Olden Polynice on Marvin Bagley

Does he have to get beat out by the other big every.single.game?

When we get beat this badly hopefully there will be some drastic changes (prob not it's Walton tho).

Play Metu!

This is actually been one of my bigger disappointments in Marvin. He is not as aggressive for rebounds or loose balls and sometimes he just gets outmuscled. He seems so lost out there. I don't even know where to begin to fix this.
In the first few games it seemed he (and others) were rebounding aggressively. In a way Kings didn't before in years. So did they all just collectively quit, run out of gas? I know that's one thing we can't blame on the absence of Haliburton.

In the first few games it seemed he (and others) were rebounding aggressively. In a way Kings didn't before in years. So did they all just collectively quit, run out of gas? I know that's one thing we can't blame on the absence of Haliburton.
Both. Like I brought up in the 2nd game or so, you could see what he was doing, he was running short rotations to maximize an entirely effort based strategy. That will only cover up misuse for a short period and when it stops and players aren't willing to burn out for the shrinking pay out it's hit and miss from then on.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the answer here is clearly the lack of playing time for Whiteside who is a big body and demands at times two people to box him out which opens up opportunity for the rest of the team to nab the rebounds

In these 5 games Bagley has looked like the exact same player we saw on opening night of summer league way back in 2018. He has made no improvements to correct any of the weaknesses in his game. He is a major liability on the court every time he steps on it.
What you wrote is not quite true. Bagley has had some good play. Last night was not when though. The Kings as a team could not make a shot or stop the GSW. Meanwhile GSW hit over half their threes and played solid D. Last night the Kings had 20 assists. While GSW had 41. The Kings were also out rebounded by 7. Overall just a bad performance for the Kings, not just Bagley. It was an ugly game start to finish.

Bags is just a fairly one dimensional player.

He just reminds me of Derrick Williams. Always puts his head down as soon as he gets the ball anywhere on the court. Really limited post up game and below average defender.

No ability to shoot from basically anywhere outside 5 feet.

These type of players don't usually amount to much. Can't think of any anyway.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

He just reminds me of Derrick Williams. Always puts his head down as soon as he gets the ball anywhere on the court. Really limited post up game and below average defender.

I liked Derrick Williams. Because we didn’t pick him second, got him for a mediocre vet, and if I squinted my eyes I could pretend a could see potential.

And cool dunks.

Bags is going to be someone else’s Sacramento Era Derrick Williams isn’t he?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I liked Derrick Williams. Because we didn’t pick him second, got him for a mediocre vet, and if I squinted my eyes I could pretend a could see potential.

And cool dunks.

Knowing our luck, he’s going to go somewhere and immediately turn into Giannis.

Most likely, he goes somewhere and ends up being Deangelo Russell (in terms of career path, etc.)

Last edited:

And cool dunks.

I will never forget Derrick Williams' first game for the Kings - vs Clippers. He was jumping out of the gym. He was incredible.

What you wrote is not quite true. Bagley has had some good play. Last night was not when though. The Kings as a team could not make a shot or stop the GSW. Meanwhile GSW hit over half their threes and played solid D. Last night the Kings had 20 assists. While GSW had 41. The Kings were also out rebounded by 7. Overall just a bad performance for the Kings, not just Bagley. It was an ugly game start to finish.
Yes. The team has played horrible the last 2 games. Removing Bagley from the equation would not have fixed that. He's just an easy target for fans. At some point, we should actually expect more from the leaders of the team to keep the team on track.

I was thinking the same comp. We got a pepsi machine.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Russell actually flashed talent and his skill set was tailor made for this era
Bagley has also flashed talent both in his rookie season and in extremely brief flashes this season. John Collins is also showing there are uses for a non-defense playing big

Bagley has also flashed talent both in his rookie season and in extremely brief flashes this season. John Collins is also showing there are uses for a non-defense playing big
I think it's pretty safe to say that there wouldn't be much complaining at all if he was doing what John Collins has been doing but they are worlds apart at the moment.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think it's pretty safe to say that there wouldn't be much complaining at all if he was doing what John Collins has been doing but they are worlds apart at the moment.
To be fair, if we were running the balls to the wall, defense be damned system, a lot of our current issues would be replaced with different just as bad issues.

To be fair, if we were running the balls to the wall, defense be damned system, a lot of our current issues would be replaced with different just as bad issues.
True and this is why I said from the beginning that the Gentry signing will just turn out to be a waste of another two years if/when he takes over for Luke.

Knowing our luck, he’s going to go somewhere and immediately turn into Giannis.

Most likely, he goes somewhere and ends up being Deangelo Russell (in terms of career path, etc.)
This gets said about most of our failed draft picks. Whether WCS or whoever. Guys don’t just blossom because they change teams.

edit: I just don't see how he is going to turn into anything special for at least a couple years. Maybe if we could be patient with him, but it sounds like he is not patient with the team. He is not strong enough to play the 5, has poor vision, low Bball IQ, terrible defense. There are so many holes in his game. He has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
I haven't even seen one dimension this season.

Inside as well to be fair.
Mark and Doug tried to compliment Bagley last game as he walked off the court. It was kind of entertaining because they caught themselves halfway through the sentence and scrambled for whatever they could.

"Bagley coming off the court after a good run in there with......effort and.....rebounds".

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mark and Doug tried to compliment Bagley last game as he walked off the court. It was kind of entertaining because they caught themselves halfway through the sentence and scrambled for whatever they could.

"Bagley coming off the court after a good run in there with......effort and.....rebounds".
It’s almost humorous in its sadness to hear these guys trying so hard to compliment him. If only for everyone’s mental health for a night I hope he has a mini-breakout soon. Lol

It’s almost humorous in its sadness to hear these guys trying so hard to compliment him. If only for everyone’s mental health for a night I hope he has a mini-breakout soon. Lol
All the craziness that just occurred today in Washington has to have taken the focus off the Bagley - Fox father beef for a second right? One can only hope

Marvin gave me a little hope last night. If that 3 pt stroke continues to develop mixed with allowing Tyrese to create open looks for him and we might have something cooking. Couple more years in the weight room and maybe, just maybe he can develop into a legit 5 man.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Marvin gave me a little hope last night. If that 3 pt stroke continues to develop mixed with allowing Tyrese to create open looks for him and we might have something cooking. Couple more years in the weight room and maybe, just maybe he can develop into a legit 5 man.
I keep going back to he’s 21. There’s time and room for growth. I think if the Kings would just not post him up he’s going to be more successful and yes, the 3 point shot could make a world of difference.

Also remember he's playing the 4, guarding the perimeter against small ball 4s. This exposes him to being switched out on guards more often. He's also being asked to shoot the 3 to help spread the floor. There is a lot for him to adjust to. Most of it doesn't fit into what made him successful in high school and college. There are going to be ups and downs for Marvin as he adjusts. The consistency will come over time. His value will be in his ability to play multiple positions.