Should Vlade set his sights on Kelly Oubre?

Should we target Kelly Oubre for SF?

• Total voters
A great win. So many mistakes down the stretch but these guys have heart, grit and willingness to play team ball.

Off topic a bit but am I the only one who thinks that Kelly Oubre Jr. just looks like a tailor made SF for this Kings team. Would fit like a glove with this team.
They need to back up the brink truck for him. That’s the only way you’ll get the Wizards not to match. That and re-sign WCS and that would be a fantastic offseason.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A great win. So many mistakes down the stretch but these guys have heart, grit and willingness to play team ball.

Off topic a bit but am I the only one who thinks that Kelly Oubre Jr. just looks like a tailor made SF for this Kings team. Would fit like a glove with this team.
Grunfeld is one of the worst GMs in the league and one of the longest tenured so maybe Vlade and co. could try to sway a trade and take him because they are paying almost 300 million to three players and they have one of the highest salaries in the league. the fact that he's had Wall & Beal all these years and can't build a contender around them is a disgrace and a waste of their talent -_-

well, he is an RFA next year. we got mula. if Kings continue playing well and look like an up and coming team by season's end, that might be appealing to a young player like that.

Grunfeld is one of the worst GMs in the league and one of the longest tenured so maybe Vlade and co. could try to sway a trade and take him because they are paying almost 300 million to three players and they have one of the highest salaries in the league. the fact that he's had Wall & Beal all these years and can't build a contender around them is a disgrace and a waste of their talent -_-
or even snatch him next year as RFA given that wiz are high on salary

There he is standing next to Justin Jackson back row. Fox is bottom left. De'Aaron + Marvin + Kelly = Left-handed success. Get it done Vlade!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They need to back up the brink truck for him. That’s the only way you’ll get the Wizards not to match. That and re-sign WCS and that would be a fantastic offseason.
The offer to Porter that was matched by the Wizards was the first part of a diabolical scheme by Vlade. Oubre was the real target all along. Vlade just wanted to max out the Wizards so they couldn't match his upcoming offer for Oubre.

there will be some good options in Free Agency; Oubre, Klay & Middleton
I'm liking Oubre out of the 3. The age factor, the unknown, untapped potential, can grow right along with our youth. I heard someone here say it will be hard to pry Middleton from the Bucks. Unless he's not happy there that makes sense to me, he's a big part of their success and they let Parker go this year. I was trying to get a better read on Klay as a fit here, so far I'm not feeling it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wizard have major chemistry issues. Something changed with John Wall. I feel like the playoff exits turned him into a single minded player that backfired on team cohesion. He's all bulked up now and trying to be some other type of player. He was a guy that got others involved and flew up and down the court. He's a bit too Westbrook-like now.

Porter or Oubre will be available.

My read on both:

Porter- Good all around wing who can even play a little smallball 4. Was a good defender and shooter, but seems effected by the chemistry issues. Also in the Scott Brooks doghouse. I find it odd that he got picked out by the team for effort issues when plenty of guys on that team don't play defense or are mentally checked out. Austin Rivers tried hard tonight infront of his family, but he was terrible on defense versus the Kings. Jeff Green and Marcus Morris were talking trash. Someone at the game said they were daring Belly to shoot? So he shot and buried them. There's something about that whole attitude that has infected the team. All talk, no walk, and plenty of dumb. Porter may be hard to judge until he gets out of the situation, as he had improved play every year before this season.

Something that stuck out to me was Porter and Wall played good defense on a Kings drive. Got the shot block and Porter went hard to get the loose ball, but his feet got tangled up and he was called for traveling. This got him pulled from the game. I couldn't understand the logic.

Oubre- His threes are falling. He's athletic and he can score. The worry is what he offers on the nights his shot is off. I am unsure about his defense or his defensive awareness. I think he's taking advantage of the situation and a contract year to score, but will he be as successful elsewhere? He's aggressive right now. He was 2-12 tonight and didn't have much impact.

edit: Other worry with Oubre is his insanely low assist numbers. Again, I like his talent, but he's getting up more shots because everything else is so ****ed up on the Wiz.

Last edited:
People concern his max contract at 26m a year with 2 years left. While it looks bad, last year is a player option. If wizard wants to trade him which I think they will because of luxury tax and resigning Oubre, the Kings should jump on it.

I'm unsure about Oubre and his price tag. He's very young, turning 23 in Dec, but can he reach his potential? Or is this another Terrence Ross situation?

Oubre is a SF, but he's more on the slender end. He's only 205lbs and it doesn't look like he's added weight since his rookie year. He still seems more suited to guard SGs and smaller wings in general. He needs to be on weight if he wants to be a starting SF, but he's got the edge to be a good defender. His question mark is on his shooting. It's only been a 6 game sample size, so I'm going to take his 3pt% with a bunch of salt. If you look at his percentage over his first 3 years, it's been: 31.6>28.7>34.1. He'll need to improve his shooting consistencies.

At the end of the day, it comes down to $$$$. If we want to spend big money, I think we need to stop looking at these unproven young players. I was perfectly fine with even maxing Zach LaVine or Aaron Gordon because they've actually showed production. You're not betting on the "what ifs" with those guys. Someone like Kelly Oubre? Yeah.. you kinda are unless he really turns it around this year.

There is no way I would pay him over $15m. I'd prefer $10m and under. I think teams have also learned from idiotically overpaying for potential... or at least I'd hope so.

I'm unsure about Oubre and his price tag. He's very young, turning 23 in Dec, but can he reach his potential? Or is this another Terrence Ross situation?

Oubre is a SF, but he's more on the slender end. He's only 205lbs and it doesn't look like he's added weight since his rookie year. He still seems more suited to guard SGs and smaller wings in general. He needs to be on weight if he wants to be a starting SF, but he's got the edge to be a good defender. His question mark is on his shooting. It's only been a 6 game sample size, so I'm going to take his 3pt% with a bunch of salt. If you look at his percentage over his first 3 years, it's been: 31.6>28.7>34.1. He'll need to improve his shooting consistencies.

At the end of the day, it comes down to $$$$. If we want to spend big money, I think we need to stop looking at these unproven young players. I was perfectly fine with even maxing Zach LaVine or Aaron Gordon because they've actually showed production. You're not betting on the "what ifs" with those guys. Someone like Kelly Oubre? Yeah.. you kinda are unless he really turns it around this year.

There is no way I would pay him over $15m. I'd prefer $10m and under. I think teams have also learned from idiotically overpaying for potential... or at least I'd hope so.
I appreciate where your coming from, he's young, not a sure thing yet.

I kind of like that about him, and he looks like he can add strength and weight if needed easily to his frame. His wing span is 7'2" and he's fast with mad hops. It's a gamble sure, but as of today I'd take that gamble.

A breakdown of several issues with the Wiz in that game against the Kings. This video won't make you like Oubre more, but it will detail how often Wall and Morris needlessly switch or don't pick up guys in transition and how often Oubre is lost on defense. Lack of passing on offense upsets people, as well as lack of real communication and the Wiz sort of jog back on defense all the time. Porter is guilty of this, but he isn't a part of the major problems shown here.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wizard have major chemistry issues. Something changed with John Wall. I feel like the playoff exits turned him into a single minded player that backfired on team cohesion. He's all bulked up now and trying to be some other type of player. He was a guy that got others involved and flew up and down the court. He's a bit too Westbrook-like now.

Porter or Oubre will be available.

My read on both:

Porter- Good all around wing who can even play a little smallball 4. Was a good defender and shooter, but seems effected by the chemistry issues. Also in the Scott Brooks doghouse. I find it odd that he got picked out by the team for effort issues when plenty of guys on that team don't play defense or are mentally checked out. Austin Rivers tried hard tonight infront of his family, but he was terrible on defense versus the Kings. Jeff Green and Marcus Morris were talking trash. Someone at the game said they were daring Belly to shoot? So he shot and buried them. There's something about that whole attitude that has infected the team. All talk, no walk, and plenty of dumb. Porter may be hard to judge until he gets out of the situation, as he had improved play every year before this season.

Something that stuck out to me was Porter and Wall played good defense on a Kings drive. Got the shot block and Porter went hard to get the loose ball, but his feet got tangled up and he was called for traveling. This got him pulled from the game. I couldn't understand the logic.

Oubre- His threes are falling. He's athletic and he can score. The worry is what he offers on the nights his shot is off. I am unsure about his defense or his defensive awareness. I think he's taking advantage of the situation and a contract year to score, but will he be as successful elsewhere? He's aggressive right now. He was 2-12 tonight and didn't have much impact.

edit: Other worry with Oubre is his insanely low assist numbers. Again, I like his talent, but he's getting up more shots because everything else is so ****ed up on the Wiz.
Just my opinion, but I really believe Otto Porter has All Star talent. He just hasn't found the right home yet. Wall is smothering that team and Porter is a major casualty. If Porter was on the Kings, with the Kings' unselfish attitude, with unselfish Fox as the point guard, Porter would be handling the ball more and making great passes as well as being involved in every other aspect on the floor.

Is Oubre a starting SF or in other words what we want in our SF? Seems to me he is a gunner who doesn't play much defense. Also, from reading on wiz fan board his IQ is dumpster levels. Is he who we want to commit to? Not so sure

Just my opinion, but I really believe Otto Porter has All Star talent. He just hasn't found the right home yet. Wall is smothering that team and Porter is a major casualty. If Porter was on the Kings, with the Kings' unselfish attitude, with unselfish Fox as the point guard, Porter would be handling the ball more and making great passes as well as being involved in every other aspect on the floor.
2017-18 per 36 numbers for Porter when Wall is/isn't playing:
1540852626404.png

2017-18 Team Performance with Porter & Wall on/off the court:
1540852752027.png

2017-18 On/Off
Wall = +5.3
Porter = +11.2

2017-18 RPM
Wall = +1.17
Porter = +4.96

2017-18 RAPM
Wall = +1.00
Porter = +4.27

Is Oubre a starting SF or in other words what we want in our SF? Seems to me he is a gunner who doesn't play much defense. Also, from reading on wiz fan board his IQ is dumpster levels. Is he who we want to commit to? Not so sure
This would be the only thing stopping me from signing him it's something i have also noticed.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
2017-18 per 36 numbers for Porter when Wall is/isn't playing:
View attachment 8391

2017-18 Team Performance with Porter & Wall on/off the court:
View attachment 8392

2017-18 On/Off
Wall = +5.3
Porter = +11.2

2017-18 RPM
Wall = +1.17
Porter = +4.96

2017-18 RAPM
Wall = +1.00
Porter = +4.27
So if I'm reading this right, the stats show that Porter's production goes up in assist and points with Wall off the floor. But the Net Rating for the team goes up with both on the floor? So Wall/Porter is still a net positive for the team (at least that's what this net rating says). We just don't know how much more (or less) it would be with a Fox/Porter combo for the Kings. Right? Wrong?

So if I'm reading this right, the stats show that Porter's production goes up in assist and points with Wall off the floor. But the Net Rating for the team goes up with both on the floor? So Wall/Porter is still a net positive for the team (at least that's what this net rating says). We just don't know how much more (or less) it would be with a Fox/Porter combo for the Kings. Right? Wrong?
It's important to note that his points go up without his shooting efficiency dropping that much and his assists go up without his turnovers going up. That tells me he can do more than what he's currently asked to do.

The net rating shows the best combo is when both are on the floor. However, when Wall is off & Porter is on, the team is still positive. When Porter is off & Wall is on, the team is a negative. Just another indication that Porter really helps his team win whereas Wall is probably more flash and less substance.