Predict opening day roster for 2018-2019

Okay time to see who is the best prognosticator. Guess the Kings opening day 15 man game roster and yes many variables for which to account.

What I think...
Center: WCS, Bagley, KK
PF: Giles, Skal, ZBo
SF: Hezonja, Jackson, Caboclo
SG: Bogdan, Heild, Shumpert
PG: Fox, Mason, Temple

2 Way: Bonga, Sampson

Starters in Bold

Minutes: WCS, Giles, Bagley, ZBo, KK, Hezonja, Jackson, Temple, Bogdan, Heild, Fox

Traded for assets at Deadline: ZBo, Shumpert, Temple. Skal and Mason get minutes

Time spent in Reno: Skal, Mason, Caboclo,

Fun exercise!

Fox Mason Temple
Bogdanovic Hield
Shumpert Doncic Jackson
ZBO Bertans Sampson
Koufos Giles Skal

+1 more contract dump to get a 2019 first rounder.

I think most likely Vlade has his eyes on Doncic. But Kings end up picking lower and Vlade trades WCS + second rounder to move up to get him. He then misses out on high level FAs, signs Bertans of the Spurs and absorbs salary.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'll be more inclined to participate in this after we know our draft position. Also, I believe that Bonga would have to enter his name in the draft, and go undrafted, which I doubt, in order for us to make him a two way player. I'm fairly sure that he would be picked by someone in the 2nd round.

Fun exercise!

Fox Mason Temple
Bogdanovic Hield
Shumpert Doncic Jackson
ZBO Bertans Sampson
Koufos Giles Skal

+1 more contract dump to get a 2019 first rounder.

I think most likely Vlade has his eyes on Doncic. But Kings end up picking lower and Vlade trades WCS + second rounder to move up to get him. He then misses out on high level FAs, signs Bertans of the Spurs and absorbs salary.
Shumpert sorry ass won’t play over Jackson let alone start over Doncic who’d be our best player as soon as he’s drafted

I'll be more inclined to participate in this after we know our draft position. Also, I believe that Bonga would have to enter his name in the draft, and go undrafted, which I doubt, in order for us to make him a two way player. I'm fairly sure that he would be picked by someone in the 2nd round.
Of course, that makes it much easier. In this case you have to project our draft slot.

In the case of Bonga as long as the player doesn’t enter your training camp you can sign them to the Gleague and keep your rights or sign them to a 2 way contract. (See Boston Celtics)

http://www.nba.com/draft/board#/

Kadeem Allen - Celtics 2nd round pick and 2 way player.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'll do this in chunks. The draft pick could be pretty much anyone at this point though we have some idea now of the type of player Vlade likes and where we have positional needs.

UNDER CONTRACT:

De'Aaron Fox
Frank Mason
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Buddy Hield
Justin Jackson
Willie Cauley-Stein
Zach Randolph
Skal Labissiere
Harry Giles

PLAYER OPTIONS:

Kosta Koufos (staying)
Garrett Temple (staying)
Iman Shumpert (gone)

FREE AGENTS:

Vince Carter (retired)
Bruno Caboclo (restricted - gone)

That leaves 4 open spots if we don't pay to retain Caboclo. I'm thinking he's gone because we already have Justin Jackson as a backup SF and I'm going to buy sactowndog's speculation that we're going after Mario Hezonja in Free Agency. Shumpert opting out makes that easier and I think he will because he's in his prime now and doesn't want to waste it riding the pine on a losing team. Kosta and Garrett appear to like it here and have talked about next season as if they plan to be here.

We have two picks in the draft and I expect both will make the roster as that second one is going to be fairly high in the second round. I'd actually try to trade up into a late 20s pick because there might be a team there who wants the cap space more than the guaranteed rookie contact and second round picks aren't guaranteed. If we get first overall, welcome to Sacramento Luka Doncic! But I don't see that as very likely. I'm going to play the odds here and give us the 5th pick. Doncic and Ayton unfortunately are gone but we get one of Jackson, Porter, Bagley or Bamba. I'll make it Mo Bamba as I think he's the guy most likely to be on the board still at 5 plus he has got upside and fills a positional need (remember we'd already have a verbal agreement with Hezonja in my scenario). Trying to nail that second pick is really throwing darts at the board right now so I'm going to go full homer and pencil in a Trojan just for the heck of it. It looks like we need guard depth or a swingman more than we need another big so Metu is out. I'll make it the forgotten man De'Anthony Melton because that's his draft range and he's a good all-around combo guard who can give us third string depth at both backcourt positions.

So with a 99% chance of failure, here's my projected roster for your 2018-2019 Pacific Division champs!

D. Fox | F. Mason | D. Melton
B. Bogdanovic | B. Hield | G. Temple
M. Hezonja | J. Jackson | J. Sampson
Z. Randolph | H. Giles | S. Labissiere
W. Cauley-Stein | M. Bamba | K. Koufos

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Hield/Shumpert
Porter Jr./Temple (unfortunately)/Jackson
Randolph (unfortunately)/Skal/Giles
WCS/Koufos

I'm working on the assumption that everyone opts in and we draft Porter Jr. at like 5th or something. I would love for nothing more to say most of the big man minutes go to the trio of Skal/Giles/WCS, but from we know of Joerger that's not realistic. I took into account his Temple fetish as well.

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Hield/
Hezonja/Temple (resigned)/Jackson
Giles/Randolph/Caboclo
Jokic/JJJ

Major moves:
-Projecting JJJ at #4
-Sign and trade of Jokic to max for WCS and Skal
-Shumpert/Koufos/Temple all opt out, but we resign Temple
-Sign Hezonja to Lou Williams type deal

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Hield/
Hezonja/Temple (resigned)/Jackson
Giles/Randolph/Caboclo
Jokic/JJJ

Major moves:
-Projecting JJJ at #4
-Sign and trade of Jokic to max for WCS and Skal
-Shumpert/Koufos/Temple all opt out, but we resign Temple
-Sign Hezonja to Lou Williams type deal
0 chance we get Jokic but if we did do a sign and trade I’m sure Buddy would be sent packing as well

0 chance we get Jokic but if we did do a sign and trade I’m sure Buddy would be sent packing as well
Hahaha, I’m trying to speak it into existence, like Lavar Ball. Also, sold on shipping Buddy in the deal. No problem.

Jokic was made for vintage era Kings basketball. That man needs to be in an NBA city with a really rabid fanbase. The Nuggets are the 4th most popular team in CO, and are really just a neat way to pass the time between the end of the Broncos season and the NFL draft or Avs playoffs—whichever comes first. The Nuggets can maybe sneak past the Rockies to be 3rd if the Rockies are down. Jokic deserves better.

I’m not convinced Jokic does just take the qualifying offer and become a free agent in 19. If so we would have enough space if we renounced Willie, Skal and Jackson to sign two max free agents.

How would a team with this line-up sound:
Bigs: Ayton, Jokic, Giles
Wings: Hezonja, Leonard, Bogdan, Heild
Ball Handlers: Fox, Mason.

I’m not convinced Jokic does just take the qualifying offer and become a free agent in 19. If so we would have enough space if we renounced Willie, Skal and Jackson to sign two max free agents.

How would a team with this line-up sound:
Bigs: Ayton, Jokic, Giles
Wings: Hezonja, Leonard, Bogdan, Heild
Ball Handlers: Fox, Mason.
Is the Leonard guys supposed to be Kawhi? If so stop it and if we pick high enough to get Ayton I hope we can get Doncic instead.

What makes you think Jokic wouldn’t take the qualifying offer? I thought it’s in Denver’s hand where they offer it to him this off season and if a team is dumb enough to offer a max they just match. Or are you saying they offer the qualifying offer but Jokic doesn’t sign with anybody

Is the Leonard guys supposed to be Kawhi? If so stop it and if we pick high enough to get Ayton I hope we can get Doncic instead.

What makes you think Jokic wouldn’t take the qualifying offer? I thought it’s in Denver’s hand where they offer it to him this off season and if a team is dumb enough to offer a max they just match. Or are you saying they offer the qualifying offer but Jokic doesn’t sign with anybody
Yes both are free agents in summer of 19. Spurs are getting older so some chance he leaves.

Vlade is putting together a team with the style he he knows. Passing oriented.

If we have Ayton, Fox, Giles and Bogdan as a core and we can sign two top level free agents a remote chance exists they come...
Lots of ifs however....
If we get Ayton
If Fox learns to pass
If Giles is as good as rumors
If Bogdan takes another step forward.
If Jokic plays on his option year this year.

What makes you think Jokic wouldn’t take the qualifying offer? I thought it’s in Denver’s hand where they offer it to him this off season and if a team is dumb enough to offer a max they just match. Or are you saying they offer the qualifying offer but Jokic doesn’t sign
with anybody
I’m saying Jokic chooses to play for the qualifying offer to be an UFA the next year. It’s possible or Denver picks up the team option so they have room to sign another free agent with him. Denver is equally attractive to someone like Leonard but they need to lose people in 19 then sign him then sign Jokic I believe. So it’s a risk for Denver they sign him.

Okay time to see who is the best prognosticator. Guess the Kings opening day 15 man game roster and yes many variables for which to account.

What I think...
Center: WCS, Bagley, KK
PF: Giles, Skal, ZBo
SF: Hezonja, Jackson, Caboclo
SG: Bogdan, Heild, Shumpert
PG: Fox, Mason, Temple

2 Way: Bonga, Sampson

Starters in Bold

Minutes: WCS, Giles, Bagley, ZBo, KK, Hezonja, Jackson, Temple, Bogdan, Heild, Fox

Traded for assets at Deadline: ZBo, Shumpert, Temple. Skal and Mason get minutes

Time spent in Reno: Skal, Mason, Caboclo,
Still thinking I might stick with this....:)

PG: Fox/ Mason
SG: Hield/ Bogdan
SF: Porter Jr/ Hood
PF: Gordon/Giles/Randolph
C: WCS/Koufas

Or

PG: Fox/Mason
SG: Smart/Bogdan
SF: Brown/Jackson
C: Koufas/Giles

Or

PG: Fox, Mason
SG: Hield/Bogdan
SF: Parker/Jackson
C: Ayton/Giles

Or

SG: Hield, Bogdan
SF: Doncic/Hood

PG: Fox/ Mason
SG: Hield/ Bogdan
SF: Porter Jr/ Hood

Or

PG: Fox/Mason
SG: Smart/Bogdan
SF: Brown/Jackson
C: Koufas/Giles

Or

SG: Hield/Bogdan
SF: Parker/Jackson
C: Ayton/Giles

Or

SG: Hield, Bogdan
SF: Doncic/Hood
I'm hoping we toss a bone to Gordon but think Orlando matches.

Considering Joerger's ways and doncic is drafted.

PG Fox/Temple/2nd round pick or Mason
SG Doncic/Hield in early and Doncic slides to SF
SF Shumpert/Bogdan
PF Randolph/ Skal & Giles battle it out could go either way
C WCS/KK

I think our bench has some promise this year. Temple will pest defensively on most pg's, Hield comes in early as 6th man, Bogdan or Doncic will always be on the floor to help facilitate our lack of steller passing from the pg's as excellent compliments, and if we can get Skal or Giles to be able to land 2 3's a night at a reliable rate or more to space the floor, I think the bench can do some damage.

Some of you guys think Shump is washed up, he has had some seasons where he was deadly from 3, especially the corner 3.

2016-2017 was 49% from one corner 3

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=2016&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=202697

2012-2013 48% & 46.5% corner 3
http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=2012&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=202697

If he can hit 40% corner 3's I think he is going to see the floor more than you guys would like.

Last edited:
I want to see a three-team trade with Kings, Grizzlies and Heat in which:

Memphis Trade - Gasol and Brooks
Memphis Receive - Randolph & Temple (Kings) plus Winslow & Adebayo (Heat)

Miami Trade - Winslow, Adebayo & Olynyk
Miami Receive - WCS, JJ and Skal (Kings)

Sacramento Trade - Randolph, Temple, Cauley-Stein, Jackson and Labissiere
Sacramento Receive - Gasol & Brooks (Grizzlies) plus Olynyk (Heat)

This should leave us with roughly $83.5mil after we pick #2 which should allow us to sign Dante Exum, Aron Baynes and Wagner in the 2nd Round. We re-sign Samson for his intensity.

This gives us the following:

PG: Fox | Exum | Mason
SG: Bogdanovic | Hield
SF: Porter or Doncic | Brooks | Shumpert | Sampson
PF: Giles | Olynyk | Wagner
C: Gasol | Koufos | Baynes

44 wins and playoff bound.

PG: Fox,Mason,Javon carter
SG: Bogs,Buddy,Temple
SF: Luka,JJ,Inman
PF: WCS,Giles, Skal
C: Nurkic, KK,Zbo

I still think Luka, Carter for 1st 2nd
WCS,Giles,Nurkic 3 big rotation - has rebounding,defense, Offense
Temple,Inman,KK, Zbo Feb trades for assets/Picks , Future cap space

I'm hoping we toss a bone to Gordon but think Orlando matches.

Considering Joerger's ways and doncic is drafted.

PG Fox/Temple/2nd round pick or Mason
SG Doncic/Hield in early and Doncic slides to SF
SF Shumpert/Bogdan
PF Randolph/ Skal & Giles battle it out could go either way
C WCS/KK

I think our bench has some promise this year. Temple will pest defensively on most pg's, Hield comes in early as 6th man, Bogdan or Doncic will always be on the floor to help facilitate our lack of steller passing from the pg's as excellent compliments, and if we can get Skal or Giles to be able to land 2 3's a night at a reliable rate or more to space the floor, I think the bench can do some damage.

Some of you guys think Shump is washed up, he has had some seasons where he was deadly from 3, especially the corner 3.

2016-2017 was 49% from one corner 3

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=2016&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=202697

2012-2013 48% & 46.5% corner 3
http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=2012&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=202697

If he can hit 40% corner 3's I think he is going to see the floor more than you guys would like.
I think it's less about Shump being washed up and more about him being a fairly pointless addition to the team. I'm sure he's going to be a solid defensive mentor to the young players but it doesn't really matter to me if he shoots 30% or 50% from 3 because he's not going to be here after this year and his minutes will more than likely take away from a younger player that needs them to develop.

I could absolutely see Joerger throwing that lineup out there and it would probably make me throw up in my mouth a little.

This wont be the opening day roster, but this is the type of team I would look to build.

C- Giles--- Dedmon--Mahinmi

PF- Bagley---Kidd Gilchrist---Z Bo---Skal

SF- Oubre Jr---Kidd Gilchrist---J.Jackson

SG- Bogi---Temple---Napier---36th Pick

PG- Fox---S.Napier---Frank The Tank

Draft Bagley @ 2

Draft Shooting guard @ 36

WCS/Koufos Traded to Charlotte for Michael Kidd Gilchrist

Hield/Shumpert to Wash For Oubre Jr/Mahinmi/2nd Rounder

Sign Shabazz Napier for 3 years

Sign Dwayne Dedmon 3 years

We add two great defenders that can switch everything - Oubre & MKG.

Bagley brings a rebounding and scoring leader to the team.

Shabazz brings some shooting and experience to balance out the PG spot.

Dedmon- can hit the three and is solid defensively.

Draft a future backup shooting guard at # 36 - Let Temple mentor him for a year.

Last edited:
I like this idea

1) Luka Doncic
2) DeAaron Fox
3) Bogdan Bogdonovich
4) WCS
5) KK
6) Garrett Temple
7) Frank Mason
8) Buddy Hield
9) Nigel Hayes
10) Zach Randolph
11) Iman Shumpert
12) Justin Jackson
13) Skal Labissiere
14) Harry Giles
15) Wilson Chandler

I think it's less about Shump being washed up and more about him being a fairly pointless addition to the team. I'm sure he's going to be a solid defensive mentor to the young players but it doesn't really matter to me if he shoots 30% or 50% from 3 because he's not going to be here after this year and his minutes will more than likely take away from a younger player that needs them to develop.

I could absolutely see Joerger throwing that lineup out there and it would probably make me throw up in my mouth a little.

You can count on Shumpert being the starter at 3. Day 1. Regardless of who they draft.
Joerger will never give the keys to a Rook.
That you can count on.

PF Giles / Skal / ZBo
SF Doncic / JJ / Temple
C WCS / KK / Metu
SG Buddy / Bogdan / Shumpert
PG Fox / Mason

Bogdan our super 6th Man.

2 Way player: Jakarr Sampson

Predictions:

Buddy will average 20 pts per game!

Giles and Doncic will both be either 1st or 2nd team all rookie team!

Kings will surprise the world and go 45-37 and make the playoffs as the #8 seed!

How do you like that for bold prognostication!?! ;)