The 12th slot

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Who is still out there to fill the Kings roster? one slot is open and they havfe to fill it. Management indicates it will be a 4 or 5. But everyone is looking for a big man. We had two guys playing 4's at the summer league but they were built more like 3's, around 210-220 lb at 6-11.

I don't think Marcus Fizer fits the Kings needs and if the Clips got rid of him... :D

So who???

12th man

According to the Denver Post, the Nuggets are talking to several swingman types, so Rodney White may still be out there when it's all said and done. If not, some of the others mentioned in this story may be there for the Kings. Obviously, teams haven't broken their piggy banks to sign these guys yet.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2374597,00.html

As has been stated many times in this forum -- oh, wait, it's all gone -- the Kings aren't likely to spend more than the minimum. And you get what you pay for.

I know Fizer has something of a so-so reputation, but for a team with a power forward coming off knee surgery, he might not be a bad idea. The trouble with him is that he probably can't play much if any 3 behind Peja and he's undersized for a PF.

CruzDude

Thedofd, so much for Rodney, he been gone, maybe even to the clink.

So are there no ideas out there among KingsFans as to who we can get to fill the 12th slot on the roster? Consensus seems to be a big man to play the 4 or 5 but who? Free agent? Trade? A Euro or Latin? My brain is deflated on the possibilities. :confused: :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Petrie is in any hurry to fill that last slot. I think he's waiting to see what happens with the remaining free agents AND I think he may actually be waiting to see what other players just might fall through the cracks. Remember, that's how we got Jimmy Jackson...

maybe we don't need Rodney White

Who does ths guy think he is, Yosemite Sam?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1875542

WASHINGTON -- Three men, including NBA free agent Rodney White, face weapons charges after a uniformed Secret Service officer allegedly saw them randomly shooting in the air early Sunday morning while driving on Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway.
Authorities identified the men as Rodney Charles White, 24, of Denver, Anthony O. Butler, Jr., 21, of Detroit and Kyle A. Doman, 25, of Bowie, Md.

A Denver Nuggets spokesman confirmed Sunday that White played for the team the past two seasons. He also spent a season with the Detroit Pistons.

Police pulled the sports utility vehicle over at 24th Street and Connecticut Avenue in the northwest section of the city. Three men were inside the SUV, along with an unspecified number of guns and a knife, Secret Service spokesman Tom Mazur said.

Each was charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm -- a felony. They also were charged with five misdemeanors: carrying a pistol without a license; possession of an unregistered firearm; possession of unregistered ammunition; possession of fireworks and possession of a prohibited weapon, which Mazur identified as a knife.

No one was injured, Mazur said.

Channing Phillips, a spokesman with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, said the men would be held in police custody until an initial court appearance Monday morning in D.C. Superior Court.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Popeye Jones!!!

A vetran, would most likley sign for the minimum, and could pass his defense and rebounding skills to youngsters Kevin Martin and Ricky Minard. Take them under his wing.

With Doug teaching them to anticipate, and Popeye teaching them to be physical and rebound, they could be nice players...Even if just a little bit of their respectives skills rub off, it would be a bonus.

CruzDude

But isn't Jabari signing with the Nets? He hasn't done anything for us in the 2 years he was with us (was it 3? shows you how invisible he was :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Never underestimate the power of Petrie. I firmly believe he has a plan - and it will be a good plan. We'll be happy and we'll wonder why we didn't think of it.

:D

Kingsgurl said:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not the Curse of Chucky again!!!!!!! We are still recovering from the last time! (nothing against Chucky personally)
Right! We LOVE Chucky!! We still make his brownies and kiss his photo before every game, we ALL LOVE CHUCKY!!! :) Nooooo, not the curse again!!!! WE LOVE YOU, CHUCKY! (actually, I did root for the guy!). And his website NEVER cursed the Kings!

The curse of Chucky apparently became too powerful for them to control. It extended past teams that had 'dissed' Chucky, or disrespected him in any way and swallowed up any team that signed him at all. (I do miss the back board slap before games) The Kings got off lucky compared to those that really incurred their wrath:p

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Honestly I would not expect a miricle or even a big suprise, just a vetran big man willing to play cheap. With luck it will be a guy like JJ was, tallented but in need of another chance to rehablitate his immage for a better deal the following year. Otherwise we are probaly looking at ancompleet unknown who will have little or no impact on the team what so ever.

Kingsgurl said:
The curse of Chucky apparently became too powerful for them to control. It extended past teams that had 'dissed' Chucky, or disrespected him in any way and swallowed up any team that signed him at all. (I do miss the back board slap before games) The Kings got off lucky compared to those that really incurred their wrath:p
Ummm, you know...now that you remind me, I do remember hoping that the Maloofs could find a little spare change to keep Chucky on the roster (not that I'm superstitious or anything) :D .

Hmmm, don't give anyone ideas or there will soon be a "Blame it on Chucky" thread going on in the lounge that will get more play than the "Blame it on Finley" thread. Please guys!!! Don't start!! We have enough problems as it is!!

Remember, we LOVE Chucky, we respect Chucky (I know I do), we wish Chucky the best in life forever!

I used to read his fan site when he was with the Kings, they were always very happy with the way he was treated here and there was NEVER a threat of a curse laid at the Kings door when he wasn't re-signed.

Best wishes, Chucky, and GO KINGS in 2004!

KK!

CruzDude

He did his job for a year and made contributions. Let Chucky go and don't blame him for anything. Injury free and we all sing a different song.

popeye jones wouldn't be so bad... can get him at the veteran's minimum.. and it's not like we need him to play lots of minutes... might be worth it for us

by the way what do u think abt Malone being the 12th man. Seems possible to me. Maybe thats why we have been waiting for so long for the 12th spot.

that would be a great addition,wouldn't it ?

HndsmCelt said:
won't happen, probably would not matter anyway
Won't happen I agree, really difficult to see that happen.
I don't think that it won't matter. I think that Malone did play an important role while defending the likes of Duncan and Garnett inspite of being limited by the injury, especially in later part of the TWolves series.
And his absence in the finals was also hurt the lakers.

why not Malone?

I wonder why the Kings aren't involved -- at least as far as has been reported -- in pursuing Malone. Some of their main competitors seem to be, so he must have something left in the tank. The Kings pursued him before he signed with the Lakers. Perhaps they're concerned about bad karma?

Meanwhile, if Malone isn't the guy, is Christian Laettner the kind of player the Kings might want to pursue for depth up front? The Warriors have waived him. His best days are long past and he was known as a real jerk, at least in his younger days, but he's a legitimate NBA player who might fit well into the offense (although his defense has always been suspect).

The Nets reportedly have been talking to Marcus Fizer, another guy who has been mentioned as a possible future King.

The problem with Malone and Laettner -- and some would also argue Fizer -- is that they can play 4 and some at 5 but not at small forward. Sorry, but David Bluthenthal doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling as Peja's backup.

I understand Christian Laettner <spelling error, I know> just got waived by Golden State, maybe he would like to ride some pine for the Kings.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Malone played some decnt ball and was indded a calmng influence with the Yahoos in LA, BUT his injuries last season were a sure sign of age and I would say there is no reason to expect him to remain healthy through out the season. The Last thing the kings wnat to do is cut Darius's minuets during the season to acomodate the big elbow only to have BOTH Malone and Webber hobbled or NA when it counts most down the line. Even if Malone is compleetly healed, he is obviously playing on borrowed time. Let him borrow the time in San Antonio or Miami, not in Sac. The Kings need to be developing tallent right now not collecting fossiles. Latnier is an intereting prospect but I stnad by my thoughts on looking at a true center or a solid swing man.

CruzDude

Laettner is a 4 who can score and rebound some. He has moved around a bit too much in the past 3-4 years so maybe is defense has disappeared. But he might be a better #12 than anyone else who would sign for the vet minimum, assuming he can and does not have some big salary baggage to bring.

just a rumor:

Heat may get Laettner

From Herald Staff and Wire Reports

The Heat hopes to sign veteran free agent forward Christian Laettner in the next few days, several sources said.

Laettner, 35, who was released by Golden State on Thursday, has expressed interest in joining Miami but has other options, according to a league source. Miami can offer the veteran's minimum ($1 million), while several other teams could offer more. The Warriors are responsible for his $6.2 million salary for next season.

Mad D said:
just a rumor:

Heat may get Laettner

From Herald Staff and Wire Reports

The Heat hopes to sign veteran free agent forward Christian Laettner in the next few days, several sources said.

Laettner, 35, who was released by Golden State on Thursday, has expressed interest in joining Miami but has other options, according to a league source. Miami can offer the veteran's minimum ($1 million), while several other teams could offer more. The Warriors are responsible for his $6.2 million salary for next season.
could you please provide any links this. thanks.

bibbyweb said:
could you please provide any links this. thanks.
i just cut and paste it from hoopshype rumor page since you have to register to the miami herald to see the article

if you really want to see the link head over to hoopshype, go to the rumor page, and click the miami herald link to register

..but i dont think you'd want to bother with the last part, cus i didnt ;)

Last edited: