Olden Polynice on Marvin Bagley

Marvin gave me a little hope last night. If that 3 pt stroke continues to develop mixed with allowing Tyrese to create open looks for him and we might have something cooking. Couple more years in the weight room and maybe, just maybe he can develop into a legit 5 man.
He had a good statistics game. At no point did I think he showed anything different other than the shots dropping more. He still shied from contact. Never once thought he was dominating anything.

Marvin is still making a ton of mistakes. He keeps driving into crowds without a plan, getting cooked 1 on 1 with guards, takes bad shots when he thinks he’s in a groove, and sets crap screens. But their is a lot to work with - especially if the tales of his work ethic are true. Give him another 10 healthy games starting, and I think he’ll start to look like a long time starter at the 4, and a potential beast as a small ball 5.

If you can’t admit he at least tried on defense to a different level last night, your mind is already made up on the kid.
Your right, one game is not going to change my mind. Lets see if he can at least sustain from going from the worst defender in the league to extremely poor for at least 10.

you obviously have not watched a Hawks game.
I know you are trying to be cute and the Hawks defense sucks as I have watched some Hawks games but technically Bagley is the worst defender getting significant minutes in the league.

Players when guarded by Bagley shoot 57.1% which is 15.2% better than their average. He is #1 in that dubious honor in the league (for players playing more than 7 games) and leads by .8% which is a significant margin.

The fact the Kings will have to pay him 10M next year will hamper a rebuild unless he gets measurably better. It’s possible but he has a long way to go.

I know you are trying to be cute and the Hawks defense sucks as I have watched some Hawks games but technically Bagley is the worst defender getting significant minutes in the league.

Players when guarded by Bagley shoot 57.1% which is 15.2% better than their average. He is #1 in that dubious honor in the league (for players playing more than 7 games) and leads by .8% which is a significant margin.

The fact the Kings will have to pay him 10M next year will hamper a rebuild unless he gets measurably better. It’s possible but he has a long way to go.
I have seen him get switched on guards shooting 3 pointers pretty often and also getting driven past. His defense does need to improve. He is rebounding well though, is that factored in as part of defense?

I have seen him get switched on guards shooting 3 pointers pretty often and also getting driven past. His defense does need to improve. He is rebounding well though, is that factored in as part of defense?
It is factored in defensive rating but not in the statistic I cited. The statistic I cited is what percentage do opponents shoot against you versus their average. I prefer it to judge ability to defend one v one.