SF Trades

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He's twice the player JJ is at the moment. Solid defender, better assist man than Bogie as well. Cons are his contract is huge and goes through 2021 and he's not a real efficient scorer. Hornets would have to sweeten the deal IMO. He's still a valuable player but he's making like 25mil but is only worth 10mil or so at this point.
I like the idea of sweetening the deal with Bridges, as was mentioned above. ;)

Give up both WCS and Shumpert for Porter? That would be a massive overpay, both asset and salary wise.

We need to dictate the terms to Washington and I'm not including both WCS and Shumpert for Porter.

I may be willing to include Shumpert, since Porter would take most of his minutes anyways. But, I would keep WCS, instead of swapping him out in a Kanter trade. Especially with Turkey looking to arrest Kanter.

The Kings need more defense, not offense at this point, for a playoff push.

Give up both WCS and Shumpert for Porter? That would be a massive overpay, both asset and salary wise.

We need to dictate the terms to Washington and I'm not including both WCS and Shumpert for Porter.

I may be willing to include Shumpert, since Porter would take most of his minutes anyways. But, I would keep WCS, instead of swapping him out in a Kanter trade. Especially with Turkey looking to arrest Kanter.

The Kings need more defense, not offense at this point, for a playoff push.
To get something of value, you have to give something of value. Shump alone aint getting Porter. What do you suggest?

I mean, what are we holding on to Willie for? Do you want to resign him next year? Have his new salary along with Porters? I'm not sure that is reasonable.

I'm not worried about Kanter. If Turkey could have him extradited and arrested, they would have done it already. That's for show to intimidate him and affect his livelihood. So we can take politics off the table IMHO.

To get something of value, you have to give something of value. Shump alone aint getting Porter. What do you suggest?

I mean, what are we holding on to Willie for? Do you want to resign him next year? Have his new salary along with Porters? I'm not sure that is reasonable.

I'm not worried about Kanter. If Turkey could have him extradited and arrested, they would have done it already. That's for show to intimidate him and affect his livelihood. So we can take politics off the table IMHO.
I would definitely try to re-sign WCS.

We could include Shumpert and KK, plus they get under the Luxury Tax. KK could be their starting center. If need be, I could include a couple of 2nd round picks.

But no way would I trade our starting center and starting small forward for Porter. That is a massive overpay, especially since Porter is way overpaid.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

We could include Shumpert and KK, plus they get under the Luxury Tax. KK could be their starting center. If need be, I could include a couple of 2nd round picks.

But no way would I trade our starting center and starting small forward for Porter. That is a massive overpay, especially since Porter is way overpaid.
Be careful about throwing Shumpert out too quickly. We need a veteran presence, and Shump fills the bill completely. His stock has gone up in my book considerably.

I also wouldn't give up both wcs and shump for porter. One or the other plus a non starting ender to save washingtons payroll. Washington can't trade wall and Beal is on a more reasonable contact. They can't keep all 3, we shouldn't overpay to help them save payroll. We can trade wcs and keep shump for his veteran leadership, maybe move him to backup sg or sf depending on who we needed to lock down on Def. If we traded shump, keep wcs and see what he demands on the open market.

I agree Porter is overpaid. However, Porter is better than Shump. WCS is a starter today, but he will not be next season. Not for our team.

In order to get better, we're going to have to let go of someone the fans, and teammates, like. It happened with Jason Williams to get Bibby. That was painful because he was the face of that teams resurgence. But getting Bibby mad the team better.

I agree Porter is overpaid. However, Porter is better than Shump. WCS is a starter today, but he will not be next season. Not for our team.

In order to get better, we're going to have to let go of someone the fans, and teammates, like. It happened with Jason Williams to get Bibby. That was painful because he was the face of that teams resurgence. But getting Bibby mad the team better.
If we do this trade can we sign Vucevic next season for 15+mil? I would rather have Vuc over Porter even if both are the same price (would not sign Vuc for over 20mil).

Most teams that are in our position this season are looking at improving their roster and that usually means making a trade for a piece they are missing or needing to upgrade in the push to make the playoffs.

By our team trading away two starters will usually cause a disruption at least for a short period. But Porter or other pieces that may come available in the next few weeks just may be to tempting to pass up.

We need to improve and not go sideways or backwards just to make something happen.

As much as I've come to love Shumpert and others on this team if we were able to go get Otto Porter without giving up our core 5 I think we have to pull the trigger. I would be hesitant to give up Willie and Shump but would do it if we had to although i'd try everything to keep shump because of the leadership he brings. Porter is a good teammate and YOUNGER THAN BUDDY. :p Plus his contract expires before we have to pay Fox. Like @Livinthedream mentioned earlier the Bibby for J-Will trade wasn't very popular at the time as well as the Boogie trade but we all know how that turned out. As Kings fans we need to let our attachment to players go and think about whats best for the team.

Last edited:
i sorta like this:

Fox,Grant,Mason
Buddy, Bogi,Ben
Porter,JJ,Thomas
Giles,Beli,Skal
Bagley.Kanter

Lets put our Dream future 5 out there and start building chemistry
Grant & Bogie share PG, no more small guards, JJ is a very solid backup,Beli and Kanter provide Offense and rebound off bench
Yes, I know its a big change, but with 8 western teams competing for last two seeds lets start our future right now
Or we can always play Beli and Kanter and leave Bags and Giles on the bench until they are ready

Kingster

Hall of Famer
From what I heard, Porter is now coming off the bench for Washington. My pitch to the Wizards: So you think we should trade TWO of our STARTERS(?) for ONE of your OVERPAID bench guys?? Come on. Get real. You'll stay in mediocrity-hell forever if you don't get rid of the Porter overpay and you know it. Now, let's really start to talk....

All that said, I do like Porter as a starter on this team. We'll see who blinks first on this thing.

From what I heard, Porter is now coming off the bench for Washington. My pitch to the Wizards: So you think we should trade TWO of our STARTERS(?) for ONE of your OVERPAID bench guys?? Come on. Get real. You'll stay in mediocrity-hell forever if you don't get rid of the Porter overpay and you know it. Now, let's really start to talk....

All that said, I do like Porter as a starter on this team. We'll see who blinks first on this thing.
To be fair he was coming back from injury and if you check the box score he's been dropping 20+ a night lately. I do agree with your negotiation tactics though. I hope Vlade plays hardball and works a favorable deal for us.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
To be fair he was coming back from injury and if you check the box score he's been dropping 20+ a night lately. I do agree with your negotiation tactics though. I hope Vlade plays hardball and works a favorable deal for us.

There's nothing fair about negotiation. We'll see what happens with this thing. Vlade has wanted this guy for a long while now. I just wonder what his back-up plan is. If Washington knows Vlade could get another legit 3 elsewhere they'll be more likely to deal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Be careful about throwing Shumpert out too quickly. We need a veteran presence, and Shump fills the bill completely. His stock has gone up in my book considerably.
While I don't disagree, remember that Porter can also be considered a veteran player at this point since he's in his 6th season while Shumpert is in his 8th season. Look, Porter is a better player than Shumpert, and is taller and younger by three years than Shumpert. He's also a better 3pt shooter than Shump, and doesn't get shot happy like Shump does at times. If there's a complaint about Porter, its that the Wiz probably overpaid for him, but remember that at the time, there were other teams, including the Kings, giving Porter big offers, and the Wiz had to put up or shut up.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

To expand on what you stated, since Porter has returned from his injury, basically the last 6 games, and with the absence of Wall, he's taken on more of the scoring load. He's averaging 28.5 mpg - 17.1 ppg - 46.3% fgp - 46.0% 3pp - 6 rebounds a game - 2.0 steals per game - 1.8 assists a game. His overall shot attempts per game has gone up from around 9 to 10 attempts to closer to 14 attempts. Porter has always been a very efficient scorer, he just hasn't taken a lot of shots because of playing with two ball dominate players in Wall and Beal.

To expand on what you stated, since Porter has returned from his injury, basically the last 6 games, and with the absence of Wall, he's taken on more of the scoring load. He's averaging 28.5 mpg - 17.1 ppg - 46.3% fgp - 46.0% 3pp - 6 rebounds a game - 2.0 steals per game - 1.8 assists a game. His overall shot attempts per game has gone up from around 9 to 10 attempts to closer to 14 attempts. Porter has always been a very efficient scorer, he just hasn't taken a lot of shots because of playing with two ball dominate players in Wall and Beal.

And in Sac he'd go back to the 3rd wheel at best. So, have to weigh that in any potential trade discussions.

Do what you can to not include both WCS and Shump. Vlade's poise and negotiating will be on full display here.

End of the day do what you need to but if we can keep WCS and flip him for another asset then we are set.

They need Shump from a cultural perspective so Vlade should be selling the hell out of that if he is including him and ensuring he isnt overpaying