SAR coming to the Kings discussion (merged)

Bricklayer said:
A guy who has played in 38 career games over 3 seasons just cannot be the guy you are depending on in that role. He could well be in the NBDL next season. He's the right style of player (kind of), but he was waived by an EXPANSION team last year. :eek: With the defense, or lack thereof, amongst our starters, we desperately need an impact defensive guy off that bench, and a guy with enough stature to actually grab the lion's share of frontcourt minutes from our gaggles of middling well established pros.
Impact defensive guy, hmmm....

Check, Brian Skinner.

sidney said:
And like you mentioned, Skinner will fit in nicely with one of those bad dudes as well.

I would just love to see Kobe/McGrady/Allen get stuffed or fouled hard enough to actually fall down when driving inside on us. Our big man bench is the only hope now for any sort of contention.
Brad used to lay the lumber on people, but I don't think Rick Adelman likes that. He would rather have Brad be out on the court then be in foul trouble. Hopefully Brad bulks up, like he said he would, and plays tough like he used to.

Sampson will be the #2 or #3 PF/C off the bench, if he makes it.

Skinner is the back-up right now. I think we will get one of Etan Thomas/Reggie Evans/Eddie Griffin/Melvin Ely. Along with another big if Skinner is traded, which I don't think happens.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
Impact defensive guy, hmmm....

Check, Brian Skinner.
I like Skinner, but he has never been a big impact player defensively, offensively, or anywhere else. Very much think his performance for a few weeks for us last year was just an aberration -- the traditional post trade burst of "I'll show you" play which never lasts long. And actually given the scores in those games, I've had to reasess jsut how much impact Skinner was having even then. Mentioned a couple of times that I think he was blocking that many shots just because nobody respected him enough to bother to be intimidated.

In any case, he's the best we've got for the role at the moment, but I would feel far more comfortable with him as a rugged big man #4 with the right attitude and right emphasis behind a guy with a bigger impact. Our starters...worse than Phoenix last year defensively. But who the 6th man is is yet to be worked out. It really NEEDS to be a guy who can come in and give us a real burst of all the things we lack right now for 25 min a night. Big guy preferably. Come in and change the game. That's not consistently Brian. But if we can somehow parlay our remaining pieces into said game changer and then have Skinner behind him to add defensive frontcourt depth, Brian has long been my favorite of the "flexible" three to make a return.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know this thread is on its way to the place where all good threads go once their point is moot, but I wanted to take just a minute to comment:

I just took the time to re-read the entire thread. I am glad I did, because I had missed some very interesting comments over the course of time, what with having to work, sleep, etc.

As a member of this august group, I am amazed by the amount of basketball knowledge and passion shown by my fellow members.

As a moderator of this forum, I am very proud of our members and the way they presented their arguments. The amount of effort put forth to get points across was impressive. Even when tempers flared a couple of times :eek:, people managed to settle their differences without the normal flame fests that would have occurred on virtually any other sports board.

I am continually amazed by our members. Regardless of how people may have felt before the acquisition of SAR, they managed to debate/discuss rationally and it was very interesting to read, even after the fact.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

My NBA 2K5 Kings roster:

Bibby
Bonzi
Peja
SAR
Miller
---
Hart
Harpring
Barnes
Etan Thomas
Francisco Elson
Skinner
Martin

:)

Strange that James Jones was not included.

Shame that the game came out in September, so no Mo Evans.

Last edited: