not even funny. Roy Jones Jr. and Flashy Floyd can dance all they want, but I wont watch, thats for sure. I like fighters like Ricky Hatton that put it on the line, take punches and know how to box and fight like a warrrior to win, THAT'S entertainment. There's no Ray Leonard's or Marvin Haglar's(and Tony Lopez's, for that matter) anymore, and that's what boxing lacks so much. Floyd can say all he wants about MMA being a fad, but he's never been involved or trained in it before...and there are a few MMA fighters in the world that are decent boxers and could probably go a few rounds with him and look pretty good, too(probably wouldnt win, but would look good and try to slug/box it out, at least)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I like fighters like Ricky Hatton that put it on the line, take punches and know how to box and fight like a warrrior to win, THAT'S entertainment.
You and I must be watching different fights because while that's certainly how he bills himself he is hook and hold all night long. He certainly isn't out there to exchange punches with anyone.

I agree that Mayweather fights have become snooze fests, but Mayweather is no Roy Jones Jr. He has stepped up and fought everyone that the public demands. Hatton is more like RJJ imho, at least when it comes to ducking opponents and staying in a lame duck weight class sandwiched between two much stronger ones. I'd love to like the guy, but I can't.

I think there are a lot of fighters that will stand in and mix it up but they aren't in the marquee weight classes and because they don't have sparkling unbeaten records they don't attract the attention of the protected fighters who headline PPVs. Incidentally those guys still probably make more per fight than most MMA guys. If the balance of power shifted in MMA where the majority of the money went to the fighters you'd see a lot more guys building up 25-0 type records fighting lame duck fighters to get the shot at headlining their own PPV for millions.

the williams-margarito fight last night was pretty entertaining. i agree with the decision, williams was the aggressor and did what he had to to win the fight. and arturo gatti is finished, he finally announced his retirement following his loss to gomez.

i am SUPER pumped about the vargas-mayorga fight in sep. go vargas!

any boxing fans should catch or tivo espn 2s wednesday night fights tomorrow to catch "mean" joe green 15-0 (of whom i'm a big fan) versus darryl salmon 16-1-4 in what i'm hoping is an exciting fight. just a heads up. :cool:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mayweather would outbox Hatton easy.

However, one good punch to the midsection (Or two clear 'inadvertent' crotch shots) may change the fight just a little bit.

Either way, that would be something I would definitly want to see.
Well now, what do you know.

I think I just may have called this one! He outboxed him, as well as manned up and fought Ricky's fight.

That was a damn impressive showing from Mayweather tonight, and should cement him as the clear top welterweight of his era.

Mayweather= the New Roy 'Shine the shoes and dance' Jones Jr.
Definitely not tonight!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'll be waiting for the "free" replay on HBO next week but I couldn't wait the week to find out the result. About what I expected, other than I expected it to go to the cards.

Where do they go now? One or two last big pay days for Floyd before he retires? Does Hatton go back to 140 where he is safe or fight at 147 where he is far more vulnerable? Does he go back to forcing everyone to come to him in Manchester where the refs will let him hug and hold all night?

Where do they go now? One or two last big pay days for Floyd before he retires? Does Hatton go back to 140 where he is safe or fight at 147 where he is far more vulnerable? Does he go back to forcing everyone to come to him in Manchester where the refs will let him hug and hold all night?
This perception that Hatton hides behind a lower weight needs to stop. It's misleading and untrue. I've followed his career for a long time and have seen most of his fights, he is a warrior and always wants to be the best. Hatton said after the fight he doesn't know if he'll go down or stay up, he said Mayweather was more natural at that weight (which he is) and that his true weight is 140. He didn't have to come up and fight the best fighter in the world. He could have easily stayed down and kept winning (btw did somebody say he didn't fight good fighters? Castillo and Kostya Tszyu weren't great fighters?) but he wanted to be the best.

He's not technically as good as Mayweather, there's a reason Mayweather is called the best. But Hatton gave everything, he has tonnes of heart. It wasn't his best performance. That redicilous point deduction played against him, he had to force it too much after that.

The hug and hold thing is complete crap and you'd know that if you saw him fight regularly. Floyd caused alot of that last night by ducking into his arms. That's not on Hatton. If it was up to Hatton he would stand toe to toe and fight, but Floyd didn't do that (not a bad thing). Ricky is a fearsome body puncher, he didn't seem to land any good shots on Floyd.

Also, the ref comment was highly uneducated. If you want me to elaborate I can. There's no taking away credit from Ricky Hatton just because you have dislikes for him. He's a great fighter and he got outfought by an even better one. End of story. If you want to talk about refs talk about the one last night, he was completely against Hatton from the start.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The hug and hold thing is complete crap and you'd know that if you saw him fight regularly.
I have seen practically every Hatton fight since 2002 or 2003. Don't tell me he doesn't do it, that's how he beat Tszyu and those tactics would have never flown in Vegas or Atlantic City. Nevertheless it was an impressive victory, something I have yet to see him do again. Castillo was shot and moving up in weight when he fought Hatton so I'd hardly call that an impressive win.

I have seen practically every Hatton fight since 2002 or 2003. Don't tell me he doesn't do it, that's how he beat Tszyu and those tactics would have never flown in Vegas or Atlantic City. Nevertheless it was an impressive victory, something I have yet to see him do again. Castillo was shot and moving up in weight when he fought Hatton so I'd hardly call that an impressive win.

The same way Hatton moved up to fight Mayweather? Doesn't really take away the impressiveness IMO.

Doesn't really matter though, Mayweather is the best in the world. I think that was his last fight though, he wants a two year break and then he's gonna see if he still wants to fight. He said he's been bored with boxing for a long time now. I can see where he's coming from. He's achieved basically everything, why not go out on top? He will go down as one of the best ever. I really like him as a fighter.

i still hate mayweather. i think i always will. and even though he lost, i think i have become more of a hatton fight after this one. seems like a very likeable guy with lots of heart.

time for a bump. antonio margarito and miguel cotto coming into what should be an epic boxing match next month gots me ampd and warrants a bump. any other boxing fans have a favorite on this one? i got cotto, but wouldn't be surprised either way.

I never seen this thread!

Anyways Margarito proved once again he is a SAVAGE. He took the best Cotto could give and kept on pressing until he wore him down. Margarito is without question the boxing worlds most feared fighter.

wonder if he will call out mayweather. Doubt mayweather will accept it considering that he just retired and he did turn down 8 mil to fight antonio before

You knew Cotto was going to lose once you saw Margarito taking his shots and walking through them.. It reminded me a lot of the Corrales/JLC fight (the first one) in that if Corrales didn't get that lucky shot in he was going to be KOd which he almost was in the 10th. Cotto gave everythin he had, and just could not take Margarito's activity.. Cotto had a good gameplan with the stick and move, and was actually winning rounds, but if a second fight happens I see Cotto losing by KO earlier than this first fight. The fight took a toll on Cotto, and I wouldn't be surprised if he started dropping fights now to lesser opponents.

Well the next fight i can see happening is DLH vs Margarito. That would be Margaritos money fight and if he wins then P-Williams would be next on the hit list.

anyone watch the barrios/juarez fight on HBO last night? juarez left barrios with a good part of his lip hanging off.

the upcoming casamayor/marquez, mosely/mayorga and the pavlik/hopkins fights all look intriguing.