Prospects that are projected to be drafted in the 2nd round:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
At this point in time, no player is locked into a set draft position, but most of the players I list in this thread are likely second rounders. So without further ado, I'll start with:

Kofi Cockburn: Center, 7'0", 285 lbs, 7'6" wingspan, Sophmore, Illinios.
26.7 mpg - 17.3 ppg - 69.2% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 56.3% ftp - 10.1 rpg - 1.4 blk's pg

Kofi never touched a basketball until he was 13 years old. Before that, he played mostly soccer. He's originally from Jamaica and moved over to the United States to start his freshman year of highschool as a very raw and skinny 6"8" C/PF. By the time he finished his senior year he was 7'0" and weighed close to 300 lb's. When he was recruited by Illinios, he was looked at as a lump of clay waiting to be sculped. And now he's a player that's rising up the draft boards in a draft where it's going to be difficult for him to break into the 1st rd.

In fact he's till a raw player by NBA standards, but he's full of potential. One thing he has going for him is excellent foot work, probably due to his soccer background. He has quick feet and is very agile for a now 285 lb big man. He's not a 3 pt shooter, but he does have a nice mid-range shot he's developing. He's a player that would need some developing, but the reward could be worth it.

Remember, this video only shows the good stuff, but it does show what he's capable of. Give him a couple of years and have him cut hid weight down another 10 or 15 pounds, and he could be a very good player. Remember, were talking 2nd rd here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
soccer upbringing and from Jamaica....seems like genetically he grew into his body and that home cooking that Jamaican's eat ought to do any fellow some good. seems like an intriguing prospect for a team who is patient and can polish his game

At this point in time, no player is locked into a set draft position, but most of the players I list in this thread are likely second rounders. So without further ado, I'll start with:

Kofi Cockburn: Center, 7'0", 285 lbs, 7'6" wingspan, Sophmore, Illinios.
26.7 mpg - 17.3 ppg - 69.2% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 56.3% ftp - 10.1 rpg - 1.4 blk's pg

Kofi never touched a basketball until he was 13 years old. Before that, he played mostly soccer. He's originally from Jamaica and moved over to the United States to start his freshman year of highschool as a very raw and skinny 6"8" C/PF. By the time he finished his senior year he was 7'0" and weighed close to 300 lb's. When he was recruited by Illinios, he was looked at as a lump of clay waiting to be sculped. And now he's a player that's rising up the draft boards in a draft where it's going to be difficult for him to break into the 1st rd.

In fact he's till a raw player by NBA standards, but he's full of potential. One thing he has going for him is excellent foot work, probably due to his soccer background. He has quick feet and is very agile for a now 285 lb big man. He's not a 3 pt shooter, but he does have a nice mid-range shot he's developing. He's a player that would need some developing, but the reward could be worth it.

Remember, this video only shows the good stuff, but it does show what he's capable of. Give him a couple of years and have him cut hid weight down another 10 or 15 pounds, and he could be a very good player. Remember, were talking 2nd rd here.
What to you think the odds are that he stays in school for another year?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What to you think the odds are that he stays in school for another year?
Good question, and I don't have any insights into the answer. If I were him, I would stay another year. He's grown a lot in his two years at Illinois, and one more year might get him into the 1st year. If not, he's certainly someone worth investing in.

The 12 year old me would love to take him. The potential nicknames alone may make it worthwhile.

I haven't seen any of his games yet. I'll be watching out for Cockburn going forward.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The 12 year old me would love to take him. The potential nicknames alone may make it worthwhile.

I haven't seen any of his games yet. I'll be watching out for Cockburn going forward.
Well sadly for him he got outplayed by Garza again. But Garza is a very crafty center who can spin you in circles in the post. He used Cockburn' inexperience against him. Doesn't lessen Cockburn's potential though. I'll certainly continue to follow his progress.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well sadly for him he got outplayed by Garza again. But Garza is a very crafty center who can spin you in circles in the post. He used Cockburn' inexperience against him. Doesn't lessen Cockburn's potential though. I'll certainly continue to follow his progress.
Speaking of the same game, what do you think about Wieskamp? I kind of go back and forth about whether he's a second rounder or not. Definitely can shoot, seems athletic enough, but I go back and forth about whether he's too one-dimensional or if his other contributions are sufficient enough for a team to give him a shot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Speaking of the same game, what do you think about Wieskamp? I kind of go back and forth about whether he's a second rounder or not. Definitely can shoot, seems athletic enough, but I go back and forth about whether he's too one-dimensional or if his other contributions are sufficient enough for a team to give him a shot.
Wieskamp can certainly shoot the ball. I think he's averaging around 45% from the three, and he's a good rebounder for his position. He can play SG or SF. Not a particularly good passer, but is an adequate defender. I have him going in the 2nd rd, and he might be on the bubble there. He's a junior, and being an average to slightly above average athlete he'll have to convince scouts that there's more to his game than shooting. Do I think he can play in the NBA? Yeah I do, but he needs a bit of luck and the right team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Luka Garza: Center, 6'11", 265 Lb's, Senior, Iowa.
30.8 mpg - 25.3 ppg - 57.1% fgp - 43.8% 3pp - 72.3% ftp - 8.5 rpg - 1.8 apg - 1.6 blk's

When you look at Garza's stat line, you wonder how in the hell can this guy be a 2nd pick? Well, first he's a senior, and 2nd, he as something like a 12" vertical. I might be exaggerating a tad, but Garza's strength is not his athleticism. At the same time, he has a usage rate of 32%, which I believe is the highest in college. Give him the ball within 5 feet of the basket, and you can already count the points, that's how effective he is in the post. A lot of it has to do with his strength. He is constantly doubled and tripled in the post, but he scores up through the defenders anyway.

As a bonus he can help spread the floor by shooting 43% from the three, and he takes over three a game. He also has a step back fade away 10 to 12 footer that he's deadly with. He's a scoring machine, and will that translate to the NBA is a good question, but he has outplayed some very athletic big men, like Kofi Cockburn, so I think it will. I'd certainly have no problem taking him in the 2nd rd. I wouldn't call him a great passer, but he makes the safe pass, and will kick the ball out of the post to the open man. Believe me, he creates a lot of open shots for his teammates.

Garza is one of the most consistent players in college and has been for quite a while now. Wouldn't mind him coming off the bench for some instant offense. Besides, it might appease those that are still lusting for a player named Luka. :p

I hope he comes back for his senior season as I’m not confident in his Nba prospects. I see him along the same lines as former Hawkeye Jarrod Utoff as far as impact

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sandro Mamukelashvili: Center, 6'11", 240 Lb's, Senior, Seton Hall.
34.8 mpg - 17.6 ppg - 45.5% fgp - 33.7% 3pp - 76.9% ftp - 7.2 rpg - 3.2 apg - 1.1 stl's.

Eventually I see Sandro as a solid backup center in the NBA. He's actually quite talented for a 6'11" player. He has excellent handles and a quick first step, allowing him to take most defenders off the dribble. He's a very good passer and a player you could run the ball through. Although his 3 pt average is only 33.7%, he shot close to 40% his junior year. He has good form on his shot, and I think his percentage drop came from taking more three's, and also taking some bad shots. But he has good potential to be a floor spreading big man.

He's also a good rebounder and has shown to have good court vision. He needs to improve on the defensive side of the ball. He's not terrible, but he's strong and sneaky mobile, so he should be able to defend the post better. I like Mamu quite a bit. He's improved every year, which is what your looking for, and I'm always amazed how he's able to blow by defenders on the perimeter. He's a player that could come in and give you some minutes off the bench right away.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jay Huff: Center, 7'1", 240 Lb's, Senior, Virginia.
27,0 mpg - 13.6 ppg - 60.5% fgp - 41.5% 3pp - 82.9% ftp - 7.0 rpg - 1.0 apg - 2.5 blocks per game.

Personally, I'm not sure what to make of Huff. Every time I see him play, he does something that impresses me. He defends the basket extremely well, and playing for Virginia, he's in one of the toughest conferences, the ACC. He appears to be a good athlete with excellent timing on blocking shots. He's also, at least at the college level, a good help defender, sometimes coming across the entire floor to block a shot. He's not a slouch offensively as you can see by his 41.5% three pt average, and he takes over two a game.

He has good footwork around the basket with drop steps, reverse spin moves and Vlade's up and under. He's projected to go from the middle to late 2nd rd. I see him as a possible future backup center who can score a little, rebound, and defend the rim. Like Mamukelashvili, he's a senior, and more ready to play. In some aspects, they're similar players, but Mamu is a far better passer. I'd like to see Huff add a little muscle and get stronger which would likely happen once in the NBA. It would probably help with his rebounding as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ariel Hukporti: Center, 7'0", 250 Lb's, 7'1" Wingspan, 19 yr's old, BBA Ludwigsburg.
15.7 mpg - 13.0 ppg - 68.8% fgp - 66.7% 3pp -6.0 rpg - 1.5 steals - 2.0 blocks.

Unlike the last few posts of possible 2nd centers, Ariel is more of a work in progress, but then he's only 19 years old. He's an above average athlete who runs the floor well, and is quick off his feet. He has good shotblocking instincts and defends well around the basket. He's also a very good per minute rebounder. He struggles a bit defensively when stuck on the perimeter in isolation, particularly when guarding a smaller quicker player. However, he is good in pursuit and gets a good share of his blocks from behind. Hukporti is a borderline 2nd/1st round player. Some team at the bottom of the first round might take a flyer on him as a future prospect.

His idol is Giannis Antetokounmpo, and that's who he models his game after. While his asperations are admirable, he has a ways to go. If by some chance he slides into the 2nd round, his upside is worth gambling on. Don't be fooled by that gaudy three point percentage, he's taken very few this year. He needs to improve his handles, and his passing, which is almost non existent. But he loves basketball, and wants to be an all star in the NBA. He's blessed with natural talent, so if he puts in the work, who knows how good he could be.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
admittedly, I haven't watched much college hoops this season but I'm watching this game between Texas and Oklahoma State and I'm impressed by what I'm seeing from Jericho Sims. Big body, defends, rebounds, knows his role. What are the chances he slips to the second round?

admittedly, I haven't watched much college hoops this season but I'm watching this game between Texas and Oklahoma State and I'm impressed by what I'm seeing from Jericho Sims. Big body, defends, rebounds, knows his role. What are the chances he slips to the second round?
I can't believe how much he's filled out.

was he skinny last season?
I haven't really followed him much since his first year because he was fairly hyped coming out of high school then never got a real chance early, but he didn't look like he does for sure. He better get his blood cleaned before the draft if you get my drift.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I haven't really followed him much since his first year because he was fairly hyped coming out of high school then never got a real chance early, but he didn't look like he does for sure. He better get his blood cleaned before the draft if you get my drift.
could just be hard work and not eating a college students diet. Especially with his height he has a lot of room to pack on muscle especially at such a young age. I mean look at Isaiah Stewart, rookie from the Detroit Pistons. The broadcast team said he is only 19 years old but the dude has a body of a 6 year vet already, just imagine if he continues to add more mass and strength. Ben Wallace part II.

1615687327152.png

could just be hard work and not eating a college students diet. Especially with his height he has a lot of room to pack on muscle especially at such a young age. I mean look at Isaiah Stewart, rookie from the Detroit Pistons. The broadcast team said he is only 19 years old but the dude has a body of a 6 year vet already, just imagine if he continues to add more mass and strength. Ben Wallace part II.

View attachment 10475
Well, regardless hard work is still required. That's the thing, Stewart was a born a beast. Sims kind of looked like Willie Cauley-Stein at the same age. He's freaking Dwight Howard level now, haha. Good for him. If the Kings could nab him in the 2nd that would awesome. He still has some untapped potential too even as a full career college player I think.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, regardless hard work is still required. That's the thing, Stewart was a born a beast. Sims kind of looked like Willie Cauley-Stein at the same age. He's freaking Dwight Howard level now, haha. Good for him. If the Kings could nab him in the 2nd that would awesome. He still has some untapped potential too even as a full career college player I think.
Sim's will certainly be available in the 2nd rd. Truth is, he's likely to go undrafted. Not a knock on him. He's done a great job of reshaping his body and improving his game. But after 4 years of college basketball, he's still considered a project by most teams. Personally I much rather use a 2nd rd draft pick on Kofi Cockburn of Illinois, who did a great job of shutting down Luka Garza yesterday. You want a big body? He certainly fills the bill. 7 foot, 300 Lb's, and no fat on him. And he's surprisingly agile at that size. He out quicked Garza time and time again on offense.

Sim's will certainly be available in the 2nd rd. Truth is, he's likely to go undrafted. Not a knock on him. He's done a great job of reshaping his body and improving his game. But after 4 years of college basketball, he's still considered a project by most teams. Personally I much rather use a 2nd rd draft pick on Kofi Cockburn of Illinois, who did a great job of shutting down Luka Garza yesterday. You want a big body? He certainly fills the bill. 7 foot, 300 Lb's, and no fat on him. And he's surprisingly agile at that size. He out quicked Garza time and time again on offense.
I watched the Illinois/Rutgers game the other day and Cockburn looked massive out there. My first thought was maybe he just looked big because Rutgers' center was small, but I looked him up and he was 6'11, 250 lbs. Cockburn simply made him look small. Would love to have him coming off the bench.

i think filip petrušev is an interesting pick if he falls to mid/late second round. especially if he gets undrafted. since he's 21 yrs old and give up playing on gonzaga, everything is possible.

now i'm not rooting that we should aquire as many serbs as possible, but i am rooting in favour of a high IQ players and good passers. and in case of our franchise, NBA ready players.

Strengths: Mobile big, with good size … Already has an NBA body, a bulked frame with nice wide shoulders and long arms … Has a great feel for the game and a high basketball I.Q … Has a lot of finesse to his game... Can finish at the rim with either hand … Has a dependable hook shot with either hand … Good screener in Pick and Roll situations, who rolls hard to the basket … Can also do a short roll after setting a screen and either shoot from mid-range, or pass the ball … Above average passer while posting up, finds the open teammate consistently … etc

Weaknesses: Can have stretches in a game where he disappears and isn’t as involved as he should be …He has the tendency to finish plays with the least amount of energy necessary, preferring a lay-up from a dunk, making it easier for his opponents to stop him … Not a real threat from the perimeter for now … His free throw shooting remains inconsistent … Turnover prone, either because he has the tendency to telegraph his passes or because he tries passes that just aren’t there … Can be bullied in the post despite his size and body … Has problems boxing out strong opponents …
this one is bit older, mostly based on his NCAA games, but i think he excelled meanwhile https://www.nbadraft.net/players/filip-petrusev/

brand new one https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/filip-petrusev-scouting-report/

pink shirt, wearing number 3.

and that club, mega, is like NCAA extension team in europe

Nikola Jokic certainly highlights the list of Mega players selected in past drafts. Add Goga Bitadze, Vlatko Cancar, Nemanja Dangubic, Ognjen Jaramaz, Alpha Kaba, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Vasilije Micic, Milovan Rakovic, Marko Simonovic, Rade Zagorac, and Ivica Zubac in the pack continuously growing in recent years.

Would love to snatch up Ron Harper Jr with one of the later second round picks. He's raw, but rare to see dudes that big with that type of fluidity. Draft him, throw him the in G-League for a year. Might develop into a Bonzi Wells/Ron Ron type. Should be a tight end or OT.

I watched the Illinois/Rutgers game the other day and Cockburn looked massive out there. My first thought was maybe he just looked big because Rutgers' center was small, but I looked him up and he was 6'11, 250 lbs. Cockburn simply made him look small. Would love to have him coming off the bench.
Cockburn would be a top 10 pick in the 90s. Wrong era,. Would love to snatch him up with a late first (trade up/trade for one of the Kings) or early second. The type of player, who Toronto would draft They like those physical wing/interior types.

Cockburn would be a top 10 pick in the 90s. Wrong era,. Would love to snatch him up with a late first (trade up/trade for one of the Kings) or early second. The type of player, who Toronto would draft They like those physical wing/interior types.
Those are my thoughts as well. He seems a bit raw on offense (limited viewing) with only average touch around the basket. Most seem to have him in the 2nd round. Grab him with one of the Kings' 3 picks and let him come off the bench for about 15-20 minutes. He will rebound, play defense and clog up the lane.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about this year’s draft is that it looks like there is going to be an absolute glut of interesting (slightly older) bigs there to be had in the middle to end of the second round. Queta, Cockburn, Petrusev, Mamukelashvili (I had to google that like ten times to make sure I spelled that right), even Luka Garza all have particular skill sets and bodies that could take off in the right situation in the NBA. As a fan of a team with lacking big depth and a bunch of second round picks, I am glad.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Most mocks have Cockburn going in the 2nd rd, but it's possible that a team like the Clippers or the Lakers would grab him since both need help in the big man dept. However, if he's there in the 2nd rd when we pick I would certainly grab him. He's a late bloomer as well, so he likely has a bit of upside left in the tank.

I'm a huge fan of Mamukelashvili's. I prefer to call him Sandro so I don't swallow my tongue trying to pronounce his name. I think he's very underrated and very skilled for big man. He's surprising quick for his size and shows good lateral quickness when defending on the perimeter. He's shown the ability to shoot the three, and he's capable of putting the ball on the floor. He's also a high IQ guy. He's someone else I would target in the 2nd rd.

I'm not as high on Petrusev. Not nearly as mobile as Cockburn or Sandro. He's a bit stiff around the basket and doesn't have a lot of game away from it. Centers aside, Another player I like in the 2nd is Tre Mann the 6'5" combo guard from Florida. excellent athlete who can play both guard positions. He turns the ball over more than I like, but he has a lot of upside. He's 1st rd talent in my opinion, as may be his running mate, Scottie Lewis.