Salary Cap 2020-2021 and Kings Free Agents

Just curious, if the salary cap falls next year as many expect what does that mean for the Kings ability to retain Giles, Joseph and Len? If they sign Bogdan, pick up Beli’s option and Parker picks up his option they could likely be well over the cap. With whom do they have Bird rights and to whom can they only offer a minimum contract?

To my knowledge they used the room exception on Holmes and only have the 2.6M trade exception. Front loading the contracts of Hield and Barnes while good at the time could really bite them in the butt.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If the salary cap drops, it's going to bite everybody, not just us.

Years ago I advocated for the NBA to move to a model where player salaries were based on a percentage of league revenue rather than literal dollars, which would instantly vest the players in to league windfalls and protect teams in cases like this. But I'm a rando on the internet, so it's not like anybody was listening.

If the salary cap drops, it's going to bite everybody, not just us.

Years ago I advocated for the NBA to move to a model where player salaries were based on a percentage of league revenue rather than literal dollars, which would instantly vest the players in to league windfalls and protect teams in cases like this. But I'm a rando on the internet, so it's not like anybody was listening.
The max player salaries are a % of the cap now.

I agree a lower cap will limit the ability of teams to sign free agents of other teams. Your own free agents with bird rights you can go over the cap so it's easier to keep your own.

The max player salaries are a % of the cap now.

I agree a lower cap will limit the ability of teams to sign free agents of other teams. Your own free agents with bird rights you can go over the cap so it's easier to keep your own.
true but I’m not sure which of our free agents we have bird rights.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm thinking the whole draft/free agency thing just might undergo a significant change when the NBA gets back to business. There are a ton of questions the NBA and all professional sports franchises are going to have to address, not least of those the possible reluctance of fans to return to the tight quarters of arenas once COVID-19 has run its course and the stay-at-home mandates are lifted. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a total restructuring/renegotiation of the CBA.

I'm thinking the whole draft/free agency thing just might undergo a significant change when the NBA gets back to business. There are a ton of questions the NBA and all professional sports franchises are going to have to address, not least of those the possible reluctance of fans to return to the tight quarters of arenas once COVID-19 has run its course and the stay-at-home mandates are lifted. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a total restructuring/renegotiation of the CBA.
I doubt it. The big money is from the TV contracts.

If the salary cap drops, as expected, if the rest of the season is cancelled or abbreviated, I expect this to actually help the Kings retain Giles.

All teams will have a lot less salary cap space to gamble on a player like Giles, with his extensive injury history. If Giles FA offers are just a little over the $4 million the Kings can offer (i.e $5 million or so), it would probably be in Giles best interest to resign with the Kings and retain his Bird rights for the following summer, when the salary cap should rise.

Giles would also have an established role in the Kings rotation and that would give him a better chance at solid PT and to cash in during the 2021 off season with a larger contract with the Kings.

Is the Kings’ contract extension offer to Bogi still on the table? I wonder if at some point he figures it makes more sense just to take it and not worry about how things shake out with the the cap/CBA.

The crucial difference between Bird rights and Early Bird rights involves limits on contract offers. While Bird players can receive maximum salary deals for up to five years, the Early Bird exception cannot be used to offer a max deal. The most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent is 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the league-average salary, whichever is greater. These offers are also capped at four years rather than five, and must be for at least two years.

Basemore has Bird, Len, Yogi have early bird

We can offer Len 1.75% of 4.16 Mil prev salary so 7.26 mil for a good backup C? Yes
We can offer more to Basemore than teams with no cap- so advantage Kings but not too much please
I think it might depend on If Bogi signs extension, or QO at 10.6m, or we match up to 15m?
If no Bogie then Basemore could be backup plan
I dont see us paying Yogi 4-5 mil for 3rd string PG

If we keep Belly, and parker opts in, we have 9 guys at 98mil
Fox,Cojo
Buddy,James
Barnes
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes

My guess if lucky we keep Giles, sign Bogi or Base, Len ,1strd,2-2nd rd
Fox,Cojo, 2nd rd
Buddy,(Bogi/Base),James
Barnes,1st Rd,2nd rd
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes,Len,Giles

Last edited:
It's interesting. I don't know how those TV contracts are structured, but you would assume that each network will agree to pay for the right to televise NBA games contingent that NBA games are available to televise. If the NBA can't provide games they can't exactly ask for their money. Also, my league pass payments were suspended, so their subscriber services income will be down a fair bit.

Can the NBA make drastic changes to the cap in one season? Or will they adjust the cap based on what they project for next year?

Oh you can bet the attorneys have written the contracts to cover all sorts of calamities. This pandemic being one of them. The NBA and NBPA are negotiating to see how they slice whats left of the pie. I think I read the NBA asked for a 50% discount and the NBPA asked for only a 25%.

So things will change.

Found it, click here--> https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2020/4/3/21207473/nba-news-coronavirus-player-pay-reduction-nbapa
I'm sure they actually have to have the games to broadcast to get paid so the games lost this year will lower the cap. But a full season next year has no change.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Remember that it takes two to tango. Hopefully the players association and the NBA can get on the same page, but as past history has shown us, that doesn't always happen. I don't remember when the current CBA is up for renegotiation, but I'm fairly sure that individual parts of it can be addressed if both parties agree.

As for the fans coming back, I honestly don't think that will be a problem. Most people that I run into in stores etc. are chafing at the bit to get back to work and something that resembles normal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The crucial difference between Bird rights and Early Bird rights involves limits on contract offers. While Bird players can receive maximum salary deals for up to five years, the Early Bird exception cannot be used to offer a max deal. The most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent is 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the league-average salary, whichever is greater. These offers are also capped at four years rather than five, and must be for at least two years.

Basemore has Bird, Len, Yogi have early bird

We can offer Len 1.75% of 4.16 Mil prev salary so 7.26 mil for a good backup C? Yes
We can offer more to Basemore than teams with no cap- so advantage Kings but not too much please
I think it might depend on If Bogi signs extension, or QO at 10.6m, or we match up to 15m?
If no Bogie then Basemore could be backup plan
I dont see us paying Yogi 4-5 mil for 3rd string PG

If we keep Belly, and parker opts in, we have 9 guys at 98mil
Fox,Cojo
Buddy,James
Barnes
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes

My guess if lucky we keep Giles, sign Bogi or Base, Len ,1strd,2-2nd rd
Fox,Cojo, 2nd rd
Buddy,(Bogi/Base),James
Barnes,1st Rd,2nd rd
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes,Len,Giles
I have a feeling that Buddy will be traded in the off season, which means, if that were to happen, resigning Bogi is a must. Just a guess on my part.. Strangely, this disaster of a season may actually help us retain Giles. Teams that didn't have a lot of cap money to begin with, will have even less, and as a result might not be all that anxious to take a flyer on Giles. I'm hopeful on Bazemore, but not optimistic. There will be a lot of teams interested, and one of them is the team right down the road.

The Warriors have a huge trade exception from the Iggy trade that would allow them to take back more salary than they're sending out. The problem is, who on the Warriors would we even want, excluding the obvious players, Curry etc. They do have a very high 1st rd pick but I'm not sure how much they value it. And, it would have to be a sign and trade by us. Anyway, just one example of what could happen.

I think Belly's future depends on how much cap room the Kings think they need. His contract isn't guaranteed for next year and I believe it comes with a small penalty if the Kings don't pick it up. So like Bazemore, I'm not optimistic he'll return. Holmes only has one more year left, and I'm sure the Kings will want to sign him to an extension, so they might need that money from Belly's contract.

No predictions on Parker. He's only owed 6.5 mil next season if he decides to stay. That's not a lot of coin in today's market so maybe some team would be willing to at least match it, if not increase it a little. He's saying that all he wants is to go to a team that will give him a legit chance to prove himself. I would suggest to him that getting in game shape would be a good start. So I have no idea what will happen. There's definitely some talent there, but I have the same question now, that I had coming out of college and that's about his work ethic. I will cut him some slack due to injuries, but those are red flags as well.

We do have bird rights to Fox, Bogi, and Bagley. We declined the 4th year option on Giles, so the max we can offer him this offseason is a 1 yr - 3.97 contract, while the other 29 teams can offer as much as they want. Right now, the 2020-2021 season is set at a soft cap at 118M and tax line at 143M. We do not want to go over the tax line, as we would have to pay luxury tax if we have a lucrative payroll. Now, next season (assuming we don't have Bogdanovic and Harry) we will have 116M in team payrolls. Bogdanovic did not sign the 4/51, so I'm guessing he's betting on himself that he deserves more. If he doesn't sign the contract by the contract extension deadline, he will become a restricted free agent,

We do have bird rights to Fox, Bogi, and Bagley. We declined the 4th year option on Giles, so the max we can offer him this offseason is a 1 yr - 3.97 contract, while the other 29 teams can offer as much as they want. Right now, the 2020-2021 season is set at a soft cap at 118M and tax line at 143M. We do not want to go over the tax line, as we would have to pay luxury tax if we have a lucrative payroll. Now, next season (assuming we don't have Bogdanovic and Harry) we will have 116M in team payrolls. Bogdanovic did not sign the 4/51, so I'm guessing he's betting on himself that he deserves more. If he doesn't sign the contract by the contract extension deadline, he will become a restricted free agent,
We gonna have HG and Bogs on the Kings! So redo your math Bro!