Projected rotation

It will be interesting how the Kings rotation plays out....

Key questions.....

1) does Bagley improve his shooting and perimeter defense to spend time at the 3 as Vlade has envisioned.

Right now with
Dedmon, Giles, Holmes, Swanigan
Bagley, Beli, Lydon

The front court is crowded. I think Vlade would like to go long and play Bagley minutes at 3.

2) What does Bogdan do?

Does Bogi spend time at the 3. Last year was awful as he struggled to defend and rebound the position.

Getting Buddy and Bogi 25 plus minutes will require sliding Bogi to minutes at the 1 or 3.

3) what minutes does Beli get?

Beli’s help defense is better than he gets credit. What role will he have and can he, Giles and Bogi form a super hi BBIQ second team. Can Ariza and Joseph help penetration against this group.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I can’t see Bagley at anything more than experimental short stints at the three. Maybe down the line, but not today.

I figure Holmes and Bjeli will rotate their minutes based on stretch 4 or banger needs.

Bogi’s minutes will tick down, and he’ll play his natural position which *should* only help him. NO SMALL FORWARD MINUTES

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Well, you have a big 4 of Fox, Buddy, Barnes, and Bagley. Whatever happens around that should be based on fit and should only interfere with their role if foul trouble or injuries play a part. If the Kings try and platoon depth power teams to death then they are just killing this thing from the get go. At some point it might become very clear that there is a little too much depth and not enough bang for the buck. If so, it just is what it is.

Swanigan and Lydon, assuming they make the team, shouldn’t be penciled in for regular rotation minutes, so I wouldn’t worry about them. Still, there are about 12 guys I’d be comfortable with playing regularly. Establishing the rotation will be an interesting puzzle for Walton. Given the depth, there’s no reason the team shouldn’t run relentlessly for 48 minutes.

Entity

Hall of Famer
You will see DNP’s this year from yogi, Bjelica, Lydon, Swanigan, James
I want to see more than 31-33 min out of the starters. Bobby, Webber, Peja, Christie used to get 35-40 Divac was only starter under 33
Fox 35 Joseph 13
Buddy 33 bogi 15
Barnes 38 Ariza 10
Bagley 35 Holmes 13
Dedmon 26 Giles 22
That’s typical night I want to see the rest will get min on injuries, blow out loss, blow out win, foul issues, glaring matchup problems.

PG: Fox 32 min, the other 16 min split between Joseph and Bogi (depending on whether defense or offense is most needed)
SG: Buddy 32 min, Bogi 16 min
SF: Barnes 32 min, Ariza 16 min
PF: Bags 32 min, Giles 16 min
C: Dedmon 28 min, Giles 16 min, Holmes 4 min

The rest of them will need to stay ready. They will get their chances.

Bjelica is good. I could see him opening up the floor for Giles or Holmes on the second unit. With Joseph, Bogi and Ariza. That’s a pretty solid defensive team - Bjelica provides a ton of flexibility at the other positions. And he can BOMB

I hope its something like this

Fox 33min/Joseph 15min
Buddy 32min/Bogdan 16 min
Barnes 20min/Ariza 20min/Bogdan 8min
Bagley 18min/Barnes 12min/Bjelica 18min
Dedmond 24min/Bagley 14min/Giles or Holmes 10min

First of all I would stagger Fox and Bagley a lot so either one of them is pretty much always on the floor. Fox would get a lot of heavily spaced out lineups with Bjelica or Barnes at the 4 and that would maximize his efficency as a primary pick n roll ball handler. Bagley would be the primary offensive focus with the second team and imo it would be beneficial if he was the center at those moments. With four shooters, he would have more room to operate in mid/low post and as a pick n roll screener, thus maximizing his effectiveness.

I dont want to see Holmes getting any minutes at the 4. He is at his best as a rim running center and we have better options at that position. Bjelica is getting maybe little underrated. He spaces the floor, makes smart decisions and is a good team defender. He does a lot of good things and advanced metrics agree with that. He should be getting at least some back up minutes at the 4.

I also want to see instances where Ariza and Barnes play together. That way we would have very switchable lineup defensively with two legit perimeter wing defenders on the floor. Overall there are a lot of possibilities and I hope and believe spacing is one thing that Walton will value. Also it seems like we are deep enough to survive some injuries as long as its not Fox

I hope its something like this

Fox 33min/Joseph 15min
Buddy 32min/Bogdan 16 min
Barnes 20min/Ariza 20min/Bogdan 8min
Bagley 18min/Barnes 12min/Bjelica 18min
Dedmond 24min/Bagley 14min/Giles or Holmes 10min

First of all I would stagger Fox and Bagley a lot so either one of them is pretty much always on the floor. Fox would get a lot of heavily spaced out lineups with Bjelica or Barnes at the 4 and that would maximize his efficency as a primary pick n roll ball handler. Bagley would be the primary offensive focus with the second team and imo it would be beneficial if he was the center at those moments. With four shooters, he would have more room to operate in mid/low post and as a pick n roll screener, thus maximizing his effectiveness.

I dont want to see Holmes getting any minutes at the 4. He is at his best as a rim running center and we have better options at that position. Bjelica is getting maybe little underrated. He spaces the floor, makes smart decisions and is a good team defender. He does a lot of good things and advanced metrics agree with that. He should be getting at least some back up minutes at the 4.

I also want to see instances where Ariza and Barnes play together. That way we would have very switchable lineup defensively with two legit perimeter wing defenders on the floor. Overall there are a lot of possibilities and I hope and believe spacing is one thing that Walton will value. Also it seems like we are deep enough to survive some injuries as long as its not
Fox
I'd lower Ariza a few mins for Barnes, and some mins from Barnes/Bjelica to go to Giles (at the 5, Bagley takes the mins at 4).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I want to see more than 31-33 min out of the starters. Bobby, Webber, Peja, Christie used to get 35-40 Divac was only starter under 33
Fox 35 Joseph 13
Buddy 33 bogi 15
Barnes 38 Ariza 10
Bagley 35 Holmes 13
Dedmon 26 Giles 22
That’s typical night I want to see the rest will get min on injuries, blow out loss, blow out win, foul issues, glaring matchup problems.
Woah slow down there Coach Thibs.

The heavy minute workload was tenable when the game was played much slower. But asking guys to play huge minutes in the modern NBA is what led to the Warriors having to play Jerebko and McKinnie serious minutes in the finals.

It will be interesting and our starters seem to be pretty obvious to most.

We have a decently deep bench now so if someone is constantly getting into foul trouble or not productive I hope the coach decreases their playing time accordingly.

Our two rookies will see very limited playing time compared to what we saw last year and Giles needs to be productive to see the floor as much as we all hope he can.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Woah slow down there Coach Thibs.

The heavy minute workload was tenable when the game was played much slower. But asking guys to play huge minutes in the modern NBA is what led to the Warriors having to play Jerebko and McKinnie serious minutes in the finals.
35 vs 32? we are talking 3 min here not 42

I think the 1 to 3 position has the starter/backup pretty set with a normal 32/16 min allocation
Which will of course vary night to night

Having 5 bigs might actually help in a fast pace game

After Bagley gets his 32 min

If Dedmon 22, Giles,Bjelly,Holmes at 14 min each
we could really keep our bigs with fresh legs

Bags 32,Bjelly14,Giles 2
Ded 22,Holmes 14,Giles 12

11 man rotation gonna push the pace

I think the 1 to 3 position has the starter/backup pretty set with a normal 32/16 min allocation

Bags 32,Bjelly14,Giles 2

So we finally get the type of starting center we have wanted only to play him 5 minutes less than WCS did last year? That doesn't seem right.

Fox 35 Joseph 13
Buddy 33 bogi 15
Barnes 38 Ariza 10
Bagley 35 Holmes 13
Dedmon 26 Giles 22
I do agree with you that the minutes for our core guys need to go up. Fox, Buddy, Barnes all need to be at 34 to 36. Ditto for Bagley but he’s going to experience some foul trouble with increased minutes so I expect him to be around 30 to 32. Dedmon will be around 28 with Giles filling in for both Dedmon and Bagley with Holmes getting the rest of the minutes.

Bogi and Ariza are going to have higher minutes than 15 and 10 respectfully. Bogi will hover around 20 and Ariza probably 12-15 is my guess. We have a similar mindset. 31 minutes for a 20 year old Fox was not enough. I hope Walton isn’t the idiot that Joerger was and keeps Fox out while we get blown off the court or even worse, pulls him when he’s hot.

Fox 35 Joseph 13
Buddy 33 bogi 15
Barnes 38 Ariza 10
Bagley 35 Holmes 13
Dedmon 26 Giles 22
Solid dispersement. Although Bogi playing 15 mpg is a little low IMO. I also can't see 4 bigs getting basically all the minutes at PF/C unless you think Bagley will play SF too. The Kings will most certainly play small with Ariza and Barnes in the front court at times. The Lakers will be the interesting team to look out for. They can potentially play super huge and smaller with AD at center. Whatever lineup they run that has the most success will likely lead the rest of the West in a race to match up and dictate what you do from there.

Interesting a couple of you guys give Bjelica no minutes.
The Kings have done mega depthed their way into another year though. Somebody isn't playing and if they attempt to run 13 deep against this many power duo teams it won't be pretty. With what has happened this summer teams have condensed their star power and while the Kings have 4 players to match them, trying to run a Joseph or Dedmon or Holmes or Bjelica as the head of a depth squad will do nothing for you when it counts. Depth is huge for the regular season over the long haul but we again saw condensing in the playoffs is unavoidable.

Well I hear Walton wants to play faster than last year. This is going to mean substitutions early and often so a 10 to 12 man rotation would not surprise me at all.
Long standing NBA rules are NBA rules, if he attempts this he'll lose his team in the lockeroom and the Kings will lose more games than necessary just like every team has before him. Unless you are capable of throwing out an Olympic super team you can't compete with teams so talented at their core as 6 or so teams are in the west currently. In terms of actual pace the Kings aren't likely to get much faster, where they can climb numerically is by shifting their shot attempts per game more towards the 3 point line and less towards the middle while getting them off earlier in the shot clock. From what I've heard it sounds like that is the plan and the signings certainly fit that ideology.

PF Bagley 31 min / Bjelicia/Holmes split 17 min- depending on match-up
SF Barnes 30 min / Ariza 15 min / Bogdan 3 min
C Dedmon 25 min / Giles 23 min
SG Buddy 31 min / Bogdan 17 min / J James - spot minutes
PG Fox 31 min / Joseph 17 min / Yogi - spot minutes

The Kings are going to run, so they will need to rest their starter’s legs.

The starters should be kept around 31 minutes per game, to save their legs for the long post season run. ;)

We are probably going to use 10-11 players deep most nights.

Last edited:

Bags 32,Bjelly14,Giles 2

The Kings wore down last year playing 32-34 minutes. They need to play 28-30 max if they plan to play at a faster pace.