San Antonio vs. Detroit - NBA Finals

Who wins NBA Championship?

• Pistons

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Spurs

Votes: 64 65.3%

• Total voters
Spurs workingn over the Pistons at this point, and their offense is really clicking. Pistons on the other end can't seem to make their shots (shades of Games 1 and 2), and the Spurs aren't turning the ball over to give the Pistons easy fast break opportunities.

37-28 Spurs with just over 6 minutes left in the second quarter.

Spurs up 5 at 40-35 after two calls go against the Pistons (this according to Jack Ramsey). Sounds as if the game has been balanced from an officiating standpoint thus far.

Pistons hit 50% of their last 10 shots in the second quarter to tie the game at 42 going into halftime. Solid halfs by both teams, but both could play better as well.

If the Pistons end up losing this game 5, I think the key to look at would be the Bowen vs. Prince production on offense. I didn't think Prince would have such a difficult time on the offensive end of the floor, but other than games 3 and 4, he has been completely absent, and Bowen is outplaying him on the offensive end, which is not something which the pundits (or I) expected to happen prior to the series beginning.

Spurs currently up 53 to 48 with 7:30 left in the 3rd quarter.

Interesting note: Beno Udrih has not logged a minute in this game 5, and the 3rd quarter is almost over. Clearly a choice by Pop after Beno had so much trouble playing against the Pistons' pressure in games 3 and 4.

Horry knocks down a 3 pointer as the 3rd quarter ends to give the Spurs a 64-63 lead with 12 minutes to play. Finally looks as if this Finals will produce a competitive game...

Big Shot Rob/Bob hits a three to start the 4th, then just hits another 3 to tie the game with 4 minutes left. 79 to 79, Pistons basketball with 3 minutes left. Both teams shooting 50% from the floor to this point in the 4th.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kind of classic Horry -- Duncan is choking FTs left and right. Parker is singing soprano the whole second half, and 34 yr old roleplaying Robert Horry steps up as the goto player for the Spurs. Amazing.

O

ONEZERO

Rasheed wallace can go to hell for all I'm concerned. **** that foo. Mother****en ****en mother****en **** ****!

Why the anger at 'Sheed? I missed the last two minutes of regulation and OT (unavoidable work conflict). Someone please give me some details.

As for Horry, what can you say? This game clearly rivals his knock down the winning shot against the Kings in game 4 of that WCF, only on the biggest stage possible, and for a much more extended time period (entire 4th quarter and OT). 18 points in the 4th quarter and OT, 4 for 5 from three point land, and who knows how many of his rebounds he collected during that stretch (5 of his 7 boards in the game were offensive). At this point, if the Spurs win the title, Horry should get the MVP just for his performance in the last 17 minutes of this game 5. He won't since Duncan had big numbers and probably locked up the MVP as Manu had ok numbers, but Horry is the reason the Spurs won this game 5, plain and simple.

Bricklayer

4cwebb said:
Why the anger at 'Sheed? I missed the last two minutes of regulation and OT (unavoidable work conflict). Someone please give me some details.
Let's see -- details...Horry = C-L-U-T-C-H. :) Everybody else on the Spurs = ??

O

ONEZERO

Rasheed decides to triple team ginobli instead of guarding horry after the inbounds(horry took out the ball) and ginobli passes the ball out to horry for a wide open series winning three. OMG. What just happened? Horry again? Someone help me, PLEASE. I feel like throwing up.

ONEZERO said:
Rasheed decides to triple team ginobli instead of guarding horry after the inbounds(horry took out the ball) and ginobli passes the ball out to horry for a wide open series winning three. OMG. What just happened? Horry again? Someone help me, PLEASE. I feel like throwing up.
Well, if anyone can feel your pain in this instance, it's the rest of the Kings' fans. Amazing that anyone would leave Horry for any reason under any circumstance at any time down the stretch of a game like this game.

How much time did Rip have when he took (and missed) the last shot of the game? Was it pretty makeable, or highly contested?

Bricklayer

ONEZERO said:
I can't ever forgive Horry for 2002, but just as a competitive person he has long since passed into the "just have to tip your hat" realm -- like him or not, he has flat out earned any props he gets + you just have to respect the hell out of anyone who can so consistently rise to the occasion on the biggest stages. Performances like his are part of what make sports so fun, even when its you he's beating.

starks said:
horry was horry, manu was stupitd with turnovers and duncan is bigger choker than peja (almost).....whata miss in the end of regulation
Manu had 9asts and 2 Tos. He definetely did not play dumb tonight. About 4-5 of his missed shots were at the end of the shot clock or at end of the quarter. He found the open players all night. He did not play well at the end, but he did have a solid all around floor game, when you consider Parker's 6 TO's as the teams PG. Manu was the floor general tonight, Parker was just turning it over left and right.

Duncan had big rebound numbers, but a lot of his points came off offensive rebounds. He didn't take control on offense.

If there is anyone aside from SUPER clutch Horry who at least played hard and smart tonight, it was Ginobili. Duncan had solid spurts, but completely collapsed in the fourth. Parker as a whole was really horrible tonight in terms of the floor game. And he got ABUSED by Billups.

But yes, Horry was the difference by far.

Last edited:
Nikos said:
If there is anyone aside from SUPER clutch Horry who at least played hard and smart tonight, it was Ginobili. Duncan had sold spurts, but completely collapsed in the fourth. Parker as a whole was really horrible tonight in terms of the floor game. And he got ABUSED by Billups.

But yes, Horry was the difference by far.
Too bad Billups didn't have any real help tonight. Sad that no one else on his team could come up with more than 15 points to help him out. Also surprised that he missed all three of his shots in OT. I'd have liked to see the Pistons win this game. I imagine the series will get wrapped up in Game 6 (which is Tuesday --- stupid NBA scheduling to have three days off between to games in the same city and two days off for travel, btw).

Billups was simply abusing Parker. Honestly I think if if the Spurs had a more physical PG defender who warranted playing time, Billups would not be on fire like this.

But thats the way it is with Parker sometimes. Poor decision making and his post defense is atrocious.

O

ONEZERO

4cwebb said:
How much time did Rip have when he took (and missed) the last shot of the game? Was it pretty makeable, or highly contested?
That might have been one of the worst "game on the line" possesions I've ever seen. Not only did he elbow parker or ginobli in the face multiple times(I can't remember who was guarding him), but he got off an ugly shot attempt.

Nikos said:
Billups was simply abusing Parker. Honestly I think if if the Spurs had a more physical PG defender who warranted playing time, Billups would not be on fire like this.
parker had his entire hand under billups' arm when he was going up for his last layup. then he was dang near bear huggin hamilton in the final play. He get anymore physical, they're gonna be playing football.LOL