SF Trades

Ridiculous. If we were going to trade Shump we should have offered him up to the Wizards initially for Oubre.

Shump > Ariza.

Houstons just trying to recreate the old guard with 3 & D wings

Shumpert seemed happy here and played well with the other guys on the team. He was also one of the only players who could defend.

All we did was mess up chemistry, while worsening the D and getting slightly better at shooting.

Would like someone smarter than me to explain the rationale. Both guys re expiring, play same position and shump is a better player, defender and leader on this team. Who gives a crap about a 2nd round pick. This isn’t the NFL, I literally out no value in 2nd nba picks

Burks is a better player, and it's a high 2nd rounder, so it's a marginal improvement. But I don't think it's the needle mover the team needs with LeBron getting healthy.
Everyone could see SF/ combo forward was a hole, and the team has a ton of 2nd rounders and no first.
Zbo and the other expirings are still here, so there's another day to make something happen.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
The second round pick is a throw-in. It's a little odd but I don't think we were going to re-sign Shumpert to a long-term contract anyway. My guess is there's something we don't know about off the court which necessitated the trade or they just think Burks is going to be a better contributor for the remainder of this season. I see us likely getting better shooting splits from Burks the rest of the season than we would from Shumpert but with the drawback that we lose one of our best defenders.

As a solitary move, the two players are comparable enough that I wonder why we felt the need to make a change. But like I said, there might also be something we don't know. Shumpert may have quietly requested a move for personal reasons, somebody in our front office may be particularly high on Burks, or another trade might be coming. I feel like Shumpert has been a positive influence in his time here but he's probably passed on everything he can already from a leadership point of view and it's not like we're stopping anyone defensively with him in the lineup anyway, so I suppose a little more offense doesn't hurt. <Shrug>

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The second round pick is a throw-in. It's a little odd but I don't think we were going to re-sign Shumpert to a long-term contract anyway. My guess is there's something we don't know about off the court which necessitated the trade or they just think Burks is going to be a better contributor for the remainder of this season. I see us likely getting better shooting splits from Burks the rest of the season than we would from Shumpert but with the drawback that we lose one of our best defenders.

As a solitary move, the two players are comparable enough that I wonder why we felt the need to make a change. But like I said, there might also be something we don't know. Shumpert may have quietly requested a move for personnel reasons, somebody in our front office may be particularly high on Burks, or another trade might be coming. I feel like Shumpert has been a positive influence in his time here but he's probably passed on everything he can already from a leadership point of view and it's not like we're stopping anyone defensively with him in the lineup anyway, so I suppose a little more offense doesn't hurt. <Shrug>
I think the lovechild drama really put Vlade off. Shump and his wife have denied it but still...

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I think the lovechild drama really put Vlade off. Shump and his wife have denied it but still...
I didn't really follow that story, just read a mention of it, but something like that wouldn't surprise me. If Vlade felt like he was creating a distraction or was losing focus and found an easy way to move him for a similar player, that's enough of a reason to make a trade. We have a young team and need all hands on deck to make the playoffs in the Western Conference. Probably can't afford distractions right now coming into the most important stretch of the season.

I don't think the shumpert drama thing was thatbig a deal.
If anything, after seeing how the team moved on from Tolliver and Temple, mentorship isn't something that needs to go on forever. Players move all the time, so Fox and the rest will get over it

I don’t know the details and how it may have related to any impact to the team, but let’s be honest, none of these guys are angels when it comes to this stuff. It would have to be pretty bad to move on from him over it imo. But who knows

Matthews is washed up guys. No reason to bring him aboard. He will sign with a legit contender somewhere because a lot of people thing he's valuable. But from what I've read, the guy is done.