One Good thing out of the Signing of Salmons...

Indeed, everybody should just close their eyes, click their heels together 3 times, and repeat "questioning Geoff scares me" and it will all turn out all right.
Is this before or after we attribute all good trades and signings to the Maloofs and reflexively blame Petrie for everything else?

Why he didn't get a big like Wright/Cato/Kandi? I don't know, must have future plans, since there is, uh, 2-3 months left in the off-season (deals do go down in October too).
I don't disagree with any of that^... but I'm still not sure how any of that makes this a good move. This is a decent chunk of money(and years) that could have been spent elswhere, I think that's my biggest gripe.

I have done the clicking and tossed salt over the shoulder and Water on my head. We still do not have KG, this magic is not all it's cracked up to be :D

I still say we give the kid a shot before we blast him or lable him as useless. Also, let's wait and see what else Petrie does this summer before we burn him in effigy. I think that we all may be overreacting.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I still say we give the kid a shot before we blast him or lable him as useless. Also, let's wait and see what else Petrie does this summer before we burn him in effigy. I think that we all may be overreacting.
The kid (not really a kid anymore) will have his shot. Of course he's ALREADY had his shot. This isn't a rookie. Its a vet. Everybody knows what he is and is not. Suffice it to say that barring an incredible rash of injuries, he's not earning a 5yr $25mil salary.

Its as if we dropped the MLE for 5 years on Rodeny Buford that year we picked him up. After all he averaged better numbers than Salmons did last year.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess I'm just not going to buy into the unnecessary cynicism. It's NOT that big a deal, IMHO. Maybe it is and I've missed the whole point, but some people are acting like we just gave Mateen Cleaves a $80 million deal or something.

I don't think Petrie is a fool. I think he has a better grasp of the whole picture than we could possibly have and I'm going to wait and see what happens.

I agree with VF, why not give him a chance. $25 mil over 5 years is not a big contract. Plus lets see how he fits in Mussleman's system, I'm sure he will do much better in a Kings uniform than playing with A.I. here he will get a chance to see what he can do.

Bricklayer

I agree with VF, why not give him a chance. $25 mil over 5 years is not a big contract.

Um...what are you talking about. Of course its a big contract. Especially for this level of "talent". We now own John Salmons as much money as we owe KT. May have heard of that contract -- the one of which everybody would like to be free.

Its one of the larger ones signed this summer. 1 more year, but same amount of cash paid to Mike James. More than Banks. More than the Darius contract we were all aghast at. A little less than Nazr or Pryzbilla.

Hmm...
Mike James 4yrs $25mil
Pryzbilla 5yrs $32mil
Nazr 5yrs $30mil
Salmons 5yrs $25mil

Wonder which team there got the short end of the proverbial stick.

edit -- I take back a mistaken comment I've made about Kenny several times tonight -- he still has 5 years left on his deal, not 4.

Last edited:
Are you NUTS?

Sorry, but it has to be asked. Of course its a big contract. Especially for this level of "talent". We now own John Salmons as much money as we owe KT. May have heard of that contract -- the one of which everybody would like to be free.

kt and salmons are 2 completely different players. kt is just about is tall as john but thinks he can play at power foward. the problem with kt is he is a tweener.

Are you NUTS?

Sorry, but it has to be asked. Of course its a big contract. Especially for this level of "talent". We now own John Salmons as much money as we owe KT. May have heard of that contract -- the one of which everybody would like to be free.
DO YOU LOOK AT OTHER CONTRACTS IN THE NBA? Salmons contract is less than the average contract in the NBA. I don't think that is bad for a back-up point guard and what do you care if he is overpaid or doesn't earn his contract, you ain't paying his salary. If coach likes him as VF reported, I think Mussleman knows more about talent than you! Why not give him a chance Brick? Everybody is going off by what he did in Philly, where he never saw the ball next to A. I. and Webb, lets see what he does here. And yes by the way I am nuts. Thank You!!

Bricklayer

kt and salmons are 2 completely different players. kt is just about is tall as john but thinks he can play at power foward. the problem with kt is he is a tweener.

Indeed, KT's career numbers are 10.7pts 7.4rebs. Salmons 5.1pts 2.1reb. comapratively KT is an All-Star.

But that is alright, you are clearly the board's first Salmons jocker, and its a grand tradition around here to always have at least one jocker for anybody who shows up in a Kings uni. And since I fear John is going to need all the jocktitude he can get in the upcoming years, jock away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Musselman wanted him. He did GOOD in the limited time he played as AI's backup at the 1 for Philly last year. I think he could work out quite nicely. I like the idea of having someone with some experience to back up Bibby more than I like the idea of having either Hart, Price or Douby do the deed.

Indeed, KT's career numbers are 10.7pts 7.4rebs. Salmons 5.1pts 2.1reb. comapratively KT is an All-Star.

But that is alright, you are clearly the board's first Salmons jocker, and its a grand tradition around here to always have at least one jocker for anybody who shows up in a Kings uni. And since I fear John is going to need all the jocktitude he can get in the upcoming years, jock away.

all i am going to say is REMEMBER MY NAME and i will talk to you about the situation once the season starts. until then we can go back and forth all we want but we will not see each others sides. give the guy a chance. secondly salmons does not have the same "i need to start" attitude as kt. that is the main problem with kt is his attitude.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Sure he could work out to be better than his numbers indicate, but I think the only real advantages here was a contract that is moveable down the road, and not a cap suck in 5 years.

I prety much have to agree with Brick about this jsut not looking good... I REALLY hope I am wrong!

Musselman wanted him. He did GOOD in the limited time he played as AI's backup at the 1 for Philly last year. I think he could work out quite nicely. I like the idea of having someone with some experience to back up Bibby more than I like the idea of having either Hart, Price or Douby do the deed.
Agreed.

It's amazing how we can think better at night, when it cools down.

Bricklayer

DO YOU LOOK AT OTHER CONTRACTS IN THE NBA? Salmons contract is less than the average contract in the NBA. I don't think that is bad for a back-up point guard and what do you care if he is overpaid or doesn't earn his contract, you ain't paying his salary. If coach likes him as VF reported, I think Mussleman knows more about talent than you! Why not give him a chance Brick? Everybody is going off by what he did in Philly, where he never saw the ball next to A. I. and Webb, lets see what he does here. And yes by the way I am nuts. Thank You!!
Nope, never looked at a single other contract in the NBA. Do they actually have them?

You are welcome to your opinion about Muss, based no doubt upon the incredible success he has had in the league to date.

What you seem to lack is any feel fro scope or consequences. When you sign a John Salmons to a $5mil ayear deal for forever, thta has costs. You pin yourself financially by dumpig large sums of money into marginally productive players that could be replaced far more cheaply. You don't just get a high-priced Salmons, you can't afford soembody with more talent.

A year from now, after John has averaged his normal 5pts 2reb 2ast for his $5mil, this place will be all abuzz about how can we get free of this contract.

prior to this i thought everyone was on the garcia-artest ballhandling wagon, no? or am i remembering things incorrectly? i certainly like ron more handling the ball than salmons.

is it odd that all of this talk of signing salmon has made me want to eat fish?
Im thinking about going to the store to get some fish..anyone got any suggestions?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nope, never looked at a single other contract in the NBA. Do they actually have them?

You are welcome to your opinion about Muss, based no doubt upon the incredible success he has had in the league to date.

What you seem to lack is any feel fro scope or consequences. When you sign a John Salmons to a $5mil ayear deal for forever, thta has costs. You pin yourself financially by dumpig large sums of money into marginally productive players that could be replaced far more cheaply. You don't just get a high-priced Salmons, you can't afford soembody with more talent.

A year from now, after John has averaged his normal 5pts 2reb 2ast for his $5mil, this place will be all abuzz about how can we get free of this contract.
And what if he at least performs adequately?

You're really laying it on about how bad a choice he is. It almost reminds me of how you felt about Kevin.

I guess the comparison for the salary that is stopping me from going completely over to the pessimistic dark side is Marquis Daniels. Similar game, similar stats, similar salary.

I agree, I think this will help Bibby a lot, I think people forget how much Bibby got worn down towards the end of the year not having a reliable back-up and Adelman was forced to play Bibby so many minutes. I also think Salmons could create match-up problems against other back-up points remember he is 6' 7' I will miss Bonzi toughness but I think the Kings made a fair offer and Bonzi wanted more than they were willing to pay, so it's time to move on. Lets see what this team looks like in November. GO KINGS!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Felt about Kevin when?

Be careful.
Be careful?

Sorry, Bricklayer. I don't agree with your extreme negativity about John Salmons. I don't think he's the great acquisition in the history of the Kings but I think he deserves a chance and I think he might prove to be productive. I don't think people who are trying to see the bright side are necessarily "Salmons jockers" and I don't think you can just disregard the fact that, for whatever reason, both Petrie and our new coach see something in him worth pursuing.

Bricklayer

I guess the comparison for the salary that is stopping me from going completely over to the pessimistic dark side is Marquis Daniels. Similar game, similar stats, similar salary.
Daniels has considerably more game than Salmons, and the stats to back it up (indeed his worst season is better than Salmons' best). And that said, that has been a bad contract for the Mavs. Maybe he will finally live up to it this year given a starting spot.

Daniels has considerably more game than Salmons, and the stats to back it up (indeed his worst season is better than Salmons' best). And that said, that has been a bad contract for the Mavs. Maybe he will finally live up to it this year given a starting spot.
I agree Daniels has more game, but he also makes more than Salmons so it sort of evens out. Their games are somewhat similar and if he can fulfill the role with the Kings that Daniels did with the Mavs back when he had more of a role I think he might justify his salary. I hope so anyway...