rumor - NBA 3 pointers

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/10133-pointers-ON.html

Bloomberg News
Oct. 13, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The National Basketball Association is considering a plan to abolish the 3-point shot until the end of games to increase shooting percentages and make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

The NBA may ban 3-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, said in a telephone interview. The National Basketball Development League season is scheduled to begin Nov. 19.

"We've talked about it," Jackson said. "We're wrestling with the idea." He said it was too early to tell if the NBA would change the rule. OAS_AD('BoxAd')

"I don't want to jump that far ahead," he said. "It's a very radical change, certainly one that would take a great deal of time to get support if there were positive aspects."

Banning the 3-point shot until late in the game might lead to a more up-tempo style and higher shooting percentages because players would be encouraged to take shots closer to the basket. It also would stop players on fast breaks from pulling up for a shot from the three-point line instead of going for layups.

The NBA instituted the 3-point shot in 1979. Last season, teams shot a combined 34.7 percent from beyond the 3-point line, which ranges from 22 feet to 23-feet, 9-inches from the basket.

Rules Changes

Tinkering or even overhauling the rules isn't uncommon for the NBA, which altered its guidelines allowing teams to play zone defenses before the 2001-02 season. Previously, only man-to-man defense was permitted.

One of the reasons the NBA started the six-team development league in 2001 was to use it as a testing ground for rules changes, Jackson said.

Steve Kerr, who made a record 45 percent of the 3-pointers that he attempted in his career, said he supports the elimination of the long-range shot.

"I kind of liked the 3-pointer before every player on every team was a 3-point shooter," Kerr, who won five NBA championships, said in a telephone interview. "It's being shot way too often these days and it's hurting the game. I wouldn't mind seeing an experiment that gets rid of it."[/font]

G

godsthename

thats retarded

the game would be slowed down. There would be more fouls what are they going to do next increase the number of fouls to 12. plus many players and teams depend on the long ball.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, isn't the Bloomberg News where Bubba348 used to get his insider info?

The NBA may ban 3-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season...
If it's in the developmental league, it MIGHT in fact not be that bad an idea. Teach the guys the fundamentals; have them learn the game isn't about standing outside the arc and launching 3s...

piksi

Hall of Famer
That would enable teams to play "flat zone". Scores would end up being in 65 range which is OK if You like a NYK - MIA classics. All in all a brilliant Idea.

Why don't they just take away the PHYSICALITY of the game?

If you watch games from the early 80s up until the early 90s, you will notice the game is nowhere near as physical. Less contact was allowed. Why don't the refs just call more fouls and allow less contact? Then maybe that could help things a bit.

I don't see the need for eliminating the 3pt shot.

Kev.in said:
This is the type of gimmicky idea that's best applied to a sport like indoor soccer.
I have no idea what this means. A goal is worth one point in soccer, no matter where you score it from.

No 3's until last five minutes? One of the stupider ideas I have heard. Not to mention, Sacramento would be more negatively affected by this rule than any other team in the league.

Are they trying to make NBA be more like AND 1 ???

Whoever came up with this idea has absolutely no idea what basketball is all about.
To allow the zone and remove the three point like actually would make basketball look like soccer cause the scores could be 3-1 and such.

VF21 said:
If it's in the developmental league, it MIGHT in fact not be that bad an idea. Teach the guys the fundamentals; have them learn the game isn't about standing outside the arc and launching 3s...
Yeah, and we all saw how they launhched them at the Olympics. They were full of grace and style. Shooting is a lost art in US basketball. Take away 3s and there will be even more thugs without skills lumbering around the basket. Enjoy it!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
JayBird said:
... No 3's until last five minutes? One of the stupider ideas I have heard. Not to mention, Sacramento would be more negatively affected by this rule than any other team in the league.
Why Sacramento? The Kings were only 4th in the league in 3-pt FG's attempted. Seattle led the league with 23.6, more than five attempts a game more than Sacramento.

If there's any team in the league that would really suffer from the lack of a three-point shot, it's the New Orleans Hornets.

dumbest idea in the world. this would make the NBA more commercial then ever. if people thought shooting was a lost art now, it would dissapear if that happened. kids who can shoot would never be drafted. it would depend on jumping and athletic ability. truly idiotic idea.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is a certain logic here -- it has become an article of faith in the NBA that the three point line has actually HURT people learning how to shoot, because nobody ever practices an mid-range jumper anymore. They practice dunks, and then if they feel like they need to develop a jumper, they practice the three pointer (which is simply out of the range of half the people who chuck them up). Both are splashy and earn you applause and Sportscenter highlights. The "ban the three pointer" movement has always pointed to the higher scoring freer flowing era before the three pointer became common as the most desirable style of play.

Of course ignoring for a second that the three is just fun, or would be if the Antoine Walkers of the world weren't wandering down the floor to chuck them up at a 25% clip, somebody up above mentioned something significant -- back in the free flowing era, there were no zone defenses. Now that you've allowed the zone, taking away the three pointer would be ridiculous. No way to bust the zone.

I think we should do away with the 3pt shot. But instead of bringing it back in the last 5 minutes, we should have another rim and backboard come down from the rafters and be an 8-10 point shot, 20 feet high, in the last 2 minutes. That way, no team is truly out of the game, you can just jack up 10 point shots until you make them. I mean, shouldnt the NBA be more like Rock and Jock anyway? Where's Justin Timberlake and Bill Bellamy when you really need them?

:rolleyes:

yes. thats where they are experimenting with it.

taking the 3 away would take away from much of the game. who says if taking the 3 away will contribute to shooting %s? if you can't shoot, you cant shoot. be it from 15 or 20 feet, you can't shoot. if you're going to practice something, you're not just going to practice 3s. i don't like the concept of doing away with it, its fun, it requires more skill then just dunking, yes it has negatives, but i guess i'm just used to it.

JayBird said:
No 3's until last five minutes? One of the stupider ideas I have heard. Not to mention, Sacramento would be more negatively affected by this rule than any other team in the league.
I dunno, I'd think the Mavericks would feel the burn a bit more... though Steve Nash really was the master of pulling up for 3 on a fast break, and he's gone now.

I think Nash should be using all his power in the NBA to protest this idea :)

tbear03 said:
Thought this might change things:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3081774

Is the 3-pointer on its way out? There's an article today in the Arizona Republic that says the NBA is considering taking away the trey until the last five minutes of NBDL games this year.

They're trying it in the NBDL as a testing ground, testing whether it'll make the game more or less interesting, so that they decide whether or not to introduce the rule into the NBA.

Last edited:
I think this is a stupid idea...it's not that I'm biased toward a particular player scoring lots of points *wink* *wink*...hehehe, but players have to be mature enough to know their strengths. If a guy isn't good at taking threes, then he shouldn't. If he IS good at threes, then go! Leaving it for the last 5 minutes is even dumber because it will be confusing for the players and coaches. I agree with Slim...either take it out entirely or leave it alone...in my case, I say leave it alone.

A

AriesMar27

hey lets get rid of freethrows too... it was shaq's fault that the lakersshot so horribly from the line. lets not forget defensive rebounds while we're at it, that will surely improve scoring...