So what position do you guys think Evans will play in the future?

I think, even though he has a nice ball handling skills, he will end up as a SG in this league. He doesn't have enough vision and creativity to become a PG IMO.

As a SG, I think he will be downgrade version of D-Wade or upgrade version of John Salmons. Either one he becomes will be a terrific for Kings.

That means Kevin Martin out of Sactown..

I see Evans playing off guard and Johnny Flynn playing point guard, but according to NBA GMs, it seems that I am horribly wrong.

You and me both. I make a hobby out of amateur scouting and such, and I never had Evans figured as a starting PG on an NBA team.

What do I think will happen? We will play him at PG and chances are it will fail, and we will look to trade Martin to move Evans into SG and start the re-build all over again :mad:

In other words, "We don't think Evans is a true PG so let's complain about how he's going to become a star SG and force us to trade Martin".

Can we change the name of the thread to that?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Petrie already said he is a multiple position player, but I think he plays the pg position more than any. We'll have to wait and see what Westphal says on the matter. He was reportedly very high on the pick and said that Tyreke fits in very well with the way he wants to play.

I just don't get how some people are overreacting to the Evans pick. He may not be as good as a passer as Rubio but being a great passer will not a necessity for a PG if your coach does not install a system that utilizes this skill.

I mean we just got a new coaching staff, and we are still about to see how Westphal will run this team. He and Petrie were there watching each hyped PG work out. They saw the potential of each and Petrie even went to Europe to personally watch Rubio. If Petrie picked Evans at #4 even without scouting him, then that total BS. But Tyreke was there to compete and excelled in the workouts. AND HE DID NOT WORK OUT AGAINST SHOOTING GUARDS, HE WORKED OUT AGAINST POINT GUARDS. YET HE EXCELLED. AND THAT'S NOT ONCE BUT SEVERAL TIMES IN SEVERAL PLACES.

He will play PG and I hope the trade Martin talk should stop already.

I just don't get how some people are overreacting to the Evans pick. He may not be as good as a passer as Rubio but being a great passer will not a necessity for a PG if your coach does not install a system that utilizes this skill.

I mean we just got a new coaching staff, and we are still about to see how Westphal will run this team. He and Petrie were there watching each hyped PG work out. They saw the potential of each and Petrie even went to Europe to personally watch Rubio. If Petrie picked Evans at #4 even without scouting him, then that total BS. But Tyreke was there to compete and excelled in the workouts. AND HE DID NOT WORK OUT AGAINST SHOOTING GUARDS, HE WORKED OUT AGAINST POINT GUARDS. YET HE EXCELLED. AND THAT'S NOT ONCE BUT SEVERAL TIMES IN SEVERAL PLACES.

So it's to the credit of a 6'5 220 player that he dominated guys 3-5 inches shorter and/or 20-40 lighter 1-on-1? I would be more impressed if he did it against guys his size. Of course he would be a mismatch against most PG's, but that doesn't mean teams are necessarily going to be sticking their PG on him defensively as oppose to the lighter quicker Kevin Martin. Also, 1-on-1 workouts mean the least when it comes to PG's because ideally you don't want an iso 1-on-1 player at the PG unless they're a Kobe, McGrady, Iverson, Arenas type scorer, and even then it's tough to have a guy dominate the ball like that.

As far as whether Rubio would fit into Westphal's system, that's hard to say but he did run an offense that had Kevin Johnson in it, who was routinely a 10+ apg guy.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

See, you don't get it. They want a soft Euro to complement the rest of the soft team. It's a matter of principle - at least let us be consistent and maintain our softness. That is, after all, who we are. And they really like guys who bounce balls off their feet and who do wrap around passes to themselves when there is no need to do so. They've been in the dark so long that they need a few laughs to get them up and going, and Jason Williams II would be good for that. All that defense stuff and rebounding, that's boring. And the Rubio kid has a nice smile - don't you feel it? He would have made everything better, but now?....we'll just have to suffer through a guy who can finish at the basket, plays D, rebounds, and yeah, he makes some passes, but he just doesn't shine...

See, you don't get it. They want a soft Euro to complement the rest of the soft team. It's a matter of principle - at least let us be consistent and maintain our softness. That is, after all, who we are. And they really like guys who bounce balls off their feet and who do wrap around passes to themselves when there is no need to do so. They've been in the dark so long that they need a few laughs to get them up and going, and Jason Williams II would be good for that. All that defense stuff and rebounding, that's boring. And the Rubio kid has a nice smile - don't you feel it? He would have made everything better, but now?....we'll just have to suffer through a guy who can finish at the basket, plays D, rebounds, and yeah, he makes some passes, but he just doesn't shine...
You obviously have no argument if you have to senselessly bash Rubio and insult the intelligence of many hear in order to sell Evans.

Last edited:
Let's see - our best player is a slashing shooter type who can't create his own shot. Our young front court is active and can run the floor but they don't have go to moves to get a bucket in the post yet. Rubio would have been the perfect distributor for those guys.

Defense - I wanted a guy like Thabeet, perhaps Chandler as our 3rd big to anchor the defense and look to sign or trade for a SF that could guard the opposing wing.

You might entertain the possibility that people see the game differently than you do instead of being a sarcastic $^%^*. I couldn't care less about the kid's smile.

Last edited:
So it's to the credit of a 6'5 220 player that he dominated guys 3-5 inches shorter and/or 20-40 lighter 1-on-1? I would be more impressed if he did it against guys his size. Of course he would be a mismatch against most PG's, but that doesn't mean teams are necessarily going to be sticking their PG on him defensively as oppose to the lighter quicker Kevin Martin. Also, 1-on-1 workouts mean the least when it comes to PG's because ideally you don't want an iso 1-on-1 player at the PG unless they're a Kobe, McGrady, Iverson, Arenas type scorer, and even then it's tough to have a guy dominate the ball like that.
The workouts done were not purely 1-on-1...Please review the workout videos again.

And Kevin is not that dumb to not be able to exploit those smaller guys if they switched those guys to him instead of Tyreke. And IF EVER he can't see that that's where the coaching comes in. That's a better problem than having a lanky or small PG to pair with Kevin. Tyreke can ran an offense against any of the PG in this draft. And he can easily overpower all of the PGs in this draft, and that's the reason I have accepted Petrie's pick.

As for Rubio, although still unconfirmed but his camp are sending info that he might stay in Spain for a year or 2. And I admire Petrie for playing it safe and skipping him. We once got a draft rights to Dejan Bodiroga. He was once considered one of the best basketball player in the world that did not play in the NBA. And Rubio's buyout will not be solved immediately and normally it doesn't get solved immediately, he might training camp, or miss this season or maybe the NBA in case he pulls a Tiago Splitter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We'll try him at the point, if its not working, we'll shift him to SG and move Kevin. Doesn't seem that hard for me, nor am I going to shed any tears as long as he is legit at one position or ther other.

Seems likely to me that he and Kevin are probably not an optimal mix anyway, except on defense where he can cover for Kevin and take the tougher matchup. But offensively there is no way Evans is enough of a pure point to operate with an off the ball guy with limited passing and ballhandling skills like Kevin. You might get 6-7 assists out of your backcourt, total, which is just not enough. If Evans if your PG it seems ideally you'd want a combo guard, or good passing guard, as your SG as well so the two of them together could create enough.

Last edited:
The workouts done were not purely 1-on-1...Please review the workout videos again.

And Kevin is not that dumb to not be able to exploit those smaller guys if they switched those guys to him instead of Tyreke. And IF EVER he can't see that that's where the coaching comes in. That's a better problem than having a lanky or small PG to pair with Kevin. Tyreke can ran an offense against any of the PG in this draft. And he can easily overpower all of the PGs in this draft, and that's the reason I have accepted Petrie's pick.

As for Rubio, although still unconfirmed but his camp are sending info that he might stay in Spain for a year or 2. And I admire Petrie for playing it safe and skipping him. We once got a draft rights to Dejan Bodiroga. He was once considered one of the best basketball player in the world that did not play in the NBA. And Rubio's buyout will not be solved immediately and normally it doesn't get solved immediately, he might training camp, or miss this season or maybe the NBA in case he pulls a Tiago Splitter.
We're talking about Evans here and I'm just saying I could see teams putting the weaker guard on Martin.

I don't really think 3-on-3's are that much more telling from what I've seen. I really don't think these workouts show that much and I hope that wasn't a big part in the Kings' decision.

All indications are that the reason Rubio's camp is saying that is because 5 is less money than 2-4, Minny probably isn't his preference location wise, and they also drafted Jonny Flynn. It was obvious he really wanted to go to Sacramento and all the news reports were saying his buyout situation is very nearly resolved.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I really like evans, but I would rather see him develop as a sg, which I think is his more natural position. Yes he can penetrate and set up others, but he can also get off his own shot. I would like to get another good pg in here, maybe trade Kevin for one, and move Evans over to sg.

I think a sg with Evans dimensions, and ability to handle the ball and set up others is a great combination. Right now we have Kevin who isn't a great ballhandler, and can't create for others. I think Evans could end up being an better offensive version of Doug Christie, given his length on defense and playmaking ability on offense.

The best sg's in the nba can create for themselves, and for others. I think Evans has that potential and would be great with another playmaking pg. So if Evans is our guy going forward, I say trade Kevin for a very good pg and move Evans to the 2.

We'll try him at the point, if its not working, we'll shift him to SG and move Kevin. Doesn't seem that hard for me, nor am I going to shed any tears as long as he is legit at one position or ther other.

Seems likely to me that he and Kevin are probably not an optimal mix anyway, except on defense where he can cover for Kevin and take the tougher matchup. But offensively there is no way Evans is enough of a pure point to operate with an off the ball guy with limited passing and ballhandling skills like Kevin. You might get 6-7 assists out of your backcourt, total, which is just not enough. If Evans if your PG it seems ideally you'd want a combo guard, or good passing guard, as your SG as well so the two of them together could create enough.
Co-sign.

I personally don't think he's a long term point, but right now that's not a problem. Let's just see how he does at the point, and if it works, great. If not, if he's a talented scorer and has a more diverse game then Kevin then the FO can work on a trade.

I think Evans is effective one way and that's with the ball in his hands. I don't think whether you call him a SG or a PG is really going to change how he plays, who he plays with in the backcourt will be the difference.

I think Evans is effective one way and that's with the ball in his hands. I don't think whether you call him a SG or a PG is really going to change how he plays, who he plays with in the backcourt will be the difference.
Most likely, but I think it's also important to keep in mind that he's only 19 and we've only seen him in one particular style. He WAS Memphis' offense, and he never played a second off the ball. Who knows, he might be a great slasher and/or a competent spot up shooter. It's tough to tell because we've never seen him in any other situation.

Co-sign.

I personally don't think he's a long term point, but right now that's not a problem. Let's just see how he does at the point, and if it works, great. If not, if he's a talented scorer and has a more diverse game then Kevin then the FO can work on a trade.
Ditto. It's the same thing people were saying about Griffin before the lotto. Take him because he's BPA, see if he can mesh with JT/Hawes, and if not trade one. But at the position the Kings are in you just need to accumulate the most talent possible and make it work later. I think the Evans pick reflects that.

I think, even though he has a nice ball handling skills, he will end up as a SG in this league. He doesn't have enough vision and creativity to become a PG IMO.

As a SG, I think he will be downgrade version of D-Wade or upgrade version of John Salmons. Either one he becomes will be a terrific for Kings.

That means Kevin Martin out of Sactown..
I think he creates the most positive mis-match at the Point spot. And I think he'll see the bulk of his minutes at the 1.

I saw the Christie comparison and kind of agree with that.. Christie did play the point in Toronto for a year and it didn't work out, so he was moved to the 2 and did excel there when he was able to create for others but didn't have to pattern his whole game after that.

IMO I think Christie is a LOT better of a playmaker than Evans is. So I see Evans at SG. I just hope if/when we do trade Martin that it's for someone that isn't 20 years old. Let's get some leadership in here.