What is the solution for Holmes

• Stretch provision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat this year and next and then bought out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A hopeful scenario...

Richaun Holmes for Cam Reddish + Jericho Sims + Svi Mykhailuk

Reddish provides depth and length at SF. Sims replaces Holmes as the backup Center and is a good defender. Mykhailuk is there as filler but can provide some more shooting depth. I'm not sure if there are enough spots on the roster but the ESPN Trade Machine says it's feasible ($11,215,260 going out and $9,473,016 coming in).

PG: Fox.............. Davion
SG: Huerter........ Monk, Davis
SF: Barnes......... Reddish, Mykhailuk
PF: Murray......... Metu
C: Sabonis......... Sims, Len

Reddish already requested a trade this past summer, and is reportedly asking for one again as he isn't getting more playing time under Thibbs. Perhaps, the Knicks will view Holmes as a more tradable asset who they can attach to Quickley, since some of the other high-salary guys they are reportedly looking to move (Fournier and Rose) are probably viewed as negative contracts by other teams.

Last edited:
Poeltl doesn't make sense for us either.
At a 1st round pick tag, no, but just in terms of player talent? Hell yeah he does. Dude is above average in every facet of the game, but shooting. I wanted us to go get Hartenstein last off-season and he's the same player, just more polished.

He backs up Sabonis and you find ways to play them together 5-6 minutes a game.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A hopeful scenario...

Richaun Holmes for Cam Reddish + Jericho Sims + Svi Mykhailuk

Reddish provides depth and length at SF. Sims replaces Holmes as the backup Center and is a good defender. Mykhailuk is there as filler but can provide some more shooting depth. I'm not sure if there are enough spots on the roster but the ESPN Trade Machine says it's feasible ($11,215,260 going out and $9,473,016 coming in).

PG: Fox.............. Davion
SG: Huerter........ Monk, Davis
SF: Barnes......... Reddish, Mykhailuk
PF: Murray......... Metu
C: Sabonis......... Sims, Len

Reddish already requested a trade this past summer, and is reportedly asking for one again as he isn't getting more playing time under Thibbs. Perhaps, the Knicks will view Holmes as a more tradable asset who they can attach to Quickley, since some of the other high-salary guys they are reportedly looking to move (Fournier and Rose) are probably viewed as negative contracts by other teams.
We can't bring 3 players in without waiving or taking 3 back and Holmes also has a trade kicker?

Salary dump. There should be more votes for this option but I guess people are hopeful.. We have Queta who's restricted, they're gonna give him an extended look in the near future. The one thing that Holmes does provide right now is a 3rd C on the chart so Queta can get minutes in the g-league, so maybe they keep kickign the can down the road?

I will always be a fan of Richaun but this is simply not a good fit for him or the team anymore. So im all for ripping the band-aid off
ASAP. I wanted to make a thread liek this, seems like its the most relevant to this section of the forum.

It's plenty reasonable to think we can afford to add in some minor draft assets to pull it off. The risk / reward is heavily in the kings favor.

The potential of reclaiming that salary earlier than it'd come off the books if he were to stay --- could be a very big deal if leveraged right. Monte's hot right now why not try and try and let him continue to overturn the last regimes roster

Salary dump. There should be more votes for this option but I guess people are hopeful.. We have Queta who's restricted, they're gonna give him an extended look in the near future. The one thing that Holmes does provide right now is a 3rd C on the chart so Queta can get minutes in the g-league, so maybe they keep kickign the can down the road?

I will always be a fan of Richaun but this is simply not a good fit for him or the team anymore. So im all for ripping the band-aid off
ASAP. I wanted to make a thread liek this, seems like its the most relevant to this section of the forum.

It's plenty reasonable to think we can afford to add in some minor draft assets to pull it off. The risk / reward is heavily in the kings favor.

The potential of reclaiming that salary earlier than it'd come off the books if he were to stay --- could be a very big deal if leveraged right. Monte's hot right now why not try and try and let him continue to overturn the last regimes roster
I think the big question is what minor asset are we willing to give up that another team wants?

Not giving up off night for cap space
Metu? I suppose if you think Queta is ready but doubt it
TD- no
Trey Lyles- don’t think a team would want a vet in a salary dump

we don’t have a first to trade and wouldn’t do it anyway.

that leaves second round picks. Not sure if that is enticing enough to take on 2 and a half years of salary.

I think the big question is what minor asset are we willing to give up that another team wants?

Not giving up off night for cap space
Metu? I suppose if you think Queta is ready but doubt it
TD- no
Trey Lyles- don’t think a team would want a vet in a salary dump

we don’t have a first to trade and wouldn’t do it anyway.

that leaves second round picks. Not sure if that is enticing enough to take on 2 and a half years of salary.
I mean, the Det Pistons paid Bagley $40 mil/3 years and didn't get any picks out of it.

That Indy 2nd round pick is pretty enticing I'd imagine for a lot of teams. It probably still ends up top 40, even though Indy is off to a good start. And despite Holmes running his course here, I'm very confident he's still a damn good rotation player in the right spot on a still very reasonable contract.

Speaking of Detroit...

How about Richaun Holmes plus a 2nd rder in a deal for Nerlens Noel? He's signed only thru next season and would give us some much needed length in the frontcourt.

According to a report from The Athletic today, Sacramento, Miami, Dallas and Portland are interested.

Last edited:
Speaking of Detroit...

How about Richaun Holmes plus a 2nd rder in a deal for Nerlens Noel? He's signed only thru next season and would give us some much needed length in the frontcourt.

According to The Athletic, Sacramento, Miami, Dallas and Portland are interested.
Wouldn’t mind that at all. I’ve been on the record that I think Noel would be a great fit as a backup C. And he has a team option next year if we prefer to have the cap space.

I’m going to change this slightly though…

Richaun Holmes
Terence Davis
2023 SAC 2nd

for

Alec Burks
Nerlens Noel

Burks balances out our bench better than Davis as he’s got the size to play SF (6’10” wingspan and 8’7.5” standing reach). He also gives us another guy who can handle, pass, and playmake while providing solid shooting and defense. Noel gives us a long, athletic rim protector who is a lob threat on the offensive end. Both guys have team options next year allowing us more cap space if we want it.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Dellavedova
SG - Huerter / Monk / Moneke
SF - Barnes / Burks / Okpala
PF - Murray / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis / Noel / Len

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wouldn’t mind that at all. I’ve been on the record that I think Noel would be a great fit as a backup C. And he has a team option next year if we prefer to have the cap space.

Richaun Holmes
Terence Davis
2023 SAC 2nd

for

Alec Burks
Nerlens Noel

Burks balances out our bench better than Davis as he’s got the size to play SF (6’10” wingspan and 8’7.5” standing reach). He also gives us another guy who can handle, pass, and playmake while providing solid shooting and defense. Noel gives us a long, athletic rim protector who is a lob threat on the offensive end. Both guys have team options next year allowing us more cap space if we want it.

C - Sabonis / Noel / Len
We tried trading for Alec Burks to push us over the postseason finish line before. It didn’t work.

Richaun Holmes
Terence Davis
2023 SAC 2nd

for

Alec Burks
Nerlens Noel

C - Sabonis / Noel / Len
I like it! Burks well rounded offensive game could really mesh well off the bench.

Id be fine adding in more minor compensation into this deal. This would be a win-now and a more flexibility in the summer move. I'd say it's a kill 2 birds with one stone type of situation but I'm pretty sure it'd kill more than 2.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
With the Clippers looking to make a push before Kawhi and or PG get hurt again, I do wonder if a Richaun for Covington trade might make the most sense for both teams involved. Both on similar contracts (Richaun has an extra year but it’s a PO) and getting DNPs for both their squads. Covington’s gotten cast as a small ball center over the last couple of years essentially thanks to a couple of GMs refusing to acquire any actual big men for their teams in Portland and Houston but he’s still a strong team defender on the wing/as a help run protector. Richaun has experience playing in the sort of five out pick and dive offense the Clippers are trying to run and could help the Clippers as a backup center that isn’t a two way player or Nic Batum.

with the surplus of second round picks the Kings still have (we have two second round picks in each of the next three drafts AND another one in 2028), I wonder if we could attach the Indy one this year (increasingly looking like it’s going to be in the 30s) and maybe ours next season to get it done since Jerry West absolutely loves using second round picks on various fliers. Ideally we’d keep the Indy one and trade ours but I don’t wanna get too greedy here.
fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_12-14-2022_1-06-49AM.png

I'm pretty sure Alec Burks has no interest in being in Sacramento. Compare his per-36 numbers from his last stint in Sac to the rest of his per-36 numbers and tell me he wasn't sulking in his tent the entire time he was here.
ahh.. I dont think he's the grudge holding type he always struck me as rather laid back, the sample size is small compared to the 200+ games he's played since.

The main reason I disagree though is just because I think he's a veteran who wants a chance to play in the playoffs. Detroit is tanking hard right now, when he was on the Knicks not long ago he was asked to make a lot of big shots n often converted. I feel like the Kings would be a big upgrade for him as far as meaningful minutes.

Last edited:
I dont think Detroit will take on Holmes salary in the future
Noel is club option so no requirement to pay him next yr
Bey is owed 4.5 mil next yr

So Lyles, Davis, Len (All enders) both of our 2nd rd picks for:
Noel, Bey

Detroit saves 4.5M next yr, gets two 2023 2nd rd picks for 2 players they dont really want

We get upgrades at Backup C and Backup SF
Resign Barnes and Metu
Get Sasha for Exception
Still have our 1st next yr
Add 2024 2nd to dump Holmes contract

Fox,Davion,Delly
Huerter,Monk
Barnes,Bey,Okpala
Murray,Sasha,Metu
Sabonis,Noel,Queta
1st rd pick-Wing

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
With the Clippers looking to make a push before Kawhi and or PG get hurt again, I do wonder if a Richaun for Covington trade might make the most sense for both teams involved. Both on similar contracts (Richaun has an extra year but it’s a PO) and getting DNPs for both their squads. Covington’s gotten cast as a small ball center over the last couple of years essentially thanks to a couple of GMs refusing to acquire any actual big men for their teams in Portland and Houston but he’s still a strong team defender on the wing/as a help run protector. Richaun has experience playing in the sort of five out pick and dive offense the Clippers are trying to run and could help the Clippers as a backup center that isn’t a two way player or Nic Batum.

with the surplus of second round picks the Kings still have (we have two second round picks in each of the next three drafts AND another one in 2028), I wonder if we could attach the Indy one this year (increasingly looking like it’s going to be in the 30s) and maybe ours next season to get it done since Jerry West absolutely loves using second round picks on various fliers. Ideally we’d keep the Indy one and trade ours but I don’t wanna get too greedy here.
View attachment 11373
I'd do this. Especially if we keep the best of our second rounders in the deal. (We have our's and Indy's, right?)

Can a player waive his player option at any time? His contract might be easier to move if he did so. Now he might not want to do that since it’s unlikely he will command that type of money again but could consider it if it means being unglued from the pine.

Holmes and a bunch of 2nd rounders (or a future protected first way down the line) for Bamba?

Looks like Mo can't be traded til January 14th.

There are teams like the Lakers and Clippers, as well as Toronto, Sacramento and Brooklyn, that front-office personnel expect to sniff around the big-man market ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline and may be willing to cough up a pair of second-round choices for Bamba.
- via Jake Fischer at Yahoo

Man would I be so hyped if that deal went down. Mo is built to play with stars who can pass like De'Aaron and Sabonis.

Holmes and a bunch of 2nd rounders (or a future protected first way down the line) for Bamba?

Looks like Mo can't be traded til January 14th.

- via Jake Fischer at Yahoo

Man would I be so hyped if that deal went down. Mo is built to play with stars who can pass like De'Aaron and Sabonis.
it will be interesting to see what happens in Orlando. Mo Wagner has been really good and is only 25 and now Carter Jr is returning. If they start Carter Paolo and Franz they can have Mo W come off the bench again. At that point Bamba will prob not be playing at all.

it will be interesting to see what happens in Orlando. Mo Wagner has been really good and is only 25 and now Carter Jr is returning. If they start Carter Paolo and Franz they can have Mo W come off the bench again. At that point Bamba will prob not be playing at all.
Guess the question is how good can Bamba be if he can't even beat out Mo Wagner for playing time?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Guess the question is how good can Bamba be if he can't even beat out Mo Wagner for playing time?
I dunno. I mean, how good can Richaun Holmes be if he can't even beat out Chimezie Metu for playing time (and now, apparently Neemias Queta)? We've seen him play for a few years here, he's better than that. Some guys, for whatever reason, need a change in scenery. Now, I'm not going to say that I have any insight into whether Bamba would be better served on the Kings than on the Magic, or worse, or the same...but it's not a ridiculous idea that he could be an answer at backup C for us.

I dunno. I mean, how good can Richaun Holmes be if he can't even beat out Chimezie Metu for playing time (and now, apparently Neemias Queta)? We've seen him play for a few years here, he's better than that. Some guys, for whatever reason, need a change in scenery. Now, I'm not going to say that I have any insight into whether Bamba would be better served on the Kings than on the Magic, or worse, or the same...but it's not a ridiculous idea that he could be an answer at backup C for us.
It's not like it's the change in coaching staff. His degraded play started last year with the eye injury and personal issues. Even before the Sabonis trade.

Holmes isn't the same player after he had that eye injury. The drop off in his play was drastic from that point onward. We've seen him play at much higher levels before but he has looked bad about 90% of the time since then. No idea why he went from solid player to cooked over the course of a few weeks, but he did. Maybe a change of scenery helps both players but I'm not counting on it.

I'd take Bamba in a second just to see what he's got but I would be shocked if Holmes nets us anything of value on the market. We're trying to trade 2020 Holmes when what we currently have is the ghost of what Holmes used to be.