Satellite customers, DirecTV and Dish Network..what do we do ?

And if it doesn't happen by the start of the season? NBALP is still cheaper than the hell we will pay for having to switch back to the single worst customer service company in America: Comcast.

I'm not paying for league Pass if the Kings games are blacked out. I don't care how good the customer service is. Unless they are coming to my house, bringing beer and a direct feed to the game, they aren't getting my money.

While neither DirecTV nor DISH Network has signed a deal to add Comcast SportsNet Chicago, representatives for the two major satellite operators said last week that they were still negotiating to pick up the programming.

Both DISH Network and DirecTV already carry Comcast's Washington, D.C.-Baltimore sports network; along with the cable operators competing with Comcast here, both are eyeing the Central Valley channel, too.

"We're interested in the channel and would like to invite a proposal on reasonable economic terms," said Kelley Baca, spokeswoman for DISH Network.

Said Bob Marsocci of DirecTV: "We look forward to the opportunity to sit down with Comcast and see if we can come to an agreement that we think is fair and reasonable."

Marsocci said it was "likely" that DirecTV would offer the Comcast channel, but added, "It really is premature for me to say whether we definitively will."

from todays sac bee article

I intend to talk to Comcast today, eyeball to eyeball, to minimize the BS-factor. I think Comcast may be cheaper than the DirecTV/NBALP combination. More to follow.

10:50 AM More Information.

Called Comcast at 1-800-266-2278. No direct contact possible.

I live in a house in the mountains which is not on their database, so they have to chase wires or something to determine whether I can be serviced by a Comcast cable. 10 days?

I currently have a DirecTV package that costs us $66 per month. Pay-per-view movies are extra at about $4/copy. We get East Coast/West Coast networks, History Channel, music channels, yada, yada, yada. NBA League Pass costs us an extra $160/year in four periodic payments. That means we pay about $80/month for all the Kings games possible, excluding some regional black-outs and other crimes against humanity.

An equivalent digital TV package with Comcast would cost about $56/month. No NBALP, but all the Kings games. They have a special "turn-coat" deal for dumping DirecTV. Comcast will reduce our monthly invoice by about $25 for 14 months. I believe that there is no charge for a rudimentary Comcast installation. They will not do attics. So, I will have to wire the hosue to avoid having obscene wires being strung around and through my house. Not a huge problem despite my large and clumsy body and a very hot, insulated, and tight attic space.

I am doing it. I will keep DirecTV until the Comcast is installed, perhaps in time for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I hope they can work things out. I would assume that DirectTV and Dish Network agree that to be contenders in the tv broadcast market, their content must include and exceed the cable alternative's programming offerings. I would assume, unless Comcast spikes the price, Dish Network and DirectTV will offer this network to their customers as well.

GoSACtown said:
While neither DirecTV nor DISH Network has signed a deal to add Comcast SportsNet Chicago, representatives for the two major satellite operators said last week that they were still negotiating to pick up the programming.

Both DISH Network and DirecTV already carry Comcast's Washington, D.C.-Baltimore sports network; along with the cable operators competing with Comcast here, both are eyeing the Central Valley channel, too.

"We're interested in the channel and would like to invite a proposal on reasonable economic terms," said Kelley Baca, spokeswoman for DISH Network.

Said Bob Marsocci of DirecTV: "We look forward to the opportunity to sit down with Comcast and see if we can come to an agreement that we think is fair and reasonable."

Marsocci said it was "likely" that DirecTV would offer the Comcast channel, but added, "It really is premature for me to say whether we definitively will."

from todays sac bee article

Why did they have to mention HDTV? It would have been so easy to ignore Comcast and wait on Direct TV. Then they had to promise to do HDTV Kings games. I'm a sucker for HDTV. Of course, you pay through the nose for that option. A $15 dollar upgrade to the digital package and another $5 for the Hi Definition.

I have HDTV service from Comcast and love it. 3 months ago I got their HD DVR as well. $9.95 a month includes HD DVR box and service. I subscribe to digital package so it doesn't make much difference to me (and here in Chicago, Comcast has all the locals in HD). So that makes ESPN HD, INHD1, INHD2, SHO-HD, HBO-HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD, Discovery HD, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS and WGN (all Cubs home games in HD) and October 1 we are getting Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD.

The only channel missing worth something is HDNET, but I wouldn't want to support Mark Cuban now anyway ;)

I asked the Comcast agent about the digital aspect of their package. She said that I would benefit from the package despite not having a digital television. There were some extra features that had nothing to do with actual digital programming. I don't know. The Kings games are part of their digital package, so that's that.

I actually doubt that Kings games will be part of their digital package. Local sports networks are usually included as a part of expanded basic package.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
qd, they have announced that it will be part of their expanded basic service. You do NOT need to pay extra each month to rent their digital box. I had it...not worth it IMO.

vj9999 said:
I actually doubt that Kings games will be part of their digital package. Local sports networks are usually included as a part of expanded basic package.
This is correct. They call it "Expanded Basic Coverage". The digital version costs $55.66 without the "turn coat" $25/month price break. The Comcast analog version is $45.66/month, but their is no "buy-back" discount. I think that the digital version has music channels and a seven-day television guide. All that stuff is probably digital. I believe that the digital signal requires a converter, whereas the analog version may not. Not absolutely sure about that.

You are correct. Also keep in mind that digital version includes analog channels as well (you can watch them on a TV without a digital converter). But who cares, as long as you get to watch all the Kings games :)

It really depends on the area you're residing in on the cost of standard. Standard cable in the central valley region can vary about 10 dollars from 35.86 in some areas to 45.86 in modesto. In sacramento you will be looking to pay 42.49. However you're crazy if you sign up for full value right off the bat because we have large discount codes on most services we can give out that aren't advertised with or without a dish win back. Just something you should keep in mind if you're thinking about switching.

Kingscast23 said:
It really depends on the area you're residing in on the cost of standard. Standard cable in the central valley region can vary about 10 dollars from 35.86 in some areas to 45.86 in modesto. In sacramento you will be looking to pay 42.49. However you're crazy if you sign up for full value right off the bat because we have large discount codes on most services we can give out that aren't advertised with or without a dish win back. Just something you should keep in mind if you're thinking about switching.
Well, talk about it! You sound like a network news anchor. You announced that there was important news, but gave none.

QD, I think the reps are given a lot of leeway right now. I explained my situation to the one I talked to (under contract until Nov., can't turn in my Dish right now, but don't want to miss any games) He gave me 19.99 for 3 months, and made a notation that I would be eligible for the "turn in the Dish special' once I was able to do so. Gave me his direct extention, so I don't need to mess around with explaining the situation to another rep.
I'd just ask them what the best they can do for you, to convince you to switch, is.

Well, I have confirmed that the new sports channel will be on Channel 68 here in Vacaville starting Oct 16 (the HD feed will not be available.) That is the good news. Now the bad news, I left AT&T Cable (now Comcast) 4 years ago because I could not get the majority of the Kings games and went with DirecTV. I have been very happy with DirecTV and had been able to receive all but maybe 4-6 games a year. However, DirecTV has confirmed that since all the Kings games will be on my local cable company and since I am in the Kings local market in regards to the NBALP, all the games will be blacked out; Unless DirecTV picks up this channel which I don't see happening (cost). So these are my options:

1. Dump DirecTV along with my HDTivo and two other DTivo units (not!!!!) and go with Comcast.
2. Keep DirecTV and sign up for the Comcast Extended Basic at a cost of $28.00 a month.
3. Keep everything status quo and do without the Kings games (other than the 20 games carried by Channel 10).

In May I spent $1000.00 for the HDTivo, so dumping DTV is not an option. Adding cable is not really an option or I may have to look for another wife. So, it looks like option 3 is really my only choice. I just hope DTV gets this channel, but I'm not holding my breath.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Josh duLac and Clint Swett are going to be hosting a little online chat tomorrow between 10-11 am on sacbee.com to answer questions about the new Comcast-Kings deal. He says he has a definitive answer about NBA League Pass from the league's top broadcast executive.

It might be worth checking out...

Hmm... Could the league make an exception to the blackout rules if the channel is not widely available!? I think that would be a fair thing to do if CSN Sacramento is not available on Directv/Dish by the time season starts.

Fair? We are talking about multi-billion dollar companies making decisions about the rights to broadcasts. They aren't going to give it away for free to the competition while the competition figures out how much it is willing to pay for it. Fair probably isn't even in their vocabulary.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the blackout rules may not apply to subscription cable service. Primarily, it was meant to protect the open-air broadcast stations.

Either way, duLac says he has a definitive answer. I'll be checking in to see what he says.

:D

DirecTV failed to make a deal with Maloof Sports. They apparently discounted the importantance of some basketball fans. So be it. Comcast wagered that Kings fans would buy their product if they contracted with the Maloofs. It is plain and simple. Comcast will, and should, harvest as many new subscribers as possible. I will subscribe to Comcast because I will save money, and I will see a lot of Kings games.

Now they have to drag the wire to my house.

This should be no different than when Fox Sports Bay Area was broadcasting the Kings games a few years ago. They did not black out the NBA League Pass for those games, only the KMAX games.

JB, I believe the reason they didn't black out the games on NBALP was because DTV carried both feeds of FSBA and FSBA was/is our regional sports channel. Living in Vacaville I sometimes have the Warriors games blacked out on FSBA and have to watch those games on the visiting teams feed. Why does this happen? I don't know, nor does the CSR's at DTV. With that said, I hope you are right and we will not be blacked out. I will not be able to listen to the chat today, so could someone please post what was said about NBALP and the blackout rules...Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just asked THE question - I hope - that will lead to a "definitive answer" about League Pass coverage. Let's see what happens - or if they opt to answer my question.

Thanks VJ9999 for the link. As a Surewest subscriber, I plan to give them till the end of October and then switch if they don't offer the Comcast channel.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going to wait until the end of the hour and then post the relevant questions and answers. They seem to be answering some questions that were submitted earlier, so you don't really know which question will be posted next...

quick dog said:
Well, talk about it! You sound like a network news anchor. You announced that there was important news, but gave none.
My apologies...if you play your cards right and you're speaking to a rep in the sales department you can talk him down to 19.99 for 12/ms for standard including a digital box. Most reps such as myself take pride in not having to use it to make a sale but if it is asked for and you are willing to maybe take on a small digital package like "classic" or "plus" which cost 9.99 and 14.95 respectively. You can create yourself a nice lil package with two boxes in two rooms and the most you would be paying is 34.95 a month for 12/mths. Again these aren't market offers that anyone at comcast is obligated to give out but we are told can be used if its the difference between a new customer and a customer who walks. The ideal package for a customer interested solely in the Nba would be standard with a combo of digital classic and the sports pack. If I received a call requesting that package with a 12/m discount I would be more than happy to go for it. Keep in mind we're people too and sometimes a lot of folks forget that. If you come on the phone demanding it you're going to get told the 12/m discount doesnt exsist. good luck

Last edited:
Kingscast23 said:
My apologies...if you play your cards right and you're speaking to a rep in the sales department you can talk him down to 19.99 for 12/ms for standard including a digital box. Most reps such as myself take pride in not having to use it to make a sale but if it is asked for and you are willing to maybe take on a small digital package like "classic" or "plus" which cost 9.99 and 14.95 respectively. You can create yourself a nice lil package with two boxes in two rooms and the most you would be paying is 34.95 a month for 12/mths. Again these aren't market offers that anyone at comcast is obligated to give out but we are told can be used if its the difference between a new customer and a customer who walks. The ideal package for a customer interested solely in the Nba would be standard with a combo of digital classic and the sports pack. If I received a call requesting that package with a 12/m discount I would be more than happy to go for it. Keep in mind we're people too and sometimes a lot of folks forget that. If you come on the phone demanding it you're going to get told the 12/m discount doesnt exsist. good luck
Thanks.

I'm not sure how much leverage I have. They may have to run a cable to my house, just my house. I'll give it a try and report back.

Do you know anything about the hardware requirements. For example, if my wife wants a second cable output in her bedroom, does a single incoming cable go through and experior wall, then to a splitter box, then two lines come from the splitter, or is there some other physical arrangement? Do I wire the attic and house, then have an open cable exposed outside of the house with which Comcast can connect?

Last edited:
Hmm, according to the questions, the blackout zone extends 75 miles from Sacramento city limits. I think Chico is around 90 miles away, so maybe my League Pass channels won't be blacked out! :)

Variant said:
Hmm, according to the questions, the blackout zone extends 75 miles from Sacramento city limits. I think Chico is around 90 miles away, so maybe my League Pass channels won't be blacked out! :)
I hope so too. I need to call Directv and find out what my status is. If I have to settle for just the local and national tv games i guess I'll live, but I really wanted to get the DVR and watch all 82+ games this season. I wonder how many Chicoans we got here. I know there is me, NoBonus/ajandaj, now I know you. Anyone else residing up in Butte county?