Richaun Holmes

What is the solution for Holmes

• Stretch provision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat this year and next and then bought out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Athletic proposed a Holmes for Bertans trade. Any thoughts? He has an early termination option so he’s essentially an expiring contract. 3 pt percentage returned to normal. The other plus is he makes 17 mil so salary matching on a bigger deadline deal might be easier.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Athletic proposed a Holmes for Bertans trade. Any thoughts? He has an early termination option so he’s essentially an expiring contract. 3 pt percentage returned to normal. The other plus is he makes 17 mil so salary matching on a bigger deadline deal might be easier.
Hoopshype shows Bertans on a player option at $16M for '24-'25. If correct he's essentially *not* an expiring contract, which would seem to be the point here. "He'll play the same number of minutes as Richaun, but cost more on the same number of years" doesn't really seem like a draw.

Hoopshype shows Bertans on a player option at $16M for '24-'25. If correct he's essentially *not* an expiring contract, which would seem to be the point here. "He'll play the same number of minutes as Richaun, but cost more on the same number of years" doesn't really seem like a draw.
Yeh if that is true it’s a no go for sure. It’s listed as an “eto” on spotrac which is something I’ve never seen before. I’ve only seen PO for player option but maybe it’s something slightly different.

Here is what the Athletic says “ MAVERICKS’ PERSPECTIVE: This deal has Dallas exchanging an expiring contract for a reclamation project with two years left at a lower salary number — about $5 million less than Bertāns”

On further thought I guess it’s one those rare deals where the the last year is not the option. Probably just a slip up on the part of the Athletic author.

Upon further investigation, Bertans contract is only guaranteed for 5 mil in 24/25. If he plays in 62 games this next year it becomes fully guaranteed.

Wow, Bertan's is an incredibly terrible contract. How does any NBA GM give him a multiple year $16 mil/year contract!

I'll stick to Holmes $12 million per year contract, thank you!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The best bet is to either dump Holmes on draft night, or if not possible, just bite the bullet and see if he can be that backup C the Kings need. That would mean letting someone like Lyles go probably though. If Holmes is on the roster and still has any shot at playing time then busting more cap in players that will just get in the way of that is bad money. I'm not sure of the benefits of stretching Holmes unless the Kings plan on needing cap space or are being cheap.

The best bet is to either dump Holmes on draft night, or if not possible, just bite the bullet and see if he can be that backup C the Kings need. That would mean letting someone like Lyles go probably though. If Holmes is on the roster and still has any shot at playing time then busting more cap in players that will just get in the way of that is bad money. I'm not sure of the benefits of stretching Holmes unless the Kings plan on needing cap space or are being cheap.
I think Holmes would be serviceable with a Bogdan playmaker off the bench. Monk is sort of a streaky playmaker who built a good connection with Metu and even Len but had zero connection with Richaun.

i would actually like to see Holmes on the floor with Huerter more if Holmes is going to play and we’re not going to add any other playmaker to the bench. I suspect Monk will still be the primary ball handler of the second unit next season.

I remember the @Lakers game without Sabonis which was by far Holmes best game last season..Kevin Huerter actually was able to get the ball to Holmes in good sports that seemed more like Bogdan or Tyrese. Huerter had 8 assists in that game..5 of them to Richaun. All of his assisted field goals were from Huerter.

but Huerter’s rest usually coincides with Domas and the DHO is of greater importance than having somebody who can actually get Richaun the ball in his comfort zone.

Huerter is underutilized as a playmaker(and iso) though. Maybe adding Sasha and maybe another off ball catch and shooter will allow for Brown to be more flexible with how he uses Huerter.

anyway, Holmes also needs to rebound much better to get in the game even if they find ways to get him to be an effective rim runner again. He would go several minutes with no rebounds.

The problem now with Holmes is the Trey Lyles at the 5 combos. We not only just saw that hold the line with Domas out, but it was flat out the reason we won game 6 on the road. That just has to be the plan going forward from Brown. His fit there with Fox and Monk running the 2nd unit was so freaking good