[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have to agree here. Toronto may have more appeal since they are winning right now, and they are absolutely a world class city but they've never had the free agency appeal that a city like Miami has. There's a multitude of reasons that many players make their offseason homes in Florida but few stay in Toronto (weather, taxes, party vibe).

That said, it's tough to draw market comparisons because under the right circumstances much of that could change and Toronto would offer some pretty big advantages. I tend to think of Denver and Portland as maybe the best comparisons. No surprise that our best GM helped lead Portland to some of their finest moments. Would that give Booth an edge?

If we are really committed to hiring before the end of September I imagine we will have to give pretty decent compensation if we take a team's #2 away before the draft - probably more than just the second rounder NYK gave for Perry, as that came after the draft and the opening of the FA signing period.
The thing about Toronto is that thanks to past administrations deciding to drop huge contracts on Rudy Gay and Derozan, the Raptors haven't really had the cash to go out and be players in the free agent market. Masai Ujiri hasn't historically been a huge build through free agency guy though so that certainly might be part of it as well. (Plus they're apparently currently at the head of the line in the *nonexistant* Giannis sweepstakes)

I do agree that Portland or Denver are probably the best comparisons in terms of NBA market to us, as well as the Spurs except they've had the benefit of Pop running that franchise for the better part of the last three decades so it's hard to really compare us to them. (Portland also has had Microsoft money behind it for the past several decades so not quite sure if we can compare our financial situation to theirs either).

What happened there
"I only had about an 8 or 10 minute little meeting with him. I found him to be a very arrogant and dismissive little chap. He doesn’t seem to understand that he owns it. He was the one that came in with Basketball 3.0, and changing the culture, “I have the smartest guys in the room, they’re four steps ahead of everybody else, I have 80 gigs of data, nobody else has that.” Well, okay, you know?"

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/1...ff-petrie-slams-vivek-ranadiv/comment-page-1/

The thing about Toronto is that thanks to past administrations deciding to drop huge contracts on Rudy Gay and Derozan, the Raptors haven't really had the cash to go out and be players in the free agent market. Masai Ujiri hasn't historically been a huge build through free agency guy though so that certainly might be part of it as well. (Plus they're apparently currently at the head of the line in the *nonexistant* Giannis sweepstakes)

I do agree that Portland or Denver are probably the best comparisons in terms of NBA market to us, as well as the Spurs except they've had the benefit of Pop running that franchise for the better part of the last three decades so it's hard to really compare us to them. (Portland also has had Microsoft money behind it for the past several decades so not quite sure if we can compare our financial situation to theirs either).
Since I've been here (just "celebrated" 15 years) it seems like when the Blazers open the purse strings it's usually a miss. Where they've really been aces is smart trades and drafting well as well as finding good role players to complement their stars. They've managed the cap poorly at times but always manage to get out of it.

They have benefited from our ineptitude as well. Dame being the most blatant example. Although I think we came out ahead in the last trade.

Well Morey gives him full credit for bringing Harden to the Rockets from the Thunder, and he certainly recognized what a talent Harden was. Easy to say that it was an easy thing to see, but at the time the Thunder didn't know what they had in Harden, and when I proposed the Kings try and trade for him, I was told he was nothing but a chucker. Hind sight is a 100% as they say.
He’s not a chucker, he’s a volume chucker ;)

That plays little defense. And travels most the time. And will be soon be out of the playoffs in uninspiring fashion yet again.

Sorry, just couldn’t resist. :p

The rumor, or the word is that the G-League will become more of a minor league system that resembles baseball's minor league system. The idea being that a team will be able to develop and protect all the players on it's G- league team. The hold up was, and to the best of my knowledge no longer is, that not every NBA team owned a G-League team, and therefore that move couldn't be made until that was remedied. I believe that every team how owns a G-League team. Don't bet money on it......

With that in mind, 2nd rd picks would suddenly become more valuable. Matter of fact there was another rumor that the league might go back to adding a 3rd rd to the draft. The problem was or is, is that no one knew for sure when that change would happen. At the end of the current CBA, or through negotiations between the League and the players association. So some teams started stock pilling 2nd rd picks in case. The Kings aren't the only team to do so. I'm sure the virus threw a monkey wrench into those plans to some degree as well.
A true ‘minor league’ system is something I’ve been hoping and clamoring for over 30 years now. I’ve never understood why the other leagues, specifically the NBA, never had that type of setup. It’s one of the great things about MLB and it’s player development IMO.

If they are finally headed in that direction, it’s a very smart move.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Who Perry showed up on Carmichael’s odds please don’t, and for Hinkie being up there. “So you’re telling me there’s a chance”
I mean, Gupta pretty much becoming the odds on favorite at this point is probably the closest we'll get to Hinkie, which honestly might be preferable because he won't come with the massive amount of baggage (not entirely Hinkie's fault) that the originator of the Process would.

I mean, Gupta pretty much becoming the odds on favorite at this point is probably the closest we'll get to Hinkie, which honestly might be preferable because he won't come with the massive amount of baggage (not entirely Hinkie's fault) that the originator of the Process would.
This is 100% my thought process

Ya that’s why I’m excited at the thought of getting Gupta and maybe he can real in Hinkie to be GM next year

Amicks interview was very telling today. Someone was going to pull out (Simon) and someone else also TBA. That means only three names will be left on the list. Webster didnt even make it onto the list in part because apparently Vivek wont define the role and logistics of the job and he wont pay fair market value on the contract, partially bc of the Covid environment.
On the list, Gupta is certainly the most impressive and seems to fit what we are looking for. Given the issues surrounding the team per Amick that makes him a home run.

If he pulls out Im less optimistic. Basketball owners.owners of companies in other sectors get so cheap. They try to save a few $$and end up spending far more bc they keep doing the same thing over and over again and it is far costlier than just making the right choice the first time. Just pay the right man the fair market value and let him go to work. This micromanagement crap and being cheap just makes Vivek look out of touch. He claims ue listens to the smartest people and this and that. Fine quit talking and do it. Hire the best person and get out of the way. I hope he has learned but some recent reporting suggests otherwise.
This team should keep Fox and probably Bagley (he has more value if he pans out than he does current trade value). Every other player should be tradeable. I have a soft spot for Giles too. Holmes is still young. Jeffries and James and maybe Guy are worth keeping. Everyone else the new GM should assess whats best for the team. Typically draft capital is very important so if for example Atlanta woll trade #6 for Buddy then do it. If someone will trade a bad contract-worse than Barnes say 4 yrs and a pick for Barnes then do it.

Gupta has a solid resume. Simon helped pick gems. So did Webster but Webster wouldnt even talk to the team. Hopefully they pick Gupta or do a late add of Webster. Im not really that excited about any other candidates.

Amicks interview was very telling today. Someone was going to pull out (Simon) and someone else also TBA. That means only three names will be left on the list. Webster didnt even make it onto the list in part because apparently Vivek wont define the role and logistics of the job and he wont pay fair market value on the contract, partially bc of the Covid environment.
On the list, Gupta is certainly the most impressive and seems to fit what we are looking for. Given the issues surrounding the team per Amick that makes him a home run.

If he pulls out Im less optimistic. Basketball owners.owners of companies in other sectors get so cheap. They try to save a few $$and end up spending far more bc they keep doing the same thing over and over again and it is far costlier than just making the right choice the first time. Just pay the right man the fair market value and let him go to work. This micromanagement crap and being cheap just makes Vivek look out of touch. He claims ue listens to the smartest people and this and that. Fine quit talking and do it. Hire the best person and get out of the way. I hope he has learned but some recent reporting suggests otherwise.
This team should keep Fox and probably Bagley (he has more value if he pans out than he does current trade value). Every other player should be tradeable. I have a soft spot for Giles too. Holmes is still young. Jeffries and James and maybe Guy are worth keeping. Everyone else the new GM should assess whats best for the team. Typically draft capital is very important so if for example Atlanta woll trade #6 for Buddy then do it. If someone will trade a bad contract-worse than Barnes say 4 yrs and a pick for Barnes then do it.

Gupta has a solid resume. Simon helped pick gems. So did Webster but Webster wouldnt even talk to the team. Hopefully they pick Gupta or do a late add of Webster. Im not really that excited about any other candidates.
Unbelievable, man **** vevik how do you expect to get someone good when they won’t know there role and logistics. He just doesn’t get it man if we leave with Perry or Dumars we’re not making the playoffs this decade.

And yes for Atlanta offered 6 for Buddy/12 you take it and run sont look back don’t ask questions

Makes me wonder how the hell this stuff even works in Silicon Valley. I know it's an unrelated field to basketball but making the same mistakes over and over and over again and not even defining the roles of your main employees would seem like killers in any industry.

And an often forgotten fact is the city of Sacramento fronted the ownership group a cool 300 mil in the arena deal so he can eff off if he's gonna pull Maloof cheapness, damn the pandemic. Put up or shut up.

Unbelievable, man **** vevik how do you expect to get someone good when they won’t know there role and logistics. He just doesn’t get it man if we leave with Perry or Dumars we’re not making the playoffs this decade.

And yes for Atlanta offered 6 for Buddy/12 you take it and run sont look back don’t ask questions
Just say no to Perry. That's all I'm asking.

Even Wilcox seems like an acceptable name.

Perry's about ten times as good as Vlade and is therefore abysmal.

Denver Nuggets are the model Kings should follow. They drafted well, made some mistakes, but kept the direction. They were patient, and it paid off.

What interview are you referring to? It sounds worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.