Possible Free agents

How about bringing in Doug McDermott to compete with JJ for minutes? His numbers have been pretty consistent throughout the years. Career averages of 20.9mins: 7.9pts 2.3rebs 0.9asts 0.6tos on 45.2/40.3/82.2.

I think McDermott would do a great job spreading the floor, and it would help open the driving lanes for Fox. I don't see him as a starter for us, but maybe the 7th man off the bench? He can't be any worse than JJ on defense against wings.

I'd give him 2 years $8million. Our pitch would include the possibility of being our starting SF as long as he beats out JJ and any other wing we bring in.

How about bringing in Doug McDermott to compete with JJ for minutes? His numbers have been pretty consistent throughout the years. Career averages of 20.9mins: 7.9pts 2.3rebs 0.9asts 0.6tos on 45.2/40.3/82.2.

I think McDermott would do a great job spreading the floor, and it would help open the driving lanes for Fox. I don't see him as a starter for us, but maybe the 7th man off the bench? He can't be any worse than JJ on defense against wings.

I'd give him 2 years $8million. Our pitch would include the possibility of being our starting SF as long as he beats out JJ and any other wing we bring in.
To me McBuckets is the guy you over pay a bit for in late September beceause you wiffed on a few guys you would rather have.

If it is in his character to play bad and lazy on purpose in a game "the organization wants to lose", then I don't want him.
Might have nothing to do with character. Every player is motivated differently but basically motivation comes down to three main factors: 1) fear of failure 2) desire for glory 3) love of competing/winning. When you are the last one and your playing in a tank game where winning is losing... it’s hard to be motivated. Especially playing for a team with whom you have no future.

Judging him off one game in a tankfest is not a great plan.

I don't like Aaron Gordon at max. He does not draw fouls enough. He is bad at pull up shooting and average at catch and shoot. I'm not sure that he can ever be a #1 or even #2 option on offense. And he does not do anything else well enough to justify a max offer.

I don't like Hezonja. His foot speed is so slow that he will get destroyed in pick and roll defense. Our defense is already bad enough as it is.

I like Rodney Hood but he is an average efficiency high usage scorer. I feel that Bogdan and/or Hield already provide what Hood does best.

I really like Jabari Parker. He has the offensive skill set to be a #1 option on offense someday. The only drawback is that he does draw fouls enough. His catch and shoot is already good enough that he can at least be the stretch 4. Would like to go after him if the price is right.

Another the guy I like is Mike Muscala. He has an upcoming player option that if he opts out, would like to go after him if the price is right. A stretch 5 with good 3 point stroke and serviceable defense.

I don't like Aaron Gordon at max. He does not draw fouls enough. He is bad at pull up shooting and average at catch and shoot. I'm not sure that he can ever be a #1 or even #2 option on offense. And he does not do anything else well enough to justify a max offer.

I don't like Hezonja. His foot speed is so slow that he will get destroyed in pick and roll defense. Our defense is already bad enough as it is.

I like Rodney Hood but he is an average efficiency high usage scorer. I feel that Bogdan and/or Hield already provide what Hood does best.

I really like Jabari Parker. He has the offensive skill set to be a #1 option on offense someday. The only drawback is that he does draw fouls enough. His catch and shoot is already good enough that he can at least be the stretch 4. Would like to go after him if the price is right.

Another the guy I like is Mike Muscala. He has an upcoming player option that if he opts out, would like to go after him if the price is right. A stretch 5 with good 3 point stroke and serviceable defense.
We will sign Bjlecia over Muscala and he’s wsy better. He did a very good job starting for Minnesota at SF when Butler was hurt so he’s definitely a SF/PF Guy.

Meh, why? He basically hasn't improved since he got to the NBA and while an elite floor spacer, doesn't provide much else. I'd rather just hope we can turn JJ into a 37%+ 3pt shooter and get the more complete player with him.

Just seems like a lateral move that doesn't really improve anything.

So our hope is Boston can close this out next game and Milwaukee is out in the first round, losing to a team without 2 of its 3 best players. You'd think it would at least give them pause to matching a 4/80 deal to Parker if he's really the right "2nd" piece next to Giannis for them long-term. My guess is they're hoping they can get a 2-3 year deal at 12-15 mil/season and then if he does rebound to form, they give him his big money on his next contract. But if they can't even beat a vastly depleted Celtics team? Is that really worth investing in?

Might be an opportunity for us.

One guy I'm really looking into as a quality option for us is Will Barton.

Can play and defend the 1-2-3, can create his own shot, operates well as a secondary playmaker, pretty decent defender, can hit the 3. He's just got a great profile to fit in with Fox-Buddy-Bogdan and can play well with any of them. Even if you draft a MPJ or Porter, you know you're still going to be getting great production from him off the bench or you can bring them slower off the bench

He's in the second or third tier of FA's that likely won't gain a ton of traction early on in the FA process. But he's a quality player that fills a lot of holes we currently have on the wings. Would be totally cool with 3/45 or something to that extent. He's still young too at just 27, just entering his prime.

One guy I'm really looking into as a quality option for us is Will Barton.

Can play and defend the 1-2-3, can create his own shot, operates well as a secondary playmaker, pretty decent defender, can hit the 3. He's just got a great profile to fit in with Fox-Buddy-Bogdan and can play well with any of them. Even if you draft a MPJ or Porter, you know you're still going to be getting great production from him off the bench or you can bring them slower off the bench

He's in the second or third tier of FA's that likely won't gain a ton of traction early on in the FA process. But he's a quality player that fills a lot of holes we currently have on the wings. Would be totally cool with 3/45 or something to that extent. He's still young too at just 27, just entering his prime.
I like Will Barton a lot as far as realistic Kings targets go. He's really coming into his own and can put points up on the board in a hurry. He also rebounds well for his size and handles the ball well.

Only thing I don't agree with is his ability to defend. I've never seen him as anything other than a poor defender. Not a complete sieve on that end or anything but below average for sure.

I like Will Barton a lot as far as realistic Kings targets go. He's really coming into his own and can put points up on the board in a hurry. He also rebounds well for his size and handles the ball well.

Only thing I don't agree with is his ability to defend. I've never seen him as anything other than a poor defender. Not a complete sieve on that end or anything but below average for sure.
Like his game but definitely conflicts with Buddy's role. Also he didn't take a good look to win the game on denvers season finale.

Like his game but definitely conflicts with Buddy's role. Also he didn't take a good look to win the game on denvers season finale.
He takes some bad shots but he would probably be our best player. I thought about the conflict with Buddy's role as well but they made it work in Denver with a handful of fairly similar players in Murray, Gary Harris, Devin Harris and Barton.

Barton is fine but they should focus on 6'8 or taller wings....isn't Barton an undersized SF of he played there.
Who would be your pick?

Barton can play PG, SG and SF. In order, he's best at SG, PG and then SF. He's a versatile option that can put points on the board without needing someone to set him up all the time. He's also a solid facilitator. Basically has an identical assist to turnover ratio as Bogdan. Rebounds a lot better than Bogdan does though.

I'm not sure who all is available but the only guy I'd consider over him of the guys we've talked about so far would be Parker....and even that's a maybe. Parker just has a lot of holes in his game that would have me worried if we wound up giving him a decent sized contract.

I don't think so at all. Whether you brought him off the bench as the lead playmaker, or a secondary playmaker with the starters, he'd be a really good fit with the current core we have. If we did draft a MPJ or one of the Bridges, having a Buddy/Barton off the bench as 2 super-subs gives us a really nice advantage. I think he'd help take a lot of pressure off Fox and Bogdan too as playmakers with the starters and let them ease into their development rather than take the full load of running the team.

Barton can flex anywhere on the wing and while Buddy vastly improved as a playmaker and creating off his own bounce last year, he's not anywhere close to where Barton currently is as a playmaker. That would only improve his game if both guys came off the bench as he wouldn't be the sole focus of the defense on the 2nd unit.

Fox || Barton
Bogdan || Buddy
MPJ/Mikal || Barton
Skal || ZBO
WCS || Koufos

That can legitimately be a good 9-man rotation. We need to continue to see the growth from all the young guys obviously, but I think Barton works as an awesome "glue" piece that's affordable, realistic for us, and makes the lives of everyone easier.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
He takes some bad shots but he would probably be our best player. I thought about the conflict with Buddy's role as well but they made it work in Denver with a handful of fairly similar players in Murray, Gary Harris, Devin Harris and Barton.

Who would be your pick?

Barton can play PG, SG and SF. In order, he's best at SG, PG and then SF. He's a versatile option that can put points on the board without needing someone to set him up all the time. He's also a solid facilitator. Basically has an identical assist to turnover ratio as Bogdan. Rebounds a lot better than Bogdan does though.

I'm not sure who all is available but the only guy I'd consider over him of the guys we've talked about so far would be Parker....and even that's a maybe. Parker just has a lot of holes in his game that would have me worried if we wound up giving him a decent sized contract.
I don't have another name but I'd rather not be undersized at SF and if we give him a big deal, he becomes our SF.....I'd rather be bigger at SF.....just don't know who at this point. Not sure I agree with him being our best player but he is good.

I don't have another name but I'd rather not be undersized at SF and if we give him a big deal, he becomes our SF.....I'd rather be bigger at SF.....just don't know who at this point. Not sure I agree with him being our best player but he is good.
I'm thinking of him more as a backup PG than a SF but a lot of it is going to depend on what happens with the draft. Might wind up with both if Mikal gets selected.

I'm thinking of him more as a backup PG than a SF but a lot of it is going to depend on what happens with the draft. Might wind up with both if Mikal gets selected.
He'd be a 6th man for us... just not a big fan of all these SGs on the team. Bogdan and Buddy is enough. If we add in Barton, it's likely going to result in a decrease of mins for Buddy or Bogdan.

He'd be a 6th man for us... just not a big fan of all these SGs on the team. Bogdan and Buddy is enough. If we add in Barton, it's likely going to result in a decrease of mins for Buddy or Bogdan.
If I was the coach I'd have him playing most of his minutes at backup PG and then a little SF against small ball lineups.

If I was the coach I'd have him playing most of his minutes at backup PG and then a little SF against small ball lineups.
I don't think Barton distributes the ball well enough to be a backup PG. He reminds me of Jamal Crawford. Just looked up their stats for this season and their assists% actually isn't that far off. Barton is at 18.5% while Crawford is at 16.9%. I don't think anyone would consider Crawford their backup point.

I'd be ok with the Barton signing if we didn't already have both Bogdan and Buddy. Barton can play a little SF in small ball lineups...but something along the lines of Fox-Buddy-Barton-Bogdan down the stretch wouldn't work. This is why he'd be taking Bogdan or Buddy's minutes... and then people will be wondering why they regressed next year.

I just don't like the fit. He's not a need for this team. Doesn't fill a positional need. He's older at 28. Timeline just doesn't align. Plus, he'll be expensive...

I don't think Barton distributes the ball well enough to be a backup PG. He reminds me of Jamal Crawford. Just looked up their stats for this season and their assists% actually isn't that far off. Barton is at 18.5% while Crawford is at 16.9%. I don't think anyone would consider Crawford their backup point.

I'd be ok with the Barton signing if we didn't already have both Bogdan and Buddy. Barton can play a little SF in small ball lineups...but something along the lines of Fox-Buddy-Barton-Bogdan down the stretch wouldn't work. This is why he'd be taking Bogdan or Buddy's minutes... and then people will be wondering why they regressed next year.

I just don't like the fit. He's not a need for this team. Doesn't fill a positional need. He's older at 28. Timeline just doesn't align. Plus, he'll be expensive...
Ive been a big advocate that if Buddy or Bogs was involved in a trade, then Barton wpuld be a good FA target

I realize we are all basking in the #2 pick sunshine, but I'm also curious how this will make our FA prospects shake out as well.
It will have a massive impact on who we go after in free agency. I suspect the front office would (or should) have two separate lists to work through. If the pick is Luka, then these are the FA of interest. If the pick if Ayton then this is the FA list and if the pick is Bagley or JJ then this is the list.

We got lucky and got to top 2. Now we need to get lucky and hopefully Ayton gets to us. What we then have is genuine opportunity to change the fortunes of this franchise very quickly. All of a sudden, you also have a possible trade chip in WCS and free agency to address the SF position.