[OLY] Thread for SPOILER-FREE Olympics discussion

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I just wanted to point out, for the people who complained about the Open Spoiler Olympic discussion, that I did create this thread, right after I created the other one, and it was a graveyard for the entire two weeks of the Olympics... Which kind of makes me wonder how much of the problem was with the spoilers, and how much of it was something else?

But, that's not actually why I came back into this thread. I came back into the thread because I am also watching the Paralympics, and I find myself fascinated by the point system that they use to determine the lineups that are allowed to be on the court in wheelchair basketball. It makes me wonder how able-bodied basketball would work if they used an adapted version of that rule?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think if you had put as much effort into the other thread as you did this one, it would have been a success. I read notes by clicking on the subject that picks the latest notes and not by thread. I kept away from this whole forum during the Olympics as I knew I would accidently stumble across a spoiler. Of course I could have been careful and have no problems but after a few years of doing it the way I do and in my advancing years, I did what I did and stayed away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think if you had put as much effort into the other thread as you did this one, it would have been a success. I read notes by clicking on the subject that picks the latest notes and not by thread. I kept away from this whole forum during the Olympics as I knew I would accidently stumble across a spoiler. Of course I could have been careful and have no problems but after a few years of doing it the way I do and in my advancing years, I did what I did and stayed away.
Same here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I put the same amount of 'effort' into both threads, though: it's just that I continued to post into one thread, and not post in the other one. And the reason why I didn't post in this thread is because I didn't feel like it was my responsibility to keep track of what was a "spoiler" to other people, and what wasn't. If I had kept posting in here, it would only have been a matter of time before I had inadvertently posted a "spoiler," not because I can't keep track of which thread I'm posting in, but because I can't keep track of whether or not other people are watching a live event in real time. It's not like we were talking about Scorpion or Arrow. It was a sporting event: it was happening at the same time in every time zone. It's not like we have spoiler-free discussion threads for Kings games around here...

I mean, I feel like I'm upsetting people by talking about this, even though I'm not upset myself, and that's not what my objective is. I just don't know what else I was supposed to do here: I don't actually want anything to do with spoiler-free discussion of anything, but I made a Spoiler-Free Olympic Discussion thread, anyway, out of consideration for the people that did. Or, at least, out of consideration for the people who said that they did. What more effort could I have put into this thread, other than participating in a discussion that I didn't actually want any parts of?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I put the same amount of 'effort' into both threads, though: it's just that I continued to post into one thread, and not post in the other one. And the reason why I didn't post in this thread is because I didn't feel like it was my responsibility to keep track of what was a "spoiler" to other people, and what wasn't. If I had kept posting in here, it would only have been a matter of time before I had inadvertently posted a "spoiler," not because I can't keep track of which thread I'm posting in, but because I can't keep track of whether or not other people are watching a live event in real time. It's not like we were talking about Scorpion or Arrow. It was a sporting event: it was happening at the same time in every time zone. It's not like we have spoiler-free discussion threads for Kings games around here...

I mean, I feel like I'm upsetting people by talking about this, even though I'm not upset myself, and that's not what my objective is. I just don't know what else I was supposed to do here: I don't actually want anything to do with spoiler-free discussion of anything, but I made a Spoiler-Free Olympic Discussion thread, anyway, out of consideration for the people that did. Or, at least, out of consideration for the people who said that they did. What more effort could I have put into this thread, other than participating in a discussion that I didn't actually want any parts of?
What bothered me was you saying you weren't going to wait until the West Coast broadcast was done (or words to that effect) and you didn't care if people objected. I enjoy talking sports but I don't have the opportunity to live stream events and so I have NO CHOICE but to wait for the regional broadcast. I would have liked to talk about events - especially things like swimming, etc. - but stayed away from the board completely because I just didn't want to argue about spoilers OR have the results spoiled for me by someone who was lucky enough to see the event earlier than I because of where they lived.

As far as the other thread goes, it seems like it just turned into a Breaking News - Latest Scores situation more than any kind of interactive discussion but YMMV.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, it does kind of say "aka Slim's liveblog" right in the thread title...

Anybody who wanted to have an interactive discussion about the Olympics, without having being spoilered could have easily done so in this thread, but they didn't. I do wonder if perhaps conflict-averse people may have taken my remarks in the other thread more harshly than they were intended, which is regrettable, but I don't feel like I said anything that I need to apologize for, but I hope that they were able to enjoy the Olympics elsewhere and on their own terms, anyway.

One nitpick, though: my being able to watch the events when I did was not a function of where I live. Like I said, the events were on at the same time, everywhere: people in Sacramento could (and many probably did) watch the events at the same time I did.

Ultimately, though, I just don't know what else I could have done to make this thread more enticing for people?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, it does kind of say "aka Slim's liveblog" right in the thread title...

Anybody who wanted to have an interactive discussion about the Olympics, without having being spoilered could have easily done so in this thread, but they didn't. I do wonder if perhaps conflict-averse people may have taken my remarks in the other thread more harshly than they were intended, which is regrettable, but I don't feel like I said anything that I need to apologize for, but I hope that they were able to enjoy the Olympics elsewhere and on their own terms, anyway.

One nitpick, though: my being able to watch the events when I did was not a function of where I live. Like I said, the events were on at the same time, everywhere: people in Sacramento could (and many probably did) watch the events at the same time I did.

Ultimately, though, I just don't know what else I could have done to make this thread more enticing for people?
1. Granted on the title...

2. Being somewhat conflict-averse myself, I can understand that logic.

3. Are you speaking of people who can watch live stream? I am unfamiliar with that particular option for reasons I've stated many times before (but that's just me).

4. I don't think there's anything specific YOU could have done. If people truly felt that strongly about discussing the games, they would have done so. I think Twitter has taken away some of the people who used to post in threads like that. I'll be interested in seeing how our game threads go this year...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, see... I can't be arsed with Twitter. I much prefer the liveblog-style message board posting, which also has the benefit of a much higher character limit.

Yes, I was speaking of the live stream.