So what position do you guys think Evans will play in the future?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't think Evans was a PG before we drafted him. At this point I'm a little more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard. He's got the handle to play point so bringing the ball up isn't a problem. We know he can get into the lane. He absolutely can guard PGs -- that kind of wing span is going to make it tough for even Chris Paul to run around him. But is he going to be able to set up his teammates? I don't really see that happening.

But it doesn't necessarily have to either. He can probably be as good of a facilitator as Tracy McGrady is in Houston (when he's actually healthy) -- and McGrady does rack up assists. Most of those come from the rest of the team standing around and watching while he takes on two defenders, but that type of offense works for Portland and it worked for Miami a couple years ago. There's no rule that a PG has to run pick and roll plays all game and find cutters with bounce passes. Evans could easily post up most PGs in the league and if the defense has to switch or double team to stop him, that alone will create scoring opportunities for other people. That's the offense Cleveland runs too. I don't think it's wise to expect Lebron James passing ability out of Evans, but he doesn't have to be that good for it to work. It's a vastly different type of offense than what we're use to in Sacramento, but it's time for a change anyway isn't it?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter that much which position Evans plays. We drafted him because he's a physically dominant player who can score in bunches and defend. At the very least, Evans gives you options that the other PGs don't.

1) The All-Defense back court. Perhaps we try to get Rondo from Boston for Kevin Martin? Evans fills the scoring role at SG (though his long range shooting will have to get better, which I'm sure it will in time). That backcourt is going to be scary for a couple years as neither guy is much of a threat from distance, but it would also be scary for other guards to play against. Evans plays the Paul Pierce instant offense role and Rondo becomes our set-up guy.

2) Keep Evans at PG and Martin at SG and force the defense to guard one of them one-on-one. Martin wants to work off the ball anyway and having Evans attacking the basket is going to pull in defenders away from Kevin and his golden touch. Plus you have to like what Evans does for Kevin defensively. He becomes the "small" quick guard in the back-court and his lack of strength is less of a glaring weakness.

3) If we get the top pick next year and draft Wall or another top PG prospect falls to us in the future, then Evans becomes the SG. Any of the other PGs in this draft wouldn't have left us with this option and we'd be looking for a trade like Minnesota is right now.

That's one of the things I DO like about Evans. Draw and kick. The kick part is what he is a bit weak on, but his drive is as good as anybodies right now.

As for Defense, meh. It's going to take fiddling, but small, quick NBA guards in the 6'0-6'2 165-185lbs range are going to give him problems. At Memphis it happened which they would have to bring in Kemp, and take Mack out and switch Evans to SG, but he hopefully it can be resolved or we can get a more defensive minded combo guard in there to guard the smaller players.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That's one of the things I DO like about Evans. Draw and kick. The kick part is what he is a bit weak on, but his drive is as good as anybodies right now.

As for Defense, meh. It's going to take fiddling, but small, quick NBA guards in the 6'0-6'2 165-185lbs range are going to give him problems. At Memphis it happened which they would have to bring in Kemp, and take Mack out and switch Evans to SG, but he hopefully it can be resolved or we can get a more defensive minded combo guard in there to guard the smaller players.
If Evans really can't stay in front of the little guys, than couldn't Martin cover them? We had Kevin Martin guarding Tony Parker because Bibby couldn't do it. On the switch, Evans is going to play much better defense on the other teams shooting guard than Bibby would have. And we know Kevin can't guard the big, physical players. Now we have someone who can. Either way the team is much better off defensively with Evans in one of the guard spots. With all three of the scenarios I mentioned, Evans wouldn't have to guard the other team's PG. And maybe taking some of the pressure off of Martin to create offense will re-awaken his defensive game.

Without diverging too much, I think the primary factor in choosing Evans over Rubio was defense. Rubio can get in the passing lanes, but he's just as skinny as Martin is and not particularly fast. He will probably do a decent job against other PGs, but he's not going to be able to guard anyone else. That backcourt would have been a liability defensively. Evans isn't the prototypical PG, but he will be a factor on defense whatever position he plays.

Last edited:
If Evans really can't stay in front of the little guys, than couldn't Martin cover them? We had Kevin Martin guarding Tony Parker because Bibby couldn't do it. On the switch, Evans is going to play much better defense on the other teams shooting guard than Bibby would have. And we know Kevin can't guard the big, physical players. Now we have someone who can. Either way the team is much better off defensively with Evans in one of the guard spots. With all three of the scenarios I mentioned, Evans wouldn't have to guard the other team's PG. And maybe taking some of the pressure off of Martin to create offense will re-awaken his defensive game.

Without diverging too much, I think the primary factor in choosing Evans over Rubio was defense. Rubio can get in the passing lanes, but he's just as skinny as Martin is and not particularly fast. He will probably do a decent job against other PGs, but he's not going to be able to guard anyone else. That backcourt would have been a liability defensively. Evans isn't the prototypical PG, but he will be a factor on defense whatever position he plays.

Nah.. Not Martin. He had so much adrenaline during that series he probably could have guarded Duncan. Since then he has pretty much sucked butt on Defense. Not sure why because he was not expected to be a bad defender, but under no circumstances do I want him guarding a PG. Might as well leave Evans on the PG than let Martin guard him. Yes, that's how bad I think Martin is Defensively.

piksi

Hall of Famer
He'll be a top 5 PG in the league for 15 years.

no, he won't

It means that he would have to be on level of Paul, Williams, Parker etc plus all other PGs that will come in the next 15 years. If You are not a pure PG - You can become good but You won't be a top 5 ever.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I saw the Christie comparison and kind of agree with that.. Christie did play the point in Toronto for a year and it didn't work out, so he was moved to the 2 and did excel there when he was able to create for others but didn't have to pattern his whole game after that.

IMO I think Christie is a LOT better of a playmaker than Evans is. So I see Evans at SG. I just hope if/when we do trade Martin that it's for someone that isn't 20 years old. Let's get some leadership in here.
Christie? A better playmaker than Evans?:D:

Christie played the point for the Kings.
Evans is >> Christie
Ergo, Evans is >> point than Christie.

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

I think Evans is an unconventional PG.

I seriously dont see why theres so many worries that Evans cant run the PG.

look at all the PGs in the league you'll find many different styles from guys that can pass to open players with their eyes closed... to guys that just consistently make the right play and find the open man...

Evans is obviously gonna play PG so lets wait to see how it goes and let him find his game...

Keep in mind in college guys like Evans are told to dominate the ball and score at will...

so maybe hes a better passer than we all think... who knows...

this team is still about the whole team passing the ball so who knows.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Who knows. Beno might, Evans is a 19 year old rookie. There's no shame in him starting the year coming off the bench. Rubio, Flynn or Curry would probably have started the year as a backup too.
The Kings have a lot invested in Evans. If he's not able to unseat Beno fairly soon in the season, if not from the get go, I'll be surprised. There was a lot of hype last night about Evans. He's being promoted as a star. A difference maker. Looks pretty bad if that person can't beat out Beno.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
LOL WTF? Are you joking? Even top point guards arent top 5 for 15 years.

If you arent being sarcastic, throwing hyperbole, or otherwise being some sort of troll, you really need to stop posting anything.
Well, in truth, most players don't even play 15 years. John Stockton is an exception. Mark Jackson might be another one.. So you have a good point. I think we should take his post in the spirit in which it was intended. I think you know what I mean.

See, you don't get it. They want a soft Euro to complement the rest of the soft team. It's a matter of principle - at least let us be consistent and maintain our softness. That is, after all, who we are. And they really like guys who bounce balls off their feet and who do wrap around passes to themselves when there is no need to do so. They've been in the dark so long that they need a few laughs to get them up and going, and Jason Williams II would be good for that. All that defense stuff and rebounding, that's boring. And the Rubio kid has a nice smile - don't you feel it? He would have made everything better, but now?....we'll just have to suffer through a guy who can finish at the basket, plays D, rebounds, and yeah, he makes some passes, but he just doesn't shine...

So lame.

Rubio drops dimes. Makes teammates better. Controls the pace of the game. To say fans wanted him here for a couple of fancy passes is complete utter BS.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Evans is an unconventional PG.

I seriously dont see why theres so many worries that Evans cant run the PG.

look at all the PGs in the league you'll find many different styles from guys that can pass to open players with their eyes closed... to guys that just consistently make the right play and find the open man...

Evans is obviously gonna play PG so lets wait to see how it goes and let him find his game...

Keep in mind in college guys like Evans are told to dominate the ball and score at will...

so maybe hes a better passer than we all think... who knows...

this team is still about the whole team passing the ball so who knows.
I think its fair to say that as a nineteen year old kid, its still possible to learn. As observers, we take a very small capsule of someone's life and try and decide who he is as player. Or who he could be in the future. Its not fair, but its all we have. There are many ways to look at a player. One way is to look for all the things he does wrong, or that he can't do well. The opposite of that is to look at all the things he does well and then amplify them to the highest level possible.

Neither approach is the right one. A nice mix of the two is more realistic. But this is where objectivity comes in. Whether we like it or not, were influenced by our own desires, and many times those desires overcome our objectivity. I would love to claim that I'm above all this, but, I know I'm not.

What I have learned over the years of my life, is that I can scream to the high heavens, stomp my feet, utter obscenitys, send viruses to people I don't like (just kidding) and when I'm done doing all that, nothing has changed. I just used up a lot of emotional energy and probably irritated a bunch of people. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't do that if you think it makes you feel better. Just that it didn't make me feel better. As a matter of fact, I would replace the word better with bitter.

At any rate, Evans is our guy. Whether he's going to be as good at the Kings think, will play out in the next couple of years. I'm on board for the ride. Its a little easier for me because I liked him anyway. Two years ago, Hawes was my choice. Last year, Thompson was my choice. This year Evans was my choice. So if it all turns out badly, just blame me.:eek:

Christie? A better playmaker than Evans?:D:

Christie played the point for the Kings.
Evans is >> Christie
Ergo, Evans is >> point than Christie.

Oh no no no... ohhhh nooo.. Christie is head and shoulders above Evans as a play manker, and had better court vision than Evans shown us at Memphis. I mean hell, a ton of the set plays at Memphis went through Antonio Anderson playing point forward and not Evans..

But yah.. Stick with your opinion and i'll stick with mine. At this point IMO Evans can't hold Christie's jock.

Christie played the point for an entire year at Toronto, and I feel that's how it's going to go with Tyreak here. Neither are true points, and neither can carry a team for a full year without detracting from their strengths as SGs.

Last edited:
Oh no no no... ohhhh nooo.. Christie is head and shoulders above Evans as a play manker, and had better court vision than Evans shown us at Memphis. I mean hell, a ton of the set plays at Memphis went through Antonio Anderson playing point forward and not Evans..

But yah.. Stick with your opinion and i'll stick with mine. At this point IMO Evans can't hold Christie's jock.

Christie played the point for an entire year at Toronto, and I feel that's how it's going to go with Tyreak here. Neither are true points, and neither can carry a team for a full year without detracting from their strengths as SGs.
Jackie wouldn't let him anyways. :p

heh.. I am sure all the NBA fans remember that though. It was one year after the lockout season Toronto gave him the reigns for the season, and he put up Beno type numbers. His defense suffered guarding smaller players, and in turn he was pretty much traded to Sacramento because of it. We put him back at SG and he was mention as all defensive, and his steals went back to over 2 a game, and he was slashing and dashing. He was exactly what this team needed at SG.

What if the Kings put him at PG? eep!:eek:

The Kings have a lot invested in Evans. If he's not able to unseat Beno fairly soon in the season, if not from the get go, I'll be surprised. There was a lot of hype last night about Evans. He's being promoted as a star. A difference maker. Looks pretty bad if that person can't beat out Beno.
Maybe yes. However, the best that Beno can do for us right now is to play decently, and hopefully find some taker. Unless he gives a very poor effort again at the beginning of the season, giving his starting spot to a rookie might make him the next KT for us.

I say Evan is going to be a big PG that can slide over to shooting guard as needed. If Evans was shorter at 6'2 or 6'3, no one will be questioning him as a pt guard. But because he is tall at 6'5, people label him as a shooting guard automatically.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I say Evan is going to be a big PG that can slide over to shooting guard as needed. If Evans was shorter at 6'2 or 6'3, no one will be questioning him as a pt guard. But because he is tall at 6'5, people label him as a shooting guard automatically.

So does averaging less than 4 assists a game. He only had more than 6 assists once all season, and int hat one he had 8 assists...to go with 7 turnovers.

The people questioning whether he can play the point are not entirely offbase -- he was much more a 1/2 or ball dominant SG playing PG last year rather than a pure point. There is rouhgly 0% chance he is ever the distributor Rubio is. The thing is that does not close the book on him being competent, sharing ballhandling duties, and dominating in other ways.

So does averaging less than 4 assists a game. He only had more than 6 assists once all season, and int hat one he had 8 assists...to go with 7 turnovers.

The people questioning whether he can play the point are not entirely offbase -- he was much more a 1/2 or ball dominant SG playing PG last year rather than a pure point. There is rouhgly 0% chance he is ever the distributor Rubio is. The thing is that does not close the book on him being competent, sharing ballhandling duties, and dominating in other ways.
I very much appreciate your balanced and objective view. I just wish others could see things as you do.

I labeled him a SG because he doesn't really do anything that a traditional PG does except handles the ball well. We will see though. This will be his first real gig as a full fledged PG where he has to make his teammates better. Let's hope he does.

I very much appreciate your balanced and objective view. I just wish others could see things as you do.
I see things pretty much the same way, but am mad because we have a huge contract at SG, and we drafted a guy that's a much much better SG prospect than a PG prospect. I don't want to get on the boat of drafting players only to send them away in a couple years for another young player. The Warriors did that years ago, and could have actually put together a great team had they all stuck together.

I see things pretty much the same way, but am mad because we have a huge contract at SG, and we drafted a guy that's a much much better SG prospect than a PG prospect. I don't want to get on the boat of drafting players only to send them away in a couple years for another young player. The Warriors did that years ago, and could have actually put together a great team had they all stuck together.
Yea I get what you mean. Too late now I guess, we can only hope that he can make the team better playing PG and hopefully he can grow into the PG role more.

Being concerned about Evans playing the point is totally legit. He isnt a 'pure' point guard ... he may not be any kind of point guard for that matter, but I really think we just have to wait and see .. I know that is cliche, but its true. The 'good' thing is we have plenty of time to sort all of this out. He'll play point guard this year, and you know what? Its not going to hurt us. It cant hurt us, we had the worst record in the league, playing a guy potentially out of position for a year means little to nothing. If it turns out we drafted a SG then so be it, we'll figure it out, we have plenty of time to figure it out before it matters anyways ...

Its been said, but for a rebuilding team one strong strategy is to just get talent. Stockpile nice young pieces and figure it out when you have to figure it out. Alot of scouts pegged Evans as the second best talent in the draft and I can live with that .. he has game, we just dont know what kind of game yet.

Y

y2kings

I'm gonna be honest, all those ppl who are doubting Tyreke Evans simply don't watch or know basketball. I follow college recruiting as well as the draft. Tyreke evans was being recruited for jr high and high school ball when he was 8. Played Varsity as a 7th grader. McDonald's all-american and mvp of the mcdonald's all-american game, freshmen player of the year, and only freshmen to be considered for the Niesmith player and Oscar Roberston Player of the year awards, c-usa tournament mvp, mvp of the west regional...Ranked #2 in Rivals.com in the country only behind Brandon Jennings (LOL). This guy is going to be so good it's too good to be true that the kings got him. Let me name other players with similar awards: Carmelo, Lebron, Wade, Iverson.

Since a young age, he's been destined to be a star. He'll bring the ball up and may not be the "pure point guard" that everyone wants but i'd take Dwade who was supposedly a "PG" the same way that Evans was referred to as a point guard over Jwill anyday...that's as good as Rubio will ever be. If you think Rubio would of ever made to the level of CP3 or Rondo or Deron williams, you simply dont understand basketball. Rubio is not fast, he's shifty, he's not athletic like CP3, Rondo or williams either. Evans on the other hand has proven it on EVERY LEVEL. He's dominated every level and he's a humble, hard working guy. By the end of the year, all those who weren't in support of this pick will begin to realize that we're just fans and the scouting staff is the scouting staff for a specific reason. Bottom line, Evans will be an all star at worse, with a superstar ceiling. Rubio would can maybe become Jwilliams but he's not going to be CP3.

So does averaging less than 4 assists a game. He only had more than 6 assists once all season, and in that one he had 8 assists...to go with 7 turnovers.

Derrick Rose averaged 4.7 assist per game for memphis (Keep in mind his Memphis team was a Final Four team and a much better team)

Evans averaged 3.9 where he was really the only good player... So the reigning ROY with the breakout playoff performance had 1 more assist per game.

Y

y2kings

Totally agree with you. When people say he's ball dominant (esp in the media) they dont realize that's what the dribble drive motion offense is. The DDM offense requires 1 guy dominating the ball and running the offense. It's not a typical movement offense like the triangle or princeton offense.

I heard Jay Bilas say that too yesterday that evans tends to be ball dominant....well you could say that about all the great players, who cares if they are...they're still great! haha

Derrick Rose averaged 4.7 assist per game for memphis (Keep in mind his Memphis team was a Final Four team and a much better team)

Evans averaged 3.9 where he was really the only good player... So the reigning ROY with the breakout playoff performance had 1 more assist per game.

Entity

Hall of Famer
here is my take. Some are concerned about defense. I think Evans is more than capable of defending the pg position. Now on offense. No he isn't a lights out shooter and he isn't going to go with behind the back passes from 40 feet for an ally oop.

but in watching this team last year. we only won 17 games. Beno was our point it is easy to see trends in only 17 wins. Or absolute best games and Beno's best games was when he never made a 3pt shot and drove to the basket and scored or passed out of the drive. This is precisely what Evans excels at and is head and shoulders better than Beno at. Watch Beno's infamous game against San Antonio driving and driving constantly or the game last year agains the knicks which was one our largest margins of victory. he had 20pts 7reb 7ast and never made a 3pt shot. He drove and scored at the rim or passed out off the drive. That's Evans signature.

I'm gonna be honest, all those ppl who are doubting Tyreke Evans simply don't watch or know basketball. I follow college recruiting as well as the draft. Tyreke evans was being recruited for jr high and high school ball when he was 8. Played Varsity as a 7th grader. McDonald's all-american and mvp of the mcdonald's all-american game, freshmen player of the year, and only freshmen to be considered for the Niesmith player and Oscar Roberston Player of the year awards, c-usa tournament mvp, mvp of the west regional...Ranked #2 in Rivals.com in the country only behind Brandon Jennings (LOL). This guy is going to be so good it's too good to be true that the kings got him. Let me name other players with similar awards: Carmelo, Lebron, Wade, Iverson.

Since a young age, he's been destined to be a star. He'll bring the ball up and may not be the "pure point guard" that everyone wants but i'd take Dwade who was supposedly a "PG" the same way that Evans was referred to as a point guard over Jwill anyday...that's as good as Rubio will ever be. If you think Rubio would of ever made to the level of CP3 or Rondo or Deron williams, you simply dont understand basketball. Rubio is not fast, he's shifty, he's not athletic like CP3, Rondo or williams either. Evans on the other hand has proven it on EVERY LEVEL. He's dominated every level and he's a humble, hard working guy. By the end of the year, all those who weren't in support of this pick will begin to realize that we're just fans and the scouting staff is the scouting staff for a specific reason. Bottom line, Evans will be an all star at worse, with a superstar ceiling. Rubio would can maybe become Jwilliams but he's not going to be CP3.
Well, I'm not doubting our pick. I know most of kings fans are just curious and anxious to know how he will fit in to kings system.
BTW, even #1 picks had some question marks around them. It's just how it goes. We will see. I don't know why you are so upset. Is it bad to analyze if he can play point or not?