Should Kings go for Josh Jackson?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd imagine the odd man out of Phoenix would be Josh Jackson and they retain Oubre. I'd love him on the Kings if Barnes wasn't get paid so much.

Yeah, I agree with you. Now if they want to trade him for Mason and a 2nd rd pick, why not take a shot at him. But I'm not giving up anything of value for him.
I might even upgrade a trade to Yogi and 2 2nd Rd picks (Keep the 47th pick)

Use 47th pick for backup PG

FA get new Center (Vucevic)

Fox,47th Pick(Shamorie Ponds?),Mason
Buddy, Bogie
Barnes,Jackson,Brewer
Bagley,Bjelly,Caleb
Vucevic,Giles

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Here's my general question to the board. Are the Kings stable enough, high character enough, mature enough to take a shot at a kid like Jackson?

My view has been that it's very important to have high character individuals on your team in the early stage of it's development. That's why I thought Cousins was a poor pick for an unstable, young team. But if you really feel like the core character has grown into strong stuff, at some point you can take a chance on a guy with somewhat of a bad reputation. Are we there yet? Should this team ever take a chance on a guy like Jackson?

Here's my general question to the board. Are the Kings stable enough, high character enough, mature enough to take a shot at a kid like Jackson?

My view has been that it's very important to have high character individuals on your team in the early stage of it's development. That's why I thought Cousins was a poor pick for an unstable, young team. But if you really feel like the core character has grown into strong stuff, at some point you can take a chance on a guy with somewhat of a bad reputation. Are we there yet? Should this team ever take a chance on a guy like Jackson?
No.

He had issues back when he was drafted in 2017:

Out of all the top prospects in this class, Jackson is the only one to have any legal issues. He was charged with criminal damage to property of less than $1,000, a misdemeanor, for his role in damaging a car outside of a bar in Lawrence, Kansas. An affidavit released in March provided details of the incident, including the allegation that Jackson threatened to beat the woman whose car he damaged.

From ESPN:
The incident in December began inside the bar when Calvert threw a drink at her ex-boyfriend, Lagerald Vick, another Kansas player. She said she was upset because Vick attended the party with his new girlfriend.
Calver[t] told police Jackson followed her to her car and "was yelling for her to get out of the car and that he would beat her ass," the affidavit says.
The affidavit said the bumper, grille, fender, windshield, left tail lamp assembly and driver's side front door were all damaged, with a total repair cost of about $3,150. Witnesses reported Jackson only damaging the door and tail light, with an estimated damage of $1,127, and District Attorney Charles Branson said Jackson was not charged with felony criminal damage because it couldn't be proved that the player caused all the damage.​
Jackson issued an apology after the incident, offering to pay for any damage he may have caused.
He was also suspended for Kansas’s Big 12 Tournament opener because of a hit-and-run with a parked car in February. Kansas would lose that game to TCU.

Also the big question is how does Suns perceive Josh's trade value:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/05/14/if-phoenix-suns-trade-josh-jackson-whats-his-value/
Even after these recent failures Jackson still has some trade value because of his high draft position and flashes on the court. The two best recent comparisons to look at to find Jackson’s trade value are Markelle Fultz and D’Angelo Russell.

Markelle had arguably performed worse than Jackson when on the court but had major concerns whether he would ever be healthy. Even under these conditions Fultz was still able to net Philadelphia a mid-first round pick from the Thunder, early second round pick from Cleveland and Jonathon Simmons.

In Los Angeles De’Angelo had a completely different set of off the court issues for the Lakers that admittedly are less serious than Jackson’s but still caused hesitation. Getting rid of Russell was able to relieve them of the terrible Timofey Mozgovcontract that still had 3 years remaining and still brought them back a late-first round pick along with Brook Lopez.

It would make sense for the return on Josh to be more in line with what Markelle fetched. The potential with Jackson is not quite what it is with Fultz especially since we have seen him play for two years, however Jackson’s contract is a bit more manageable for teams to acquire.

Based on this article even with Bad character Suns would want way more than Vlade should offer to get him

Also the big question is how does Suns perceive Josh's trade value:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/05/14/if-phoenix-suns-trade-josh-jackson-whats-his-value/
Even after these recent failures Jackson still has some trade value because of his high draft position and flashes on the court. The two best recent comparisons to look at to find Jackson’s trade value are Markelle Fultz and D’Angelo Russell.

Markelle had arguably performed worse than Jackson when on the court but had major concerns whether he would ever be healthy. Even under these conditions Fultz was still able to net Philadelphia a mid-first round pick from the Thunder, early second round pick from Cleveland and Jonathon Simmons.

In Los Angeles De’Angelo had a completely different set of off the court issues for the Lakers that admittedly are less serious than Jackson’s but still caused hesitation. Getting rid of Russell was able to relieve them of the terrible Timofey Mozgovcontract that still had 3 years remaining and still brought them back a late-first round pick along with Brook Lopez.

It would make sense for the return on Josh to be more in line with what Markelle fetched. The potential with Jackson is not quite what it is with Fultz especially since we have seen him play for two years, however Jackson’s contract is a bit more manageable for teams to acquire.

Based on this article even with Bad character Suns would want way more than Vlade should offer to get him
I don't see anyone trading a first rounder for Jackson. They might be able to get a player better than someone we would offer up but I can't see a first rounder after 2 bad years with an even worse sophomore year.

For 2nd rounders and a Mason type player, I'd trade for him in a second because he has potential. I just wouldn't bet any money on that potential coming to fruition.

The guy has had chronic issues with antisocial behavior, bad judgment, and legal jeopardy. The Kings have succeeded in building this culture because they bring in guys who fit it. No way Vlade brings in this cancer to fester in the locker room, and you probably noticed the ESPN article had absolutely no Sacramento Kings sources saying there was any interest...it was all speculative.

when you have, lets say few problematic players and not that good chemistry, one more player that is on a border can be a big problem.. but when you have what Kings now have, you can really risk with a player like Jackson.. of course for a small price..

I generally think Kings are perfect place for getting players back on track.. good chemistry, not so much pressure, some system that exists..

Hard pass. Always seemed like a low efficiency, kill ball movement type player. Bringing him into a bench role would be a nightmare for whoever coaches the team.

They're only going to get 2nd rounder(s) back for him if they're totally set on moving him. He's been in the running for the worst NBA player in the league the last 2 seasons and has yet to show any sort of signs that he'll be a rotation player moving forward, much less a core piece they thought they were getting with the #4 pick.

In theory though, he still has that physical archetype of a wing that every NBA team is looking for. If you can get him for a 2nd or 2, i'd take that chance

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They're only going to get 2nd rounder(s) back for him if they're totally set on moving him. He's been in the running for the worst NBA player in the league the last 2 seasons and has yet to show any sort of signs that he'll be a rotation player moving forward, much less a core piece they thought they were getting with the #4 pick.

In theory though, he still has that physical archetype of a wing that every NBA team is looking for. If you can get him for a 2nd or 2, i'd take that chance
Like pretty much every Kansas player in the 21st century not named Joel Embiid, he has all the tools but absolutely none of the skill necessary to put it all together into a viable NBA player.

Pass. Hard pass. Idea is good. Exextution is poor. He has a 90% chance of flameout after his rookie contract. I would rather go after DeMarcus than him, DMC never had any problems with the law....only the locker room and court.