San Antonio vs. Detroit - NBA Finals

Who wins NBA Championship?

• Pistons

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Spurs

Votes: 64 65.3%

• Total voters
VF21 said:
No offense to you personally, but to your comment I must say bullbleep! If LB has to whine publicly in the hopes that "his team might get a couple extra calls" then that is truly pathetic.

The Pistons have been outplayed, outhustled, outsmarted and outcoached. These were blowouts - the last time a team won the first two games of the finals by more than 15 points each was in 1951. It was, incidentally, the Rochester Royals who did it.

Brown needs to quit looking for obscure statistics about officiating and start figuring out a way to play better than the San Antonio Spurs. I don't think it's gonna happen...
I agree with your last two points. The officials are pretty much the least of the Pistons' worries. But, for better or worse, the perception exists that if a coach complains publicly about the officiating, there is a chance that his team may get a favorable call or two in the following game since the spotlight has been turned to the officiating.

Phil Jackson was the master at this, and, imho, it probably helped the Lakers a couple of times against the Kings. Was it the sole reason for the Kings losing those series to the Lakers? Certainly not. Kings have no one to blame but themselves for that collection of talent not winning a ring (well, themselves and bad luck with injuries).

My point is merely this: if LB's not complaining about the officiating with the statistics "in his favor" after game 2, so to speak, he's not doing everything that he could be doing to help give his team an edge. And, after the first two dismantlings that the Pistons have suffered through, failure to pull out all the stops for game 3 would be foolhardy on LB's part at best. It's not the most glamorous way to gain an edge, and LB will have to do some masterful coaching to help his team even be in position to compete. But in my mind at least by complaining about the officiating LB is in fact probably going to pull out all the stops.

BTW, Nazr with 2 quick fouls in the first quarter of game 3. Of course, Pistons still can't shoot the ball, and Horry is no scrub. Spurs with 5 - 3 lead.

Pistons still shooting the ball terribly, at least from a relative standpoint. 8 for 20 in the first quarter. Missing plenty of chippies that they should be making if they want to win this game 3.

Spurs shooting better than 50% (9-16). Manu and Nazr each with 2 fouls in the first quarter.

Spurs up 23 - 20.

Barry playing well in Manu's foul-induced absence. 5 points in the first quarter.

Duncan with a tip-in at the end of the first quarter to give the Spurs a 6 point lead. Pistons did plenty of things right in that first quarter, but shot 9 for 23. That's just not going to get it done. But hey, they're on pace to break 80 this game at least.

Duncan just got hit with a technical after he picked up his second foul. Spurs feeling like they are getting the short end of the officiating stick right now, and aren't liking it. To this point, Spurs have had 7 or 8 fouls whistled against them, Pistons with only 2 in the entire game, and it's in the second quarter.

Prince with 6 here in the second quarter. Pistons with a one-point lead at 28-27.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
4cwebb said:
My point is merely this: if LB's not complaining about the officiating with the statistics "in his favor" after game 2, so to speak, he's not doing everything that he could be doing to help give his team an edge. And, after the first two dismantlings that the Pistons have suffered through, failure to pull out all the stops for game 3 would be foolhardy on LB's part at best. It's not the most glamorous way to gain an edge, and LB will have to do some masterful coaching to help his team even be in position to compete. But in my mind at least by complaining about the officiating LB is in fact probably going to pull out all the stops.
I understood your point. I simply don't agree that it's a good thing to do. If your team is playing GOOD ball and you think you're being treated unfairly by the officials, that's one thing. But if your team has pretty much stunk up the court for two games, the last thing you need to be doing is crying about the officiating.

Luckily for Detroit fans, it seems as though the Pistons have taken some strength from the home-town crowd. The proof in the pudding, so to speak, will be how the Pistons handle the second half...

I just have the feeling the Spurs are toying with the Pistons right now, much as a bored cat will toy with a mouse. If they (the Spurs) tire of the game and decide they're hungry, the Pistons are in trouble... (Just an impression, and nothing based on concrete evidence.)

Manu Ginobili oughta change his name to Manure Ginobili b/c he is full of ****!

That little tap to his knee in the start of the game was nothing and the guy flops of the court like he got shot. Good player but the guy takes flopping to a disrespectful level (2X worse than Vlade ever was).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Robert Horry now holds the record (43) for most three-pointers in the playoffs. He is one ahead of Michael Jordan...

No one other than Billups should shoot 3s for the Pistons. Anyone else taking the shot is basically committing a turnover at this point. Wonder if the Pistons can hang tough through the third quarter.

Billups finally hits a three, but Bruce Bowen hits a three to answer (Bowen now 3 for 4 from 3 in game 3). Bowen is playing really well, and is again outscoring Prince (although Prince is at least keeping it close in this game.

Duncan picks up his 3rd foul early in this third quarter. Time to send 'Sheed into the post to try to pick up Duncan's 4th.

Pistons showing signs of life. Up 5 with 7 minutes left to go in the 3rd quarter. At this point, I'm just happy that the game is competitive.

4cwebb said:
Pistons showing signs of life. Up 5 with 7 minutes left to go in the 3rd quarter. At this point, I'm just happy that the game is competitive.
You can say that again. Had this been another SA blowout I doubt I would be able to waste more time watching this series.

Pistons take a 5 point lead into the 4th quarter at 70-65. Stats are pretty even at this point as far as comparisons are concerned. Rip and Prince have had decent games to this point, but both will need to play well in the 4th if the Pistons want to register a win.

On the other end, Manu hasn't really played well, although Barry has had his back a bit. Parker has played quite well, and the Spurs are shooting the ball well again from 3. They can easily overcome this little deficit and win this game if they put their minds to it.

4cwebb said:
Pistons take a 5 point lead into the 4th quarter at 70-65. Stats are pretty even at this point as far as comparisons are concerned. Rip and Prince have had decent games to this point, but both will need to play well in the 4th if the Pistons want to register a win.

On the other end, Manu hasn't really played well, although Barry has had his back a bit. Parker has played quite well, and the Spurs are shooting the ball well again from 3. They can easily overcome this little deficit and win this game if they put their minds to it.
Like VF21's 8-Ball said... :) Good Job VF!

Pistons up 90 - 76 with 2:50 left in the game. Spurs basketball. Manu and Duncan both had relatively terrible games. Time for the Pistons to defend the 3 point line.

Game 4

Spurs start off the first very shaky with 6 turnovers, but still well within striking distance. Pistons attacking the rim relentlessly.

18 - 12 Pistons with 2 minutes left in the first quarter.

If the Pistons could shoot the ball with any type of efficiency, they'd have a huge lead. Spurs on a solid run that Dice stops, but the lead is down to 20 - 17. Beno has the last 5 for the Spurs.