Sacbee: Facing big off-season, Petrie sees Kings' potential

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
RealGM had a headline and blurb basically using the very last paragraph of the article where Petrie discusses his goals for the offseason. I created a thread about it in the Personnel Moves forum. Again, I think he's hit the nail on the head about what this offseason should accomplish:

Keep the core together (resign Dalembert and Thornton)
Add ballhandling
Get another quality big for the bench
Add shooting
Bring in a veteran presence

This could be a monumental offseason for the Kings. The question is whether the Maloofs will actually spend the money. And I have serious doubts about that happening.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
RealGM had a headline and blurb basically using the very last paragraph of the article where Petrie discusses his goals for the offseason. I created a thread about it in the Personnel Moves forum. Again, I think he's hit the nail on the head about what this offseason should accomplish:

Keep the core together (resign Dalembert and Thornton)
Add ballhandling
Get another quality big for the bench
Add shooting
Bring in a veteran presence

This could be a monumental offseason for the Kings. The question is whether the Maloofs will actually spend the money. And I have serious doubts about that happening.
On 1140 they are saying the Maloofs have said (today, I think) that they have capspace to spend this summer and will do so this year once the CBA is finalized. Said they may not spend it all, but will spend a good chunk of it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
On 1140 they are saying the Maloofs have said (today, I think) that they have capspace to spend this summer and will do so this year once the CBA is finalized. Said they may not spend it all, but will spend a good chunk of it.
Not to be too cynical, but the Kings will only have $27 million in payroll to start the offseason. They'll have to spend a good chunk of their caproom (at least $17 million or so) just to reach the league's minimum for salary.

This offseason is really a huge opportunity. High lottery pick, big time capspace, intriguing core with a few guys they want to retain. If played right this summer could mean a huge jump for this young team within the next couple years.

Obviously my hope is that the Maloofs DO shell out what Petrie needs to make upgrades and retain Dally and Thornton, the arena deal gets done and approved and we get to watch a very exciting and competitive Kings team for many, many years to come.

We'll see.

Not to be too cynical, but the Kings will only have $27 million in payroll to start the offseason. They'll have to spend a good chunk of their caproom (at least $17 million or so) just to reach the league's minimum for salary.

This offseason is really a huge opportunity. High lottery pick, big time capspace, intriguing core with a few guys they want to retain. If played right this summer could mean a huge jump for this young team within the next couple years.

Obviously my hope is that the Maloofs DO shell out what Petrie needs to make upgrades and retain Dally and Thornton, the arena deal gets done and approved and we get to watch a very exciting and competitive Kings team for many, many years to come.

We'll see.
Actually they dont. Dalembert and Thornton are now cap holds, at least under the old system. They still count against the cap until they resign, sign with another team or the team renounces the rights to them.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually they dont. Dalembert and Thornton are now cap holds, at least under the old system. They still count against the cap until they resign, sign with another team or the team renounces the rights to them.
No, you're right - technically "capspace" refers to the money left under the cap after accounting for Thorton and Dally's salaries from this season. But my point is, the Maloofs could resign them, add a lower tier free agent and some roster filler and be just a bit above last year's payroll number and at the same time tell fans how they opened up their pocketbook and spent $20 million to improve the team in the offseason.

Point being, them saying they will spend money doesn't really mean anything right now. The proof will be in how aggressive Petrie gets to be this summer to really improve this team. I'm hopeful but not entirely optimistic.

In any event; I'll be shocked if their payroll is 5m over the minimum.

Mission 1: Get team to stay 1 yr
Mission 2: Get team to stay longterm
Mission 3: Get rid of the d-bag owners

In any event; I'll be shocked if their payroll is 5m over the minimum.

Mission 1: Get team to stay 1 yr
Mission 2: Get team to stay longterm
Mission 3: Get rid of the d-bag owners
I dont mind the low payroll. The FA this year suck. I wouldnt over pay for them or give them over 2 year deals. Plus we need to see what the new CBA brings. I thought the league was supposed to give the players a new offer last friday.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
From Amick:

More Gavin Maloof: "We have cap space we're going to spend. I don't know if we'll spend all of it, but we'll spend a good portion of it."
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet . More Gavin Maloof: "We're not afraid to spend money...We have money. People don't believe we have money. We're very financially sound."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
1 name: Andrei Kirilenko

That is all...thank you...
Still my favorite name too. And is a way to add a little ballhandling/passing directly to the starting lineup without having to disrupt rotations.

Make that your big non-retention (Thornton, Daly) $$ expenditure, then go out and try to add experienced vets who might be able to add some leadership, ala what Memphis has done in creating that tough roleplaying core. Battier would likely cost too much and want to stay in Memphis, but I also like Shnannon Bown, although don't know if he would come as a 4th guard. You could try to add Kapono or Azuibuike as pure 3pt shooting depth. Earl Watson could be another guy you oculd look at as guard #4, if he has anything left and is willing. Has always seemed to have some vet leader in him, as well as defense. Point being that just go for the one big FA to patch our biggest hole, and then you can go ahead and jsut work with smaller acquisitions to pack our kids in solid vets.

Its kind of funny, but if Marquis Daniels can recover from his neck injury ... He could help this team. Very versatile player .. can handle, pass, and defend multple spots. And coming off injury, I think he would be fine having to play himself into the rotation. I would love Shannon Brown too, but he wouldnt take a fourth guard spot on our team.

Jazz have a few good FA's I'd like on our team aswell. AK47 would be fine, not my first choice, but I would take him thats for sure. Fesenko would be a fantastic 4th big. And then Ronnie Price or Earl Watson would make a good 4th guard.

One other kind of funny thing .. Petrie said we needed shooting. Bibby shot .440 from three this year. He can still handle the ball, and next to a guy like Evans (In a reserve role of course) ... he'll get ALOT of open looks from outside with all the attention being paid to Evans and Cousins. And you know he isnt afraid of shooting in the clutch.

Bricklayer

Mike Bibby's complete uselessness as an NBA player at this point is hard to overstate. ;)

Not to mention him being the worst defensive basketball player playing above the high school level. Bad enough when you are trying to play with a big fork sticking out of your back, but he's got the whole placesetting sticking out of there. But of course who knows.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Bibby gave up his salary to get a ring. I'd be happy to welcome him back but I think he wants hardware.

I think there are a lot of options to upgrade the Kings significantly. That's a remarkable position to be in. We can even promise a FA a nice place to play in. :)

Mike Bibby's complete uselessness as an NBA player at this point is hard to overstate. ;)

Not to mention him being the worst defensive basketball player playing above the high school level. Bad enough when you are trying to play with a big fork sticking out of your back, but he's got the whole placesetting sticking out of there. But of course who knows.
This coming from the guy who mentioned Jason Kapono :D:D:D

If were talking about shooting depth, I'd rather take Bibby for his ball handling / clutchness / history with the team than Mr. Kapono.

Bricklayer

This coming from the guy who mentioned Jason Kapono :D:D:D

If were talking about shooting depth, I'd rather take Bibby for his ball handling / clutchness / history with the team than Mr. Kapono.
that's exatly the problem, there is a tendency to let Bibby actually play, which has hurt whatever team he has been on for years.

Kapono is simple. Come in, stay out of the way, stand in the corner, hit the shot if we kick it to you. Then go back to the bench. Nobody confuses him wiht being a player, and he doesn't need the ball to do the one thing he does.

K

Kingsguy881

Kirilenko is injury prone. I like Shane Battier personally. Experience, leadership, defense, and spot up shooting.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

We'll see.
Just resigning Dalembert and Thornton will get them closer to the league minumum, depending on how much they want. As I've stated before, both those guys need to be wrapped up quickly so their cap holds are done away with. Dalembert has a cap hold of 20 mil. Until he's resigned for a, hopefully considerably less amount, that 20 mil will count against the cap and can't be used. By the way, if we don't bring back Jeter, whose contract is a team option I believe, or Taylor whose contract isn't guaranteed, our total salaries would be $25,636,876.00.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
It's been kind of hard to watch Bibby in the Miami playoff games. He pretty much stands around and passes the ball off to the big 3.

Nothing special. And not much reading between the lines. All I got from that is that Petrie has complete awareness of his team, which he obviously should! ;)

There aren't many FAs out there this year =/ I was thinking AK47, Reggie Evans, Battier, Josh McRoberts, Chucky Hayes, Prince, Moon or whoever are veterans, but besides AK and Battier I don't think I would want any. Errr. MCRoberts isn't really a vet, but I do like his play off the bench. Hayes, and Evans are too small, but can rebound decent off the bench..

HMM.. not much to choose from.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
From Amick:

More Gavin Maloof: "We have cap space we're going to spend. I don't know if we'll spend all of it, but we'll spend a good portion of it."
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet . More Gavin Maloof: "We're not afraid to spend money...We have money. People don't believe we have money. We're very financially sound."
The Maloofs are so full of BS. And that quote above demonstrates it. On the one hand, they're going to "spend a good portion of it" (capspace); on the other "we're very financially sound". So if you're very financially sound, Maloofs, why do you have to qualify how much you're going to spend? Already they are starting to hedge with how much they will spend. I think they're just praying that the CBA will fall in their favor so they continue to husband their cash.

The #1 thing the Kings need right now is for Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins to improve to the point where they are all-star caliber players. I'm not sure it matters what sort of mish-mash of mediocre players you put together if your best two players aren't all-stars.

Other than that, the small forward position has to be addressed and really needs to be an off-season priority. I was disappointed with the fact that neither Omri nor Donte really showed they can be a full-time NBA player this past season, and in fact, both showed they appear to be nothing more than marginal NBA players at best. Cisco is really a back-up.

If Cousins and Evans improve (they both have the talent and skills to be special), and we get a quality 3 in there who can shoot, I think we could win 50 games next year.

Just heard Tyreke on the Max and Marcellus show down here in LA. He's down here to promote Black Ops with DWill. They were trying to put him in a corner by insisting that he'd much rather be down here playing in Anaheim. Lol they were really bursting his bubble when it came to his confidence in speaking and the fact that he has a GF. They were giving him so much s***, it was sad and funny at the same time.

Bricklayer

The Maloofs are so full of BS. And that quote above demonstrates it. On the one hand, they're going to "spend a good portion of it" (capspace); on the other "we're very financially sound". So if you're very financially sound, Maloofs, why do you have to qualify how much you're going to spend? Already they are starting to hedge with how much they will spend. I think they're just praying that the CBA will fall in their favor so they continue to husband their cash.
Even if the team were owned by Bill Gates there would be a good reason not to spend all of the caproom. We have some VERY expensive young player reups coming up in future years. People talk about how low our salary is, but its a bit of an illusion. What we have are young players, not necessarily cheap players, and we are going to have to leave ourselves leeway to be able to handle back to back $10mil+ resignings with Reke and Cousins in a few.