OFFICIAL Free Agent Tracking Thread (MERGED)

Wonder if Minny still wants Evans now, and they start Wilkins? Or are they planning to use Wilkins for the bench to back Evans/Hassell up at SG or SF? (I'd figure Hassell would start at SG or SF, because of his defense, and Wally comes off the bench to back-up either position) I think the former:

Wilkins to Minnesota

Damien Wilkins, a Sonics restricted free agent, is expected to sign a five-year, $15 million deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA sources say.

The Sonics, who were hoping to retain the 25-year-old forward, have the option to match the Timberwolves' offer but are unlikely to do so because of the amount of money in the deal.

Wilkins, who averaged 6.3 points in 29 games during his rookie campaign last season and performed admirably in the playoffs in place of injured regulars Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic, had also been considering an offer from Portland.

The Trail Blazers are now led by ex-Sonics coach Nate McMillan.

The Timberwolves pursued Wilkins based on advice from new coach Dwane Casey, who left the Sonics' staff this summer after 11 seasons with the club to take over in Minnesota.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002423819_soni06.html

I also see on HoopsHype from Tacoma-Tribune, that Sund will begin negotiations with Reggie Evans next week.

Last edited:
Gee Brick I hope that Jamal Sampson being next to last

on your list of Free agent centers, is not an indication of his abilities

I would hope he is better than some of those Centers listed

How was the order of the list determined?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jkbiker said:
Gee Brick I hope that Jamal Sampson being next to last

on your list of Free agent centers, is not an indication of his abilities

I would hope he is better than some of those Centers listed

How was the order of the list determined?
heh -- yeah, it was kind of in order of ability, but not strict.

Sampson has been a borderline NBA player -- keeps on getting released, only plays a few games a season. Is a very good rebounder and shotblocker though, and an athlete. So to a certain degree I'm nto entirely sure why he's had such a hard time sticking. Guess we'll find out...

Bricklayer said:

Sampson has been a borderline NBA player -- keeps on getting released, only plays a few games a season. Is a very good rebounder and shotblocker though, and an athlete. So to a certain degree I'm nto entirely sure why he's had such a hard time sticking. Guess we'll find out...
haha, talk about a prediction. Lets hope your wrong.:)

Bricklayer said:

Sampson has been a borderline player? Like, when he was 19, he was borderline? The dude just turned 22 3 months ago. Give him a break. He went pro early, this year or last should have been his rookie campaign. Look at it that way and he is a very nice young man.

Bricklayer

captain bill said:
Sampson has been a borderline player? Like, when he was 19, he was borderline? The dude just turned 22 3 months ago. Give him a break. He went pro early, this year or last should have been his rookie campaign. Look at it that way and he is a very nice young man.
Look Bill, the guy has played 38 total games in THREE years. He's not even listed as being part of the NBA at NBA.com. He failed to stick with an EXPANSION team last year. So yes, he is BORDERLINE. As in damn close to being out of the league before we rescued him. Classic case of a kid who came out too early + never really learned the game.

Now I mentioned I do like his rebounding and shotblocking, but it seems that I may be one of the few people around the league who does. Even when he makes a roster, he does not play and does not stick. And yes, his age is the one thing that gives me hope. But if he fails for us too, that's probably pretty much it for his career. Be interesting to see what he does and does not have in camp. Guys with his physical skills should be able to at least touch the floor for teams, so I'm interested to see what, if anything, is the problem with Jamal. If a big man can rebound, block shots, is an athlete, why does nobody seem to want him? Since I've barely seen him touch the floor as a pro, be interested to see what the answer to that question is when he suits up for us.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course there's a reason that a young, athletic rebounder/shotblocker comes at the minimum. Sampson has ZERO offensive ability. He is mechanical and awkward with the ball and despite adding bulk he still has trouble establishing position. He's a foul machine, averaging almost 8 per 48 minutes.

He also struggles in one on one defense and like most shotblockers, he leaves his feet too early, getting him out of position.

But as I've said before, this is an almost no-risk gamble on a kid with the potential to provide many of the things the Kings so desperately need. If he does, fantastic. If he doesn't, who cares?

On the topic of Abdur-Rahim, I am more than slightly biased as a Cal alum, but the fact remains that he is the best available PF at this point. I'd still prefer that Peja be dealt (for Chandler, for one of Nene, Camby or Martin in a three way deal or maybe even in that oldie but goodie trade for Artest) but I have a hard time getting myself all frothy with anger over this move.

The Kings aren't going to win a title this year. There are maybe 7 or 8 big men that could actually elevate this roster to championship contention and guys like Shaq, KG, Duncan, Amare and J O'Neal just aren't being dealt here. Maybe I'm just less annoyed because as a cynic I can't forsee the Sacramento Kings EVER winning a title, but I see this move as an improvement, if not one that improves them in the ways that they really need to be successful.

Steven Hunter will sign $17 million 5-year deal with 76ers:

RealGM - Philadelphia 76ers President Billy King announced today that the Sixers have agreed to terms with free agent center Steven Hunter. Hunter is expected to sign with Philadelphia on Friday, Aug. 12.

"We felt Steven was one of the top free-agent big men out there. He is an extremely important addition to our team," King said. "He is young, athletic and a natural shot-blocker. This move really strengthens our front court."

In four NBA seasons, the 23-year-old, 7-footer has averaged 3.9 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.10 blocks on 54.4 percent shooting from the field in 221 career games with two teams - Orlando (2001-04) and Phoenix (2004-05). Last season with the Suns, Hunter averaged 4.6 points and 3.0 rebounds in a career-high 76 games (3 starts) and appeared in all 15 playoff games off the bench, averaging 4.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.20 blocks per game.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36973/20050811/sixers_grab_steven_hunter/

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Jalen rose is waived under the amnesty clause, I think he'll make a beeline for the Lakers. I think the Lakers are looking to sign DA to start in the backcourt with Kobe, but Rose makes even more sense. He's a weaker defender, but a better ballhandler and initiator.

Rose would start for the Lakers as I can't imagine they'll start the season with Vujacic or Wafer at the point and he'd be a backup for the Kings. I just don't see it.

On another note, the Bulls are supposedly waiving Eddie Robinson under the anmnesty clause, even though they aren't over the cap as it is. At least that's what RealGM is saying. I don't know if that's possible or if the Bulls are just buying him out, but if he's on the market he might be worth a look from the Kings.

Personally, I'd prefer Barnes, but Robinson would bring size and athleticism at the 3, and if he would take the minimum, Petrie should consider signing him.

sactown_draftpick, no offense, but your text messaging/AIM posts are pretty annoying to read.

Last edited:
Nothing since the SAR signing, but we're "getting a role player", and Matt Barnes said it's down to Kings/Spurs as to where he'll be signing.

That whole thing could be Barnes, or it could be someone else, and Barnes coming.

Kings113 said:
Nothing since the SAR signing, but we're "getting a role player", and Matt Barnes said it's down to Kings/Spurs as to where he'll be signing.

That whole thing could be Barnes, or it could be someone else, and Barnes coming.
I don't think we can sign Barnes. SAR took all of our MLE.

He'll take the veteran mininum though. The way he's talked over the past weeks points to that, and believe he even said he would. Why else would he say it's down to the Kings/Spurs (was said 1 or 2 days ago) now...

We wouldn't use any of the MLE on Barnes if we had any left anyways. We would of used that on Maurice or someone like Steven Hunter

Bricklayer

Barnes is an absolute complete freebie. The ONLY reason he would not be in a Sacramento uniform next year is if Petrie doesn't like his game/potential (hey, he does have a shaky jumper -- could be his undoing with us). Otherwise Matt is here if we want him. All we have to do is ask.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CaminoChaos said:
I don't think we can sign Barnes. SAR took all of our MLE.
Any team can sign a player for the minimum. The exceptions like the MLE come into play when you're trying to sign someone for more than the minimum (rookie or veteran).

random: I think we should somehow sign/trade for Francisco Elson. Then, in a couple years, we'd look back at this summer and call it the year we got a bunch of former Cal forwards. Hey, we could even draft Leon Powe next year when he comes out early.

:D just kidding. (altho powe is gonna be really good)

Laughing at the possibilities....I'm a Cal fan tho, and wouldnt mind 4 cal f's ;):)

That's great article, if not for the actual rankings. The "additional free agents" section at the bottom is great.

" Daniel Santiago - Can scare babies, often distracting players on other team in the process."

" Robert Traylor - More agile than he looks. Worth signing as a backup. Can sneak into other team's locker room before the game and eat all their sneakers."

Now those are the kinds of players that the Kings need.

Bricklayer

captain bill said:
That's great article, if not for the actual rankings. The "additional free agents" section at the bottom is great.

" Daniel Santiago - Can scare babies, often distracting players on other team in the process."

" Robert Traylor - More agile than he looks. Worth signing as a backup. Can sneak into other team's locker room before the game and eat all their sneakers."

Now those are the kinds of players that the Kings need.
Some other good ones: :p

Walter McCarty - Appears to have almost no basketball skills, yet has been in league for years.
Omar Cook - Probably knows lots of cool NYC people to chill with. Can pass.
Kevin Willis - Graduated high school 17 years before basketball was invented.
Dajuan Wagner - Awesome at getting sick and injured over and over.
Darrell Armstrong - Is angry at Kevin Willis for being older than him. I didn't look it up, but I think Armstrong is the second oldest player. Nobody remembers who comes in second, Darrell.
Bryon Russell - Can tell cool stories of getting owned by Michael Jordan.
Mamadou N'Diaye - InsideHoops.com's favorite first name in the league. Yo Mamadou what?!?

Chicago Tribune - Free agent Malik Allen has agreed to terms of a multiyear contract with the Bulls, general manager John Paxson said Tuesday.

All summer Paxson has talked about "shoring up the front line," and Allen, 27, should do that. The 6-foot-10-inch power forward played 31/2 seasons with Miami before being traded to Charlotte last winter. He averaged 5.4 points per game last season.

The Bulls are also pursuing restricted free agent Darius Songaila of the Kings, agent Mark Bartelstein said Tuesday.

"They're very interested," Bartelstein said. "But it's complicated because he's a restricted free agent."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37109/20050823/bulls_agree_to_terms_with_malik_allen_songaila_next/

I guess Bulls spent like 2.5-3 mln of their MLE on Duhon so they can only spent the rest of it on Darius - it will pretty cheap for him and probably Jeoff will match it. That's why they think "But it's complicated because he's a restricted free agent."