[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
#3 is an actual draft pick! Nunn and Robinson were undrafted and are in the Heat's rotation in the Playoffs! Tyler Herro was a 13th pick. Lets hope the KIngs 12th pick is as good:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0200909-onzxurxq4bd3hirjvqcev6vvoe-story.html
I'm still just hoping we see a pick and players used right. That's how bad things have been with Sacramento the last few years. We see Fox playing next to PG's off the ball. Their starting SG playing backup PG. Their backup PG starting at SG. The team go big, big, and bigger when the advanced lineups indicate that the only shot they had was playing Barnes at PF. When you're F'ing things up that bad it's not just the pick although Vlade was hit or miss for sure. Vivek can get whatever GM he wants, but unless that GM knows what he's got and who is out there to make it work at the coaching level this is all going to be continuously doomed. Bring in people like Pop, Spoelstra, Doc Rivers. Individuals who have shown flexibility to fit the roster they have. If not, then bring in someone like D'Antoni who at least run a system that appears to work with core the Kings are developing and has a track record of success with the right personnel for his system.

And why do you think he or his agent agreed to the interview and then withdrew? Just changed his mind?
Ahh... I see you were just confused.

"The Kings have requested permission to interview the candidates..."

So it's like if Disney visits the company you work for and asks cordially if they can interview jcassio. Your company said yes.

You didn't want to leave and now back out.

End of analogy.

(Anything more than that is fabrication on someone's part as no one knows more than the above sentence outside of the ones directly involved)

Ahh... I see you were just confused.

"The Kings have requested permission to interview the candidates..."

So it's like if Disney visits the company you work for and asks cordially if they can interview jcassio. Your company said yes.

You didn't want to leave and now back out.

End of analogy.

(Anything more than that is fabrication on someone's part as no one knows more than the above sentence outside of the ones directly involved)
Right, we only know that permission was requested, not that there was any agreement.

But it absolutely happens where guys like Langdon end up staying where they are with a healthy raise in situations like these.

What exactly does Gupta bring to the table in terms of talent evaluation? I get that he’s creative and into analytics, but they doesn’t cut it for me. What has he done in MIN? Analytics have value, but if that’s your big selling point then that concerns me. Simon seems to check all the boxes for me. Good talent evaluator, but will also make trades for high end talent.
Want nothing to do with anyone from ATL FO, don’t know a ton about Booths sting suits and I put McNair kind of in the same boat as Gupta.

And why do you think he or his agent agreed to the interview and then withdrew? Just changed his mind?
As others stated, he didn’t change his mind. But that’s not even the part I’m talking about. You said he was using that as leverage for 2-3 years from now when Griff leaves. The audacity of all those assumptions is hilarious.

I'm still just hoping we see a pick and players used right. That's how bad things have been with Sacramento the last few years. We see Fox playing next to PG's off the ball. Their starting SG playing backup PG. Their backup PG starting at SG. The team go big, big, and bigger when the advanced lineups indicate that the only shot they had was playing Barnes at PF. When you're F'ing things up that bad it's not just the pick although Vlade was hit or miss for sure. Vivek can get whatever GM he wants, but unless that GM knows what he's got and who is out there to make it work at the coaching level this is all going to be continuously doomed. Bring in people like Pop, Spoelstra, Doc Rivers. Individuals who have shown flexibility to fit the roster they have. If not, then bring in someone like D'Antoni who at least run a system that appears to work with core the Kings are developing and has a track record of success with the right personnel for his system.
How about Bam Adebayo with pick 14 in the 2017 draft! All Star and All Defensive Team this year:

https://www.nba.com/heat/news/bam-adebayo-named-to-all-nba-defensive-team-2020

dude12

Hall of Famer
What exactly does Gupta bring to the table in terms of talent evaluation? I get that he’s creative and into analytics, but they doesn’t cut it for me. What has he done in MIN? Analytics have value, but if that’s your big selling point then that concerns me. Simon seems to check all the boxes for me. Good talent evaluator, but will also make trades for high end talent.
Want nothing to do with anyone from ATL FO, don’t know a ton about Booths sting suits and I put McNair kind of in the same boat as Gupta.
I have the same question on Gupta. Who ever we hire, we need a guy who is able to identify talent because that is where this team has to get its talent. Simons the guy but I’m not sure he’s going to leave. I read Booth previous to moving up into his current position was responsible for identifying several of the young Denver players they have developed. Seems like Simon and Booth have followed the same path.

I have the same question on Gupta. Who ever we hire, we need a guy who is able to identify talent because that is where this team has to get its talent. Simons the guy but I’m not sure he’s going to leave. I read Booth previous to moving up into his current position was responsible for identifying several of the young Denver players they have developed. Seems like Simon and Booth have followed the same path.
good to know about Booth. I like what DEN has done with accruing good young talent that fit well together. Need to read up more on him.

I don’t follow close enough to know these guys, but surprised to not see anyone from Toronto on the short list. Their market is similar and need to build primarily through the draft and finding gems among undrafted talent. Seems like a great blueprint to follow and others have named a couple young guys in their front office.

Simon isn’t coming here man let it go

Gupta is amazing at trades and is an analytics guy yes he didn’t rise the ranks by finding prospects like the other two but he wasn’t in that position

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don’t follow close enough to know these guys, but surprised to not see anyone from Toronto on the short list. Their market is similar and need to build primarily through the draft and finding gems among undrafted talent. Seems like a great blueprint to follow and others have named a couple young guys in their front office.
This isn't even relevant to the larger discussion at hand but in what bizarre dimension is Toronto, the biggest city in Canada, home to the HQs of multi-national corporations, and an NBA team, MLS team, MLB team, and NHL team remotely similar to Sacramento, the fourth biggest metropolitan area in the state of California and until recently known as the biggest producer of rice in America?

Simon isn’t coming here man let it go

Gupta is amazing at trades and is an analytics guy yes he didn’t rise the ranks by finding prospects like the other two but he wasn’t in that position
what other trades was he behind other than the Kings deal? Is he amazing at trades because he fleeced Vlade and created the Trade Machine?
so during all those stops as consultant to the GM, special adviser to the GM Assistant GM and VP of basketball operations he was never in the position to evaluate talent? don‘t you think talent evaluation is important for a GM?

This isn't even relevant to the larger discussion at hand but in what bizarre dimension is Toronto, the biggest city in Canada, home to the HQs of multi-national corporations, and an NBA team, MLS team, MLB team, and NHL team remotely similar to Sacramento, the fourth biggest metropolitan area in the state of California and until recently known as the biggest producer of rice in America?
Miami is actually a more comparable media market to Sac. #16 vs. #20. Kings have the only show in town thing while Miami has no state taxes, sun, n high profile residents, who give it a high profile appeal. So team economics wise, the Kings have the edge, but on the court wise (ie, the ability to recruit stars), Miami is in a completely diff stratosphere.

what other trades was he behind other than the Kings deal? Is he amazing at trades because he fleeced Vlade and created the Trade Machine?
so during all those stops as consultant to the GM, special adviser to the GM Assistant GM and VP of basketball operations he was never in the position to evaluate talent? don‘t you think talent evaluation is important for a GM?
Wiggins + next year’s Minny #1 for DLO. GSW going to have to pay a ransom to offload Wiggins contract. Though they would gladly do so if they can slot Giannis into his salary slot.

Wiggins + next year’s Minny #1 for DLO. GSW going to have to pay a ransom to offload Wiggins contract. Though they would gladly do so if they can slot Giannis into his salary slot.
Ah ok. Everything I’d heard is that was Rosas brainchild. Either way, having to attached a top 3 protected pick that becomes unprotected in 22’ to unload a contract and take on an at best equal player with a slightly less crappy contract (debatable) is not a great deal imo

Meet Sachin Gupta, The Driving Force Behind Many of Sam Hinkie’s Trades
The Sixers rebuild was the result of a collective team effort. Included in that group is Sachin Gupta, the architect behind the trade with the Sacramento Kings.
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/01/31/sachin-gupta-trades-sam-hinkie/
read that earlier. Only saw reference to the Kings deal though. There was speculation he had his hands in other trades, but nothing concrete. The kings one was the only one officially tied to him
Edit: wait just saw the HOU part. Not even sure what they traded with the Knicks. Need to revisit that. Ok here it is. Not bad
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/knicks/news/mcgrady_trade.html

Last edited:
Ah ok. Everything I’d heard is that was Rosas brainchild. Either way, having to attached a top 3 protected pick that becomes unprotected in 22’ to unload a contract and take on an at best equal player with a slightly less crappy contract (debatable) is not a great deal imo
uhhhhhh

DLo is atrocious on D, but he's legitimately great on offense. Can space the floor, good playmaker, can effectively create his own shot. He'll likely always be a fringy all-star guy because of his offensive tool-kit.

Wiggins just sucks at everything. Massive USG rate, inconsistent/bad 3pt shooter, takes a ton of bad shots, blackhole playmaker, doesn't rebound,atrocious defense (more important than PG defense from DLO). Don't even think this is much of a hot take, but Wiggins to me is by far the worst (contract adjusted) player in the league and it isn't all that close.

Add in the fact DLO is your franchise player's best friend and it's just a win, win, win all-around.

apparently he was behin a lot of trades with Houston and Philadelphia and at the those times I can’t remember a bad trade either team mad. Also the Dlo trade people have mentioned, the fact the he got out of Wiggins absurd deal which basically guaranteed him KAT until his context is up

Miami is actually a more comparable media market to Sac. #16 vs. #20. Kings have the only show in town thing while Miami has no state taxes, sun, n high profile residents, who give it a high profile appeal. So team economics wise, the Kings have the edge, but on the court wise (ie, the ability to recruit stars), Miami is in a completely diff stratosphere.
Yeah, as actual cities, Toronto and Sacramento are quite different as you suggest. In terms of how they limit a GM’s ability to attract top talent through free agency? They are more similar than, say, Sacramento and Miami, even though the latter two are more similar in terms of media market size.

apparently he was behin a lot of trades with Houston and Philadelphia and at the those times I can’t remember a bad trade either team mad. Also the Dlo trade people have mentioned, the fact the he got out of Wiggins absurd deal which basically guaranteed him KAT until his context is up
see my responses above.
csn you also explain why Wiggins contract was so much worse than Dlo’s? So much so that they had to attach a top 3 protected 1st that becomes unprotected in 22’? They are both awful contracts . And by all accounts this trade was all Rosas.

uhhhhhh

DLo is atrocious on D, but he's legitimately great on offense. Can space the floor, good playmaker, can effectively create his own shot. He'll likely always be a fringy all-star guy because of his offensive tool-kit.

Wiggins just sucks at everything. Massive USG rate, inconsistent/bad 3pt shooter, takes a ton of bad shots, blackhole playmaker, doesn't rebound,atrocious defense (more important than PG defense from DLO). Don't even think this is much of a hot take, but Wiggins to me is by far the worst (contract adjusted) player in the league and it isn't all that close.

Add in the fact DLO is your franchise player's best friend and it's just a win, win, win all-around.
Dlo isn’t great at anything. He’s a very good 3 point shooter, good scorer/poor FG% who’s had 1 pretty good year, so no he’s not always been a fringe all star player. Please tell me his other years where he was a fringe all star player. He put up good scoring #s this last season and still shot an abysmal FG%. Outside of that he’s been an ok. Your think the Ws would have wanted to hold into a player that you are describing. You can’t sit there and talk up Dlo and then in the same breath bash Wiggins. They are both comparable players with awful contracts and the Ws just got a huge trade chip with that top 3 protected 1st that becomes unprotected in 22.

Last edited:
Yeah, as actual cities, Toronto and Sacramento are quite different as you suggest. In terms of how they limit a GM’s ability to attract top talent through free agency? They are more similar than, say, Sacramento and Miami, even though the latter two are more similar in terms of media market size.
I have to agree here. Toronto may have more appeal since they are winning right now, and they are absolutely a world class city but they've never had the free agency appeal that a city like Miami has. There's a multitude of reasons that many players make their offseason homes in Florida but few stay in Toronto (weather, taxes, party vibe).

That said, it's tough to draw market comparisons because under the right circumstances much of that could change and Toronto would offer some pretty big advantages. I tend to think of Denver and Portland as maybe the best comparisons. No surprise that our best GM helped lead Portland to some of their finest moments. Would that give Booth an edge?

If we are really committed to hiring before the end of September I imagine we will have to give pretty decent compensation if we take a team's #2 away before the draft - probably more than just the second rounder NYK gave for Perry, as that came after the draft and the opening of the FA signing period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.