[Game] (Preseason)Kings @ Warriors, 10/11/2024 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern (NBCSN)

Funny, I was going to mention Mitchell last night, as he was mocking the KINGS and Warriors for being too small but a level head prevailed and I instead decided he was too stupid to actually warrant such attention.

Now I see that skipping the postgame was a mistake, as I missed the gems posted above. What a bigger douche than I already believed.

I'm honestly concerned & critical of the roster construction to be honest ... I just think in terms of "ready to be in rotation", "NBA talent level", the 11-15 guys on the Kings may be the worst in the entire league. Most teams have 1-2, maybe 3 end of bench guys who can't really play for real but Kings seem to have more than that. Monk-Huerter-Lyles-Len-McLaughlin are proved NBA talent but everyone else is extremely unreliable in my opinion. They should have 2 more quality depth pieces (especially at forward spot) but they don't. They have "could be" or inexperienced depth pieces.

I'm honestly concerned & critical of the roster construction to be honest ... I just think in terms of "ready to be in rotation", "NBA talent level", the 11-15 guys on the Kings may be the worst in the entire league. Most teams have 1-2, maybe 3 end of bench guys who can't really play for real but Kings seem to have more than that. Monk-Huerter-Lyles-Len-McLaughlin are proved NBA talent but everyone else is extremely unreliable in my opinion. They should have 2 more quality depth pieces (especially at forward spot) but they don't. They have "could be" or inexperienced depth pieces.
If Jae Crowder can still jump, they should sign him pronto. He played 50 games for the Milwaukee Bucks last season, averaging 23 minutes per game. Do you think Mike Brown is sending out at distress call this morning?

He is #4 on the HoopsHype list of free agents still available just before training camp. Doug McDermott is #3.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-nba-free-agent-rankings-top-players-available-this-summer/

Last edited:
Lol, what? We're complaining that our 12-16 guys aren't NBA ready?

What NBA teams have 12-16 rotation guys that are capable of handling NBA rotation minutes? Should be easy to name, since we have the worst right?

Isaac is aggressive on boards which is useful. He does hang around 3pt line a little too much, which is outside of his range.

Ellises (Elli) looked great shooting. Keon did have a wtf pass and Boogie still looks a little lost on team defense. Both are aggrsssive on perimeter defense.

Keegs was in the passing lanes and aggresive taking it to the basket. He is still rotating during his 3pt shots instead of planting his feet (like in the past).

Sabonis looks great! Pocket pass from DDR for dunk was a thing of beauty.

Len needs more minutes.

For someone that was so high on Colby last year his play has been appaling for a long, long time. I can't remember his last "good" game. In my mind I try to imagine Colby's mins going to Carter.

Lol, what? We're complaining that our 12-16 guys aren't NBA ready?

What NBA teams have 12-16 rotation guys that are capable of handling NBA rotation minutes? Should be easy to name, since we have the worst right?
1st what are you laughing at?

2nd - It’s 11-15 guys as I mentioned. Carter is out 1st half of season if not all do he doesn’t count in the numbering. And actually specifically I mentioned 11-13 guys since I noted 1-2 guys that can't really played is more typical. So I never said teams should have 16 guys "capable of handling nba rotation minutes".

3rd - And umm why would I waste time naming the 11-15 guys on each team? That’s a waste of time & writing. You go on the nba roster lists, and look at the 11-15 guys on each teams. That isn’t some subjective thing I need to write out.

The above is my opinion. Other teams have guys capable of stepping in place of injuries, even a “bad team” like Portland has multiple guys on the backend (11th/12th/13th men) that have at least proven to be capable of rotation minutes or are young talents that obv can make next steps to play serviceable backup minutes (guys like Toumani Camara, Jabari Walker, Kris Murray) … I did look up Utah and their backend is pretty bad too. Which doesn’t contrast with what I said anyway, Kings 11-15 “may be the worst in the entire league”, they may be no better than Utah which is embarrassing cause they’re not a tanking team.

2nd - It’s 11-15 guys as I mentioned. Carter is out 1st half of season if not all do he doesn’t count in the numbering. And actually specifically I mentioned 11-13 guys since I noted 1-2 guys that can't really played is more typical. So I never said teams should have 16 guys "capable of handling nba rotation minutes".

3rd - And umm why would I waste time naming the 11-15 guys on each team? That’s a waste of time & writing. You go on the nba roster lists, and look at the 11-15 guys on each teams. That isn’t some subjective thing I need to write out.

The above is my opinion. Other teams have guys capable of stepping in place of injuries, even a “bad team” like Portland has multiple guys on the backend (11th/12th/13th men) that have at least proven to be capable of rotation minutes or are young talents that obv can make next steps to play serviceable backup minutes (guys like Toumani Camara, Jabari Walker, Kris Murray) … I did look up Utah and their backend is pretty bad too. Which doesn’t contrast with what I said anyway, Kings 11-15 “may be the worst in the entire league”, they may be no better than Utah which is embarrassing cause they’re not a tanking team.
trading away draft picks for limited return will do that to you. We have most UFA as our 2 way players.

1. You. For your weirdly bad opinion

2. Carter does count as if he were healthy, he would be in our rotation. So we were literally missing 5 of our 6 bench options

3. Sure, why qualify your opinion with some sort of evidence? It's on you to show your opinion had validity, not me.

The Kings G League squad (minus Len) played the Warriors NBA bench. Of course they're going to look bad. Our depth will look a lot different once we get Monk, Huerter, McLaughlin and Lyles back.
Also, it's 2 preseason games. Not that is have a lot of confidence if that actually was our bench, but most of that grouping hasn't played very many real NBA minutes yet. Very early to say they'll never be NBA players

Colby Jones offense looks eerily like Davion Mitchell's in his second year. Turrble. Did they have the same development coach? In his rookie year Colby looked like in about two to three years he could be a solid combo guard. Now he looks like he couldn't make it as a walk-on at a Division I college program. What the heck happened in the off-season?

The rest of the Jones bros also look offensively challenged. No more Jones's, please.

Yeah I'm not worried about the guys in spots 12-16....

Monk will carry our bench in the RS. Len, Lyles, and Huerter are solid enough to help out.

If any of those dudes we saw scrubbin' around last night gets more than extremely limited spot minutes in the regular season it means 2/3rds of our team is injured and we got bigger problems than worrying about Colby Jones' development!

Starters look amazing. I think Keegan has somehow made another huge leap on defense, he's going to be a terror this season. And all the pundits saying we got worse by swapping HB for DDR will be proven very very wrong.

Yeah I'm not worried about the guys in spots 12-16....

Monk will carry our bench in the RS. Len, Lyles, and Huerter are solid enough to help out.

If any of those dudes we saw scrubbin' around last night gets more than extremely limited spot minutes in the regular season it means 2/3rds of our team is injured and we got bigger problems than worrying about Colby Jones' development!

Starters look amazing. I think Keegan has somehow made another huge leap on defense, he's going to be a terror this season. And all the pundits saying we got worse by swapping HB for DDR will be proven very very wrong.
Agreed!

Colby Jones offense looks eerily like Davion Mitchell's in his second year. Turrble. Did they have the same development coach? In his rookie year Colby looked like in about two to three years he could be a solid combo guard. Now he looks like he couldn't make it as a walk-on at a Division I college program. What the heck happened in the off-season?

The rest of the Jones bros also look offensively challenged. No more Jones's, please.
When Colby was interviewed in the summer he said they were working on his shot.

It's not just his shot though, he has been a total liability out there.

Mason was actually shooting well in the summer. Colby has been bad.

Same! I'm so hyped to see him out there causing havok on defense. Throw him in a lineup with Ellis and Keegan and life is tough for the other team!

Hopefully him coming back in Jan holds without set backs
Right now he can't come back soon enough. It kind of looks like the Kings defensive potential at G/F is all of 3 guys in Keon, Devin, and Keegan, lol. Not a lot of tools at the moment. Maybe Brown can stagger things with an all offense lineup at the start of games, but Huerter/DeRozan has chances to be pretty dang incapable on defense for the most part and a bit light on athletic ability. The control DeRozan brings offensively more than makes up for it though.

While I'll not comment on how our 12-16 compare with the rest of the league, since I don't know much, I think it's silly to ignore it. Just because they won't factor in much this year, doesn't mean that those spots are not important. We are an imbalanced roster, and most of our bench depth is also in the guard spot. The back end of the bench should include players who can contribute in a pinch, particularly for specialized roles/positions, or be solid prospects that will likely be solid contributors in a couple of years. In this hard cap era, even with rising salary cap, you want contributing players on cheap contracts. We hit a home run in that regard with Keon, which allows us so much flexibility with Heurter, and allowed us to lose Davion without it feeling like a big hit. We need something similar at the forward spot (at least a single, if not a home run).

If none of the current crop seems to meet either of the two criteria, that's a problem. It may seem to be a relatively minor problem this year, but over a long season, injuries will play a role. Moreover, even for this year, it limits your ability to do two for one trades, since you lose a useful bench piece too with no proper replacement.

Not sure about McLaughlin, based on those 2 preseason games and some of the highlights there's no shot he doesn't like to take, his shots are off, no muscle memory, he looks disinterested, low energy and IQ. Being long and playing some defense keeps him in the league I guess.

Right now he can't come back soon enough. It kind of looks like the Kings defensive potential at G/F is all of 3 guys in Keon, Devin, and Keegan, lol. Not a lot of tools at the moment. Maybe Brown can stagger things with an all offense lineup at the start of games, but Huerter/DeRozan has chances to be pretty dang incapable on defense for the most part and a bit light on athletic ability. The control DeRozan brings offensively more than makes up for it though.
I hope, the best offense is a good defense.

Not sure about McLaughlin, based on those 2 preseason games and some of the highlights there's no shot he doesn't like to take, his shots are off, no muscle memory, he looks disinterested, low energy and IQ. Being long and playing some defense keeps him in the league I guess.
you are mixing McLaughlin up with someone (given he is injured and hasn’t played) are you talking about Mcdaniels maybe?