Players likely to be in the 2nd round:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Sometimes I wonder if you have any practical knowledge of playing the game. Reaction time is always poor when adjusting to the speed of the game. For instance, Queta looked out of sorts his first game and a half in the G League, then he adjusted to the speed and looked like the player he was in college. He started to show the same adjustments in his last game with the Kings. Unfortunately, he didn't get enough playing time to see. I do know this, there have been a lot of players that didn't look great in their first games in the NBA that turned into good players.
You make it sound like anyone can adjust to the speed of the game. Turn the dial, and voila! Obviously, as one who does have the practical knowledge of the game that you profess, you must have insight into what players can succeed in turning the dial and what players fail. So regale me with your knowledge, oh Telemachus. What exactly gives you the confidence that Queta can turn the dial where many others of his ilk have not? I'd really like to know how you discern this latent talent that isn't obvious to those without practical experience.

You make it sound like anyone can adjust to the speed of the game. Turn the dial, and voila! Obviously, as one who does have the practical knowledge of the game that you profess, you must have insight into what players can succeed in turning the dial and what players fail. So regale me with your knowledge, oh Telemachus. What exactly gives you the confidence that Queta can turn the dial where many others of his ilk have not? I'd really like to know how you discern this latent talent that isn't obvious to those without practical experience.
Did you miss the part where I mentioned he has already shown that he can adjust? He made the adjustment by his third game in the G League. He was showing the same type of adjustments for the Kings in the final game of the season.

This is nothing new. Big men tend to take time to get up to speed in the NBA. Damien Jones started looking like a legitimate rotation player this season for the Kings. He is 26 and just finished his 6th season. Jakob Proeltl became a starter at center last season for SA and became more of an impact player this year. He is also 26 and just finished his sixth season. You don't give up on young talented big men if you have a choice. It may come back to bite you. Time will tell how good Queta will become, but giving up on him based on some limited playing time at the end of the season is short-sighted.
I see people wonder why teams like Miami, SA and Toronto seem to keep finding these players out of nowhere. It's because they show a great deal of patience allowing young players to develop. Not all of them pan out, but enough do to make their patience worthwhile.

And if we had a team culture that encouraged development and players understood hard work in Stockton leads to the NBA - we might have a lot more rotational players. Wasn’t Gabe Vincent in our system (now starting for the Heat in the playoffs)?

And if we had a team culture that encouraged development and players understood hard work in Stockton leads to the NBA - we might have a lot more rotational players. Wasn’t Gabe Vincent in our system (now starting for the Heat in the playoffs)?
Yep. We had him playing for our G League team for 2 seasons I believe. We had zero roster spots and Vlade wouldn't clear one for us to sign him. Miami signed him during the season and next thing you know, he is playing important minutes for them in the playoffs.

That is one of the main reasons we have Rico Hines on our coaching staff now. I have also noticed that Monte is more than willing to cut a player to add one he thinks might be better.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did you miss the part where I mentioned he has already shown that he can adjust? He made the adjustment by his third game in the G League. He was showing the same type of adjustments for the Kings in the final game of the season.

This is nothing new. Big men tend to take time to get up to speed in the NBA. Damien Jones started looking like a legitimate rotation player this season for the Kings. He is 26 and just finished his 6th season. Jakob Proeltl became a starter at center last season for SA and became more of an impact player this year. He is also 26 and just finished his sixth season. You don't give up on young talented big men if you have a choice. It may come back to bite you. Time will tell how good Queta will become, but giving up on him based on some limited playing time at the end of the season is short-sighted.
I see people wonder why teams like Miami, SA and Toronto seem to keep finding these players out of nowhere. It's because they show a great deal of patience allowing young players to develop. Not all of them pan out, but enough do to make their patience worthwhile.
Adjust to what? College ball? LOL. C'mon, you're smarter than that. Did you miss the part that there's a very big jump from college to the pros? You seem to have the notion that it's a foregone conclusion, that it's inevitable, that bigs are going to improve enough to be quality players in the NBA. All you have to do is have patience. Obviously that is not the case. Look at Bamba, who some were drooling over on draft day in 2018. He's got a freaking 7'10" wingspan. Orlando has had mucho patience. They spent a #6 pick on him. Where has it gotten them? Do they need to wait another four years for him to be a good center in the NBA? They passed on Sexton, the two Bridges, Knox and Shai Alexander. I'd give them an A for patience, but an F for their scouting insight into what his ceiling really is.

Adjust to what? College ball? LOL. C'mon, you're smarter than that. Did you miss the part that there's a very big jump from college to the pros? You seem to have the notion that it's a foregone conclusion, that it's inevitable, that bigs are going to improve enough to be quality players in the NBA. All you have to do is have patience. Obviously that is not the case. Look at Bamba, who some were drooling over on draft day in 2018. He's got a freaking 7'10" wingspan. Orlando has had mucho patience. They spent a #6 pick on him. Where has it gotten them? Do they need to wait another four years for him to be a good center in the NBA? They passed on Sexton, the two Bridges, Knox and Shai Alexander. I'd give them an A for patience, but an F for their scouting insight into what his ceiling really is.
Did you actually READ what I wrote? He adjusted to the speed of the G League (that's NOT college ball, which I thought was self evident). He also adjusted to the NBA ( also not college) by the final game of the season. The problem was that they didn't give him enough playing time for us to get a good read on him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did you actually READ what I wrote? He adjusted to the speed of the G League (that's NOT college ball, which I thought was self evident). He also adjusted to the NBA ( also not college) by the final game of the season. The problem was that they didn't give him enough playing time for us to get a good read on him.
He didn't adjust to anything. He looked awful. If you think that adding playing time is going to be a miracle and make him an ordinary center in the NBA there's nothing I can tell you. Only time will tell you.

Jake LaRavia: SG/SF, 6'9", 228 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Junior, Wake Forest.
31.6 mpg - 14.6 ppg - 55.9% fgp - 38.4% 3pp - 77.7% ftp - 6.6 rpg - 3.7 apg - 1.7 stl's - 1.0 blk's

LaRavia is similar to a few other players that I'm not sure where they'll go. A lot of mocks have him going in the 2nd rd, but after his workouts, he might have a team fall in love with him. I really like him. He's a very skilled player who can score from anywhere on the floor. He has an effortless looking 3pt shot. He has great footwork around the basket, where he likes to play bully ball on occasion. He has a nice step back fade away mid-range shot. He played his first two years at Indiana St. before transferring to Wake Forest. What sets him apart offensively, especially at his size, is his passing. He essentially played point forward at times. When doubled, he always found the open man on the floor.

While he was listed as a guard for Wake Forest, I don't see that happening in the NBA at 6'9". But who knows? He's a smart basketball player who knows when to cut to the basket, or move to the open spot if his defender starts ball watching. He's a good athlete, but not an elite athlete. He's more than capable of playing above the rim. LaRavia is also a good and willing defender. Once again, he's smart and makes good reads defensively allowing him to grab more than his share of steals. He has good lateral quickness, and even when beat off the dribble, he pursues and many times blocks the shot from behind. I'm not saying he'll be a lock down defender, but I think he'll definitely be a plus defender.

In short, LaRavia is a very talented player who knows how to play the game, and you can't have too many of those on your team. If he were a Freshman, I have no doubt he'd be a top 20 player. But because of his age, and sort of being a late bloomer, he's likely to go somewhere between 31 and 45. Unless, as I said, some team falls in love with him late in the 1st rd.

For what it’s worth Laravia just posted the 3rd best Lane Agility Time and the 2nd best Shuttle Run. I’m not surprised. His footwork, especially on defense, is exceptional along with quick hands and instincts. Strong mentality too. There are a few guys every year that are unanimously underrated compared to where I have them and Laravia is at the top of the list (Malaki Branham being another). I really think he’s going to be a special and unique player in the NBA on both sides of the ball.
good time stamps in the comments

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't think his measurements are a surprise to anyone. He's always been listed at 6'3", and that's pretty much what he is in shoes, and the last time I checked, they do play in shoes. If Collin is going to make it in the league it will be because of his shooting ability. He's not a bad defender and he's a good ball handler. I see him going in the 2nd rd or going undrafted and getting a spot on a G-League team. I like him! He's a tough gritty player who always gives his all on the court.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He didn't adjust to anything. He looked awful. If you think that adding playing time is going to be a miracle and make him an ordinary center in the NBA there's nothing I can tell you. Only time will tell you.
If you think Queta looked awful in the G-League games, then either you never really watched any of his games, or you really know nothing about basketball development. I hate to be rude, but some of the stuff your saying is just plain nonsense. Of course players adjust to the speed of the game, and sometimes it takes a whole season for some. Then there are the one's that never do, but usually because they don't have the basketball IQ or the just don't have a feel for the game.

Queta didn't start playing basketball at age 6 or 7 like some. He came to the game late, and was still learning the game when he arrived at Utah St. So he's come a long way in a short time. That's one of the reasons I cut him some slack. Players don't come out of a cookie cutter. They're human beings and they all learn at a different rate of speed. Judging that there's only been one other player to make it in the NBA from Portugal, I think it's safe to assume that Portugal isn't loaded with basketball academies. Like a lot of young men there, he grew up playing soccer. It wasn't until he grew to 7 foot tall that he was influenced to take up the game of basketball.

Do I think he's ready to start, or even be the back up center on the King's? No, probably not, but I would like to see him on the parent club where he can actually get his feet wet playing against the top competition. Then lets see what he looks like after the end of the year. I'm tired of seeing players on our G-League team show promise, and then get rejected by the Kings. Players like Gabe Vincent who in my opinion, always played well whenever I saw him play. But even in Vincent's case, look how long it took him to arrive to where he is now. Even Kobe Bryant only averaged 6 pt's a game his first year in the NBA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you think Queta looked awful in the G-League games, then either you never really watched any of his games, or you really know nothing about basketball development. I hate to be rude, but some of the stuff your saying is just plain nonsense. Of course players adjust to the speed of the game, and sometimes it takes a whole season for some. Then there are the one's that never do, but usually because they don't have the basketball IQ or the just don't have a feel for the game.

Queta didn't start playing basketball at age 6 or 7 like some. He came to the game late, and was still learning the game when he arrived at Utah St. So he's come a long way in a short time. That's one of the reasons I cut him some slack. Players don't come out of a cookie cutter. They're human beings and they all learn at a different rate of speed. Judging that there's only been one other player to make it in the NBA from Portugal, I think it's safe to assume that Portugal isn't loaded with basketball academies. Like a lot of young men there, he grew up playing soccer. It wasn't until he grew to 7 foot tall that he was influenced to take up the game of basketball.

Do I think he's ready to start, or even be the back up center on the King's? No, probably not, but I would like to see him on the parent club where he can actually get his feet wet playing against the top competition. Then lets see what he looks like after the end of the year. I'm tired of seeing players on our G-League team show promise, and then get rejected by the Kings. Players like Gabe Vincent who in my opinion, always played well whenever I saw him play. But even in Vincent's case, look how long it took him to arrive to where he is now. Even Kobe Bryant only averaged 6 pt's a game his first year in the NBA.
Player development takes time and patience. It confuses me when fans want to give up on young players so early. Especially Kings fans, when this team could benefit greatly by a player development program like San Antonio and Miami have had.

Player development takes time and patience. It confuses me when fans want to give up on young players so early. Especially Kings fans, when this team could benefit greatly by a player development program like San Antonio and Miami have had.
In defense of Kings fans, it's not like we've given up on many players to only have them go elsewhere and succeed.

IT is the only real egregious example I can think of.

If you had to choose between Ivey or Mathurin in the first, and had to take two wings in the 2nd, who would you pick as of now?

Last edited:
I didn't realize the Kings had the 49th pick as well.

Tankathon has us taking Jalen Williams at 37 but I don't see that happening anymore since he'll now go in the first round.

I'm liking Dalen Terry with the 37th pick and Keon Ellis with the 49th.

Terry has the 3rd biggest wingspan of the wings that measured at the combine. He also has real solid playmaking ability and a chance of being able to shoot. Ceiling may be Kyle Anderson type offensive production with more athleticism. Not as good defensively as Anderson but is still a solid defender who has a knack for breakaway steals.

Keon looks like Davion's brother defensively. Stays in front of his man with his chest and is one of the better stealers in college. Has better shooting percentages than Terry on more attempts but does not have Terry's playmaking ability. Elite reaction and recovery time on defense but is not very strong for his age. Can get hung up on screens easily.

If just one of these guys develops a shot, the Kings are looking good.

I didn't realize the Kings had the 49th pick as well.

Tankathon has us taking Jalen Williams at 37 but I don't see that happening anymore since he'll now go in the first round.

I'm liking Dalen Terry with the 37th pick and Keon Ellis with the 49th.

Terry has the 3rd biggest wingspan of the wings that measured at the combine. He also has real solid playmaking ability and a chance of being able to shoot. Ceiling may be Kyle Anderson type offensive production with more athleticism. Not as good defensively as Anderson but is still a solid defender who has a knack for breakaway steals.

Keon looks like Davion's brother defensively. Stays in front of his man with his chest and is one of the better stealers in college. Has better shooting percentages than Terry on more attempts but does not have Terry's playmaking ability. Elite reaction and recovery time on defense but is not very strong for his age. Can get hung up on screens easily.

If just one of these guys develops a shot, the Kings are looking good.
I would love to get Dalen Terry at 37, but I'm pretty sure he will go in the first round. I would look at Justin Lewis or Leonard Miller. Jabari Walker with the 49th pick could also be interesting.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would love to get Dalen Terry at 37, but I'm pretty sure he will go in the first round. I would look at Justin Lewis or Leonard Miller. Jabari Walker with the 49th pick could also be interesting.
Replying to a few people here, but talk out of Arizona is if Terry doesn't have a first round commit by June 1, he is going back to school.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...return-withdraw-update-2022-chicago-andy-katz

Terry declared for the 2022 NBA Draft just like teammates Bennedict Mathurin and Christian Koloko, but by retaining his NCAA eligibility he has the option to withdraw from the draft process by June 1 and return to school. Depending on which mock draft you look at, Terry is either projected to be a second-round pick or go undrafted.

Terry told NBATV’s Andy Katz that he’s not participating in 5-on-5 drills during the combine, rather he’d prefer a team that shows interest in him to bring him in for an individual workout.

“I’m definitely trying to find a team to fall in love with me,” he said. “They’re going to have to be transparent me. They can sign me up for a workout. I ain’t ducking no smoke.”

bajaden

Hall of Famer

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised it he does get a promise by a team near the bottom of the 1st round because he's certainly 1st round talent. But if not, I'm sure he'll head back to Arizona..
Do you have Koloko in the first too? I can't remember the last time Arizona had three guys in round 1. It will be a great sell for Coach Lloyd if he can get multiple second and third year players drafted in the first round. I assume he is not looking to chase one and doners around like Miller did.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I didn't see him play in the G-league nor did I say I saw him play in the G league, so you're right on at least part. I'm talking about his putrid performance in the big league's, not the G league. Please have the topic sentence right, otherwise I'm very demotivated to read the rest.

Regarding the big club, if there is a wave of injuries and there is no choice in the matter, fine, he can fill in because they have no choice. As you say above he's probably not ready to be a back-up center on the Kings, much less a starting center. Glad we could agree!

Mathew Mayer withdrew from the draft and is transferring to Illinois. Sucks for the Kings, but good for him. Will get to be a key player for them next year and likely play himself into a mid first pick.