Some reasonable trade targets

Wilson Chandler is the most likely of all mentioned above and we have assets to get him maybe T-Rob+Hayes or Garcia(expiring) for Chandler but thats overpaying but im not sure how many other options we might have right now to balance the roster.
Are you kidding me? You really think Chandler is going to lead the way for the Kings to make it to the playoffs? I can't believe you would want to trade a possible superstar for a role player. You guys are so hung up on this SF crap that you are willing to sell the farm to get one.

Face it, IT, Tyreke, roleplaying SF, JT and Cousins is not a playoff team no matter how you cut it!

Tyreke, Cousins, T-Rob, MT are playoff quality core (if T-rob becomes the 17/10 he should be). IT and JT are playoff caliber 6th/7th rotation support. If Hayes or Salmons can be turned into a defense first wing, then you'd have the makings of a young playoff roster.

I dangle MT as a trade bait because between Jimmer, Salmons, Garcia, and TWill, this team should be able to get by at guard next to Reke/IT. Then when contending is serious they can look for that killer scoring guard (unlikely but maybe Jimmer) and 4th shotblocking big.

Are you kidding me? You really think Chandler is going to lead the way for the Kings to make it to the playoffs? I can't believe you would want to trade a possible superstar for a role player. You guys are so hung up on this SF crap that you are willing to sell the farm to get one.

Face it, IT, Tyreke, roleplaying SF, JT and Cousins is not a playoff team no matter how you cut it!
Well I hope your right that he becomes a star I REALLY REALLY do! If he does we can end up with our own version of what Memphis has going on with Z-bo and Gasol and fight and claw our way into the playoffs. (so we pray)

Any Kings fan thinking that's a playoff team is delusional.

Why?
Because we already know they aren't - we saw that last year.
They need a clutch vet SF and a playmaking vet PG to make the playoffs.
Making do with what they had last year will get them what they got last year - out of the playoffs. And having to convince Tyreke to stay here. Of course, if Tyreke doesn't make BIG strides next year, they won't want to pay him enough to stay, so that'll be an easy decision, at least. And then they'll have to convince DMC to stay :eek:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Neither was Westbrook, Sefalosha, Durant, Ibaka and Krstic I think it was.

And then a funny thing happens when you get extrremely talented kids. They grow up, and all of a sudden you are.

Cousins will be a 20-10 Top 3 center next year. That gets you clsoe on its own. Any revival by Reke back toward 20-5-5 would make it hard not to be in the running when paired with that center. In fact the easiest way to miss at that point becomes, once again, insufficeint defense/defensive roleplayers.

I think this is right:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm
which would be $41.0 mil before Jason's Qualifying $$ and TRob's $2.8mil. Donte obviously is off the books now. So be $43.8mil pending the outcome of Jason's free agency, nd TWill's free agency. Cap is $58mil. Minimum salary is...? Not sure. Much closer to that cap than it used to be.
This season, minimum was 80% of the cap. Next season it will be 85% of the cap and 90% the season after. So assuming the cap is going to be $58 million and we need to spend at least 85%, then the minimum would be around $49.5 million.

Bricklayer

This season, minimum was 80% of the cap. Next season it will be 85% of the cap and 90% the season after. So assuming the cap is going to be $58 million and we need to spend at least 85%, then the minimum would be around $49.5 million.
Cool then we truly can get there jsut wth Jason and TWill. No more need wasting time with FA discussions.

a breakout season for Jimmer and Tyler would bring this team to the next level even if we could only resign JT and T-Will. But that's a big IF. So let's hope shows us something nice, even if Tyler won't be there.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
a breakout season for Jimmer and Tyler would bring this team to the next level even if we could only resign JT and T-Will. But that's a big IF. So let's hope shows us something nice, even if Tyler won't be there.
You mean like 12th worst in the west rather than 14th worst? Don't see how either even if they improve really make us more competitive. They both need to improve by a considerable amount just to be regulars in the rotation. Any considerable bump in wins comes from maturation of Cuz/Reke/MT and the addition of TRob and possibly yet to be acquired player x imo.

I wouldn't trade t rob, but I think you don't quite grasp the importance of an SF. Tell me, who on our team is going to guard Durant, Rudy Gay, James, Pierce, Anthony etc?

Jimmer and Cisco (who is effectively an ending contract) for Iggy works via RealGM. I wonder if adding in a relatively unprotected 1st round pick would be enough to pique Philly's interest. Saves them money, gives them a chance to grab a player who at the very least can be a bench shooter and possibly more if he has a strong bounce back in his sophomore year and another draft pick to build on.
Think it would at least take Thornton, Garcia's expiring and a pick. They have Meeks at SF, so Thornton would be a big upgrade if they are looking to offload Iggy. Thought they would probably get a better offer from another team if he is truly on the market.

I'm thinking we better shoot low given the constraints of the Maloofs. Dorrell Wright is probably a veteran whose played for Smart and shoots the three well enough. Nothing fancy on defense, but not pathetic either.
If nothing just trade for the guy so I don't have to watch him kill the Kings from out there every stinking game.

Wright might be a target since he played 25mpg at SF after all-star and they will need all those minutes for Barnes. Problem is he's not a big upgrade and clogs SF spot even more.
I'm starting to believe they will get to 85% of salary cup with Jason and Williams (unfortunately, I don't think it's very probable) and sit on their hands putting Jerry upfront with "shotblocking is overrated" and Grant with "Look, Outlaw shot .400 from three in April".

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Playoffs is possible, imo. I think the Kings were underachievers last year. They had more talent than their record indicated. If they can perform to their talent level, and commit to D, a .500 ball club should be possible. At OKC Brooks challenged his young guys to play D. That's the only way they would get to the playoffs, he said. Smart needs to do the same. If the Kings step it up on D, they've got tons of rebounding to start their running game. They should be in top 3 in rebounding in the league. (And yes, I'm assuming they resign Thompson). However, if the Kings don't put out the effort or time to get better on D, then they'll be picking high in the lottery again.

Dorell Wright seems like the most likely target for us. Classic Kings type of move. Cheap contract on a 1 year deal. Short money. So goes life being a fan of a team with broke-*** owners.

Truth be told, he'd be a perfect fit offensively. Very good deep shooter. Pretty good size at 6-7. Only takes up 8 shots a game. Good off the ball, and will stay out of the way. He also had a very good year under Keith Smart. I think it's just a matter of time before we trade something for him. And he's only 26.

He does nothing for us defensively. Nada. Obviously I'd rather have AK. Who wouldn't? but this would be an upgrade over what we have, and juuuuust enough to push Thornton or Thomas to the bench.

We need defense to WIN. I mean really win. Championship win. This wouldn't put us at that level of course, but Wright would improve our starting unit. And I actually like the fact that he's on a one year deal. Gives us the option to upgrade his spot with a real defender during the year if a deal involving Iggy or Deng materializes.

IT
Evans
Wright
Robinson
Cousins

With Thornton as your big gun off the bench.

If Smart cannot get that team to around .500 , we are in trouble.

Bricklayer

Dorell Wright seems like the most likely target for us. Classic Kings type of move. Cheap contract on a 1 year deal. Short money. So goes life being a fan of a team with broke-*** owners.

Truth be told, he'd be a perfect fit offensively. Very good deep shooter. Pretty good size at 6-7. Only takes up 8 shots a game. Good off the ball, and will stay out of the way. He also had a very good year under Keith Smart. I think it's just a matter of time before we trade something for him. And he's only 26.

He does nothing for us defensively. Nada. Obviously I'd rather have AK. Who wouldn't? but this would be an upgrade over what we have, and juuuuust enough to push Thornton or Thomas to the bench.

We need defense to WIN. I mean really win. Championship win. This wouldn't put us at that level of course, but Wright would improve our starting unit. And I actually like the fact that he's on a one year deal. Gives us the option to upgrade his spot with a real defender during the year if a deal involving Iggy or Deng materializes.

IT
Evans
Wright
Robinson
Cousins

With Thornton as your big gun off the bench.

If Smart cannot get that team to around .500 , we are in trouble.

For the reasons listed Wright is not an imposible target. I could see it.

Just thinking through some potential Dorell Wright deals ...

Wright and Biedrins for Salmons ? They save about $5million this season to spend on something. With Salmons ability to swing between SF and SG .. and even bench 'PG' .. he may be more valuable to them then Wright. And of course, We'd be saving them money on Biedrins.

More likely? Wright and Biedrins for Hayes? Same situation, but now they save about 7 million this season. We save long term money.

I'd prefer Hayes for Wright straight up, just not sure if the Warriors would do that. It would allow us to bring JT back without totally loading up big money on our second string big men.

One more note before the anti-Biedirins crowd rolls in... in 15mpg last season he shot .609 from the field and blocked 1 shot. Per 36 numbers are 8.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks. We could do worse for a 4th big next season (beside Cousins / Robinson / JT ... or someone else if we let JT walk)

Last edited:
I like Wright for Hayes. I just wanna get rid of Hayes really. I honestly think he lost us a handful of games last season by doing nothing positive on the floor

I'm thinking we better shoot low given the constraints of the Maloofs. Dorrell Wright is probably a veteran whose played for Smart and shoots the three well enough. Nothing fancy on defense, but not pathetic either.
If nothing just trade for the guy so I don't have to watch him kill the Kings from out there every stinking game.
Which makes me wonder why they didnt swap picks and pick up Wright in the process. Neither POR or GS were going to take Robinson so i am a little confused.

Ahhh I thought all the Tyrus Thomas talks here have ended.. Dude is a bust.. I don't want him within 100 miles of this team. Except when we play against him.

Gary - FOUR YEARS AGO!!!! in 2008 said:
I hate Tyrus Thomas.. Seriously.. Why is he Sacramento Kings fans wet dream? He sucks!!! An undersized PF who can't play SF because he lacks SF skills. The only time Tyrus puts up anything is in Summer Leagues or 1 out of every 10 regular season games where you see him get like 20/9. If he's not averaging that then I don't want him. Which he's not so...... No thanks.

Last edited: