SF Trades

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While I don't disagree, remember that Porter can also be considered a veteran player at this point since he's in his 6th season while Shumpert is in his 8th season. Look, Porter is a better player than Shumpert, and is taller and younger by three years than Shumpert. He's also a better 3pt shooter than Shump, and doesn't get shot happy like Shump does at times. If there's a complaint about Porter, its that the Wiz probably overpaid for him, but remember that at the time, there were other teams, including the Kings, giving Porter big offers, and the Wiz had to put up or shut up.
I'm kind of surprised to see you say this. For me, a veteran presence is about a LOT MORE than statistics. Shumpert is a positive influence on and off the court, stepping into the role Garrett Temple had been filling. He's also showing signs of being the protector - the guy who will step up and ensure our guards aren't bullied or abused. We have a definitive need for that kind of player and I don't see Porter being able to fill the bill.

Otto Porter's per36 min stats this month:
.579 TS% / .465 FG% / .460 3PT% / .810 FT% / 21.8 PPG / 7.2 RPG / 2.6 APG / 2.3 SPG / 0.8 BPG / 2.2 TOPG

That would be very nice to have at the SF spot.
He's starting to play like his old self... but do the Kings give up anything more than a salary dump? His contract is still pretty bad

Now Harrison Barnes being thrown out there. Via RealGM.

I’m assuming he’d be cheaper than Otto.
Porter is like 5x the player Barnes is.

I'd wager that Barnes would actually make the team worse. Doesn't play much defense or pass the ball. Has nearly the same rebounding rate as JJ right now. He puts a lot of points up on the board but without real good efficiency. I'd rather him not take shots away from our more efficient players like Buddy and Fox.

I am not sure the wizard is still interested in trading Porter now since they are still in playoff hunt and playing much better without Wall. I think they will only consider if we take Mahinmi or something like a 3 way trade with bull for Parker(Wiz gets under the tax while get something in return).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm kind of surprised to see you say this. For me, a veteran presence is about a LOT MORE than statistics. Shumpert is a positive influence on and off the court, stepping into the role Garrett Temple had been filling. He's also showing signs of being the protector - the guy who will step up and ensure our guards aren't bullied or abused. We have a definitive need for that kind of player and I don't see Porter being able to fill the bill.
Porter may not have the protector ability, but those kind of guys you can pick up in FA, or in another trade. Porter has much more ability than Shumpert. It really comes down to that. If you have a longer time frame you've got to go with Porter. One of the real negatives with Shumpert is he has some bad wheels, thus all the "load management," and is not the kind of guy you can count on in the longer term.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Here's Windhorst's direct quote: "I know the Kings would love to have Harrison Barnes, whether or not that can work out? I don't know."

Link to his podcast(not sure what time he talks about it): http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/12426375
I think this could be the Kings trying to make Washington motivated to deal Porter. Washington needs to know there are other opportunities out there for the Kings so that they will lower their price tag.

I am at the lowest possibility of a Porter trade now. Wash is somehow winning, Porter is playing better and Leonis said he'll never tank and I assume from the way he hands out contracts he doesn't give a crap about luxury tax. So, we really don't have any leverage if those things are true.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Porter is total team guy who sacrifices his game to defer to the two stars on the team. In fact, he's the most efficient scorer on the team. He's the best defender on the team, but he never complains. He's a blue collar kind of player, very similar to Shumpert. Believe me, I don't disregard what Shumpert brings, but it's not fair to assume that Porter can't be a positive influence as well. Even in college, Porter was known as a team first player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I am at the lowest possibility of a Porter trade now. Wash is somehow winning, Porter is playing better and Leonis said he'll never tank and I assume from the way he hands out contracts he doesn't give a crap about luxury tax. So, we really don't have any leverage if those things are true.
If the Wiz are at all interested in dealing Porter, number one, it probably won't happen until the deadline. They'll want to make sure they've turned over every stone before committing to a trade. What the owner says is of little importance right now. He's lobbying to get the best deal he can, so by saying what he's saying, he's hoping the King's etc. will sweeten the deal. By the same token, the rumor that the Kings are interested in Barnes could very well be the Kings throwing out a smoke screen to put pressure on the Wiz. Like hey, we have other options, and if you want cap relief, you don't have any other options other than us.

If the Wiz are at all interested in dealing Porter, number one, it probably won't happen until the deadline. They'll want to make sure they've turned over every stone before committing to a trade. What the owner says is of little importance right now. He's lobbying to get the best deal he can, so by saying what he's saying, he's hoping the King's etc. will sweeten the deal. By the same token, the rumor that the Kings are interested in Barnes could very well be the Kings throwing out a smoke screen to put pressure on the Wiz. Like hey, we have other options, and if you want cap relief, you don't have any other options other than us.
True, tons of smoke right now. But, this has been Leonis's MO. He's let Grunfield, arguably one of the worst GM's not named Isaiah Thomas, in league history, do whatever he pleases with basically a blank check book. I tried to quickly look up the Wizards revenue to no avail. I don't know how he cuts these checks, he's not "that" rich (in comparison to the big boys in the NBA)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I actually said prior to these new apparent deals that the Kings should have this exact strategy. Of course, if I'm thinking it and you're thinking it, it isn't exactly covert, but rather transparent.:) In any case, it's worth doing even if Washington thinks the Kings won't go for these other deals, they can never know for sure.

One thing that gives me some confidence Divac won't give away the store is that he and the rest of the organization were incredibly patient during the off-season with their FA acquisitions. In other words, they were very disciplined. I would expect that same discipline to continue in the future.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Porter is total team guy who sacrifices his game to defer to the two stars on the team. In fact, he's the most efficient scorer on the team. He's the best defender on the team, but he never complains. He's a blue collar kind of player, very similar to Shumpert. Believe me, I don't disregard what Shumpert brings, but it's not fair to assume that Porter can't be a positive influence as well. Even in college, Porter was known as a team first player.
You and I see eye to eye on Porter. Good defender, good rebounder, good passer, good shooter, good teammate. I don't see any downside whatsoever.

I think this could be the Kings trying to make Washington motivated to deal Porter. Washington needs to know there are other opportunities out there for the Kings so that they will lower their price tag.
Was about to type put the same thought

Washington risks us making another deal and then they are left high and dry. Gives us more leverage if vlade can align a plan B

The antiparion is killing me. Cant wait to see what moves the kings make. Really hope to see Porter in a kings Jersey soon with a deal I'm happy with

You and I see eye to eye on Porter. Good defender, good rebounder, good passer, good shooter, good teammate. I don't see any downside whatsoever.

I've always felt Porter is a bit overrated defensively. He's a smart defender but he gets beat off the dribble quite a bit. Defensively he reminds me a lot of Rudy Gay. Their size helps make up for the lack of consistency in keeping players in front of them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Leonsis came out and said he wants to make the Playoffs so any Porter trade rumors might as well be shut down for the rest of the season and re-visited in the offseason.