Richaun Holmes

What is the solution for Holmes

• Stretch provision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat this year and next and then bought out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted for traded in the off-season. His contract is negative value at the moment so I don’t think he can fetch an asset but I don’t think we have the assets to pull off a trade this deadline. (With no first round picks)

our best bet might be to trade him with our first round pick (we draft for someone) for a piece

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I voted "traded for a minor asset". I figure it will be at the deadline this year. I'm sure he would like out at this point, since we're not giving him any PT. (Serious question - have his parents been doing their "we win" celebrations since he's been benched? I haven't seen anybody post them.) But I just can't see a guy riding the pine fetching a serious asset in return. Sure, he could be packaged as a salary piece in a bigger deal, but the way things are going right now, I don't really think we're going to be looking at bigger deals. The chemistry is really working right now...who would be possibly ship off as an asset?

Yeh it is going to be tough. Even if we hope to trade our drafted 23 pick we might not have enough salary to send out to bring in the type of player we want. I sure hope he doesn’t ride the pine for 3 years

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
I think we find a deal after the 15th for some minor trade. Maybe a cap dump, maybe we attach a future 2nd or something. But far worse players with far worse contracts get traded all the time; I find it hard to believe no one would take Holmes. I think just unfortunately, we won't get near the value for him that he was actually worth the last few years

I wonder if we could trade Holmes and 2 second rounders for Poeltl.

Spurs get 2 picks for a player they don’t plan to sign, can rebuild Holmes value for maybe another couple seconds in future drafts and have some salary for matching in a trade if it comes up without committing long term money

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Spurs get 2 picks for a player they don’t plan to sign, can rebuild Holmes value for maybe another couple seconds in future drafts and have some salary for matching in a trade if it comes up without committing long term money
I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I can't really see the Spurs biting. Even if they don't get other suitors, if they don't plan on resigning Poeltl why would they take on two years and about $24M to get a couple of second rounders? Couldn't they find a better deal at the deadline, somebody offering a late first for a solid big man to prop up a playoff run? I mean, do they really *want* Holmes on the off chance they need salary for another trade? Would they play him? Wouldn't they just sign a league-min guy rather than commit that kind of money? (Apparently I only have questions, no answers.)

I don't know. As good as he was early in his Kings tenure, Holmes was not good last year, and now he can't crack the rotation. Maybe it's just that he's a terrible fit for Brown's team and needs to find a place where his role fits, and he's back to providing $12M worth of value. Maybe other teams still see him as a useful piece. But it kinda seems like he's just washed up. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't know.

Have we seen anything to indicate that Poeltl is a more valuable center than Alex Len?

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I can't really see the Spurs biting. Even if they don't get other suitors, if they don't plan on resigning Poeltl why would they take on two years and about $24M to get a couple of second rounders? Couldn't they find a better deal at the deadline, somebody offering a late first for a solid big man to prop up a playoff run? I mean, do they really *want* Holmes on the off chance they need salary for another trade? Would they play him? Wouldn't they just sign a league-min guy rather than commit that kind of money? (Apparently I only have questions, no answers.)

I don't know. As good as he was early in his Kings tenure, Holmes was not good last year, and now he can't crack the rotation. Maybe it's just that he's a terrible fit for Brown's team and needs to find a place where his role fits, and he's back to providing $12M worth of value. Maybe other teams still see him as a useful piece. But it kinda seems like he's just washed up. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't know.
yeh all good questions. I’m not sure there is a contender out there that will give a first round pick for a center on an expiring deal.

here are all the teams that are .500 or better. The ones not in red are the only teams I think might be interested in a backup center this year. Don’t think any of them have loose first rounders to give up. Now the spurs could just let him walk but they have too much cap space and probably aren’t ready to make a big signing. So maybe on a couple second rounders? 7F377528-5FD3-4FC4-A995-829752B23317.jpeg

he is a good passer, good rebounder and at least competent on defense. He’s 13 and 10 on the season which is solid even on a bad team
It seems like a lateral move at best. Len would put up those stats on the Spurs, given the same playing time. He's also played well for us in both stints that he's had the opportunity to play. I'd give him another look, since he's at least got value against the bigger 5's in the league. If Brown has decided that he doesn't fit enough to ever play, then someone like Poeltl wouldn't fit either

It seems like a lateral move at best. Len would put up those stats on the Spurs, given the same playing time. He's also played well for us in both stints that he's had the opportunity to play. I'd give him another look, since he's at least got value against the bigger 5's in the league. If Brown has decided that he doesn't fit enough to ever play, then someone like Poeltl wouldn't fit either
I don’t think Len would average 3.5 assists a game if given a chance. Poeltl would make a great back up to Sabonis imo but the main reason to do the deal is to free up more cap space by unloading Holmes.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don’t think there’s a way to deal him but as an expiring next year he may have more value. We are stuck with him for the time being I think

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This is unfortunately a conversation that's about one deadline too late. As soon as they trade for Domas Monte had to move Holmes. Now the hope is that a team gets desperate. The Clipps sure could use someone like him. Lets hope their backup C situation looks as ugly as it has so far. If Leonard keeps on being the sour puss then they won't be an option.

This is unfortunately a conversation that's about one deadline too late. As soon as they trade for Domas Monte had to move Holmes. Now the hope is that a team gets desperate. The Clipps sure could use someone like him. Lets hope their backup C situation looks as ugly as it has so far. If Leonard keeps on being the sour puss then they won't be an option.
IIRC, Holmes was hurt at the deadline last year right? Or he was like just coming back off the eye injury? I remember he played a bit as the Sabonis back-up, but then got hurt pretty quickly right after. Just a total lost year for him

IIRC, Holmes was hurt at the deadline last year right? Or he was like just coming back off the eye injury? I remember he played a bit as the Sabonis back-up, but then got hurt pretty quickly right after. Just a total lost year for him
yes he got hit in the eye multiple times and never quite got back in the groove, then we learned about the family court stuff, in the worst possible of ways because the Bee reporter decided to editorialize her information, which made him completely untradeable.

yes he got hit in the eye multiple times and never quite got back in the groove, then we learned about the family court stuff, in the worst possible of ways because the Bee reporter decided to editorialize her information, which made him completely untradeable.
Right. After the bashings to his eye, it turned into a scary situation where his doctor told him that he'd need to wear glasses when he plays or risk going blind in that eye. He's never looked the same since

Yes. He's significantly better in every facet. I'd be surprised if Len gets an NBA contract next year.
I see it a little different and view Len as serviceable backup in the NBA. He could contribute to a team, including the Kings, if given the chance in the right spots, like he did for this team on a couple different stretches. For this unit, that simply would start by playing him against the bigger centers, especially when Sabonis gets in foul trouble and/or size is hurting us on the boards against Metu