Satellite customers, DirecTV and Dish Network..what do we do ?

Now that the Kings local tv deal is with comcast, what do we do ? Do we wait and hope that the channel gets picked up ? What should we do, im on Dish Network, and am now stressed out...

I dunno alls I know is I have NBA League Pass for Cable... And I finally get to listen to the Kings home announcers instead of the road ones every time...

I sent an e-mail to DirecTV letting them know that I am planning to cancel NBALP as soon as possible. Then I requested that they let me know if they are planning to carry Comcast Kings games. I said that if I don't hear from them within a few days that I will cancel my DirecTV subscription and go with Comcast. I don't want to do so, but without that Comcast contract, those of us with the dishes are going to miss a lot of Kings games.

I doubt that I will hear from them. That means I will probably have to drill some more holes in my attic and route another coaxial cable to the television.

QD. Call them and ask for customer retention department. They might be of more help. Although, it is hard for them to commit that they will carry it our not since the network is still non existent.

how about taking a deep breath & chill out?? dang, it was just announced publicly...comcast hasn't even worked out their own internal details yet, give directv & dishnetwork a chance....

jeffjcalweb said:
how about taking a deep breath & chill out?? dang, it was just announced publicly...comcast hasn't even worked out their own internal details yet, give directv & dishnetwork a chance....
True, but you know how the heat of the moment stuff goes

Remember when Dish Network lost the MTV networks? They created a mass e-mail that people could copy and e-mail to specific people at MTV.(or whatever their mother station is), perhaps, as Kings fans, we should create a mass e-mail to send to select Dish Network and DirectTV officials. Then, we get as many people as possible to e-mail it to the same officials. At least, in this fashion, a unified voice could be heard and possibly seen by the upper-level people at those companies.

Anyone want to draft one up? Could we contact the SacBee and see if they will write a little article about our efforts once we get them going?

I have NBALP & DirecTV. Would they black out the Kings games that are shown on comcast for me on NBALP? That seems silly to me... I'd rather watch away team announcers than sign up for Comcast just to hear Grant & Jerry... but I'll do it if it means Kings games will be blacked out for me.

I thought the blackout rules only applied to over-the-air channels, not cable-only stuff.

I haven't called yet, but I found this, from someone who did

Just got off the phone with a direcTV rep. He said that as of now, if you have league pass, all kings games will be blacked out unless they are shown on local TV. (channel 10)
I have DirecTV, and if that's the way it's going to be, I am switching (at least until DTV picks up the channel) to Comcast. I am not paying what I pay now, if I don't get to see the Kings. Others may have differing opinions, but I don't watch enough other programming to justify it.

Kingsgurl said:
Heck, Comcast will probably save me money, but I'm having seperation anxiety with my TIVO.
Comcast is rolling out an ultimate TIVO technology at year's end. Supposedly it's far superior to TIVO. The Bee had some stories on it earlier this year.

I have Comcast's DVR (had it for 3 months now) and it is nowhere near superior to Tivo. They stil depend on that clunky TV Guide to drive the whole interface. It is functional and it serves the purpose, but few tivo like functions are missing (like season pass).

By the end of year they will (should) release a dual tuner DVR that will be using a little enhanced version of TV guide as it's interface. It will also allow you to record one thing while watching something else (hence dual tuner) or even to record two things at the same time.

Some Comcast areas might be relasing a Microsoft TV interface with their DVRs. Either way it is still far from Tivo, but hopefully it will get there.

jeffjcalweb said:
The season starts in a few weeks. DirecTV took years just to provide local television stations to subscribers. It seems to me that the goal of a TV provider is to take customers from competitors. That is exactly what Comcast is doing. They will not sell the Kings games to DirecTV if they think that a bunch of DirecTV and Dish subscribers will switch to Comcast to watch Kings games. If a fan wants to watch Kings games this year, I believe they will have to watch Comcast.

Where's my long 1/2-inch drill bit?

M

Markezi

Comcast has already publicly stated that it will sell this station to other providers. DirecTV and DISH have already publicly stated that they are extremely interested in this station and will actively try to secure it because they know how important it is to their subscribers.

And if it doesn't happen by the start of the season? NBALP is still cheaper than the hell we will pay for having to switch back to the single worst customer service company in America: Comcast.

So who wants to help me work on the mass e-mail to DirectTV and Dish Network? SHould we start a new thread in a different forum? I know the president of Dish Network prides himself on being available to the customer... we should get his e-mail and a bunch of other upper-level people at those networks and get this e-mail thing going. Anyone?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NoBonus said:
Anyone want to draft one up? Could we contact the SacBee and see if they will write a little article about our efforts once we get them going?
Okay, I took a stab at it. See below. If you do decide to use it, go through and make sure you ONLY mention your satellite provider. You don't need to use the "DirecTV/DishNetwork" phrase. Just delete whichever isn't appropriate.

Dear DirecTV/DishNetwork:

I am currently a satellite subscriber because, quite frankly, I feel your service is a much better deal than cable. In my area, Comcast is the cable company and I am not at all impressed by their package options, their costs, their attitude towards customers, etc.

I have a problem however. I am a Sacramento Kings fan - a huge Sacramento Kings fan. I have suffered through watching only a portion of my favorite teams games. I have purchased League Pass to be able to see as many games as possible.

With the recent announcement of Comcast that they will be broadcasting ALL Kings games (other than those nationally televised) this upcoming season, I am faced with a very difficult decision - whether to stay with my satellite company or end up leaving for Comcast.

From the way I read the article, it seems as though Comcast is being required to offer the Kings broadcasts (and everything else on their new sports channel) to the satellite providers and other cable companies within their service area. This gives me a glimmer of hope. I would much rather stay with DirecTV/DishNetwork if there's any way possible but I have been a Kings fan for too many years not to give serious consideration to switching back to cable if it means being able to see my favorite team's games.

Please! Do whatever it takes to acquire the Kings broadcasts. I would much rather stay with DirecTV/DishNetwork. Help me make this decision by providing your growing number of viewers in the greater Sacramento area with the means to watch literally the only game in town on DirecTV/DishNetwork.

Sincerely...

Looks great! We probably do not need the part about NBALP though. Not all of us have/had it. Should we draft up a Dish Network only version and a DirectTV only version with appropriate e-mail addresses and such? I can do the Dish Network e-mail addresses if someone else will do the DirectTV ones..

NoBonus

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NoBonus said:
Looks great! We probably do not need the part about NBALP though. Not all of us have/had it. Should we draft up a Dish Network only version and a DirectTV only version with appropriate e-mail addresses and such? I can do the Dish Network e-mail addresses if someone else will do the DirectTV ones..

NoBonus
You could always leave it in if you actually did have NBALP and take it out if you didn't. ;)

In addition, people with DishNetwork can just delete the references to DirecTV and people with DirecTV can just delete all the mention of DishNetwork. Ah, the joys of word processing!

Okay, I have two links for Dish Network subscribers to be heard (but no direct e-mail address unfortunately). Go to this link:http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/contact_us/index.asp

fill in the statistical information and copy and paste the letter inthe message area. I am not sure which area to select, so try to find an appropriate one.

Second, here is a link to the "Charlie Chat": http://www.dishnetwork.com/popUps/customerCare/charlieChat/question.shtml?section=customerCare

Select "Charlie Chat" as the first option, fill in your statistical information, and then copy and paste the letter into the message catagory. This message will go to Charlie Ergen, CEO of Dish Network, to be addressed in his Charlie's Chat broadcast on channel 101.

I will keep searching, but I think this is it.

From the Direct TV website about blackout rules on NBA LP:
Q: Local Broadcasts
A: If a local over-the-air network has the rights to broadcast an NBA game in its local area, customers in that area will be unable to receive that game via their satellite service. However, they may be able to see the game via their local channels.
Since the Comcast regional sports channel is not available over-the-air like the KXTV broadcasts, or is available without an extended basic subscription to Sacramento Comcast customers - then we should not expect the NBA League Pass coverage to be blacked out. There is a precedence here. When FOX Sports BA and KMAX had the Kings coverage a few seasons ago, the KMAX carried games were blacked out on NBA LP. However, the FOX Sports BA broadcasts were not blacked out on NBA LP. I see no difference between this new channel offered by Comcast and the FOX Sports Channel. Both are regional sports networks not available to all residents OTA.
I've sent a question to Direct TV to clarify this issue.