Season Opener Countdown Thread: D-Day

Vivek is big brother sheesh. I somehow got tix tomorrow and I just might agressively dance in front of this with a mask on!
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015...ings-owner-vivek-ranadive-horrible-robot-narc
From the sound of it (reading license plates, report of two stolen cars) it sure sounds like this thing would only be in the parking lots.

Still, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it definitely is creepy and invasive. But on the other hand, whenever we see incidents of post game violence (Brian Stow being beaten, the recent fight after the 49ers game etc, etc) the first questions are usually why there wasn't more security personnel and why there weren't video cameras to help catch the perpetrators.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
From the sound of it (reading license plates, report of two stolen cars) it sure sounds like this thing would only be in the parking lots.

Still, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it definitely is creepy and invasive. But on the other hand, whenever we see incidents of post game violence (Brian Stow being beaten, the recent fight after the 49ers game etc, etc) the first questions are usually why there wasn't more security personnel and why there weren't video cameras to help catch the perpetrators.
Its a fairly strait dichotomy, one slowly being won by one side.

I can create a nearly perfectly safe society for everybody to live in. Elect me emperor, and I will create a police state of your safety dreams. A cop on every corner, a drone in every sky, a camera above every door and on every street light. NOTHING will happen in my utopia that is not seen and dealt with. Crime as we know it will virtually cease. And all you have to do is give me your privacy and give me your freedom. Let me put a camera in your bedroom, and you can be sure to sleep tight safe in the knowledge that I am watching, everything. Always.

Or you favor freedom and privacy. Which also has the darkside that not all human being are trustworthy or mean well. The more freedom you get, the more the untrustworthy ones get. So is your freedom worth theirs?

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

In general, the biggest lie perpetrated on our ever dumbed down society is you have to give up privacy due to "fear" of safety. Ruling be fear is the oldest trick in the book.

Too bad Vivek doesn't want to put his mind to better use than creating a modern R2D2 who'll scope out "aggressive or furtive gestures". Someone should throw that thing in a dumpster. There goes playing grabass with my wife at Kings games. But at least Vivek will feel safer without that kind of furtive gesture.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

In general, the biggest lie perpetrated on our ever dumbed down society is you have to give up privacy due to "fear" of safety. Ruling be fear is the oldest trick in the book.

Too bad Vivek doesn't want to put his mind to better use than creating a modern R2D2 who'll scope out "aggressive or furtive gestures". Someone should throw that thing in a dumpster. There goes playing grabass with my wife at Kings games. But at least Vivek will feel safer without that kind of furtive gesture.
Too bad we can't hack the thing to remove Shaka ranadive from the games.

Damn poor V can't catch a break. He pokes his head out of the bunker for one little photo and smash smash smash suuuhhhMASH!

If this little robot patrols the parking lot it is fine with me - seems a bit clunky to be roaming the concourse tho

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Damn poor V can't catch a break. He pokes his head out of the bunker for one little photo and smash smash smash suuuhhhMASH!

If this little robot patrols the parking lot it is fine with me - seems a bit clunky to be roaming the concourse tho
With all the potholes and cracked asphalt in the parking lot, not sure how easily it will get around. There is not enough space in the concourse for the people, much less robots cruising around!

Three of them will roam the concourse apparently. I'm not offended at the surveillance part of it - after all it is private property so it isn't that Orwellian to me - not like having a whole city under video surveillance (that creeps me big time). Just an advanced camera system.

But... those three rainbow vacuum cleaners driving around are gonna get tripped over - it is a tight concourse when there is a sellout!

Hey, if Vivek plays around with robots, instead of the team, I think we have a net win for the fans.
Absolutely. Let him goof around with every techno "advantage" they can think of for the new arena. Leave the basketball to Vlade and George.

Personally I'd rather go to a game at the old original Arco Arena, vs having to "pass go" with the terminator

I checked the specs on the robot company website and it uses 6 infrared cameras that operate at 850 nm, which is the best IR wavelength to see your underwear through your clothing.

Make sure you wear good skivvies tonight everyone!
You know it's hard for me to get around. I wonder if one of these machines can carry my hotdog and beer down to my seat. Now that would be something practical. (Underwear or no underwear.)

Bricklayer

So I will pay 1,000 BrickCoins to anybody tonight who will intentionally hop in front of one of these things and start waving your arms and dancing around wildly until it freaks out. :p

P.S. or of course your spouse/parents/kids/significant other in case they really do come with an exterminate function

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The robot is on private property; this is nothing. There are probably thousands of private citizens in the Sacto area that would love to have this "robo-cop" police their private property. Personally, I like Dobermans better; they take a bite out the criminals.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
So I will pay 1,000 BrickCoins to anybody tonight who will intentionally hop in front of one of these things and start waving your arms and dancing around wildly until it freaks out. :p

P.S. or of course your spouse/parents/kids/significant other in case they really do come with an exterminate function
Someone should get video of one of these being TP'd in the concourse. Nothing damaging, just having a little fun. ;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The robot is on private property; this is nothing. There are probably thousands of private citizens in the Sacto area that would love to have this "robo-cop" police their private property. Personally, I like Dobermans better; they take a bite out the criminals.
I think that should be considered animal cruelty. How would you like to take a bite out of a criminal? :rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thomas Jefferson once said, and I paraphrase, "Anyone that is willing to give up a little freedom, for a little security, deserves neither".

Three of them will roam the concourse apparently. I'm not offended at the surveillance part of it - after all it is private property so it isn't that Orwellian to me - not like having a whole city under video surveillance (that creeps me big time). Just an advanced camera system.
You say that now. Wait until security comes up and confronts you because Vivek's new R2D2 caught you suspiciously picking a wedgie during a timeout.

Bricklayer

Thomas Jefferson once said, and I paraphrase, "Anyone that is willing to give up a little freedom, for a little security, deserves neither".
Hey, that was Ben Franklin. And as I went to Ben's school (Penn) I resent you trying to steal his quote and give it to that no-talent hack Jefferson.

P.S. actually its kind of a semi-misquote from the historical record, but it sounds cool and is very right, so why make a fuss?