[Game] Sac vs. Orl Jan 7th 7PT/10ET

Jackson was never drafted to be a star. If he ends up being a solid role player, glue guy, etc that can hit the three consistently then we got what we wanted out of the draft. Looking more and more like he can be that guy, which honestly is a pleasant surprise. Sometimes you draft a guy for team chemistry and fit and not necessarily star potential. Seems like Vlade might know a thing or two about not only identifying talent but also building a team of complementary players.
Based on JJ's performance alone, a bit early to pass that verdict, but I do agree with the sentiment overall. I think Vlade has shown a good touch with getting the folks he wanted.

Fortunately for us, he's also been incredibly lucky, moving up twice, back to back, in loaded drafts, and grabbing players like Beli after they became available by chance. Even otherwise he has done very well in many areas; fleecing Suns to get Bogi and drafting Giles with a late pick being my favorites. In fact, with every game, Buddy's play is making the DMC trade less of a sore.

Fortunately for him, the team is playing well enough that the pick we'll be giving away to Celtics will be low enough. Again, call it luck or smarts, but he'll end up looking lot better than what most of us thought at the beginning of the season.

Jackson was never drafted to be a star. If he ends up being a solid role player, glue guy, etc that can hit the three consistently then we got what we wanted out of the draft. Looking more and more like he can be that guy, which honestly is a pleasant surprise. Sometimes you draft a guy for team chemistry and fit and not necessarily star potential. Seems like Vlade might know a thing or two about not only identifying talent but also building a team of complementary players.
That’s all I ask of the guy. It’ll take a couple of them.

Based on JJ's performance alone, a bit early to pass that verdict, but I do agree with the sentiment overall. I think Vlade has shown a good touch with getting the folks he wanted.

Fortunately for us, he's also been incredibly lucky, moving up twice, back to back, in loaded drafts, and grabbing players like Beli after they became available by chance. Even otherwise he has done very well in many areas; fleecing Suns to get Bogi and drafting Giles with a late pick being my favorites. In fact, with every game, Buddy's play is making the DMC trade less of a sore.

Fortunately for him, the team is playing well enough that the pick we'll be giving away to Celtics will be low enough. Again, call it luck or smarts, but he'll end up looking lot better than what most of us thought at the beginning of the season.
I think its both smart and luck.

Luck: Moving up in last 2 drafts.
Smart: The Kings probably knew last 2 drafts would be deep and decided to rebuild.

Vlade played on a championship team (they should have won in 02) that had 1 star and a whole bunch of solid role players, that both knew their role and fit them well. He was the glue guy for that run. If anybody gets how to build and be cohesive its him. Vlade was the defacto leader/heart, and soul of that teams run.

I still trust Vlade with his choice of Bagley over Doncic FOR THIS TEAM. Vlade knew what Doncic was going to be. He chose Bagley.

Bagley does well impacting the game for the team at his position. I like Bags.

Giles tho. Whoo boy Giles. The potential is OOZING from that young man!!!

Trust me. I’m right there with you on JJ. I have not been sold, but he’s starting to come around to look like the guy I think Vlade thought he was getting. If he ends up being our high end role player, and Giles our successful shot at a high risk/high reward home run (of course in addition to fox), that draft class will be looked back on as the foundation that vaulted us forward — regardless of some of the other guys we could have had at the time.

Justin Jackson has gone from being benched for Troy Williams to integral part of the team’s future in the span of two months
Which is why I constantly preach patience and allowing things to play out. JJ still has a long ways to go and a lot to prove, but we're seeing signs of improvement. And he's only half way through season 2.

Hopefully someday the negative fans will learn not to make final judgements so darn quickly. Some of them do it as soon as GM1 of the Summer League. SMH.

If only every player came out of HS or college a completely finished product. What a world that would be, huh? :rolleyes:

This is pretty much what I described when he was drafted. As a UNC fan, I saw JJ play a lot. I've always felt he could be an important role player on a good team. For the most part, putting together all-star teams doesn't work. You gotta have guys that know their roles and fit into a team concept.

When the Lakers won titles with Shaq and Kobe, they did so with capable role players filling in the gaps. While Shaq and Kobe carried the load, it was on the strength of key plays by the likes of Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, Ron Harper, etc. that they finally conquered the mountain. W/O those key role players, the Lakers kept coming up short of their goal despite the 2 HOF players.

IMO, JJ has the look and feel of those Laker role players. He has a calm demeanor about him and has always been a winner. He's got good length and athleticism and is a smart basketball player. All the ingredients are there IMO. He just needs to continue to learn the NBA game and build his confidence.

This is pretty much what I described when he was drafted. As a UNC fan, I saw JJ play a lot. I've always felt he could be an important role player on a good team. For the most part, putting together all-star teams doesn't work. You gotta have guys that know their roles and fit into a team concept.

When the Lakers won titles with Shaq and Kobe, they did so with capable role players filling in the gaps. While Shaq and Kobe carried the load, it was on the strength of key plays by the likes of Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, Ron Harper, etc. that they finally conquered the mountain. W/O those key role players, the Lakers kept coming up short of their goal despite the 2 HOF players.

IMO, JJ has the look and feel of those Laker role players. He has a calm demeanor about him and has always been a winner. He's got good length and athleticism and is a smart basketball player. All the ingredients are there IMO. He just needs to continue to learn the NBA game and build his confidence.
I liked your analogy until you brought up the Lakers! :rolleyes:

We won!! I was there!! You're welcome!! :) :) :)

My observations/opinions:

Big win streak ahead.
Bagley back and already dialed in, I don't care what the stats say.
Fox had been TIRED. He's not regressing. Managed the game like a VETERAN. Do not underestimate this.
Team is gelling. Multiple plays for Buddy early and often. Buddy is our top scorer. Bagley/Fox will be #2... all else will sort out.
Team settled on Giles as regular rotation guy. Don't care what anyone says. Obvious to all now.
Jackson confidence/game not a fluke. Settled into productive role.

Yogi will win over Mason.

We'll win 3 of next 4 or all 4. We are legit. Body language and composure shows it. This team learns and grows. Worry not. Hope much.

I liked your analogy until you brought up the Lakers! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know. Sorry. But, honestly, one of the 1st players I thought of for Jackson was Horry. Not that Jackson will ever come close to doing what Big Shot Bob accomplished during his career, but more so in demeanor and being a glue guy or swiss army knife. He can do a little bit of everything. If JJ can develop into 1/2 the clutch player Horry was, it's all gravy ;)

I just don’t see the pick being in the top 10 and maybe not even a lottery pick. And unless Boston gets very lucky in their pick I think we can get a very good free agent of better quality instead.

With Beli getting a good run with us and our play plus a few other reasons I can see some better signings this offseason as we are quickly becoming a nice place to play with.

Watching the game last night and looking at the stats this morning a few things I read confirm what I watched.
The defense won the game for us and our backcourt play was stellar! Also some good games by many others including another very good quality game for JJ. The team looked energized last night.

I can see the coach having the discussion about how good defense leads to good things.
He may not say it outright but our missed 24 three pointers is not good. While they enjoy the fast pace sometimes it just may not be smart basketball to chuck up that shot early in the shot clock when 3 or 4 defenders are standing in the paint.

Especially since we have a decent half court offense and can usually get a open look at a 3 on most possessions.

Heck we won didn’t we!!!

Answering a few things:

1. I wanted three players from last year's draft: Doncic, Bags, & Miles. In that order. But I also had Bamba ahead of Ayton, so I qualify as someone, who liked Bamba. The most intriguing thing about him was his maturity and intelligence--Kings would've drafted Fox and him, the two most mature and intelligent players from each of their respective drafts. Thus far, Bamba's offense is effectively non-existent. His length has translated, but he has a poor understanding of defense. The road is long. Will the maturity translate?

2. As for Ayton, he is what I thought he was. A double, double machine. His size translated better than I assumed and I always felt his skill was what made him unique. Never quite understood the generational big thing--every NBA team has a big with his physical tools (WCS, for example, has better physical gifts than Ayton). And I think he lacks the functional agility to truly be great. We'll see.

3. Kings got lucky, but give them credit. They picked Fox and Bags. Stole Bogs. Targeted Buddy and traded for him. Picked JJ and Giles. Then developed each of them. There were loud proponents (here and on STR) as recent as this off season who would've traded Fox for Trae Young or Jon Isaac. And would've traded Boogie for Dragan Bender and Chriss. The grass is always greener.

4. As for last night's game, in soccer and boxing, there's a common saying that there's levels (class reveals itself throughout the course of the game/season). The Kings have clearly graduated to a new level (in the realm with playoff teams). Been a long time coming.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Answering a few things:

1. I wanted three players from last year's draft: Doncic, Bags, & Miles. In that order. But I also had Bamba ahead of Ayton, so I qualify as someone, who liked Bamba. The most intriguing thing about him was his maturity and intelligence--Kings would've drafted Fox and him, the two most mature and intelligent players from each of their respective drafts. Thus far, Bamba's offense is effectively non-existent. His length has translated, but he has a poor understanding of defense. The road is long. Will the maturity translate?

2. As for Ayton, he is what I thought he was. A double, double machine. His size translated better than I assumed and I always felt his skill was what made him unique. Never quite understood the generational big thing--every NBA team has a big with his physical tools (WCS, for example, has better physical gifts than Ayton). And I think he lacks the functional agility to truly be great. We'll see.

3. Kings got lucky, but give them credit. They picked Fox and Bags. Stole Bogs. Targeted Buddy and traded for him. Picked JJ and Giles. Then developed each of them. There were loud proponents (here and on STR) as recent as this off season who would've traded Fox for Trae Young or Jon Isaac. And would've traded Boogie for Dragan Bender and Chriss. The grass is always greener.

4. As for last night's game, in soccer and boxing, there's a common saying that there's levels (class reveals itself throughout the course of the game/season). The Kings have clearly graduated to a new level (in the realm with playoff teams). Been a long time coming.
I can’t help think that Bamba is hurt being in Orlando who does not develop their talent like they should.
Case in point, Aaron Gordon. J Isaac to an extent. Then all the other players who became better once they left Orlando.
I can’t help but think that if Gordon was with the Kings, he would be way better than he is now.

Not sure where to put this, but this was my favorite play of the night:

There was one play, in particular, that epitomized the team’s fast, fluid, unselfish style. Giles grabbed the rebound and passed to Jackson, who gave the ball up to Bjelica on the wing. Bjelica threw a bounce pass to a cutting Ferrell, who kicked it out to Bogdanovic.

Bogdanovic gave his defender an up-fake, passed the ball to Giles and got it right back on an exquisite give-and-go bounce pass in the paint. Instead of forcing up a contested shot, Bogdanovic kicked it out to Jackson, who whipped it back inside to a wide-open Bjelica for an uncontested layup.
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article224067095.html

In the preseason, Van Gundy was adamant that the Kings were never going to be a good team "until they commit to team defense and commit to unselfishly moving the ball." Last night against Orlando was good evidence that the Kings have figured out how to do both. The Kings team defense has become disruptive some of the time. They are handsy, fill passing lanes, and get in front of people. Fox had 5 steals. The defense continues to improve. The Kings have become a good passing team. Their interior passing is noticeably better. They are a good pick and roll team. They break all the time. Speed and pace are way up but turnovers are down.

Last night the Kings out rebounded Orlando 57-46. More of this please. They got 8 from Bogdan and 4 from JJ at the 3. Willie got 11, Bagley 6, Giles 6, and KK 7. This is one of the keys going forward.

The Kings have been playing well against some tough competition of late. I like Doug's assertion "do not play down to weaker teams." The Kings didn't do that last night. They played a very complete game. They were dominant in the paint while still hitting some 3s. The defense was really good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In the preseason, Van Gundy was adamant that the Kings were never going to be a good team "until they commit to team defense and commit to unselfishly moving the ball." Last night against Orlando was good evidence that the Kings have figured out how to do both. The Kings team defense has become disruptive some of the time. They are handsy, fill passing lanes, and get in front of people. Fox had 5 steals. The defense continues to improve. The Kings have become a good passing team. Their interior passing is noticeably better. They are a good pick and roll team. They break all the time. Speed and pace are way up but turnovers are down.

Last night the Kings out rebounded Orlando 57-46. More of this please. They got 8 from Bogdan and 4 from JJ at the 3. Willie got 11, Bagley 6, Giles 6, and KK 7. This is one of the keys going forward.

The Kings have been playing well against some tough competition of late. I like Doug's assertion "do not play down to weaker teams." The Kings didn't do that last night. They played a very complete game. They were dominant in the paint while still hitting some 3s. The defense was really good.
The key stat is Bogdan with 8 rebounds. It was obvious from the get-go that Joerger impressed upon the guards to go in and rebound the freaking ball. And that's exactly what they did. We haven't seen that kind of guard rebounding this year or last, except a few times from Fox. It's a welcome sight!

We won!! I was there!! You're welcome!! :) :) :)

My observations/opinions:

Big win streak ahead.
Bagley back and already dialed in, I don't care what the stats say.
Fox had been TIRED. He's not regressing. Managed the game like a VETERAN. Do not underestimate this.
Team is gelling. Multiple plays for Buddy early and often. Buddy is our top scorer. Bagley/Fox will be #2... all else will sort out.
Team settled on Giles as regular rotation guy. Don't care what anyone says. Obvious to all now.
Jackson confidence/game not a fluke. Settled into productive role.

Yogi will win over Mason.

We'll win 3 of next 4 or all 4. We are legit. Body language and composure shows it. This team learns and grows. Worry not. Hope much.
I see a 9-1 game win streak here. Loosing those last 4 how we did was like hardening your iron in the crucible. This team is stronger from it. The intensity the team brought tonight as well as progress in actually execution and focus on both sides of the floor is what I was hoping to see.

After those last few losses we could have came out of it weakened and shaken in confidence or sharper stronger, a new material of superior strength. I see the latter so far. Look out Phx we are going to stomp you next. Time for our guys to feed.

It's easy to look like you've turned a corner at home against the Magic who are on a back-to-back. Let's see if they can maintain that edge.
We have mostly beat the teams we should beat and played tough against the ones we should lose. A few blips here and there. And we've done that while hovering at or above .500 and with one of our brightest young players out for the past month.

I don't think we've turned any corners, but I do expect us to get a bunch of wins back as the season eases up and Marvin rejoins the fold (not to mention that Giles is starting to earn minutes and JJ is playing better).