TDOS Draft to End All Drafts - Round 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
FANTASY FOOTBALL!

Before fantasy football, I mostly watched 49er games...didn't care a whole lot about what was going on in the AFC. A Bills / Ravens game would have been turned off without a second thought. Fantasy football has made me a much bigger fan of the NFL and it makes it more exciting to watch other games and follow particular players. It doesn't have to involve money...in fact, I generally like free leagues better (mainly because I'm extremely cheap). My work does one in which all of the money generated goes to a massive super bowl party at the end of the season.
I've played for 8 years and am 2-1 in Super Bowls. This was on my list for sure and I totally forgot - I'm not signed up yet this year!! :eek:

For my last pick (until my three replacement picks) I choose not only my personal favorite dog breed, but also the mascot of my desired profession AND one of my favorite bands.

Dalmatians

Sadly that silly Disney movie shoved these guys into the spotlight so that every little kid with a VCR wanted one and well-meaning parents and irresponsible breeders were more than happy to oblige. Unfortunately, Dals are a slightly tricky breed to train because of their high energy and need lots of exercise otherwise they go a little haywire. So that led to tons being dropped off at pounds or outright abandoned after the kiddies lost interest and the Dal didn't just sit around and look cute.

But with the right owner, they are incredibly loyal and friendly companions and even with all their popularity, they still stand out in a crowd.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my final pick I'm going to select my favorite way to keep my brain engaged - The New York Times Crossword Puzzle. Sure, I'll take the Wednesdays and Thursdays, and I'd never turn my nose up at the Mondays and Tuesdays, but it's the Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays that I'm going to covet.

All right, three make-up picks to bring this to an end. And away we go.

Now this next pick is a dual approach toward both the general concept and my personal association with it.

Grandma's House

Now I admit, the appeal of this pick is not entirerly universal, but the positive stereotypes of the cookie-baking, spoil-you-rotten grandmother is more than enough to counter anything else.

And on a personal note, my own childhood summers and holidays typically centered around trips to my grandma's house and the adolescent wonderland that entailed of carefree days lounging around the pool or at the house, adventures into the open farmland surrounding it, day trips to amuesment parks, water parks and the like, and quiet evenings with the love of family and homecooked meals.

Speaking of which, I may not have picked a favorite food in this draft (I have far too many anyway) but now I have my grandma's home cooking to satisfy the need.

Next up and a bit of a 180 from my last pick.

Indiana Jones-style Archaeology

Now this pick needs some serious explaining. Long before I decided to try my hand at the Emergency Services, I was a history nerd entering college with visions of becoming a sub-dued version of Indiana Jones: traveling the world searching for lost historical treasures, spending nights reading ancient scripts searching for clues to said historical treasures, teaching history part-time at a university to pay the bills, bedding moderately attractive women who inexplicably disappear into obscurity after an adventure with me, beating up Nazis.

Now I still adore history or as my friends say "the knowledge of useless facts" ... but found any sense of adventure or for that matter, social skills, lacking in the true profession of Archaeology. Quick example:

Here is true Archaeology:

And here is Indiana Jones-style Archaeology:

Isn't the latter infinitly more awesome than the former? Don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate the value of true, disciplined archaeological research and have read assessments as to whether Indiana Jones popularization of the adrenaline-fueled, thrilling and immediately rewarding fictional style has actually been a detriment to the discipline.

Still, I suppose what this pick represents is a fantasy of how I kinda wish archaeology really was ... so that my historical knowledge wouldn't be considering useless trivia, but exceedingly awesome and at times, lifesaving.

Last edited:
And finally,

Satire

The concept of bringing about change by pointing out the absurdities of the system through irony and sarcasm.

Or in more elegant terms: "in satire, irony is militant" - Herman Northrop Frye

And another draft is in the books. I'll update the draft board momentarily, and everyone can start getting the rankings in. Anyone who owes make-up picks can get them in any time between now and when I start the voting.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am awful.

Poetry

A quick scan did not seem to reveal this taken, so guess I'll just take the whole thing.

Note: If I missed something and this late pick is stepping on somebody else's toes, I'll just restrict it to the golden era of maybe 1780-1950, and we can even add British if necessary as an additional qualifier (as long as Yeats gets called a Brit for those purposes)

My intention is to get polls started at some point tomorrow, whether or not I have all the rankings in, but I'm frankly skeptical that's going to happen.

Unfortunately, the fact that this wrapped up after I'm already well into a busy semester, it is likely that the voting process is going to take a while. I remember the same thing happened with my music draft last summer, though that one was even later. As was the case last time, I haven't lost interest in doing this, but just be prepared for it to take a little while.

Any updates with this draft? How many more rankings do you need GGG?
Considering that I won't be getting rankings from the three drafters who dropped off the map, I'm only missing three or four.

Bigger issue for me has just been time, I'm afraid. I'll get the polls up this weekend for sure, but possibly not until Sunday. As I posted last weekend, it will all happen, it may just be slow.

Progress!

Have to focus on homework after I get this up, so polls probably won't start until tomorrow or Wednesday, but at least I've got rankings all figured out. You'll notice the numbers are wonky, but that's because I didn't get rankings from everyone, causing a discrepancy in the number of votes everyone received. As I did with my draft last year, I have compensated for that discrepancy by assigning each ranking a point value (1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2, and so forth) and dividing the total by the number of rankings actually received for each participant.

Results as follows (number of first place rankings in parentheses):

1. D-Mass - 4.111 (1)
2. GoGoGadget - 4.625 (2)
3. Bricklayer - 4.666 (3)
4. SacKings7 - 5.625 (1)
5. Löwenherz - 6
6. Capt. Factorial - 6.875
7. pdxKingsFan - 7.125
8. Larry89 - 7.222
9. kingsnation - 7.5
10. Jespher - 7.625
11. AleksandarN - 7.75
12. Kings Faithful - 8 (1)
13. kings4lyfe32 - 10 (1)
14. bozzwell - 12.222
15. SLAB - 13.222
16. atxrocker - 14.222

UNCLE!!

I would really like to see this thing carried through to its end, but... 19 units, three studio classes, preparation for the GRE, applying to grad schools... every time I sit down to start working on the polls, I can't help but think of the 50 kajillion other real life things that I need to be doing. And I don't see that ending any time soon.

Now that the rankings have been posted, if anyone cares about the results enough that they feel like taking over with the polls/voting, you are hereby welcome to do so. Don't necessarily like the idea of just letting this go since I agreed to take over for pdx, but neither would I feel comfortable continuing to make promises about getting the polls started when I know I don't realistically have time to deal with it.

UNCLE!!

I would really like to see this thing carried through to its end, but... 19 units, three studio classes, preparation for the GRE, applying to grad schools... every time I sit down to start working on the polls, I can't help but think of the 50 kajillion other real life things that I need to be doing. And I don't see that ending any time soon.

Now that the rankings have been posted, if anyone cares about the results enough that they feel like taking over with the polls/voting, you are hereby welcome to do so. Don't necessarily like the idea of just letting this go since I agreed to take over for pdx, but neither would I feel comfortable continuing to make promises about getting the polls started when I know I don't realistically have time to deal with it.
I Guess I'll step up and help you out too GGG. Polls upcoming :).

Status
Not open for further replies.