[Game] Preseason Game 3: Kings vs. Warriors, 12/15/2020, 7PM PST, 10PM EST

It looks like Guy has a 2 year two-way, but at end of this season we can make 1.6M Qualifying offer with Restricted Early Bird Rights?
Ramsey has 2 years Guar at 2.5M total
If Cojo is traded or at end of this season maybe will have both to battle for minutes behind fox

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guy has a few things working against him.

Given his size he isn't switchable.
He's also not a PG. He's a small SG.

But he's clearly been working on improving his strength and he gives effort on D.

I think he deserves some spot minutes alongside Haliburton who can run the offense and be the primary playmaker freeing Guy to be a scorer/shooter.

I'd certainly rather see Guy or Ramsey getting court time rather than Joseph.

Guy had his coming out party. The improvement in his confidence level is obvious. He is small for a 2.
Whiteside has a commanding presence inside. I did not like watching him miss 4 free throws in a row.
Halliburton has a great all around game. He does not play like a rook.
Mr. Holmes is playing some really good defense.
Fox is starting to wake up. I don't really like him launching 3s.
Hield does what he does. His is aware of his defensive issues and works on both ends.
I like Barnes more than most people.
Bagley is looking good. If he can just stay on the floor.
Kaminsky is good off the bench. Robinson is playing pretty well.
The Kings still give up too many layups.

Guy had his coming out party. The improvement in his confidence level is obvious. He is small for a 2.
Whiteside has a commanding presence inside. I did not like watching him miss 4 free throws in a row.
Hield does what he does. His is aware of his defensive issues and works on both ends.
You are wise for not liking Fox launching threes as he shouldn’t be launching them. His shot looks like it’s taken a big step back. He’s not even close most of the time.

Luke said post game that he still doesn't see Guy getting many minutes in the regular season.

Pre season is a tough place to judge people to be honest.
I didn't see the post game comments, so context could come into play here. Unless asked a specific question, he doesn't have to be an ass about it, there are diplomatic non-answers. He didn't just pee on Guy's moment, he did the whole team. They were all celebrating the moment with him as a Team.

Luke said post game that he still doesn't see Guy getting many minutes in the regular season.

Pre season is a tough place to judge people to be honest.
Luke is a student of the Zen Master Phil Jackson..... Luke sees the same thing we see. Its his job to push players to go harder. As a player, hearing this would fire me up... Especially right after hitting 20 points and a game winner. My confidence would be high and I would have a chip on shoulder... Thats a great combination.

For Bagley I liked seeing that he was trying some passes. I thought he made a decent drive and dish to Holmes that Richaun dropped and he tried a couple high post passes.

One thing I haven’t liked about him other than his inability to stay on the floor and his defense..when he gets the ball, he immediately goes into one on one mode looking for a shot and it’s predictable. It ruins the rhythm of the team even if he makes 4 of 5 or something. He’ll spend 5-8 seconds working on a guy and It makes him look like an old school player when his offensive potential is that of a modern inside out big.

Moving the ball, a consistent outside shot(that is sure will come, even more confident then I am Fox ever becoming a reliable outside shooter) and figuring out how to fit into team defense will decide weather he is a potential star or a guy that will eventually be a guy that earns a “Buckets” nickname.

I didn't see the post game comments, so context could come into play here. Unless asked a specific question, he doesn't have to be an ass about it, there are diplomatic non-answers. He didn't just pee on Guy's moment, he did the whole team. They were all celebrating the moment with him as a Team.
Just watch his post game interview. He's asked if guy will crack the rotation and he said unless there injuries he won't see a lot of minutes.

He also said he was glad Guy went for a three because he didn't want to see 5 minutes more of "that basketball" which I thought was odd unless I'm misreading him.
That is odd. I haven't watched the game yet. I'm getting too old to stay up late. Even if I don't have to get dressed or comb the remaining hair. But it sounds like the kids were having fun. I think it was SLAB who said, can we just get it over with? I second that.

Guy has a few things working against him.

Given his size he isn't switchable.
He's also not a PG. He's a small SG.

But he's clearly been working on improving his strength and he gives effort on D.

I think he deserves some spot minutes alongside Haliburton who can run the offense and be the primary playmaker freeing Guy to be a scorer/shooter.

I'd certainly rather see Guy or Ramsey getting court time rather than Joseph.
Guy reminds me of Jimmer Freddette except with better handles and more confident

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guy reminds me of Jimmer Freddette except with better handles and more confident
I think the difference is that Jimmer got used to functioning as the #1 option on offense and struggled with becoming a role player in the NBA. Without adapting Fredette was really only cut out to be a star or a bust. And unfortunately, we know how things turned out.

I thought this was Haliburton's best game so far from a play making stand point. Didn't have as many assists but the assists he did rack up were quality assists on good drives and passes. There were way less "here, you do something with it" passes.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's weird because we are used to seeing Summer League with fresh rooks and typically they will explode and then regress, and the talent is beneath what we have seen the last 3 games. With Halliburton we're seeing steady progress night to night and he appears to be getting comfortable and showing a good head for the game.

With Guy - realistically speaking, he's clearly working his tail off to earn his keep. You gotta love that. I think @funkykingston kinda hit the nail on the head, Freddette came in a lotto pick as the number one guy in his conference and "Jimmer-mania"; Guy had the stench of being a late Vlade pickup and getting put on a 2-way. He's got that lunchbox attitude and the mental attitude to understand his role and seems like a guy who can answer the call when answered. His call isn't the bat signal, it's the "hey, my car broke down can you pick up the kids?" kinda call.

It's weird because we are used to seeing Summer League with fresh rooks and typically they will explode and then regress, and the talent is beneath what we have seen the last 3 games. With Halliburton we're seeing steady progress night to night and he appears to be getting comfortable and showing a good head for the game.

With Guy - realistically speaking, he's clearly working his tail off to earn his keep. You gotta love that. I think @funkykingston kinda hit the nail on the head, Freddette came in a lotto pick as the number one guy in his conference and "Jimmer-mania"; Guy had the stench of being a late Vlade pickup and getting put on a 2-way. He's got that lunchbox attitude and the mental attitude to understand his role and seems like a guy who can answer the call when answered. His call isn't the bat signal, it's the "hey, my car broke down can you pick up the kids?" kinda call.
Yeah Haliburton was more aggressive with his drives last night and they weren't always perfect but he dropped some really nice passes and a couple of them didn't even wind up being assists due to poor finishing. We saw the flashes early on so it's good to see him starting to realize that he can deal and dish in the lane with no problem. He's also pretty much a lock for 2 steals per game that lead to fast breaks. That's definitely Christie like.

I haven't been high too high on Guy but he looks like a completely different player these last two games. I'm hoping this is a new and improved version of Guy and not just a flash in the pan. If he can be a 40% shooter from deep and be able to get his shot off against legit NBA defenders, he will definitely have a spot in the rotation (Walton willing). It would be really fun to see this kid become instant offense off the bench.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I haven't been high too high on Guy but he looks like a completely different player these last two games. I'm hoping this is a new and improved version of Guy and not just a flash in the pan. If he can be a 40% shooter from deep and be able to get his shot off against legit NBA defenders, he will definitely have a spot in the rotation (Walton willing). It would be really fun to see this kid become instant offense off the bench.
At the end of the day you have to have guys that sit on the bench and cheerlead but can step in for spot minutes. I'd rather it be a guy like Guy than some vet making a minimum deal. Now sure, that might cost you a game or two late in the season, but for where this team is right now, I think that's ok. It's a risk/reward thing that can also build some good will.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
preaseason or not, Guy has shown that he has a valuable skill in this league and that's his shooting. He has good and consistent form and other than filling out his frame a bit, I don't see how he won't eventually get some minutes whether its with the Kings or another team that may nab him away from the Kings just like they did with Seth

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rewatching the game

Hassan starts his first stint on the floor playing like a guy who has literally not touched a basketball in months. He pretty much fumbles every single pass he gets, including a possession which leads to a Warriors break that Tyrese stops singlehandedly by defending two guys at once. At the same time, Hassan’s arms are so long that he doesn’t even need to jump for guys to adjust their shot and rebounds like a mofo.

Tyrese got dinged for not being a particularly explosive athlete but his lateral quickness and explosive breaks into passing lanes say differently. People were balking at the unconfirmed 7 ft wingspan thing but he certainly plays that long. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Kings rookie ever play defense like this to start his career.
After his stint in the first quarter Richaun had a pretty solid game. Not sure why we’re using him in horn sets like he’s Draymond though.

GRIII’s game reminds me of Derrick Soda Machine Williams in that he is the only guy who seems to prefer dribbling the ball into traffic rather than making legible basketball plays. He’s not a bad defender or shooter so it’s not like he’s unplayable as your backup 3 but it’s a little frustrating to say the least.

Bjeli has had a bad/quiet preseason which naturally means he’s probably going to start the season dropping 20 points and 10 boards a night in true Professor Big Shots fashion.

There will be a game this season where Buddy and Guy can’t miss and it will be glorious.

If anything these last two games have shown how unnecessary CoJo is on the roster. By all accounts he seems like a great locker room guy and has apparently connected with Haliburton but the four man guard rotation of Fox/Buddy/Haliburton/Guy just seems like a much more balanced group than having a guy who can offer solid defense and bad iso offense play 20 minutes off the bench.

I also feel way better about this team defensively with Rex running the show than Bob Beyer’s sets last season.

Rewatching the game

Hassan starts his first stint on the floor playing like a guy who has literally not touched a basketball in months. He pretty much fumbles every single pass he gets, including a possession which leads to a Warriors break that Tyrese stops singlehandedly by defending two guys at once. At the same time, Hassan’s arms are so long that he doesn’t even need to jump for guys to adjust their shot and rebounds like a mofo.

Tyrese got dinged for not being a particularly explosive athlete but his lateral quickness and explosive breaks into passing lanes say differently. People were balking at the unconfirmed 7 ft wingspan thing but he certainly plays that long. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Kings rookie ever play defense like this to start his career.
After his stint in the first quarter Richaun had a pretty solid game. Not sure why we’re using him in horn sets like he’s Draymond though.

GRIII’s game reminds me of Derrick Soda Machine Williams in that he is the only guy who seems to prefer dribbling the ball into traffic rather than making legible basketball plays. He’s not a bad defender or shooter so it’s not like he’s unplayable as your backup 3 but it’s a little frustrating to say the least.

Bjeli has had a bad/quiet preseason which naturally means he’s probably going to start the season dropping 20 points and 10 boards a night in true Professor Big Shots fashion.

There will be a game this season where Buddy and Guy can’t miss and it will be glorious.

If anything these last two games have shown how unnecessary CoJo is on the roster. By all accounts he seems like a great locker room guy and has apparently connected with Haliburton but the four man guard rotation of Fox/Buddy/Haliburton/Guy just seems like a much more balanced group than having a guy who can offer solid defense and bad iso offense play 20 minutes off the bench.

I also feel way better about this team defensively with Rex running the show than Bob Beyer’s sets last season.
Good stuff, bro.

Curious, but re: CoJo .... do you seem him garnering interest from a playoff contender come trade deadline?

Good stuff, bro.

Curious, but re: CoJo .... do you seem him garnering interest from a playoff contender come trade deadline?
with that contract I doubt it. But I do like that Haliburton has a mentor in Cojo. We can’t just have all young players on the team. Been through that before and it wasn’t good

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Good stuff, bro.

If he does, it's not going to be for a huge return or anything. Probably a second or two and maybe a young guy and cap filler. I could see a team like Brooklyn convincing themselves they're making a title run tonight wanting him for guard depth. There are a couple of contenders who are thin at the guard slot but I'm not sure if he's any better than what they already have. Like the Clippers have Beverly/Lou Williams/Kennard but then after that have nothing and might more defensive help at that slot.

There's probably not much of a market for him now but we'll have to see how the season plays out and who gets injured or not.

Rewatching the game

Agree about GRIII and CoJo. As smoothly as Haliburton has fit with this team, Robinson just doesn’t fit and the why is not clear. He’s athletic, he defends, he shoots. But there’s something missing. Is it his handles or is it chemistry? Something is lacking.
CoJo was way overpaid by Vlade. I really wonder if anyone will be willing to take him at the trade deadline with that salary for a PG who defends well, but is otherwise below average. But as a King, this year, I wouldn’t want to give him minutes that could go toward the development of our more promising young fellas.