Players likely to be in the 2nd round:

Gabriele Procida is my pick in the 2nd round.

6'7 192lbs SG/SF with a 6'8 wingspan. Despite his shorter wingspan, he plays a lot longer than it indicates. He has a standing reach of 8'10, which is in the same group with guys who have 7'0+ wingspans.

He just turned 20 years-old, and has plenty left to explore in his game. He's a very high motor player who's all over the court. Athletically, he's very fast and explosive, constantly looking to crash offensive boards for put backs. Despite primarily coming off the bench for a Lega A team, the coach made it a point to call for his name and run plays for him. He can put the ball on the floor and get straight to the rim. The best part of his game is his 3pt shooting. He's a very good shooter. I believe that his offense is translatable to the NBA day 1.

Despite being an explosive leaper with a quick first step, his lateral speed doesn't quite match up. He gets beat off the dribble more than not. He does a good job of recovering with his length, but gets caught flat footed. He'll need to improve his defensive rebounding. There were too many times where he was in position for a rebound, but didn't box out his area. Due to his youth and inexperience, he struggles with ball watching and over-helping. He does have some strengths on defense. He's pretty good at reading the passing lanes and getting steals. Despite his shortcomings, he still plays very hard on defense. There's a play I saw that describes his defense perfectly. He tries very hard, but falls short.

Time stamp at 40:13 - He's #9, the one standing at the corner 3pt line closest to the screen. He's on offense, but his teammate turns the ball over. He sprints full speed across the entire court, beating nearly everyone on the floor, almost makes a defensive play.

I would also recommend watching the sequence that happens at 21:26. Beats his defender off the dribble, but gets blocked (possibly a foul). Seconds later, he redeems himself in the same possession. It really shows off his potential and why I have him as a 1st rounder.

With the lack of wing depth in this draft, I'm not sure how he's not a 1st round pick. ESPN currently has him at #52, but I think he'd be a steal for us in the 2nd round.

Hoopshype has an updating tracker of pre-draft workouts for every team. https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-workout-tracker-where-are-prospects-going/

The Kings decided to be very hush-hush about their draft process this year with no media availability or press releases. We have two 2nd round picks at 37 and 49. All of the players we've bought in have been 2nd round prospects. Lots of interesting guys on that list. Some of the notable ones are Johnny Juzang, Trevion Williams, Alex Barcello, Keion Brooks, Tyler Burton, Hyunjung Lee, Kenneth Lofton Jr, Will Richardson, Jaden Shackelford, and Lucas Williamson.

Lucas Williamson - 6'4 G of Loyola Chicago.

He was part of the historic Final 4 team as a freshman. He's a 5th year senior who finally "broke out" on offense during his last season. His biggest calling card is his defense. He's a tremendous perimeter defender, arguably the best in college basketball last year. He shot 39% from 3pt last year, and is as career 37.7% shooter. He's a very high IQ player which ultimately pushed his coaches to giving him more PG duties in his final year.

Take a look at his highlights from this game:

How often do we see defensive possessions as part of a prospect's highlights? He's not ranked anywhere, but the defense between him and Davion would be incredible. He's also a very well-spoken player.. almost reminds you of Hali. Nonetheless, we brought him in for a workout.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Quite a few mocks have Wendell Moore in the top third of the 2nd round. I'd be surprised if he isn't actually a late 1st round pick, but if he happens to be on the board at #37 I think the Kings have to take him.
Oh, I think they do if he's there. Keels as well. If both those of those guys could be gotten in the 2nd then any wing problems might be solved defensively.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh, I think they do if he's there. Keels as well. If both those of those guys could be gotten in the 2nd then any wing problems might be solved defensively.
Yeah, looking at the mocks, there seems to be this growing list of 5-10 players that "might" be available at #37 that we would absolutely have to take, Moore being one of them. I guess if 5 "gotta-take" guys are there, we don't get to take them all.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gabriele Procida is my pick in the 2nd round.

6'7 192lbs SG/SF with a 6'8 wingspan. Despite his shorter wingspan, he plays a lot longer than it indicates. He has a standing reach of 8'10, which is in the same group with guys who have 7'0+ wingspans.

He just turned 20 years-old, and has plenty left to explore in his game. He's a very high motor player who's all over the court. Athletically, he's very fast and explosive, constantly looking to crash offensive boards for put backs. Despite primarily coming off the bench for a Lega A team, the coach made it a point to call for his name and run plays for him. He can put the ball on the floor and get straight to the rim. The best part of his game is his 3pt shooting. He's a very good shooter. I believe that his offense is translatable to the NBA day 1.

Despite being an explosive leaper with a quick first step, his lateral speed doesn't quite match up. He gets beat off the dribble more than not. He does a good job of recovering with his length, but gets caught flat footed. He'll need to improve his defensive rebounding. There were too many times where he was in position for a rebound, but didn't box out his area. Due to his youth and inexperience, he struggles with ball watching and over-helping. He does have some strengths on defense. He's pretty good at reading the passing lanes and getting steals. Despite his shortcomings, he still plays very hard on defense. There's a play I saw that describes his defense perfectly. He tries very hard, but falls short.

Time stamp at 40:13 - He's #9, the one standing at the corner 3pt line closest to the screen. He's on offense, but his teammate turns the ball over. He sprints full speed across the entire court, beating nearly everyone on the floor, almost makes a defensive play.

I would also recommend watching the sequence that happens at 21:26. Beats his defender off the dribble, but gets blocked (possibly a foul). Seconds later, he redeems himself in the same possession. It really shows off his potential and why I have him as a 1st rounder.

With the lack of wing depth in this draft, I'm not sure how he's not a 1st round pick. ESPN currently has him at #52, but I think he'd be a steal for us in the 2nd round.
Procida is one of my favorite players and I would be happy to grab him in the 2nd rd. He might be there, or, some team at the bottom of the first rd might take a flyer on him. He's a surprising good athlete with ton's of upside, if you into the whole upside thing. But he's also a very good shooter. He's a player that I think can really take off with good coaching. I can't speak to his work ethic, but there's a lot to like about him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Quite a few mocks have Wendell Moore in the top third of the 2nd round. I'd be surprised if he isn't actually a late 1st round pick, but if he happens to be on the board at #37 I think the Kings have to take him.
I get where your coming from, and I really like Moore, but I would have to see who else is there when we pick. There are players I like more at 37 than Moore, but they could be gone by then. For instance, I would definitely take Dalen Terry over Moore. I might take Peyton Watson over him. I'm a huge Christian Braun fan, and I love Justin Lewis. Other players that I like, but would probably take Moore over are Alondes Williams, Matteo Spagnolo, Hyunjung Lee, David Roddy, and Jaylin Williams, the 6'10" PF/C from Arkansas, not to be confused with Jalen Williams from Santa Clara, who will definitely go in the first rd.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get where your coming from, and I really like Moore, but I would have to see who else is there when we pick. There are players I like more at 37 than Moore, but they could be gone by then. For instance, I would definitely take Dalen Terry over Moore. I might take Peyton Watson over him. I'm a huge Christian Braun fan, and I love Justin Lewis. Other players that I like, but would probably take Moore over are Alondes Williams, Matteo Spagnolo, Hyunjung Lee, David Roddy, and Jaylin Williams, the 6'10" PF/C from Arkansas, not to be confused with Jalen Williams from Santa Clara, who will definitely go in the first rd.
I think Dalen Terry goes somewhere in the 20's but if somehow he fell to the top of the 2nd I'd hope McNair would try to trade up to get him.

I like Braun but I think I'd lean towards Moore because he'd provide better defense and his ability as a cutter and secondary playmaker would make him a good fit with Sabonis and Fox.

Peyton Watson is definitely an upside play, but if I had to guess, McNair will be looking for more immediate contributors with his job seemingly on the line. It's why I don't think it's likely he drafts Shaedon Sharpe either. But who knows?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Dalen Terry goes somewhere in the 20's but if somehow he fell to the top of the 2nd I'd hope McNair would try to trade up to get him.

I like Braun but I think I'd lean towards Moore because he'd provide better defense and his ability as a cutter and secondary playmaker would make him a good fit with Sabonis and Fox.

Peyton Watson is definitely an upside play, but if I had to guess, McNair will be looking for more immediate contributors with his job seemingly on the line. It's why I don't think it's likely he drafts Shaedon Sharpe either. But who knows?
I agree with you on Sharpe, and the 1st rd, but the 2nd rd is a place where you take a swing for the fences on a player, especially if your scouting dept is extremely high on that player. But hey, you could be right! I'd hate to think that my job's future depended on a 2nd rd pick though.

I'd have a tough time deciding between Braun and Moore. One is a very skilled veteran. Not all that flashy, but he defends and he can shoot the ball. The other is a very intense tough minded player who talks trash and gets in the face of not only the opposing players, but his own players if he feels they're not playing hard. The first of course is Moore and the second is Braun. I like both players! Braun is younger, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

I agree that Terry is likely to go at the lower part of the first rd, but if by some miracle he slid down to 37, it's an absolute no brainer. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'd have a tough time deciding between Braun and Moore. One is a very skilled veteran. Not all that flashy, but he defends and he can shoot the ball. The other is a very intense tough minded player who talks trash and gets in the face of not only the opposing players, but his own players if he feels they're not playing hard. The first of course is Moore and the second is Braun. I like both players! Braun is younger, but that doesn't mean anything to me.
Actually, Moore is a few months younger than Braun - I think he reclassed and started school very young.

I like both players, basically exactly for the reasons you lay out here. Moore is an interesting case because he has improved SO much over his three years at Duke. In his freshman year, and at least the first half of his sophomore year, he didn't even belong on the court most of the time. My game notes for him are basically filled with me laughing over how terrible he was and mocking the idea that he was a draft prospect at all. But things started to click for him halfway through his sophomore year and I started to take notice of it. This year he had a very good year. He's got great length, and I feel like he's so much smarter on the floor than he was just a few years ago. I really like his potential if he's got any growth left in him.

At any rate, I may be crazy but I really love the depth in this draft, and I'm convinced somebody pretty good will fall to #37 (and depending on what happens on draft night, perhaps to #49 as well). Maybe it's not Moore or Braun or your favorite Terry (I didn't spend enough time focusing on him with Mathurin right in our expected draft range, but he certainly flashed some!) but I think it will be somebody.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually, Moore is a few months younger than Braun - I think he reclassed and started school very young.

I like both players, basically exactly for the reasons you lay out here. Moore is an interesting case because he has improved SO much over his three years at Duke. In his freshman year, and at least the first half of his sophomore year, he didn't even belong on the court most of the time. My game notes for him are basically filled with me laughing over how terrible he was and mocking the idea that he was a draft prospect at all. But things started to click for him halfway through his sophomore year and I started to take notice of it. This year he had a very good year. He's got great length, and I feel like he's so much smarter on the floor than he was just a few years ago. I really like his potential if he's got any growth left in him.

At any rate, I may be crazy but I really love the depth in this draft, and I'm convinced somebody pretty good will fall to #37 (and depending on what happens on draft night, perhaps to #49 as well). Maybe it's not Moore or Braun or your favorite Terry (I didn't spend enough time focusing on him with Mathurin right in our expected draft range, but he certainly flashed some!) but I think it will be somebody.
Ahhh, I stand corrected! Never assume anything, and right now I can't come up for a reason why I thought Braun was younger. But no matter, I don't put much emphasis on age, unless the player is 40 years old. I'd be happy with either Moore of Braun at 37, and like I said, getting Terry would be a miracle. Like most people, I was watching Arizona play to see mostly Mathurin, and plus I got to see Koloko as well. But I couldn't take my eye's off of Terry when he came into the game. Thus my love affair!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, with the draft staring us in the face today, I thought I would list several players that I think would be good selections for the Kings. I'm not listing them in the order I would want them, but if it's a player that I think of first, then you can assume that there's some love there.

Dalen Terry: 6'7.25", PG/SG who is not likely to slide into the 2nd rd, but one can dream.
Christian Bruan: 6'7" SF/SG who plays with ant edge. Tough hardnosed player who can shoot.
Gabriele Procida: 6'7.75", SF/SG. A terrific athlete with a flare to his game. Ton's of upside. Exciting player to watch.
Justin Lewis: 6'7.5" SF/PF with a huge wingspan. Another tough player. Has some holes in his game, but he has a lot of upside.
Peyton Watson: 6'8", SF with a huge upside. Didn't get a lot of burn with UCLA because he was third in the pecking order.
David Roddy: 6'6", SG/SF with a great wingspan and a lot of upside. He weighs 260 Lb's. If he can lose 20 Lb's you might have a very good player.
Wendell Moore: 6'5.5", SG. Probably goes in the first rd. He's a plug and play player. Good shooter and decent to good defender.
Dominick Barlow: 6'9.75", PF. He's a little rough around the edges, but is loaded with potential. He has a 7'3" wingspan.
Julian Champagnie: 6'7.25", SF. Shot 40% from three. Good rebounder and defender. His brother is already in the NBA. Julian is the better player.
Darius Days: 6'7", SF. Needs to lose about 10 to 15 Lb's, but there's potential there.
Vince Williams: 6'6", SG. Good defender who can shoot from three. Another plug and play player
Hyunjung Lee: 6'7", SF/SG. Very good shooter with a terrific midrange game. Needs to work on his defense, but wasn't a liability.
Max Christie: 6'5", SG A player with a ton of potential. Needs to get stronger. Was a projected lottery pick at beginning of season.
Trevion Williams: 6'8.75", Center. Terrific passer. Has a good wingspan. Need to lose 20 Lb's and develop some game away from the basket.

Several of these players could go in the first round, but if not, they would be good acquisitions. As you can see, the majority of the players are wings which is a position of need for the Kings.

Well, with the draft staring us in the face today, I thought I would list several players that I think would be good selections for the Kings. I'm not listing them in the order I would want them, but if it's a player that I think of first, then you can assume that there's some love there.

Dalen Terry: 6'7.25", PG/SG who is not likely to slide into the 2nd rd, but one can dream.
Christian Bruan: 6'7" SF/SG who plays with ant edge. Tough hardnosed player who can shoot.
Gabriele Procida: 6'7.75", SF/SG. A terrific athlete with a flare to his game. Ton's of upside. Exciting player to watch.
Justin Lewis: 6'7.5" SF/PF with a huge wingspan. Another tough player. Has some holes in his game, but he has a lot of upside.
Peyton Watson: 6'8", SF with a huge upside. Didn't get a lot of burn with UCLA because he was third in the pecking order.
David Roddy: 6'6", SG/SF with a great wingspan and a lot of upside. He weighs 260 Lb's. If he can lose 20 Lb's you might have a very good player.
Wendell Moore: 6'5.5", SG. Probably goes in the first rd. He's a plug and play player. Good shooter and decent to good defender.
Dominick Barlow: 6'9.75", PF. He's a little rough around the edges, but is loaded with potential. He has a 7'3" wingspan.
Julian Champagnie: 6'7.25", SF. Shot 40% from three. Good rebounder and defender. His brother is already in the NBA. Julian is the better player.
Darius Days: 6'7", SF. Needs to lose about 10 to 15 Lb's, but there's potential there.
Vince Williams: 6'6", SG. Good defender who can shoot from three. Another plug and play player
Hyunjung Lee: 6'7", SF/SG. Very good shooter with a terrific midrange game. Needs to work on his defense, but wasn't a liability.
Max Christie: 6'5", SG A player with a ton of potential. Needs to get stronger. Was a projected lottery pick at beginning of season.
Trevion Williams: 6'8.75", Center. Terrific passer. Has a good wingspan. Need to lose 20 Lb's and develop some game away from the basket.

Several of these players could go in the first round, but if not, they would be good acquisitions. As you can see, the majority of the players are wings which is a position of need for the Kings.
Watch the Lakers get Terry or Moore at 35. Those creeps, lol.