One Good thing out of the Signing of Salmons...

Before I respond more what do you expect out of a backup PG?

It's also been reported that Musselman wanted him. That seems to indicate to me that Muss and Petrie just might see something in Salmons none of us have noticed. I still say I'm going to wait and see what happens before I proclaim this to be a bad move on the part of the Kings.
That I can agree with. We are not the pro's basically armchair action.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I expect the backup point guard to be able to bring the ball up the court, get it to our offensive options, NOT bounce it off his own foot into the stands on a regular basis and hopefully be able to at least keep up with the opposing PG. (The last one is somewhat flexible since our starting PG can't always manage it, either... ;) )

If he has a move inside, that's a bonus because it draws coverage away from our shooters.

Basically, though, I want someone out there who won't let things go to hell in a handcart while Bibby grabs some much-needed rest on the bench. I found myself thinking "Oh, no" every single time Jason Hart took the court. I would like to be able to not think that when Salmons is out there, and I'm hopeful right now that it will work out.

I expect the backup point guard to be able to bring the ball up the court, get it to our offensive options, NOT bounce it off his own foot into the stands on a regular basis and hopefully be able to at least keep up with the opposing PG. (The last one is somewhat flexible since our starting PG can't always manage it, either... ;) )

If he has a move inside, that's a bonus because it draws coverage away from our shooters.

Basically, though, I want someone out there who won't let things go to hell in a handcart while Bibby grabs some much-needed rest on the bench. I found myself thinking "Oh, no" every single time Jason Hart took the court. I would like to be able to not think that when Salmons is out there, and I'm hopeful right now that it will work out.
I can respect that for sure. I am more leaning towards that spark plug of bjax type but I know that's not going to happen. Especially with what is out there.

I am in a wait and see, lot of unknowns here. Muss + new guys and the entire team. However I would be lieing if I said I wasn't "troubled or concenred" with this pickup. To me its more about the cost, not the player.

LOL if that makes any sense, none of my stuff does

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Unfortunatrely not bouncing the ball off your own foot is not worth $25mil. Or if it is, I'm going to be rich baby!

This is the sort of deal we were making fun of the Wolves signing all their PGs to -- they have a whole stack of them up there at about this price.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Is this still the case? ESPN is reporting it's 5 yrs at $25 mil so...
That is about $5 million per year average, but the deal starts at $4.4 million (I think) and goes up from there, so about $800 k is left of the $5.2 million MLE this year.

Edit - ooops - VF beat me to it.

The 800K will most likely go to one of our training camp invites that makes the squad. You can't do much with 800K in the NBA. Price is making just under 700K...so...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The 800K will most likely go to one of our training camp invites that makes the squad. You can't do much with 800K in the NBA. Price is making just under 700K...so...
True, but it is $800k that is available that wouldn't have been had they paid the full MLE.

Bricklayer

True, but it is $800k that is available that wouldn't have been had they paid the full MLE.
Which is nice and all, and technically correct of course, but its still basically the full MLE and $5mil a year. That $800,000 can't be used for much of anything as it is lower than both the LLE or even the vet minimum.

Last edited:
Which is nice and all, and technically correct of course, but its still basically the full MLE and $5mil a year. That $800,000 can't be used for much of anything as it is lower than both the LLE or even the vet minimum.

Didnt Mike James get a similiar contract from the Wolves? If that's the case I would rather have him than Salmon.

Hi, just wanted to say "hi"- my first day on the board, but I like the board and am excited to post.

I like the Salmons signing. I'm not going to stand up for him because I don't know much about him, but I like what I hear and think that he could be a diamond in the rough, like many we've brought in over the years.

It says something when three of the best GM's in the game were looking at him. Plus, he seems to be intense, smart on the ball, aggressive, and tempermental about losing and underperformance. Who does that remind you of?

I know one thing- Geoff Petrie knows this game and management better than I do, and trust that this is not a stand-alone move. I think there's more on the horizon, and that this guy is used to a backup role and can fill in capably.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hi, just wanted to say "hi"- my first day on the board, but I like the board and am excited to post.

I like the Salmons signing. I'm not going to stand up for him because I don't know much about him, but I like what I hear and think that he could be a diamond in the rough, like many we've brought in over the years.

It says something when three of the best GM's in the game were looking at him. Plus, he seems to be intense, smart on the ball, aggressive, and tempermental about losing and underperformance. Who does that remind you of?

I know one thing- Geoff Petrie knows this game and management better than I do, and trust that this is not a stand-alone move. I think there's more on the horizon, and that this guy is used to a backup role and can fill in capably.
Welcome!

Be sure and check out the Lounge and make your mark on our Kingsfans.com map!!!

:D

Kings seem to be going backwards with the salmons move, what happen to the toughness and Defensive identity that the organization wanted to bring to the team. Players like salmons and martin and Garcia fit the adleman mode of offensive development. I see no real physical presence intimadating wise or defensive presence that is intimidating and physical which was a style of play that the organization stated how they wanted to mold the team after. Salmons is a player that can dribble shoot and pass but he isn't a master at any of those skills. He thinks shot first and pass second, He tends to waste his dribble and get's doubled teamed as a result which causes turnovers for himself. He is like a black hole in a way because of how he looks at the game which is shot shot first. He's a average defender and there isn't really too much after this.

Hopefully the Team can intergrate him into a philopsophy that fits what the team wants to accomplish because he does have some skills that can help the Team and multiple ways if they can get him on a page to play in a team system.But to tell you the truth i have no idea what type of squad that the kings are molding, I see no style or identity with the pieces that they have and more importantly that defensive toughenss and physical nature that they claim that they wanted is non existing.

Zulu:

Garcia/Martin/Salmons are all long, athletic, and quick players. Garcia/Martin showed last year they're above-average to solid defensively at least. I've heard similar about Salmons and his build suggests it. They can still improve under a more defensive-minded coach in Musselman. Who likes to pressure the ball and emphasizes defense. Garcia/Martin have all added significant muscle. Salmons has a new situation and will have a consistent role here. Salmons versatility I expect to be a value off the bench.

You also have to realize, there are 2-3 months left in the off-season. Petrie/Muss have said numerous times they want to do trades and improve the interior defense. Brad lobbied for this as well with "PF/C" depth.

With the off-season and a new direction and improving the team, you have to have a sense of time and patience, and an open-mind.

Last edited:
okay guys like i said i was born in sacto but currently live in pa and get all the philly games. I watched many of the games and what i saw in Salmons was an excelent defender, and aggresive scorer. Not close as aggresive as Bonzi but an great back up for Bibby. He's a good spark of the bench. But Bonzi is definetly better. TRUST ME. But i have to say good things bout' him cause he's a king now.

John Salmons file
Position: Guard/forward.

Birthplace: Philadelphia.

Vitals: 6-foot-6, 207 pounds.

Pronounced: SAL-muns.

College: Miami (Fla.).

Drafted: 2002, first round, 26th overall by San Antonio. The 76ers acquired his rights in a draft-night trade.

Career stats (all with Philadelphia)

Year, Gms, RPG, APG, PPG

02-03, 64, 0.9, 0.7, 2.1

03-04, 77, 2.5, 1.7, 5.8

04-05, 58, 2.1, 2.0, 4.1

05-06, 82 2.7, 2.7, 7.5

Career 281, 2.1, 1.8, 5.1

Gms-games; RBG-rebounds per game; APG-assists per game;

PPG-points per game

Source: NBA.com.

let's give this guy a chance because i know for a fact he didnt get many minutes and was playing with AI and C-Webb who take most of the scoring load for da sixers. He has a great shooting percentage and a decent talent but he aint no Bonzi Well i can tell you that. Lets see how he fairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

let's give this guy a chance because i know for a fact he didnt get many minutes and was playing with AI and C-Webb who take most of the scoring load for da sixers. He has a great shooting percentage and a decent talent but he aint no Bonzi Well i can tell you that. Lets see how he fairs.
Sigh. You're in PA, so I shouldn't have to tell you this: John Salmons has averaged over 20mpg for the last 3 years. Lots of time. And lots of time BEFORE Webb ever arrived. And in fact had his most productive season WITH Webb and A.I. together. He is also a lousy shooter -- career 40%, closer to 30% from three.

Game is to the hoop, and has some skills there, but decisionmaking is suspect and he forces a lot.

Does better as a starter than a reserve, and just in general does better when allowed to just play his game without worrying about teammates. Doesn't make people better, and has yet to really integrate his game into a team concept.

As an aside, he's big for a PG, but he's not a great athlete, and not an impact defender. In fact has a lot of lapses and lazy periods. The size is useful though and the feeling has always been that maybe he had some potential on that end. But he's sloppy mentally and the effort is all over the place.

i'm thinking Salmons can be a Josh Howard type of guy for the Kings . 6'6' long and agile. I bet nobody ever predicted Josh Howard to be the player he is right now if not given the chance. So i'm thinking Petrie saw something along this lines. A defensive role player who can be developed.