TDOS Draft to End All Drafts - Round 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This one is a bit hard to encapsulate, but I haven't really gone after any super-wide-all-inclusive-mega-picks and this one is very true to my heart.
d.i.y. (do it yourself)
Specifically I'm referring to the sub-culture of independently produced/self published works of music, art, film, etc.

From wikipedia:
The term 'DIY' or 'Do-It-Yourself' is also used to describe:

* Self-publishing books, zines, and alternative comics.
* bands or solo artists releasing their music on self-funded record labels
* creating crafts such as knitting, sewing, handmade jewelry, ceramics, etc.
* creating punk, indie, or hipster musical merchandise through the use of recycling thrift store or discarded materials, usually decorated with logo art applied by silk screen.
* Independent game development and game modding.

DIY as a subculture arguably began with the punk movement of the 1970s. Instead of traditional means of bands reaching their audiences through large music labels, bands began recording themselves, manufacturing albums and merchandise, booking their own tours, and creating opportunities for smaller bands to get wider recognition and gain cult status through repetitive low-cost DIY touring. The burgeoning zine movement took up coverage of and promotion of the underground punk scenes, and significantly altered the way fans interacted with musicians. Zines quickly branched off from being hand-made music magazines to become more personal. Zines quickly became one of the youth culture's gateways to DIY culture, which lead to tutorial zines showing others how to make their own shirts, posters, zines, books, food, etc.
With the internet age this has also lead to blogs, podcasting, youtube, etc.

However, since I have the term it can also be assumed that I am also a certified master craftsman around the house too. :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Makeup #3

Since I still had one left:

The Study of History

Ah, one to send the historiphobes running for the hills. I worded it this way because I am not trying to take all of history here, as if I can own the history of the human race. I am taking the study of that history. It can be fascinating once you get beyond the school age idiocy of having to memorize long lists of the reign dates of every English king for 1000 years. I know more about Ethiopian history than most Ethiopians, once read a 1000 page heavily footnoted book on the history of the Dutch Republic (did you know there were once a great power?:eek:), and just finished one on the history of armor that I picked up on a whim from a used book store. Historyis not only the story of how we got here, but in many cases the story of who we still are today. Why are the Pakistanis and Indians in eternal conflict over Kashmir? Its there. Why the rivalry betwen Iran and Iraq? Its there. The Balkan conflict? Its there. Somalia? There. Why is Poland Catholic? There. Kurdistan? Greater Mexico? Rebels in South Mexico? China's regional dominance? The reason North Korea is allowed to exist? Its all there. Indeed I daresay a study of history might have saved several of our recent presidents some of their bigger blunders.

Next up:

Accomplishments, or, rather, the feeling of accomplishment. There's nothing like challenging yourself to do something, and then actually completing it.

Been busy for the last couple of days and have, therefore, not updated the board until now. By my count, Bricklayer timed out yesterday at 5:12 AM, Jespher timed out last night at 11:12 PM, SLAB is still missing, and kings4lyfe32 is now up. I'll send a PM.

All things in moderation, including moderation. With my 19th pick I choose:

Balance

Balance is the desirable place between two opposing forces. This facilitates happiness, keeps things new, and keeps life in motion. I find I'm happiest when my life is in balance; a happy medium between stressful/productive activities and vegetative bliss :).

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_(metaphysics)

Last edited:
Might be getting too food crazy with my list, but I need one more spreadable edible.

Nutella -- This stuff is delicious on almost anything. Even a spoon. Okay... especially a spoon. :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Makeup pick #3719

Chicks Who Rock

As in literally. Been so few good ones over the years, and in the current era most are forced down Britney pop or faux R&B pop alleys if they want to get signed.

My island utopia is nearly complete. I have life in all its forms, love in all its expressions, imagination to give life meaning, along with laughter and cooperation to bring everyone together. I have storytellers, outdoor sports, the diverse cuisines of Europe, and those personable, essential comfort foods. My residents can be entertained with their televisions, or in their beautiful epic landscapes and lush, exotic gardens. They can always stay connected with their wireless internet access, and the superpowers help too :). I have the joy of being a father, and the simple pleasures of trampolines, guitar riffs, and maps. Having recently added balance to my life, and that of my residents, the environment is ideal for facilitating my next pick...

With my 20th and final choice, I select:

Happiness

Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy. Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Research has identified a number of attributes that correlate with happiness: relationships and social interaction, extraversion, marital status, employment, health, democratic freedom, optimism, religious involvement, income and proximity to other happy people.
More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness

Last edited:
Sorry for the holdup, never got a PM

For my last pick, I take:

Dubai - With it's 7 star hotels, record breaking structures n all the good stuff. Looks like an amazing place

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ok, this was tough because I actually had a bunch of cool things I can't pick, then there was kind of a 3 way split between the neighborhood I grew up in, the city I went to school in and love dearly and the city I live in now and can't imagine living anywhere else. Then there were a ton of sports I love that I couldn't narrow down to just one. Then it hit me, my last pick is going to be:
The Best Seat in the House
I am not even going to bother with a picture here. Center court at basketball, center ice at hockey, midfield in football or soccer, behind the plate at a baseball game. Front row. VIP service. I got it. If I go to a movie I get the middle of the theater to myself. No craned neck and of course all the seats around me are roped off. If I go to dinner I get the window seat with the view or the romantic spot in the corner. In my theater I get the one spot that has been calibrated for optimal sound.

FANTASY FOOTBALL!

Before fantasy football, I mostly watched 49er games...didn't care a whole lot about what was going on in the AFC. A Bills / Ravens game would have been turned off without a second thought. Fantasy football has made me a much bigger fan of the NFL and it makes it more exciting to watch other games and follow particular players. It doesn't have to involve money...in fact, I generally like free leagues better (mainly because I'm extremely cheap). My work does one in which all of the money generated goes to a massive super bowl party at the end of the season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Its interesting that the thing that most people love about Fantasy Football is the reason that I can't do it. I have been watching football longer than any sport and have pretty passionate feelings one way or the other about almost every team, save a few expansion teams. Not to mention with so few games and a zillion convoluted tie breakers almost every game is meaningful in its own right after about 4 weeks into the season when teams have got their rhythm going.

I think its pretty cool but I just can't do it. I did it in the XFL and kicked butt.

With my final pick, I select something I absolutely LOVE to do!!

Singing

So, I love to sing! In the car, in the shower, anywhere I get the chance! I pretty much suck at it, but there is nothing like singing at the top of your lungs to your favorite song!

Status
Not open for further replies.