SF Trades

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've always felt Porter is a bit overrated defensively. He's a smart defender but he gets beat off the dribble quite a bit. Defensively he reminds me a lot of Rudy Gay. Their size helps make up for the lack of consistency in keeping players in front of them.
Fair enough, but I don't think he's a worse defender than Shumpert, who is a good defender. Shumpert has more quickness, Porter more length and not as much quickness. So Shump may be a better on ball defender and Porter a better help defender. Porter is certainly a better defensive rebounder, if you're factoring that into defense. I just don't know what SF you're going to get that's better. Like I've said before, you're not getting LBJ, Greek Freek, or Leonard, so who else are you going to get? He's the right age, he's been absolutely underutilized in my view in Washington. In Joerger's kind of offense his skills would shine, especially his passing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Leonsis came out and said he wants to make the Playoffs so any Porter trade rumors might as well be shut down for the rest of the season and re-visited in the offseason.
There's still two weeks to go until the trade deadline. The Wizards' record is 19-26 (.426) and 10th in the East. We'll see where they are at the trade deadline. Talk is cheap at this point.

P.S. It's February 4 and the Wizards record is 22-30 (.423) and 10th in the East. Nothing has changed. They are dead in the water.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The owner may also be trying to establish the Porter trade value as well.......I don’t believe it but this could and should be a tactic
Well, if the owner is being honest, then I question his intelligence. I think anyone with any basketball knowledge could look at the Wizards situation, and see the team isn't going to be competing for a championship anytime soon. There are at least 3 teams, probably 4, that are far better than the Wiz in the east, and if by some miracle they could actually get to the championship game, they'd probably go down four straight. At the moment, they're in salary cap hell. They're in the same situation the Clippers were in prior to parting ways with Griffin, Paul, and Jordan.

If the Wiz do nothing, they'll have 6 players under guaranteed contracts. Wall, Porter, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard, and Troy Brown. Those combined salaries add up to $116,766,930.00. The projected cap for next season is 109 mil. So they'll be almost 8 mil over the cap with 9 more roster spots to fill. They have 4 players that will become restricted free agents if qualifying offers are extended. Tomas Satoransky, Thomas Bryant, Sam Dekker, and Chasson Randle. If extended, that would add another $11,465,031.00 bringing the total salaries up to $128,331,961.00. The projected luxury tax for next year is $132,000,000.00. And that would leave the Wiz 3.8 mil under the luxury tax threshold with 5 more roster spots to fill.

There is no possible way that I can see for the Wiz to get under the luxury tax threshold without getting rid of a big salary, and it does them no good to take equal salary back in return, at least in the short term. Now the owner can say what he wants, but unless he's a total idiot, and can't see that his team is going nowhere, and loves to just throw money away, I don't believe him.

Now the owner can say what he wants, but unless he's a total idiot, and can't see that his team is going nowhere, and loves to just throw money away, I don't believe him.
The thing is, Ted Leonsis is an idiot. And he’s stubborn. And his GM is among the worst in the league. Together, they’re an intractable pair that refuse to ever cut their losses. I’ve been enthusiastic about the idea of the Kings trading for Otto Porter, but it was always going to boil down to whether or not Washington lost the s***load of games it would require to push Leonsis and Grunfeld into action on the trade front. They’ve got a losing record, but are still in shouting distance of the 8th seed in a weak Eastern Conference, so they’re not going to budge, especially since Porter and Beal have been playing well in the absence of Wall.

The thing is, Ted Leonsis is an idiot. And he’s stubborn. And his GM is among the worst in the league. Together, they’re an intractable pair that refuse to ever cut their losses. I’ve been enthusiastic about the idea of the Kings trading for Otto Porter, but it was always going to boil down to whether or not Washington lost the s***load of games it would require to push Leonsis and Grunfeld into action on the trade front. They’ve got a losing record, but are still in shouting distance of the 8th seed in a weak Eastern Conference, so they’re not going to budge, especially since Porter and Beal have been playing well in the absence of Wall.
Nailed it, on top of that I'm cooling off on this deal a bit. Every game day that passes reduces the potential playoff arriving impact Porter could deliver. If we lose a few games he may not be enough to bring us over the top, but every day JJ shows in a win it makes me question how much we need to swallow a huge contract on a guy who will be a role player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hey, you could be right. There are stupid people in the world that ignore the obvious. If making the playoffs is enough for him even though the Wiz have no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs, and it's going to cost him a boatload of money to accomplish that, then so be it. But I think the Clippers should be an example of how you can be in almost the same position, and for a lot less money, plus have the flexibility to improve through free agency.

The trade blogger at the Ringer - acknowledges Washington's stubbornness - but also states Porter is not untouchable.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/14/18181771/2019-nba-trade-deadline-tracker-live-blog-rumors

It is the trade I would like most. Porter is a better player than the Washington system suggests. His contract is large - but the length isn't disabling. All things mentioned before. But as the Kings form has dipped, Otto's form has jumped, and Washington has a few gimme wins between now and Feb 7 - the trade seems like it might be tougher than it should've been.

Just a rundown on who will be trying the rest of the season, since it impacts trades:

With Davis and Mirotic missing more games, the Pels might be the next team to fold on the season. Their situation is volatile in a way. One AD makes it clear he's gone then he becomes the biggest domino in everyone's scheme.

The Mavs aren't quitting but are probably too far out with too little talent. The TWolves have nothing better to do than try to win. The Lakers will hang around until Lebron returns and then make a choice.

I agree, If we are gonna use cap space/or enders at the deadline Porter is Our best deal, Best fit, biggest need-SF

But we will probably have to wait until the last day to see if wizards are gonna want to save the money or not

If not, then at last min, I think we end up with 6 month rental trades Like Enes or Lin , that might help us in the second half of the year
Either one could be a short term upgrade, and as long as we only have to give up a 2nd rd pick and other enders I am ok with that

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Just a rundown on who will be trying the rest of the season, since it impacts trades:

With Davis and Mirotic missing more games, the Pels might be the next team to fold on the season. Their situation is volatile in a way. One AD makes it clear he's gone then he becomes the biggest domino in everyone's scheme.

The Mavs aren't quitting but are probably too far out with too little talent. The TWolves have nothing better to do than try to win. The Lakers will hang around until Lebron returns and then make a choice.
The Pels started out the season just destroying the Kings and it looked like they were a top 4 team in the West and then shortly thereafter they just went down the tubes.

The Pels need Payton, Mirotic, Davis and JRue all healthy and those four have not been healthy since that first week of the season. They got by for a little while because Moore was shooting lights out, but that was an anomaly and they're struggling when they have to rely on Darius Miller or Randle to carry the load.

Unfortunately, the sad Oladipo injury opens up the east playoffs a bit more and that likely means the Wiz don't give up the season.

Utah is looking to deal Alec Burks next.

Give them a similar deal as what they just received for Rodney Hood.

Ben (expiring) and two future 2nd rounders.

The strange thing is Portland can't pay him more than an exemption next year. I'm guessing we just weren't interested, because we certainly could have made an offer in the offseason.

The strange thing is Portland can't pay him more than an exemption next year. I'm guessing we just weren't interested, because we certainly could have made an offer in the offseason.
We love the sit on your hands approach and wait for FA. It's far too cautionary and at some point we are going to need to break out of that. Trades are a key part of constructing any contending team especially for small markets where FA entitles you to bid for B and C grade starters at best, overpaying to secure services.

Obre or Hood and we are where we should be, The playoffs and rising fast with our youth.

Oubre strikes me as a guy who just needed to get out of Washington and try his hand elsewhere.

He's a long (6'7" - 7'2" wingspan), athletic forward. He's known as a pretty good defender too from what I've heard. I'd love to have him.