SL Kings vs. Lakers Game Thread

Jimmer has become painful to watch.

TRobb is playing at the top of the key and I don't know why. He is not adjusting to size and is offering no resistance at the rim on defense.

Quick first half notes:

- Akognon is a good guard. Superior to Jimmer in terms of ball handling and passing and everything so far.

- T-Rob is not being used in the post at all. We don't really have anyone working the post except maybe Darnell Jackson for the few minutes he's out there. Even Rick Fox and C-Webb said they see some SF in Robinson. Maybe they are right... (I was denying it yesterday)

- Jimmer bringing the ball up court reminds me of that dude in Dante's inferno who's forever trying to push a stone up the mountain. Just WAY too difficult for him.

- Hassan Whiteside might be banged up, but the fact is he is a complete non-factor.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We haven't gone to trob in the post once, he's played exclusively on the outside.
Must be the plan. I suppose. We sure don't have any defense. Wish Whiteside could play. I'm not used to SL but this is not interesting like two years ago. I will try to lower my expectations.

And now they interview Gavin. Wish this family had a life but that's a whole other subject.

I'll add that this is a painful game to watch. I don't know what is being achieved. Seems like TRob should be doing what he WILL be doing but maybe he is and they have decided he is a SF/PG. Groan. I'm just confused but then this is SL. I knew going into the season that TRob had very little of a post up game and with Cuz, we don't need him to have that game. The problem is that he isn't a defensive presence and I'm not sure what he is.

Last edited:
Jimmer looks like he hates basketball right now, it's like learning to drive, them first few lessons where you stall 10 times and there's a big queue behind you and you're stressed out of your mind. Thats what i see right now with him a Learner driver.

He must see that trap in his sleep.

you know just once I would like to see TRob even put up his hands to stop a penetrator inside. Its strange behavior, He clearly sees the guy, but its not just that he is not trying to block the shot, its hands at his side not even a twitch.
Hands are not going up on defense and he doesn't get big on rebounds or block out much. Those are really just fundamentals I would think he knows by now. Strange to not see them.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Hands are not going up on defense and he doesn't get big on rebounds or block out much. Those are really just fundamentals I would think he knows by now. Strange to not see them.
What's strange is seeing it all year at Kansas, and right now, nothing in the summer league. It's one thing to maybe be slightly undersized, but TRob is playing smaller than he actually is. The strangest thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is he looks more comfortable on the perimeter, on both ends.

What's strange is seeing it all year at Kansas, and right now, nothing in the summer league. It's one thing to maybe be slightly undersized, but TRob is playing smaller than he actually is. The strangest thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is he looks more comfortable on the perimeter, on both ends.
Maybe he is wearing himself out on the offensive end. He seems to be involved in almost every play whether it is taking shots or running the offense. I would like to know if we whispered in his ear that he would be playing SF for us. After all he was very adamant in interviews about saying we would be seeing a lot of stuff that we didn't see in his college game.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Maybe he is wearing himself out on the offensive end. He seems to be involved in almost every play whether it is taking shots or running the offense. I would like to know if we whispered in his ear that he would be playing SF for us. After all he was very adamant in interviews about saying we would be seeing a lot of stuff that we didn't see in his college game.
I don't think he tires out. That's part of what he brings to the floor.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
TRob better keep up the free throw efficiency because he draws fouls. A lot!! Nice to see.

Edit: note the note above my note.

Nice to see him make the hook too
Its a shame really he doesn't need anything else to be good in the NBA he has the length with that hook to shoot over anyone. He has a face up bank shot out to 14 feet he can hit anytime. He can block jump has the body and run when he wants too. He just need to put in the effort.

/shaking my head

Still think he could make it if we give him 10 minutes a night till he figures it out.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm coming around to the idea of plugging TRob in at SF, and telling him just to concentrate on defense and attacking the rim occasionally. Let him work on his jumper, but he has the handle to get his jumper one on one it seems, just needs some time to work on it. But to simplify the game for him and just have him concentrate on being a defensive SF? We might have something here. Then he can play some backup PF over Chuck.

Funny that this Akognon guy is better than Jimmer in every aspect of the game. Thanks for drafting someone just to try to sell jerseys Maloofs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
TRob looked good! I was also impressed with Akognon. Not quite so disappointed with Jimmer and now totally unimpressed with Whiteside...

Best line of the night was when Fox complained he was going to have to walk back to the hotel cause he lost the bet and the response was that it would be okay because Doug Christie was waiting outside to give him a ride. LOL!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
that guy's blocked t-rob at least three times, two of which were vicious.
One of the issues in college with TRob was some probelms dealing with defensive length. Its a little disconcerting to see those problems again here in summer league, because in a couple of months the players are about to get a lot bigger and more athletic.

here's the thing about the idea of using him as a Gerald Wallace wannabe -- Gerald was far FAR more disruptive as a defender. He was nearly a 2 block 2 steal guy. TRob doesn't seem to think that way.

Last edited: